Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is absolutely not true. They scored at an almost identical clip as 16 year olds. If you want to talk about development curves Drysdale is ahead of any 17 year old draft eligible canadian defenseman in 20 years.

I have never seen more illegitimate slander of a prospect than Drysdale than on the sens board. Its unbelievable.
I don’t know. If he a better 17 year old than eckblad was? I don’t think so. Or doughty ? Or even pietraneglo? I mean he’s in elite company maybe but not ahead let alone far ahead

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think you’re being deliberately obtuse. I’ll be moving on!

I'm not being deliberately obtuse at all

You say forward i interpret that to mean winger

Your example list of players includes both wingers and centers

While a centre is one of 3 positions that are forward, a centre would never refer to himself as a forward, he's a center

The point your making is different depending on what you are talking about. I'd never trade high end D for high end Ws, for a high end C that's a different thing

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That is flat out wrong. Check out their comparable midget year in the GTHL. Clarke was 113 points in 78 games. His defensive play is as good in his rookie season as Drysdale was this year. He is far more physical and bigger but is still an elite skater. Drysdale is good but you keep calling him the best D prospect in 20 years is absolute nonsense. He has benefitted from a terrible Canadian D crop for 2001s and 2002s. You mention the role he played at the WJC as a 17 year old, but you fail to put in the context that he would not have made the team most years as a 17 yo D.

GTHL stats? Are you kidding me? Show me the last time a 17 year old D played like he did at the WJC for team Canada. Show me one instance.

THEY WON THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT what are you talking about. How is that context?.... Thats a biased opinion that has no relevance to the situation.

I don’t know. If he a better 17 year old than eckblad was? I don’t think so. Or doughty ? Or even pietraneglo? I mean he’s in elite company maybe but not ahead let alone far ahead
He is comparable to all of them, only Ekblad made team Canada at 17 and wasnt as impressive as Drysdale was in his performance.

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
GTHL stats? Are you kidding me? Show me the last time a 17 year old D played like he did at the WJC for team Canada. Show me one instance.

THEY WON THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT what are you talking about. How is that context?.... Thats a biased opinion that has no relevance to the situation.

He is comparable to all of them, only Ekblad made team Canada at 17 and wasnt as impressive as Drysdale was in his performance.
There was very little to choose from as Canada has not produced very many good D in 2001 or 2002. Drysdale was put on the team as the 7th D and moved in to the top 6 due to injury and held his own. In other years he would not have made the team. This is not to take away from Drysdale but you make it seem like he was that teams best D which is not true. Drysdale is good and would anchor the 2nd pair in Ottawa but I can say with 100% certainty that he is not even close to the best Canadian D draft prospect in the last 20 years. The hyperbole with which you talk about Drysdale is incredible. He is a smallish, great skating D man with decent offensive potential but he is not the second coming of Doughty, Pietrangelo or even Reilly.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm starting to wonder about what the Sens think of Brannstrom. Is he the 2nd pair PMD behind Chabot or not? I'm a big advocate of having high end PMDs but I'm starting to think that if they like what they have and 5 thru 8 is so close, maybe they grab a winger.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Your whole argument is based around a small sample size of seven games. You don’t have to agree with every opinion on here but you tend to think everything that’s opposite of your position is blasphemous.

Yohan

Jun 26, 2018
Sens biggest needs are dynamic game changing top forwards. Defense isn't biggest concern.

3rd: Byfield/Stützle
5th: Raymond/Holtz/Rossi

Then try to trade up third pick and take Askarov or some good defenseman. Guhle or Schneider for example. Or why not Jack Quinn and next year pick defenseman/-men

Last edited:
Reactions: alfstheman

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
There are lots of good big stay at home defense this draft who can be taken in the 2nd round or later to fill out that hole. We have more than enough shots to hit on one or two this year.

All our first rounders should be aimed at elite high end skill forwards. Stutzle, Rossi, Quinn/Jarvis would be my ideal

Reactions: Yohan and NB613

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
When it comes down to it, Pierre from Orleans may not want to take a defenseman at 5, as that pick would be expected to join Chabot in the top pair soon enough, relegating his proudest day ever as a general manager to........Mark Stone for a 2nd pair defenseman. That's Milbury-esque.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Sanderson showing off some skills

He makes a difficult play, cutting off the angle and using an active stick, look so easy.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
When it comes down to it, Pierre from Orleans may not want to take a defenseman at 5, as that pick would be expected to join Chabot in the top pair soon enough, relegating his proudest day ever as a general manager to........Mark Stone for a 2nd pair defenseman. That's Milbury-esque.
Brannstrom becoming a stud second pairing dman would not be bad at all. Trading a player at the deadline will never get you an equivalent player in return.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sens biggest needs are dynamic game changing top forwards. Defense isn't biggest concern.

3rd: Byfield/Stützle
5th: Raymond/Holtz/Rossi

Then try to trade up third pick and take Askarov or some good defenseman. Guhle or Schneider for example. Or why not Jack Quinn and next year pick defenseman/-men
So all of a sudden people want to draft for need? Makes no sense.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So all of a sudden people want to draft for need? Makes no sense.

Craziness, who would want to acquire what they need ?

There is little consensus on BPA, I’m sure the Sens have some type of BPA rank but the player are probably pretty close. I absolutely hope they attempt to address their organization “needs”.

Reactions: GCK and aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

context needs to be added to "made team canada" we have a dry spell on d men for a while now, no where near the depth that was there in the past.

drysdale was one of th ebest d men there this year but i didnt think the other kids were particularly great compared to past years. so drysdale making this team at 17 and doughty not making his at 17 could be two totally different circumstance. its hard for me to say comparable to all them honestly. this is a weak d class and i dont know for sure if hes benefitting from that but i know with doughty and eckblad they were absolutely cannot miss arguably should be going first players.

That being said, drysdale is still one of my 3 preferences at 5, he may be the third of the 3 but hes there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
context needs to be added to "made team canada" we have a dry spell on d men for a while now, no where near the depth that was there in the past.

drysdale was one of th ebest d men there this year but i didnt think the other kids were particularly great compared to past years. so drysdale making this team at 17 and doughty not making his at 17 could be two totally different circumstance. its hard for me to say comparable to all them honestly. this is a weak d class and i dont know for sure if hes benefitting from that but i know with doughty and eckblad they were absolutely cannot miss arguably should be going first players.

That being said, drysdale is still one of my 3 preferences at 5, he may be the third of the 3 but hes there.

Doughty's team had Alzner(5oa), Hickey(4oa), Schenn(5oa), Subban(43oa) Godfrey(34oa) and Pyett(217oa)

Vs

Byram(4oa), Smith(17oa), Bernard Docker(26oa), Addison(53oa), McIssac(36 oa), Bahl(55oa)

I imagine its safe to say Doughty's team was tougher to crack and play big mins on.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Doughty's team had Alzner(5oa), Hickey(4oa), Schenn(5oa), Subban(43oa) Godfrey(34oa) and Pyett(217oa)

Vs

Byram(4oa), Smith(17oa), Bernard Docker(26oa), Addison(53oa), McIssac(36 oa), Bahl(55oa)

I imagine its safe to say Doughty's team was tougher to crack and play big mins on.
That was Doughty’s 18 year old season where he made the team.

His 17 year old season was a significantly better D core

Alzner
Russel
Bourdon
Staal
Franson
Letang
Parent

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm starting to wonder about what the Sens think of Brannstrom. Is he the 2nd pair PMD behind Chabot or not? I'm a big advocate of having high end PMDs but I'm starting to think that if they like what they have and 5 thru 8 is so close, maybe they grab a winger.

I've been wondering this for a while now, if they think Drysdale, Sanderson or even Guhle could be a better player than Brannstrom wouldn't it make sense to move Brannstrom & upgrade another position? Especially if you can get into the 1st rd by moving him & come away with 4 1st rd picks?

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Vs

Safe to say alot of those picks busted on the team Doughty was on as well.

That was Doughty’s 18 year old season where he made the team.

His 17 year old season was a significantly better D core

Alzner
Russel
Bourdon
Staal
Franson
Letang
Parent
Yes that D core was stacked. I have already said that Doughty was a better prospect than Drysdale but I dont think he is far off.

Your whole argument is based around a small sample size of seven games. You don’t have to agree with every opinion on here but you tend to think everything that’s opposite of your position is blasphemous.
He had the opportunity to be in that position because he is good then took advantage of it. So no its not based on 7 games. Its based on him being the captain of team Canada at the Hlinka and his entire resume leading up to this draft. Its ok to not like the player but dont make things up or try to simplify them to cator to your bias.

I want the sens to go BPA, most around here appear to want them to draft for need. I dont agree with that concept. However the argument has now shifted to slandering players innacurately to try and push someones view point. You will see I have not done that with any players or prospects the sens might draft. I dont see the purpose of presenting a fictional argument.

Last edited:

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Drysdale WJC is getting a bit overrated. This seems to happen a lot with Canadian prospects. Sure he was good and polished for a 17 year old but its not like he dominated the tournament.

He played solid on a team that was loaded and won the tournament.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
While a centre is one of 3 positions that are forward, a centre would never refer to himself as a forward, he's a center

The point your making is different depending on what you are talking about. I'd never trade high end D for high end Ws, for a high end C that's a different thing

I have no horse in this race but the 1st paragraph I quoted is just wrong. Many centers refer to themselves as forwards. It’s not like soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad