Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Not a Sens fan but I'm a bit surprised that so few people here appear to be behind Drysdale at #5.

From the outside, getting a potential 1C in Byfield/Stutzle + the highest ranked defenseman in the draft appears to be quite a homerun. Why would you guys prefer two forwards?

I can't speak for others, but for myself I might take Sanderson before Drysdale. The whole two forwards thing is nonsense. I see the organizational depth chart, but you always go BPA. I have a clear top four in Lafreniere, Raymond, Byfield, Stützle, but after that Holtz, Sanderson, Drysdale are pretty much neck in neck.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you think he is the Seth Jones tier? Maybe not as much as physical freak but in terms of potential?
I don't know that he quite gets there (thats probably the best case scenario) but the way he defends is sublime, reminds me of Bouwmeester in his prime, just effortlessly closing gaps and breaking things up, never beaten one on one, and when he gets the puck he pushes the play forward in the other direction quick and efficiently, kind of like Redden back in the day but not looking for that stretch pass. Granted my viewings are limited so maybe i just caught the good stuff, but the potential is there in spades imo.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Well that tells me enough

Serious question. Have you watched a single of his games?
You were a real Dobson guy as well and he’s been good no doubt, Sanderson is probably in that same category where he is going to be a good player after a couple of years but not a massive difference maker which is probably what you should go for here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't know that he quite gets there (thats probably the best case scenario) but the way he defends is sublime, reminds me of Bouwmeester in his prime, just effortlessly closing gaps and breaking things up, never beaten one on one, and when he gets the puck he pushes the play forward in the other direction quick and efficiently, kind of like Redden back in the day but not looking for that stretch pass. Granted my viewings are limited so maybe i just caught the good stuff, but the potential is there in spades imo.
Yeah, this notion that Sanderson isn’t skilled and is a safe pick is strange yet prevalent.

Unreal skater, transition is what leads to goals in the NHL and he’s the best in that aspect in the past 5 drafts, unbelievable on defense.

Could care less if we take him as I’m fine with whomever, I just don’t get the surrounding opinion on him as a safe, defensive d.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You were a real Dobson guy as well and he’s been good no doubt, Sanderson is probably in that same category where he is going to be a good player after a couple of years but not a massive difference maker which is probably what you should go for here.
25 minute a game, 35-40 point d in all situations that shuts down the Matthews and Eichels is as impactful as you will get at 5.

We take him, perfect, if not, I’m perfectly fine with. I don’t even have him in my top 5.

I’d kill to have Dobson, he’d be a pillar on our 1st pairing right side.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
25 minute a game, 35-40 point d in all situations that shuts down the Matthews and Eichels is as impactful as you will get at 5.

We take him, perfect, if not, I’m perfectly fine with. I don’t even have him in my top 5.
You forgot the Lafrenieres

Reactions: Fisticuffer

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Yeah, this notion that Sanderson isn’t skilled and is a safe pick is strange yet prevalent.

Unreal skater, transition is what leads to goals in the NHL and he’s the best in that aspect in the past 5 drafts, unbelievable on defense.

Could care less if we take him as I’m fine with whomever, I just don’t get the surrounding opinion on him as a safe, defensive d.
Transition defence sure but leading to offence? Absolutely not. Heiskanen and Maker are just too good, better skaters as well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Transition defence sure but leading to offence? Absolutely not. Heiskanen and Maker are just too good, better skaters as well.
The best at transition, that is offense. There is no transition defence. Its getting the puck from the defensive and neutral zone into the offensive zone.

They are definitely more skilled, no arguments there. They are better prospects, they’d both be 1st overall guys using hindsight. Better on the PP, better off the blue line. But getting the puck into the attacking offensive zone, he was the best since it began being tracked.

When he’s able to get the pucks up to guys like Tkachuk and Byfield/Stutzle, Batherson, etc., getting the puck into the attacking zone will lead to goals much more so than passing to guys like Borderleau and Rolston.

Transition offense is huge in the NHL, teams who can get the puck from their own zone to the attacking zone get way more chances, chances off the rush are how teams are successful. Sanderson will help whichever team gets him get odd man rushes and chances off the rush big time.

Hes able to get pucks through the neutral zone through skating or passing and get the pucks onto streaking wingers as good as anyone since the stat began being tracked 5 years ago. Even if he isn’t getting the point, he’s the guy starting the attack that leads to the chances and goals.

Again, I’m perfectly fine not taking him, he’s not even in my personal top 5.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
A concern with Rossi is that apparently his numbers are really skewed in games against bad teams. Obviously players are going to score more against bad teams, but the 67's really pounced on teams like Kingston all season.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
A concern with Rossi is that apparently his numbers are really skewed in games against bad teams. Obviously players are going to score more against bad teams, but the 67's really pounced on teams like Kingston all season.
f***in right. Easy points. We should hope that he puts up 3pts against the bottom feeders in February.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He is saying the transition is what leads to offense.

Sanderson is the guy that stops the opposition in its path and gets the puck on Stutzle or Byfield's stick in stride for a rush the other way. He is going to lead to our team being on offense a lot. What he won't do is dangle in the OZ and dance around someone before threading the puck through a seem nobody but him knew was there.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He is saying the transition is what leads to offense.

Sanderson is the guy that srops the opposition in its path and gets the puck on Stutzle or Byfield's stick in stride for a rush the other way. He is going to lead to our team being on offense a lot. What he won't do is dangle in the OZ and dance around someone before threading the puck through a seem nobody but him knew was there.
Transition is a real strength of Drysdale as well. Very important aspect to be strong at.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, it was:

2.75 ppg against the bottom 6 teams

and

1.27 ppg against the top 6 teams

I’m not sure I take too much from those numbers, but he’s got the biggest discrepancy by a huge, huge amount among draft eligibles.

His numbers against the top teams are still very good

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
15-20.... never

McKenzie's list had him 10. "Some People" might have him 5 spots lower. The quote was about what "Some People" think.
I am not advocating their ranking. but I do think they fall into what might be referred to as "Some People"
Future Considerations 23
Elite Prospects 16
Steve Kourianos (DraftAnalyst) 18
Larry Fisher 15
Josh Bell 21

So Brock Otten can absolutely say that Quinn is closer to Perfetti and Rossi than some people think. These people for sure.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
If there was a way to get a good d-man with the Isles pick I would go with Raymond at #5. If PD doesn’t like the d-men in the Isles pick range, he should take Drysdale and then wheel and deal to move up and take Quinn with their 3rd pick.

BTW, this is my last post until the draft, or until something material happens before then. There’s going to be a lot of talking around in circles for the next while so I’m just going to enjoy the summer. Take care folks!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I can't speak for others, but for myself I might take Sanderson before Drysdale. The whole two forwards thing is nonsense. I see the organizational depth chart, but you always go BPA. I have a clear top four in Lafreniere, Raymond, Byfield, Stützle, but after that Holtz, Sanderson, Drysdale are pretty much neck in neck.

I’d throw Rossi into that group too. Just a remarkable player. If he can improve his skating some more he’ll be a a top line player (I think more effective on the wing tho)

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If Raymond is still on the board at 5 him or Perfetti is my pick

Stutzle/Byfield is my 3
Perfetti/Raymond is 5

skill, skill, skill. We have some big boys to make space for them that can also put the biscuit in the net. Batherson, Brown Formenton, Pinto, Tkachuk, even Norris, none of them are small.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Ive watched a bunch of games he isnt close to Drysdale at transitioning the puck. They arent playing in the same leagues in the same situations against the same competition. Its nice to have this data but as soon as you compare these players game in game out visually Drysdale is on different level from a dynamic perspective. Can Sanderson play his wrong side and transition seamlessly to it? I didnt see it in the games I watched. He is a defensive stud, no doubt but he doesnt have franchis player potential.

Not a Sens fan but I'm a bit surprised that so few people here appear to be behind Drysdale at #5.

From the outside, getting a potential 1C in Byfield/Stutzle + the highest ranked defenseman in the draft appears to be quite a homerun. Why would you guys prefer two forwards?
It makes absolutely no sense but I think speaks more to the fact most posters havent actually watched the games. The arguments you get on here are all based on strange statistics and perceived team need. Completely ignoring that what Drysdale did this year as a 17 year old on Canada never happens. Or acknowledgeding he is ahead of both Hughes and Makar at the same age. He is a high character leader who produced at a ppg rate playing in all situations on a brutal OHL team. Sometimes you just watch the player and realize he is better than everyone else. BPA and if he is there at 5 thats a no doubter.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I'd love to add two studs on offense so any one of Perfetti, Raymond or Rossi for the 5th pick would be great. I'd be perfectly fine with Drysdale/Sanderson as well but in that case I'd hope we move up with the islanders pick to nab another high end forward. I'm really hoping we use those second rounders to move up or acquire players via trade.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ive watched a bunch of games he isnt close to Drysdale at transitioning the puck. They arent playing in the same leagues in the same situations against the same competition. Its nice to have this data but as soon as you compare these players game in game out visually Drysdale is on different level from a dynamic perspective. Can Sanderson play his wrong side and transition seamlessly to it? I didnt see it in the games I watched. He is a defensive stud, no doubt but he doesnt have franchis player potential.

Yup. My eye test tells me same thing. Drysdale is clearly better in transitioning there is no question about it in my mind. Not even close, atm. Regarding last sentence, remains to be seen but I do agree that more people are putting stock in what he could become instead of what he’s shown thus far. Sanderson is doing very well while still being very raw, that what makes him so enticing to many. He’s like a later blooming Byfield on defense.

But I do agree Drysdale’s accomplishments are just too hard to ignore thus far. I trust management.

And I don’t know why I’m still debating between Raymond and Drysdale at number 4. Probably cause I’m considering defense makeup and how weak our forward group is.

Reactions: Sen sational

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yup. My eye test tells me same thing. Drysdale is clearly better in transitioning there is no question about it in my mind. Not even close, atm. Regarding last sentence, remains to be seen but I do agree that more people are putting stock in what he could become instead of what he’s shown thus far. Sanderson is doing very well while still being very raw, that what makes him so enticing to many. He’s like a later blooming Byfield on defense.

But I do agree Drysdale’s accomplishments are just too hard to ignore thus far. I trust management.

And I don’t know why I’m still debating between Raymond and Drysdale at number 4. Probably cause I’m considering defense makeup and how weak our forward group is.
After drafting Stutzle/Byfield RD is absolutely the biggest need. They dont have anyone that projects as a number 1 RD in the organization. The forward group is actually deep.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It makes absolutely no sense but I think speaks more to the fact most posters havent actually watched the games. The arguments you get on here are all based on strange statistics and perceived team need. Completely ignoring that what Drysdale did this year as a 17 year old on Canada never happens. Or acknowledgeding he is ahead of both Hughes and Makar at the same age. He is a high character leader who produced at a ppg rate playing in all situations on a brutal OHL team. Sometimes you just watch the player and realize he is better than everyone else. BPA and if he is there at 5 thats a no doubter.
So did the two scouts in McKenzie's poll that had Sanderson 3rd also not watch games, or the guys at hockey prospects? I get that you are high on Drysdale (as most of us are) but while almost everyone has Drysdale ahead of Sanderson too, just because somebody sees something differently than you doesn't mean they haven't watched the player or rely solely on strange statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad