Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dorion is extended through the 2021-22 season. I wonder how much (if any) bias we see towards players in this draft that can be effective at least by the start of the 2021 season.

If he drafts Byfield, 2021 may be early for him to hold a 1-2C type roll. Sanderson, Raymond etc may also be slow to arrive. Theoretically PD could have his two gems from the draft not in the lineup during his “judgement year”.

On the other hand Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz, Rossi, Schneider (2ND RD) could contribute sooner and support his extension of value around the league.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Dorion is extended through the 2021-22 season. I wonder how much (if any) bias we see towards players in this draft that can be effective at least by the start of the 2021 season.

If he drafts Byfield, 2021 may be early for him to hold a 1-2C type roll. Sanderson, Raymond etc may also be slow to arrive. Theoretically PD could have his two gems from the draft not in the lineup during his “judgement year”.

On the other hand Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz, Rossi, Schneider (2ND RD) could contribute sooner and support his extension of value around the league.

Two years ago prevailing sentiment was that PD was unemployable outside ottawa.

Since then, he's learned to handle the media better and hit a few trades out of the park. He's assembled a rather envious prospect list and we've got the best collection of draft picks in the league for this draft.

I think it's possible that by mid 2021-22 he's still unsigned here and the media is touting him as a candidate for this job and that job. If he has the Sens in a playoff position that year christ he himself might think it's time to get out of ottawa and make some money

Reactions: Sweatred and NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Two years ago prevailing sentiment was that PD was unemployable outside ottawa.

Since then, he's learned to handle the media better and hit a few trades out of the park. He's assembled a rather envious prospect list and we've got the best collection of draft picks in the league for this draft.

I think it's possible that by mid 2021-22 he's still unsigned here and the media is touting him as a candidate for this job and that job. If he has the Sens in a playoff position that year christ he himself might think it's time to get out of ottawa and make some money

So Lots of upside ya figure?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Lots of upside ya figure?

What I figure is a lot of the bitching about him was a bit overblown and his work over the past two years has been overall positive.

If a young Sens team is a playoff contender in 2021-22, he'll be employable

Reactions: Sweatred

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Was he in the radio.
Austrian paper, he said Rossi has had multiple good talks with them, and Dorion had scouts to watch Rossi nearly every game. Which makes a ton of sense being in Ottawa and having two top 10 prospects on the 67’s in a draft with 2 top 10 picks. Said he thought Ottawa was most likely spot.

He said Ducks were another likely spot as well, and Jersey likely wasn’t because he thinks they will go for a D instead.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Austrian paper, he said Rossi has had multiple good talks with them, and Dorion had scouts to watch Rossi nearly every game. Which makes a ton of sense being in Ottawa and having two top 10 prospects on the 67’s in a draft with 2 top 10 picks. Said he thought Ottawa was most likely spot.

He said Ducks were another likely spot as well, and Jersey likely wasn’t because he thinks they will go for a D instead.
If byfield and Rossi are our picks. Our center ice is extreeeemely crowded.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jack Quinn at 5. Not that I necessarily think that will happen, but it's a plausible off the board scenario in my mind. I can't prove it, but I'd bet the Sens have Quinn ahead of Rossi in their internal rankings.

I also think there is an ever so slight possibility that they could take Drysdale at 3. I'm still not 100% convinced that the Sens would be happy with Stützle. My read on the situation is that the Sens want Byfield very badly and if he goes at 2 to LA things might become interesting.

Personally I don't see the Senators taking Raymond or Rossi at 5. I think back to an interview with Dorion earlier this year where he said something to the effect of 'this draft is so deep that we don't want to take risks'. A player Rossi's size is a risk. With the erosion of the Sens Euro scouting department, I just can't shake the feeling that they'd like to avoid drafting out of that part of the world if at all possible which would obviously hurt Raymond's chances.

I think Ottawa's ideal outcome is Byfield/Drysdale. If Drysdale isn't there at 5 I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Sanderson or Quinn.
I think this is the most accurate and realistic outcome. I do believe they have Stutzle in their top 3. I would personally be very happy with any of these outcomes.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What I figure is a lot of the bitching about him was a bit overblown and his work over the past two years has been overall positive.

If a young Sens team is a playoff contender in 2021-22, he'll be employable

I figure its an excellent subject for another thread

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Rossi’s shot is not talked about enough. His wrist shots fly *out* of the net at like 100mph

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Marco Rossi’s dad thinks Ottawa is high on him.

My word is stronger than oak
upload_2020-7-9_21-25-21.jpeg

I like Rossi. No issues if that's who they want. I am sure he is one of the players they have close to that spot. Does he get it?

Reactions: robsenz and H2O

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Rossi can be easily moved to the wing and our center core as is isn't a surefire thing. Norris and Brown seem like good bets for the top-6 but it's still a big question mark. If we pickup Byfield that's 1/2 filled. If Brown or Norris secure the second spot then Rossi can play on the left wing behind Tkachuk.

edit: Raymond/Holtz would also be a good pick at 5. We desperately need top-6 talent on the team.
Defense can be worked on later, whether it's through free agency (signing a decent veteran to play with Branny or even if JBD/Thompson make the jump in a year or two) + we'll most likely have a top-5 pick next season and pickup a top-end D prospect.

Reactions: NB613

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Rossi can be easily moved to the wing and our center core as is isn't a surefire thing. Norris and Brown seem like good bets for the top-6 but it's still a big question mark. If we pickup Byfield that's 1/2 filled. If Brown or Norris secure the second spot then Rossi can play on the left wing behind Tkachuk.

edit: Raymond/Holtz would also be a good pick at 5. We desperately need top-6 talent on the team.
Defense can be worked on later, whether it's through free agency (signing a decent veteran to play with Branny or even if JBD/Thompson make the jump in a year or two) + we'll most likely have a top-5 pick next season and pickup a top-end D prospect.

Is so much easier to find a top 6 wing "later" than a top pairing defenseman.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Is so much easier to find a top 6 wing "later" than a top pairing defenseman.

It kinda helps that Ottawa already has a young top 15 defender already (imo he can be top 5). And we also have top 4 potential defenders in Brannstrom, Thomson, and JBD. NSH has had defensive elite depth in spades but they havent won a cup. Toronto has elite offensive depth in spades but they havent passed 1st round in few years. Pitts won backtoback cups with hainsey in their top 4(lol) and other unknowns here and there. STL won with excellent defense but ORielly killed it. You definitely need a mix.

But I think that guy worded it wrong when he said top 6. I think it's better to say "we need elite top line forwards now and we can round out our top 4 later."

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel like this board is way higher on Rossi than you should be.

"Do the Ottawa Senators end up grabbing Marco Rossi at #5?" Skip to 6:15 for the answer:

McCagg: Expect Sanderson and Drysdale to go in top 5

At 10:00 he explains why he thinks Rossi may not even go top 10 in the draft.
Our board hasnt watched the 67's very much a handful of posters maybe. Id be shocked and dissapointed if the team passed on Drysdale for Rossi. I also believe they have Quinn ahead of Rossi for good reason. Id be pretty suprised if he ends up on the sens and I do question his ultimate upside. His floor is very low, he is going to he an NHL player but I do worry about his durability and his ability to get seperation from NHL d men outside of his vision and hockey sense.

Reactions: angrydad

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Our board hasnt watched the 67's very much a handful of posters maybe. Id be shocked and dissapointed if the team passed on Drysdale for Rossi. I also believe they have Quinn ahead of Rossi for good reason. Id be pretty suprised if he ends up on the sens and I do question his ultimate upside. His floor is very low, he is going to he an NHL player but I do worry about his durability and his ability to get seperation from NHL d men outside of his vision and hockey sense.

I like Rossi a lot but i agree you can't pass on Drysdale for him. I think I'd personally grab Sanderson and Perfetti before Rossi too but at that point it's much closer.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the draft, the team apparently has a pretty big tier from 4th onward. Could see a surprising name get called at 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad