Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Those shortcomings aren’t nothing imo, they are things that he has to work on to be a better player. Remember how raw Karlsson was in his first few years as a pro? Mistakes will be made and you hope they will learn and grow with developmental help and experience. Same goes for any prospects obviously. What I like about Stutzle, much like young Karlsson, is that he’s got a great motor and often hustles back to make up for their mistakes. Oh yeah, the elite skating doesn’t hurt either..

That Karlsson comparison is the most apt I’ve read in a while. That’s a good comp. in terms of talent and current development level. You can only hope they have a similar trajectory - and that Tim never has to play against Matt Cooke.

Take the time to watch what's available ..

I’m struggling just to do a draft sim lol. I mean, do I have to create an account? There isn’t just a website that’s pick team and draft? Its smh frustrating!

Reactions: H2O

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
That Karlsson comparison is the most apt I’ve read in a while. That’s a good comp. in terms of talent and current development level. You can only hope they have a similar trajectory - and that Tim never has to play against Matt Cooke.

Lol, yep. I think Stutzle is a bit ahead of Karlsson in their respective draft year because he’s already played in a pro league against men. But I’m confident if the Sens do draft him, they’d know exactly how to develop him similar to Karlsson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A lot of these players are being over analyzed and any little shortcoming is being made bigger than it is on small sample sizes to back up narratives.
Player's heights .. easy low hanging fruit. 5'9 is too short , 5'10 is fine... regardless of how they play, their body types, and the power in their body and in their game.
Don't like player A's speed but he's actually faster than players you like more. It gets pretty ridiculous. All these players Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond belong in that group looking to be picked at 4, 5, 6 , 7 . All of them were ranked very similarly by McKenzie's scouts .. and are too close to call on a larger poll.. All of them can go in any of those draft spots. None of them are perfect even Drysdale 8/10 scouts have him at 4 .. Still not perfect. Sanderson is in with these guys too. He quite easily could be the first of all of them off the board. I think that nit picky things are being used to right one player off vs another. Small players that lit up the O failed so .. these small OHL players will fail or one of them in particular will. Look at Doug Wickenheiser 1st overall Big (at the time) Western boy C taken 1OA by les Habitants over the smaller flashier Denis Savard playing right in their back yard.. there are examples to go both ways at the draft. Neither case has any bearing on what will happen with these guys.
Luc Robitaille went in the 9th round ... skating issues.. I remember them saying Bossy had skating issues he went 15OA after 3 great years in the q... Mike Crombeen the household name went 5OA that year. The Habs picked Mark Napier 10OA ,, nice player not Mike Bossy. The year Robitaille went in the 9th round .. he finished effectively tied for 1st in scoring in the Q . He was tied with a teammate Guy Rouleau .. who was 5'9 scored 91 goals and had 100 assists... never got a sniff.. well much of one anyway. I saw those two a few times playing for Hull.

I think if we want to minimize the risk at pick #5 , we should go with Sanderson. He will be an NHL D man and very likely a good one. If you want to swing a little harder for it pick any of those other 4. Flaws have been found in all of them. I think we have to base it on what they've shown they can do consistently and at their best when they play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A lot of these players are being over analyzed and any little shortcoming is being made bigger than it is on small sample sizes to back up narratives.
Player's heights .. easy low hanging fruit. 5'9 is too short , 5'10 is fine... regardless of how they play, their body types, and the power in their body and in their game.
Don't like player A's speed but he's actually faster than players you like more. It gets pretty ridiculous. All these players Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond belong in that group looking to be picked at 4, 5, 6 , 7 . All of them were ranked very similarly by McKenzie's scouts .. and are too close to call on a larger poll.. All of them can go in any of those draft spots. None of them are perfect even Drysdale 8/10 scouts have him at 4 .. Still not perfect. Sanderson is in with these guys too. He quite easily could be the first of all of them off the board. I think that nit picky things are being used to right one player off vs another. Small players that lit up the O failed so .. these small OHL players will fail or one of them in particular will. Look at Doug Wickenheiser 1st overall Big (at the time) Western boy C taken 1OA by les Habitants over the smaller flashier Denis Savard playing right in their back yard.. there are examples to go both ways at the draft. Neither case has any bearing on what will happen with these guys.
Luc Robitaille went in the 9th round ... skating issues.. I remember them saying Bossy had skating issues he went 15OA after 3 great years in the q... Mike Crombeen the household name went 5OA that year. The Habs picked Mark Napier 10OA ,, nice player not Mike Bossy. The year Robitaille went in the 9th round .. he finished effectively tied for 1st in scoring in the Q . He was tied with a teammate Guy Rouleau .. who was 5'9 scored 91 goals and had 100 assists... never got a sniff.. well much of one anyway. I saw those two a few times playing for Hull.

I think if we want to minimize the risk at pick #5 , we should go with Sanderson. He will be an NHL D man and very likely a good one. If you want to swing a little harder for it pick any of those other 4. Flaws have been found in all of them. I think we have to base it on what they've shown they can do consistently and at their best when they play.
Good post. Obviously, predicting what prospects are going to turn into at the NHL level is an educated guess at best.

I had a brother-in-law who was one of the best players in a region of Southern Ontario, this was before the draft existed, he was older than me & I didn't know him at the time. The story has been told to me countless times by numerous people in the area & friends of the family. He got an invite to the NYR, Emil Francis was the coach & Francis took him aside after a couple of practices & said he was an extremely talented hockey player. In fact, more talented than a lot of players already on his team, but at 5'8" he was just too small & Francis thought he would get killed out there & he got cut. Of course, it was a different time & hockey was a much tougher sport obviously than today.

His brother was a big tough guy, known very well in their region as one of the toughest guys around. He came up through the London area hockey systems back then & he also got an invite to an NHL camp. He made their farm team & eventually played in the NHL as an enforcer, but never had the hockey talent his brother had. He played against Bobby Orr in fact when he was with the California Golden Seals & still does some things around hockey & the London Knights. I asked Brad Marsh at Marshy's once when he attended our table if he knew him since he came up through the Knights as well & he said he did. Times have changed probably for the best & more & more players with talent are given much more of a chance. I also remember Wickenheiser, I wanted the Habs to draft him, everyone was wrong about that guy including me.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Rossi if he is there,even though he is small he looks like he can be a real weapon....Besides Ottawa has some big wingers that could make some room for him

Reactions: JackieDaytona

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's very possible that Stutzle could play centre or LW in Ottawa & my guess is LW. However, I also agree that Ottawa has some issues at centre which is why I think they should look to acquire Lundell, if they don't get Byfield.

Stutzle & Lundell together on a line would be great & more valuable to Ottawa than another wizard on the wing, if they are weak at centre. It is afterall an important position in the NHL to be strong down the middle.
Rossi??A fast skilled enter beside big wingers like Stuz,Tkachuk,Form...Could be pretty good

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Rossi??A fast skilled enter beside big wingers like Stuz,Tkachuk,Form...Could be pretty good
He could be, I prefer Lundell only if we don't get Byfield. Rossi as an individual player might be more talented. But Lundell to me is a more complete player that brings a line together & does more for the team as a whole.

I don't get that feel with Rossi, I get a dynamic player that creates a deficiency for the team on a line, but has the ability to put up a lot of pts. Of course, I could be totally off with this guy & Perfetti & Raymond. I think Lundell becomes more valuable to Ottawa at centre with Stutzle on the wing, but who knows, maybe they both become great players.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He could be, I prefer Lundell only if we don't get Byfield. Rossi as an individual player might be more talented. But Lundell to me is a more complete player that brings a line together & does more for the team as a whole.

I don't get that feel with Rossi, I get a dynamic player that creates a deficiency for the team on a line, but has the ability to put up a lot of pts. Of course, I could be totally off with this guy & Perfetti & Raymond. I think Lundell becomes more valuable to Ottawa at centre with Stutzle on the wing, but who knows, maybe they both become great players.
Rossi has that elusive playmaker style that would seem to be a great fit with guys like Tkachuk Bath etc...However I really dont have any clue if it would work out...One thing we both seem to agree on is we need the most skilled center we can get in this draft

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Rossi plays a complete game, not sure where the idea of being a “deficiency” is coming from.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
RHD ,over wingers for me...But centers over everything else...Lol
BPA all the way. Sens dont even know what holes they are going to have once they start competing they are so far away. They are getting a center at 3, just take the highest guy on the list after that. I have no idea who that is but I will trust their judgement. If I had to guess who they take at 5 id bet its one of Sanderson, Drysdale, Perfetti or Quinn.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Rossi has that elusive playmaker style that would seem to be a great fit with guys like Tkachuk Bath etc...However I really dont have any clue if it would work out...One thing we both seem to agree on is we need the most skilled center we can get in this draft

Agreed, thanks for being positive about it, I normally get a lot of blow back, well you know why.

Rossi plays a complete game, not sure where the idea of being a “deficiency” is coming from.

Poor choice of words maybe, I just think that he creates a problem for the team that someone like Lundell does not with his lack of size & skating. Lundell to me next to Stutzle creates a more dynamic duo with less concern for some reason. I'm just not comfortable with a small man at centre, I don't see him beating out the centres we already have tbh.

I’d much rather have Perfetti, Raymond, or Drysdale

Three other guys I'm not that comfortable with, maybe it's me, it has to be me? I just think Ottawa has the opportunity to build a big tough skilled team, that's the kind of team I would like to see here & drafting any of these guys probably doesn't accomplish that for me. I would like to see them build a playoff team moreso that a finesse regular season team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed, thanks for being positive about it, I normally get a lot of blow back, well you know why.

Poor choice of words maybe, I just think that he creates a problem for the team that someone like Lundell does not with his lack of size & skating. Lundell to me next to Stutzle creates a more dynamic duo with less concern for some reason. I'm just not comfortable with a small man at centre, I don't see him beating out the centres we already have tbh.

Three other guys I'm not that comfortable with, maybe it's me, it has to be me? I just think Ottawa has the opportunity to build a big tough skilled team, that's the kind of team I would like to see here & drafting any of these guys probably doesn't accomplish that for me. I would like to see them build a playoff team moreso that a finesse regular season team.
You can add size and toughness later on. You can't pass on the high skill of these players. Nobody in the top 10 is even huge and tough aside from Byfield who is big.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
BPA all the way. Sens dont even know what holes they are going to have once they start competing they are so far away. They are getting a center at 3, just take the highest guy on the list after that. I have no idea who that is but I will trust their judgement. If I had to guess who they take at 5 id bet its one of Sanderson, Drysdale, Perfetti or Quinn.

Clearly it will be up to Ottawa's scouting staff & the GM & whether these guys have convinced PD which players they have ranked where & why. We have already seen in past drafts that they don't always follow who the "experts" on TV think should be the next guy on their list to be drafted. Even when they say they get their rankings from NHL scouts. There is always one team that goes off the board in every rd it seems. It's always amusing to here draft the BPA & when they draft a guy the board goes crazy because they think there are so many other players who they believe are better players. Was Lodin the BPA? There are literally countless examples.

We can't get that much consensus on here on who the best player is & I'm not necessarily sure that's what they do in all instances either. While they do have a lot of holes to fill they also have IMO 6 forwards already who I think are future players for this team in the top 9. If they add Stutzle & Lundell as I'm suggesting that's two 3rds of a top 6 line IMO & that much closer to having three good lines. They also have a number of picks for the 2021 draft to fill a few more holes.

IMO the biggest weakness on this team at the moment is on defence where I think they are mediocre at best. They also have an opportunity to address that area, but do they need Drysdale more or Sanderson more? Who improves the team more & addresses their weaknesses more? IMO that's Sanderson, but I certainly understand why so many think Drysdale is the better offensive player. Drysdale could be the better player, but Sanderson IMO might just address more of their weaknesses. Does that make sense?

I think it could also come down to how they want to build this new team, what kind of a team do they want when all is said & done. IMO there are a lot of considerations as to what goes into deciding who the BPA actually is from every team's different point of view & need. What kind of team do they want to build, IMO is a bigger question? They already have a number of good young guys & will certainly add a bunch of new ones in this draft & the next. They are looking for the best players possible, but at the same time could be looking to address weaknesses & holes. It's certainly fascinating for hockey junkies like us to dive deep into.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You can add size and toughness later on. You can't pass on the high skill of these players. Nobody in the top 10 is even huge and tough aside from Byfield who is big.
Lundell has an excellent combination of skill & size & IMO should be in the conversation from #4 to #12. He can play on the PP or PK, is good defensively, good skater, good playmaker, he can do everything well, he's a complete player IMO. He adds a much needed skillset at centre, a position that could use an upgrade on this team. Admittedly, he could also turn into Jesse Puljujarvi too, who knows?

I like Sanderson at #5 & hopefully they can trade up to draft Lundell with the NYI pick. Stutzle, Sanderson & Lundell for the first three picks would IMO really help this team advance their rebuild & help to create a team that is as good defensively as it is offensively. But that's just my preference, who knows what they will do. I'd like to see them trade up again to draft one of Schneider or Barron, to improve their future defence too.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Lundell has an excellent combination of skill & size & IMO should be in the conversation from #4 to #12. He can play on the PP or PK, is good defensively, good skater, good playmaker, he can do everything well, he's a complete player IMO. He adds a much needed skillset at centre, a position that could use an upgrade on this team. Admittedly, he could also turn into Jesse Puljujarvi too, who knows?

I like Sanderson at #5 & hopefully they can trade up to draft Lundell with the NYI pick. Stutzle, Sanderson & Lundell for the first three picks would IMO really help this team advance their rebuild & help to create a team that is as good defensively as it is offensively. But that's just my preference, who knows what they will do. I'd like to see them trade up again to draft one of Schneider or Barron, to improve their future defence too.

Calling Lundell a good skater is a bit of stretch. I'd say skating is his weakness. He doesn't look that fast, and his technique is not very good; however, I think he is a good player. I have him ranked 9th.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I like Barron but have a bad opinion on Schneider.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Sanderson is the style of Dman we need, I'm hoping for him at 5.

I think adding Sanderson and JBD to our top 4 in a couple years would be great, that two way style can help Chabot Lassi Wolanin and Brannstrom

Sam Cosentino has us taking Byfield and Sanderson

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Rossi would be BPA over all those guys if he was two inches taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad