Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lundell at #5 would just be poor asset management. If Dorion wants him that badly he might as well trade down a few spots and pick up another few picks or a player to whoever offers up the most to move up.

I still think drafting at #5 leaves us with some amazing options, and it would be worth the risk to draft a big name player like Drysdale, Perfetti, Raymond or Rossi as opposed to a "safe"choice in Lundell.

Other teams and their fans are going to envy us come draft day when we walk away with Byfielf or Stutzle and one of Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti or Sanderson...

I disagree with this, but understand that you clearly think those players are ahead of Lundell while I think Lundell is equally as valuable a player as any of those. As PD has said, he thinks that #4 to #12 are all in the same tier with nuance differences between them. The vast majority of people on here LOVE FLASH, while a guy like Lundell has a great deal of talent is not flashy. I agree that maybe PD could trade up to get him, but that is only determined if someone ahead of him will trade down. That's something he will have to know before the #5 pick is made.

I could care less what other team's fans think, that shouldn't matter in the least. The players you mention I place in the same tier as Lundell & if Stutzle falls to Ottawa, like Burrowsaurus I also think he will be a LWer in the NHL. And Ottawa might just need another big centre if some of their centres now don't work out. IMO you have to have strength down the middle to win in the NHL which IMO makes Lundell more important than those other guys. IMO Rossi & Perfetti are too small to play centre in the NHL & will most likely play LW where Ottawa already has some very good LWers including Stutzle if he falls to them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It would be fun to do a poll similar to the top Sens prospects one where we count down which players we'd most want at 5. Just exclude the top 3 consensus guys and it would be really interesting. Anyone up for it?
It was already done wasn’t it?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What about his game do you feel doesn't translate to center in the NHL?

He can cover a lot of ice with his dynamic skating, is a great puck distributor, has projectable size, and while his defensive gane is still a work in progress he shows a willingness to play both ends of the ice. He's been a center all his career until this year i think, but was playing in a mens league so moving to the wing to adapt in a new league against bigger older players isnt unusual. He move back to center in the wjc and looked good doing it.
he was not moved back to center full time at the WJC. it was in that last game where they went with the "all kid" line wth peterka and reichel. he was at center.

Its already been said he played virtually no center last year. yes it was against men. maybe it was for adaptation purposes? or maybe he was just so far superior to every other german junior player and thats why he was a center in junior.

as soon as he played against men he was a winger. in the WJC to th ebest of my recollection and i think im right because i rememeber asking myself why hes not playing center.

alledgedly his own teammate said he thinks he will be a winger.. he looks like a winger on the ice. i dont think his attributes are realy that of a center. especially inthe best league in the world.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Looked good at C at the WJC.
A) i don think played center for most of the WJC. he was never picking up Center responsibilties or assignements. one game where miller and ferraro went crazy that peterka and reichecland stutsle were on together.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
he was not moved back to center full time at the WJC. it was in that last game where they went with the "all kid" line wth peterka and reichel. he was at center.

Its already been said he played virtually no center last year. yes it was against men. maybe it was for adaptation purposes? or maybe he was just so far superior to every other german junior player and thats why he was a center in junior.

as soon as he played against men he was a winger. in the WJC to th ebest of my recollection and i think im right because i rememeber asking myself why hes not playing center.

alledgedly his own teammate said he thinks he will be a winger.. he looks like a winger on the ice. i dont think his attributes are realy that of a center. especially inthe best league in the world.
I would agree with you. I am praying the Kings take him. He's my #3 so I am not hating, but I think the gap is big between Byfield and the rest.

Reactions: aragorn

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
A) i don think played center for most of the WJC. he was never picking up Center responsibilties or assignements. one game where miller and ferraro went crazy that peterka and reichecland stutsle were on together.

Oh that's interesting. I have to admit I'm not really up on my X's and O's enough to really notice who's picking up which responsibilities but that good to know!

One thing I'd argue though, is that Petterson played almost all wing until the NHL and seemed to make the transition fairly smoothly. I think when you have elite IQ you can generally make that transition, although there might be growing pains along the way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh that's interesting. I have to admit I'm not really up on my X's and O's enough to really notice who's picking up which responsibilities but that good to know!

One thing I'd argue though, is that Petterson played almost all wing until the NHL and seemed to make the transition fairly smoothly. I think when you have elite IQ you can generally make that transition, although there might be growing pains along the way.
well look im not the expert this is what i saw i could be wrong. this is what think. im not talking deep X and O stuff, he just generally was not doing what centers usually do. at least not in the WJC. and i will admit i have seen zero games of his when he was playing junior in germany.

I had no idea petterson played lots of wing before the NHL. it could be a Euro thing, kids dont play center unless they are true pure centers (Lundell). i also dont watch many canucks games.

Reactions: BigRig4

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would agree with you. I am praying the Kings take him. He's my #3 so I am not hating, but I think the gap is big between Byfield and the rest.
i would agree.

Just becasue i say he wont play center doesnt mean i wouldnt draft him. nothing to do with hating the kid.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think if the sens draft stutzle at 3, taking a center at 5 is their best bet. Given how close in skill that cluster after 2 and 3 is.

They need to come out of this draft with a top line center. If byfield falls to them, then take whoever they think is best at 5.

Unless there is some guy they view as heads and tails better than the rest of them. Then bpa is probably best.

In essence I have no clue what they should do.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think if the sens draft stutzle at 3, taking a center at 5 is their best bet. Given how close in skill that cluster after 2 and 3 is.

They need to come out of this draft with a top line center. If byfield falls to them, then take whoever they think is best at 5.

Unless there is some guy they view as heads and tails better than the rest of them. Then bpa is probably best.

I don’t think there are any guaranteed top line centres at 5. I expect Perfetti to go 4, but he’d be my next choice

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don’t think there are any guaranteed top line centres at 5. I expect Perfetti to go 4, but he’d be my next choice

Maybe not. But increasing their odds I think might be the best bet.

Peretti or rossi or someone have the potential to reach that status, if things go right.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

i think if lundell passes 11 we will see a hard push tpo trade up

Reactions: GCK

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
If Dorion believes there is a tier from 4-12, he should do all that he can to move up and grab another guy in that 4-12 range. The combination of having so many picks, a small scouting staff and less to go off of (shortened CHL season without playoffs, no memorial cup, no u18s) makes me believe that you try and grab what you believe to be sure things.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Tough to win faceoffs as a 17 year old in mens professional hockey. Doubt Byfield would have permanently been a centre either.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Funny that so many people like Rossi but not Quinn. There is a true anti north american bias on this forum. @FormentonTheFuture is right. Blatantly obvious if you have this stance you didnt watch the 67's at all. Will people openly admit that they dont like Quinn because he is from the Ottawa Valley. Do you have it in you?

Can I borrow your crystal ball?
I have no bias, but Rossi plays a great 2 way game has 2 years of production in the league, plays a far more important position and is a highly competitive kid who lives for hockey. Quinn is an extremely talented late riser who is also very competitive, has a bit of an edge to his game.

I wouldn’t take either at five but I would trade up to get Quinn anywhere from 7 on. I feel PD will be happy with his Centre depth after 3OA and won’t look to add another centre in the top 15.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
where did you read the Brad Richards comparison i would like to hear more.

heard it on a broadcast and it makes sense to me, same body type, similar skill sets, confidence, great skaters, high hockey IQ - Richards played right point on the PP and was maybe the best in the NHL at it, not sure what Stuz does but if he runs a PP like Richards then The pick will be a home run

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Why wouldn't Lundell who has been ranked right around 10th OA for a while be a top line centre possibility, especially given that this draft is suppose to be so deep? A number of the players ranked ahead of Lundell have a lot more flash, but Lundell is a much more solid good all around player. And if Stutzle falls to Ottawa with all his flash & playmaking ability I think that Lundell would be the kind of centre that would compliment his game. They would effectively make 2/3rds of a potential top line someday. Ottawa should also have a very high 1st rd pick in the 2021 draft & should target Dylan Guenther RW to play on their right side.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Stutzle played C vs Russia on Dec 31st in game 4 for Germany. He then went on to play C for all 3 games vs Kaz.

When I watch him play C, he has all the attributes and shows the intelligence and understanding on how to play C. It's a NON issue. The dude can and will play both C and W in the NHL just like Draisaitl does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad