Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
What if we draft as 3-5, Jamie Drysdale and Jake Sanderson. Our defence will be ridiculously good. Arguably in the future, top pair - team Canada. Team USA and Sweden.

Assuming by some miracle both hit their peak, as well as our other current d-men...we'd have an unbelievable D core...that would likely be split up or shipped off by the time we're ready to contend since we have no forwards.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What if we draft as 3-5, Jamie Drysdale and Jake Sanderson. Our defence will be ridiculously good. Arguably in the future, top pair - team Canada. Team USA and Sweden.
And then lose two of them in a couple years because we can’t pay big money for guys playing on your bottom pair.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No point having all of Chabot Sanderson drysdale Brannstrom and jbd that would be one expensive defense and would leave a weak forward group

a don’t mind drafting a center and top defensmen though

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No point having all of Chabot Sanderson drysdale Brannstrom and jbd that would be one expensive defense and would leave a weak forward group

a don’t mind drafting a center and top defensmen though
I’m starting to question if either are true too d men

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I am of the very strong believer of having 3 star forwards and 3 excellent/star defenders and then revolving your team around those assets. The Ken Holland and then later the Bowman approach.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Frazen/Hossa

Lidstrom
Rafalski
Kronwall

vs

Kane
Toews
Hossa

Keith
Seabrook
Hjammer

Imo we have the following:

XXXX
XXXX
Tkachuk

Chabot
XXXX
XXXX

The first two XXXX's over Tkachuk can be found in this draft potentially. Say Stutzle/Byfield and Raymond and I firmly believe we could maybe find our defense core already in the system in say JBD and Brannstrom or via trade:

Stutzle/Byfield
Raymond
Tkachuk

Chabot
Sergachev
JBD

That's why im kind of a firm believer we really need to pick 2 forwards because as you can see from above, we have a legit possible top 5 defender who can lead us on that front but we severly lack in offensive ability relative to previous cup winners or powerhouses. I had to rank our best offensive talent in the 3rd slot. We do have Batherson, who im very excited about, but he's still a few season to possiblyyyyy filling the second slot.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
if we pick Sanderson and Drysdale we will be firmly secured for the defensive core in the future, imo.

Stutzle/By
XXXXX
Tkachuk

Chabot
Sanderson/Drysdale
Brannstrom/JBD

and maybe we trade future assets(including our excellent defensive depth) to secure that 2nd top spot or someone internally secures it like Batherson or Brown, or maybe we trade up from NYI and try to get Quinn or Lundell who might one day fill it and secures us more safely in the future core? Or maybe next year's pick or the NYI 1st and 4 seconds we hit homerun in just one of them?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I am of the very strong believer of having 3 star forwards and 3 excellent/star defenders and then revolving your team around those assets. The Ken Holland and then later the Bowman approach.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Frazen/Hossa

Lidstrom
Rafalski
Kronwall

vs

Kane
Toews
Hossa

Keith
Seabrook
Hjammer

XXXX
XXXX
Tkachuk

Chabot
XXXX
XXXX

The first two XXXX's over Tkachuk can be found in this draft potentially. Say Stutzle/Byfield and Raymond and I firmly believe we could maybe find our defense core already in the system in say JBD and Brannstrom or via trade:

Stutzle/Byfield
Raymond
Tkachuk

Chabot
Sergachev
JBD

That's why im kind of a firm believer we really need to pick 2 forwards because as you can see from above, we have a legit possible top 5 defender who can lead us on that front but we severly lack in offensive ability relative to previous cup winners or powerhouses. I had to rank our best offensive talent in the 3rd slot. We do have Batherson, who im very excited about, but he's still a few season to possiblyyyyy filling the second slot.
Cup winning high end forwards are harder to find than 2nd and 3rd dmen. Chabot is the 1D and is still getting better.

As it stands, nobody on the Sens roster is as talented as Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Ovie, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Tarasenko, O’Reilly, Kane and Towes etc.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Cup winning high end forwards are harder to find than 2nd and 3rd dmen. Chabot is the 1D and is still getting better.

As it stands, nobody on the Sens roster is as talented as Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Ovie, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Tarasenko, O’Reilly, Kane and Towes etc.

Yup, that's why I want us to draft forwards with our top 2 picks.

Even if one busts, the other still can be franchise altering for this team. If both pan out then we set for the future on offense. With that being said, it's easier to acquire a star forward via trade than an additional legit top pairing defender. If Drysdale/Sanderson have best potential out of anyone at number 5 it's hard to not pick them because then our future on defense would be fully cemented, we still walk away with star forward prospect.

Also, with cap flatlining and with expansion draft, imo a few star forwards/defenders will be available that normally havent been and could give us opportunity to snag one.

Also, in retrospect, picking Drysdale/Sanderson might actually give us best chance to compete because we would have easily the best defensive group in the east to match the offensive powerhouses of other eastern teams that we might not be able to go head to head with anyway (even if Raymond/perfetti and stutzle/by reach potential).

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Frazen/Hossa

Lidstrom
Rafalski
Kronwall

vs

Kane
Toews
Hossa

Keith
Seabrook
Hjammer

XXXX
XXXX
Tkachuk

Chabot
XXXX
XXXX

Stutzle/Byfield
Raymond
Tkachuk

Chabot
Sergachev
JBD

I agree but I’d expand to JBD/Lassi ... I thinks it’s a coin toss between the two and I may go Lassi 51%/JBD 49%.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree but I’d expand to JBD/Lassi ... I thinks it’s a coin toss between the two and I may go Lassi 51%/JBD 49%.

Yup, the proven number 1 defender in Chabot and really strong top 4 defensive prospects is why this draft should be all about trying to hit homeruns on offense with almost everyone of our picks in the first 2 rounds (or whenever we get opportunity to) example: id still look deeply at Guhle because he would be awesome on our 2nd pair.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yup, the proven number 1 defender in Chabot and really strong top 4 defensive prospects is why this draft should be all about trying to hit homeruns on offense with almost everyone of our picks in the first 2 rounds (or whenever we get opportunity to) example: id still look deeply at Guhle because he would be awesome on our 2nd pair.

If we go 2 F 3 and 5 .. and the Isles lose their play in, We should look at Guhle hard and I would be very surprised if they didn't although they may like Schneider as well. I prefer Guhle. If Jarvis is sitting there in that 13-15 slot if we are lucky enough (fat chance) , anyway . I think it would be very hard to turn him down.
It is just as likely overall that they go F, D, and try to move up for another F.

Lots of options.

To walk away with Byfield/Stuzle, one of Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis in the 1st would be a home fn run draft. We could still have all our 2nds to move up and take 2 D like O'Rourke and Barron ..

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we go 2 F 3 and 5 .. and the Isles lose their play in, We should look at Guhle hard and I would be very surprised if they didn't although they may like Schneider as well. I prefer Guhle. If Jarvis is sitting there in that 13-15 slot if we are lucky enough (fat chance) , anyway . I think it would be very hard to turn him down.
It is just as likely overall that they go F, D, and try to move up for another F.

Lots of options.

To walk away with Byfield/Stuzle, one of Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis in the 1st would be a home fn run draft. We could still have all our 2nds to move up and take 2 D like O'Rourke and Barron ..
That is close to my realistic dream draft is 1st/2nd choice

Byfield/Stutzle
Raymond/Drysdale
Mercer/Gunler
Barron/Peterka
Evangelista/Jarventie
Pashin/Savoie

Will Cranley with a 7th round pick

I think 7 picks is plenty with 5 excellent prospects, 1 boom or bust pick and a late round goalie who I see having a great year this season.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That is close to my realistic dream draft is 1st/2nd choice

Byfield/Stutzle
Raymond/Drysdale
Mercer/Gunler
Barron/Peterka
Evangelista/Jarventie
Pashin/Savoie

Will Cranley with a 7th round pick

I think 7 picks is plenty with 5 excellent prospects, 1 boom or bust pick and a late round goalie who I see having a great year this season.
Quite a few players to like in this draft . Particularly forwards

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Lots of options.

Yeah, Guhle is the guy we should be looking to take if we go forward forward, though I can’t see him lasting past 15, Isles would need to lose like you said, I don’t like any of the other D in the 20ish range.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, Guhle is the guy we should be looking to take if we go forward forward, though I can’t see him lasting past 15, Isles would need to lose like you said, I don’t like any of the other D in the 20ish range.
I’m good with 3 forwards in the first round. I think Barron will be a steal for someone late first.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Future top 9 of

Raymond Byfield Batherson
Tkachuk Norris Mercer
Formenton White C. Brown

That gets me into a ticket package in 2022/23

Reactions: tardigrade81

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I hope we select three forwards in the first round. Based on Bob's list and public rankings, it seems that Guhle, Schneider, and Barron will be the defenders taken in the middle of the first round. I have no interest in selecting any of the above players with a middle of the first selection.

The worst-case scenario for me is taking Sanderson at #5, and one of the three defenders mentioned with the NYI pick.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope we get Byfield with our #3 pick and Drysdale/Raymond with our #5 pick. I think we will probably get Stutzle at #3 and Drysdale/Raymond at #5. It’s too bad we have to wait until October to find out.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Personally, I'd like to keep Duclair and Connor Brown in our team plans in the future so, I'd go forward at #3 and Drysdale at #5. And I'd experiment with Logan on the wing.

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
L. Brown Norris Duclair
Formenton White C. Brown
Chlapik Pinto Abramov
Paul

Chabot Drysdale
Brannstrom JBD
Wolanin Thompson
Jaros

Hogberg
Daccord
Sogaard
Mando

Reactions: NB613 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Byfield Tkachuk is easily there with Tarasenko, O'Rielly. Too be honest they should be better. Scoring wingers are way easier to find than top pairind d men. If you want the sens to be built like St Louis they are taking a d man 100 percent at 5. What you said is not true at all. Incredible that you used O'Rielly as an example really, he has been trade twice at pennies for the dollar. Tarasenko was also drafted right around where the Islanders pick is going to be. Meanwhile St Louis's best player is a D man they picked 4th overall.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Byfield Tkachuk is easily there with Tarasenko, O'Rielly. Too be honest they should be better. Scoring wingers are way easier to find than top pairind d men. If you want the sens to be built like St Louis they are taking a d man 100 percent at 5. What you said is not true at all. Incredible that you used O'Rielly as an example really, he has been trade twice at pennies for the dollar. Tarasenko was also drafted right around where the Islanders pick is going to be. Meanwhile St Louis's best player is a D man they picked 4th overall.
Byfield is not a Senator yet and very well may not even end up in Ottawa. I don’t see Tkachuk as being in the level as Taransenko who is a 30 + goal scorer and 70 point player or O’Reilly who is a 60 point two way centre. You’re either severely overrating Brady or underrating the Blues’ duo.

There’s a reason O’Reilly was nicknamed Ryan O’Money in Colorado, their relationship soured and he had high contract demands leading him to go to Buffalo, while with the Sabres he demanded for being on a garbage team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Byfield is not a Senator yet and very well may not even end up in Ottawa. I don’t see Tkachuk as being in the level as Taransenko who is a 30 + goal scorer and 70 point player or O’Reilly who is a 60 point two way centre.

There’s a reason O’Reilly was nicknamed Ryan O’Money in Colorado, their relationship soured and he had high contract demands leading him to go to Buffalo, while with the Sabres he demanded for being on a garbage team.
You just said that cup winning forwards are harder to find than d men. I just gave two examples of the Blues forwards being easy to aquire.

St louis is built from the back end out. Its easier to get scoring wingers it just is. Centermen and top end D men are harder to aquire.

Tkachuk is tracking to be just as good as both Tarasenko and ORielly. He is kind of a mix of both of those players. Lots of intangibles like Orielly but position of tarsenko. Similar production to Orielly but more goals like tarasenko.

The sens are getting one of Stutzle or Byfield who also project to be in that tier if not better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope we select three forwards in the first round. Based on Bob's list and public rankings, it seems that Guhle, Schneider, and Barron will be the defenders taken in the middle of the first round. I have no interest in selecting any of the above players with a middle of the first selection.

The worst-case scenario for me is taking Sanderson at #5, and one of the three defenders mentioned with the NYI pick.

I prefer the forwards in that range too, I think one of those D could slip to 33 or someone like Walinder who would be a nice choice with our 2nd imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad