Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What does best player available actually mean?

You look at an NHL team, you have
G
LH PMD
RH PMD
two way D
Shut down D

Point producing C
Two way C
Shut down C

Point producing W
Two way W
Checking W

So when all those roles are considered, how does the value of the role weigh on a BPA discussion. how does the rarity of the skill set weigh on the decision?

Is Drysdale a projected top 5 RH PMD? in a game that is increasingly valuing the PMD ability?

Where does a point producing W rank in a game where elite PMDs and elite Cs are more likely to drive offence? Where the Cs and Ds are more responsible to get the puck from point A the D zone to point B the O zone.

Seems to me that if your PMDs and Cs are better than the other side, your in good shape.

If Drysdale is projected as a top 5 RH PMD, it strikes me that to draft a W ahead of that, that W would have to be projected as being amongst the absolute tops in the league.

There is fluctuation amongst the top goal scoring Ws in the league year to year and some of that fluctuation relates directly to a team's PMDs and Cs.

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Do you guys who follow the 67s closely think that Rossi is a better or worse prospect than Monahan was at the time they were getting drafted?

I would have thought that Rossi was way further ahead and had more potential than Monahan in almost every area. But for whatever reason I feel like the majority of you dont seem to be overly enthralled with him, and Im having a lot of trouble figuring out why...

Kid looks like a star in the making to me.
Rossi is a better prospect

Rossi is one of the best 67 I have seen in a long time would take him over couture Monahan and Konecy

I think the Giroux comparables might be on pt in terms of potential

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
BPA is always a point of contention with me because IMO it can be in the eye of the beholder. Yes, every draft there are clearly players who are so much better than everyone else, this yr it's Lafreniere. But Byfield & Stutzle both have the potential to be as good at some point in their development as he is & there is no guarantee he will be better. When we look at different rankings & we have already seen some wild & large differences where some people rank some prospects. Obviously, it will come down to what our own scouts prefer in players & that at times becomes worrisome when they draft a player like Lodin. Hopefully, they do well in this draft & make us proud.

Today most teams place players in tiers & if PD is saying that the group of prospects from 4 to 12 are all in the same tier, that might just mean they value #12 as much as #4, or as close. If the decision comes down to two prospects who are equally as good would it not make sense to draft the guy that the team might need more & would improve the team overall? BPA IMO is becoming more & more clouded when fewer & fewer people can agree who that player is exactly & the differences become less obvious.

Reactions: JD1 and xVolchenkov

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Picking for need is a very prevalent thing in football, and for good reason. It’s not done with much success in hockey because the way the games are played are so different.

The difference between a good center, good winger or good D is so much smaller than the difference between a good QB and a good safety. Teams reach 20+ spots every year to get a guy in the position they need, that’s not something that is done in hockey. Look at the Chargers and Herbert this year, everyone knew they were going to go QB, and Herbert was the closest option for them picking at 6 as the 20th ranked guy overall on the big board. That doesn’t happen in hockey, and when it does, you pick guys like Brian Lee over Kopitar, Staal or Bourdon

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is to all the posters (Bondra Time, Aragorn, Sens of Anarchy etc.) who covet Sanderson...

I am just curious; if you could have Quinn Hughes or Jake Sanderson... who would you take?

Huh, tough choice between a highly ranked offensive boom or bust dman that has now blown away expectations and proven himself able to translate to the nhl despite the risk associated with his size and a prospect who while similarly ranked is considered less boom or bust but has stiil got to prove himself.

The choice is somewhat absurd at this stage. You have hindsight available to confim that the far riskier choice met the high ceiling but have to use foresight to guess how the typically safer but likely lower ceiling pick will turn out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is to all the posters (Bondra Time, Aragorn, Sens of Anarchy etc.) who covet Sanderson...

I am just curious; if you could have Quinn Hughes or Jake Sanderson... who would you take?
Quinn Hughes using hindsight pretty easily, not sure why that comparison is there. Much closer using their pre draft selves, probably Sanderson the same way I liked Dobson more than Hughes.

Do you expect Drysdale to be Hughes? 60 point guy in his rookie season? If so, yeah, can’t see anyone passing on Drysdale, even at 1st.

Drysdale is going to be a fantastic D, very, very good offensive and puck mover playing 25 minutes a night and on the #1pp.

Sanderson is going to be a fantastic D, will play 25 minutes a night against the other teams top players, play the PK, and play some pp time. See him being a 35-40 point guy on average.

We haven’t had a D like Sanderson in close to 2 decades. Last time I can remember not being nervous when for a D was the A-train-Phillips pairing for 2 seasons and Chara. Been well over a decade since we had a reliable minute muncher on the back end. Karlsson was beyond great as a #1 D, but anyone who wasn’t nervous defensively with him out there was kidding themselves.

Sanderson, unlike Phillips and A-train, is an effortless skater and one of the best at getting the puck through the neutral zone into the attacking zone in the draft.

I’m perfectly fine with Drysdale ahead of Sanderson, I like Sanderson more but completely understand others preferring Drysdale. I don’t think Sanderson will have the same numbers Drysdale does in the NHL, but I do think he will play more meaningful minutes.

What I don’t understand is the sentiment that Sanderson is a safe, low ceiling guy who isn’t worth a high pick.

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I am not sure why you guys are so annoyed with my question. I am curious if you would still take Sanderson over Hughes with hindsight. It's just a question.. I am not trying to start a fight.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am not sure why you guys are so annoyed with my question. I am curious if you would still take Sanderson over Hughes with hindsight. It's just a question.. I am not trying to start a fight.

It's a strange question because one guy hasn't been drafted and the other just had one of the best rookie seasons from a defensemen. The question as to why you would compare the two is a fair question.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not many will disagree with that. Who is the BPA at 5? Not sure who Detroit takes at 4. but there are a group of players, each of which could be viewed as BPA depending on the org and BPA when? is a question as well. Its not necessarily about right now.

McKenzie's scouts is as close as we have to what NHL teams think.
10 scouts
4. Drysdale although 2 / 10 had Sanderson at 3 8/10 had Drysdale at 4 but there will be some that have someone else
5. Perfetti High 4 Low 12 BPA varies by the team
6. Raymond High 5 Low 11
7. Rossi 9/10 scouts had a high of 5 low of 10; 1 outlier had him 18 so no where close to BPA at 7 for that one.
8. Sanderson High 3 Low 11

So from 3 to 8 who exactly is the universal BPA?... So it is a concept that exists but the result changes between teams just like it changes between people on here..
I will disagree with the BPA only philosophy. If there is a very clear gap then sure take BPA but if the players are in the same tier on your board then go Org need. Example could be Drysdale over Rossi or Mercer over Askarov. These are just examples if Dorion has them in the same tiers.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I will disagree with the BPA only philosophy. If there is a very clear gap then sure take BPA but if the players are in the same tier on your board then go Org need. Example could be Drysdale over Rossi or Mercer over Askarov. These are just examples if Dorion has them in the same tiers.

I think Thomson was an organizational need draft by Ottawa last year. They needed RD depth and took the best RD available In the 1st round about 20 spots ahead of his projection. And I ageee with it. Last years draft wasn’t great, so take the player your team needs, especially when you had Pinto at #32 who looks like a Ryan Kessler clone.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's fair

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Do you guys who follow the 67s closely think that Rossi is a better or worse prospect than Monahan was at the time they were getting drafted?

I would have thought that Rossi was way further ahead and had more potential than Monahan in almost every area. But for whatever reason I feel like the majority of you dont seem to be overly enthralled with him, and Im having a lot of trouble figuring out why...

Kid looks like a star in the making to me.
I didn’t really watch the same way. This year I’ve watched more so from the Sens draft perspective.

I thought Monahan and Couture would be decent 2nd line centres if they met their potential. I see Rossi as more of a sure thing than either of those and a higher ceiling. I will say that if the Sens have Quinn rated higher than Rossi I won’t argue. The kid’s trajectory is mind boggling and it’s misinformed to say he was helped by playing with better players.

Reactions: angrydad

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Picking for need is a very prevalent thing in football, and for good reason. It’s not done with much success in hockey because the way the games are played are so different.

The difference between a good center, good winger or good D is so much smaller than the difference between a good QB and a good safety. Teams reach 20+ spots every year to get a guy in the position they need, that’s not something that is done in hockey. Look at the Chargers and Herbert this year, everyone knew they were going to go QB, and Herbert was the closest option for them picking at 6 as the 20th ranked guy overall on the big board. That doesn’t happen in hockey, and when it does, you pick guys like Brian Lee over Kopitar, Staal or Bourdon

Age is a huge factor as to why we see NFL teams draft for need. They are picking players aged 20-24 who will step into their lineup immediately and are already developed for the most part.

Most NHL prospects dont have that luxury being 17 and 18 years old and aren't close to being fully developed

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Thomson was an organizational need draft by Ottawa last year. They needed RD depth and took the best RD available In the 1st round about 20 spots ahead of his projection. And I ageee with it. Last years draft wasn’t great, so take the player your team needs, especially when you had Pinto at #32 who looks like a Ryan Kessler clone.
Yeah but it only became a pick for organization need when the players seemingly on their BPA board got taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad