Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Here is a great deep dive, with video, on Sanderson. It is a long read, but I think it is quite fair.

Draft Class Deep Dive: LHD Jake Sanderson
Nice review; at the base level if you want more offense you likely take Drysdale. You want more Defense you likely take Sanderson. Pretty much what people have been saying. Also both are good at the other, Drysdale at D, Sanderson at O , just not as good as their strength at the moment.
Both are top 10 in this draft; Both are probably in the 4-8 range. Not a lot separating them from one another or the and 3 or 4 forwards in that range imo; All good players. No black and white, right/wrong answers.

Perfetti deep dive is up next.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
At this point I like Jake Sanderson and Lucas Raymond as the best options for 5th overall.

Reactions: NB613

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
People are just going to have get used to the idea that Sanderson is a better skater with greater hockey sense and compete than Drysdale. Drysdale's offensive game is completely overrated; he is a quick, agile skater, but is lack of extension limits the speed and power of his stride. Don't get me wrong, he is fast, but not Sanderson fast. For example, Thimo Nickl - a RD- beat Drysdale in the 30M Forward Skate at the top prospects combine. I really don't think there is that much separation in terms of skill. They are pretty close.

I don't buy that LD isn't a need. Besides, I thought we were supposed to pick BPA?
Brannstrom and Wolanin can both play RD and neither is sure bet. The best situation would be Brannstrom moves to RD, where he is most offensively comfortable, anyway.
Interesting assessment here. I am unsure about your claim that Sanderson is the better skater; although it would require someone with a more nuanced understanding of skating than me to make that assessment. I do think Sanderson is a more powerful skater and will be able to translate a power game to the NHL. When I watch Sanderson his game reminds me a bit of Alex Pietrangelo; maybe others have a different player that comes to mind but I see some similarities.

Given the option between the two prospects and looking at the Senators current depth chart I would pick Sanderson over Drysdale. Drysdale looks like he has the potential to be a strong offensive player but I don't think he is as well rounded as Sanderson. I could see Drysdale be very effective on the power play and in open games but I don't think he will perform as well in tight checking environments like in the playoffs. At times Drysdale looks like a Karlsson type but I could see him having similar challenges to Karlsson. Notably, Karlsson liked to roam around the ice and to be free of commitment to positional responsibilities. The 2016-17 season was the only time I thought Karlsson fully committed to being a strong defensive player and he looked great, but the rest of the time he relied heavily on a strong defensive partner like Methot to compensate for his lack of structured play.

I think there are reasons to like Drysdale as a prospect but when I look at our defensive depth we already have Chabot and then we still have Brannstrom and Wolanin. He would offer even more offense from the back end but there would still be a bit of a gap in the defensive strength of our d corps. Even Bernard Docker and Thomson are solid 2 way d prospects but I would argue than Sanderson is a step above them defensively. Sanderson would fit in with the structured style of the team and he would compliment the playing style better. I would rather have Sanderson paired with Chabot than Drysdale. Sanderson plays with an edge and is capable of being a powerful d man than can win puck battles and is still very talented offensively.

I think some of your criticisms of Drysdale are a bit excessive but I do prefer Sanderson and think he is a better addition to the Sens D core.

Reactions: IlTerrifico

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I like Raymond at 5. I see a top 6 playmaking winger who can be a line driver.

Perfetti is the biggest boom or bust player in the top 10. I don’t think he’s the right choice for us but the potential upside makes it understandable

I question Drysdale’s offensive potential, I think he’s going to be a very good player but I feel he is being placed in a higher tier than warranted.

Rossi is the 3rd best Centre in the draft IMO, we will get one of the top 2 and I think there are better choices.

Sanderson would project as our LD on the second pair. I don’t want to waste a #5 pick on a second pairing D.

These are the players I see as the 4-8 group and I would put them in that order.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Raymond at 5. I see a top 6 playmaking winger who can be a line driver.

Perfetti is the biggest boom or bust player in the top 10. I don’t think he’s the right choice for us but the potential upside makes it understandable

I question Drysdale’s offensive potential, I think he’s going to be a very good player but I feel he is being placed in a higher tier than warranted.

Rossi is the 3rd best Centre in the draft IMO, we will get one of the top 2 and I think there are better choices.

Sanderson would project as our LD on the second pair. I don’t want to waste a #5 pick on a second pairing D.

These are the players I see as the 4-8 group and I would put them in that order.

Got this off the prospects board in the Raymond thread
Haken Andersson is on the Board of Governors there at Frolunda, So you can't rule out Detroit going after Lucas Raymond at #4 he's definitely a Haken pick.

Wikipedia: "hired as a scout by the Red Wings in 1990. Since then he has won four Stanley Cup Championships as a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization, in 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008. Andersson, based in Stockholm, Sweden, scouts all over Europe including Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Russia, and has been responsible for the Red Wings drafting Tomas Holmström, Valtteri Filppula, Jiri Hudler, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzén, Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Gustav Nyquist, Tomáš Tatar, and many others."

This article says he serves on the Frolunda board of Governors https://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/19/h...-wings-scout-sports-illustrated-feature-story

So another inside track .. I would imagine they give Raymond very serious consideration

Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If I had to bet on 2 players I think the Sens would take one of at 5 .. they would be
Drysdale and Sanderson.

If they do it leaves the door open for them to move up and take another really good forward with the Isles pick .. I think the Isles win their play in and that pick will end up in the 20's .. but still they could move up in the 15-20 range and nab someone decent there.

Not sure who the Sens would covet in that range
I assume Lundell will be gone in the 10-15 Range
I guess possibly Mercer if he's there Bob has him 13; Maybe Holloway; I think those 2 have Sens pick potential
Not sure if they'd take a chance on Lapierre, Amirov would be a great pick if they are willing to pick a Russian, maybe Reichel or Peterka; Perreault could be an option as well but he has those lapses and I'm not sure the Sens will see past them, Maybe Zary, I like Gunler but there are some consistency issues there as well

To me it would be a shame not to come out of this draft with at least 2 impact forwards from the 1st round

If by chance I lose my bet and they take a forward at 5 . Any of the 3 Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti would fine.
They likely draft one of Guhle, Schneider or Barron with the Isles pick. They would need to move up from 20 something to get Guhle imo.

So would we be happy with
Package A
Byfield/Stutzle
Drysdale/Sanderson
Mercer/Holloway/Zary -- them there high character guys

or
Package B
Byfield/Stutzle
Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti
Guhle/Barron/Schneider (i really don't want Schneider but he appeals to lots of old school scouts)

If the Sens go off the board in R1.... who do you think its for?
What are the chances they go for the trifecta and draft Askarov with the Isles pick if he drops?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If I had to bet on 2 players I think the Sens would take one of at 5 .. they would be
Drysdale and Sanderson.

If they do it leaves the door open for them to move up and take another really good forward with the Isles pick .. I think the Isles win their play in and that pick will end up in the 20's .. but still they could move up in the 15-20 range and nab someone decent there.

Not sure who the Sens would covet in that range
I assume Lundell will be gone in the 10-15 Range
I guess possibly Mercer if he's there Bob has him 13; Maybe Holloway; I think those 2 have Sens pick potential
Not sure if they'd take a chance on Lapierre, Amirov would be a great pick if they are willing to pick a Russian, maybe Reichel or Peterka; Perreault could be an option as well but he has those lapses and I'm not sure the Sens will see past them, Maybe Zary, I like Gunler but there are some consistency issues there as well

To me it would be a shame not to come out of this draft with at least 2 impact forwards from the 1st round

If by chance I lose my bet and they take a forward at 5 . Any of the 3 Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti would fine.
They likely draft one of Guhle, Schneider or Barron with the Isles pick. They would need to move up from 20 something to get Guhle imo.

So would we be happy with
Package A
Byfield/Stutzle
Drysdale/Sanderson
Mercer/Holloway/Zary -- them there high character guys

or
Package B
Byfield/Stutzle
Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti
Guhle/Barron/Schneider (i really don't want Schneider but he appeals to lots of old school scouts)

What are the chances they go for the trifecta and draft Askarov with the Isles pick if he drops?
This isn't exactly what I would do, but I'll take Package A & add Askarov with the NYI pick. Byfield, Sanderson & Askarov. This just makes me want to make a deal with someone to acquire another 1st rd pick. I really would like to see them also pick up one of Schneider or Barron, maybe Barron can be had at #33? But if not who is the next best RD? Hans maybe? What about Cotton, Nickl or Prokop?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This isn't exactly what I would do, but I'll take Package A & add Askarov with the NYI pick. Byfield, Sanderson & Askarov. This just makes me want to make a deal with someone to acquire another 1st rd pick. I really would like to see them also pick up one of Schneider or Barron, maybe Barron can be had at #33? But if not who is the next best RD? Hans maybe? What about Cotton, Nickl or Prokop?

Not what I would do necessarily either .. I was trying to predict what the Sens would do .. I would likely take more risk than them imo.
You mean Grans? Not a big fan .. offensive, has some skating issues pivoting among-st other things. Cotton is pure cheat for offense..
I would take Guhle in the mid 1st over Shneider or Barron regardless of handedness.. I like Barron over Shneider for where he'll go in the 1st. I think he goes too high. Schneider does not have enough 2way upside for me to pick him in the 1st.
Prokop maybe. Faber is a possibility. I would probably take Kleven as well also a LHD if we didn't get Guhle.
If we take Sanderson .. do I still go after Guhle there , no. I go forward .. but Guhle would not be terrible in building a really strong D.. but Chabot , Sanderson, Guhle on the left side would be awesome.. Sens need help up front too.
The Draft is really not that strong for big D that can play .. Grans is a project but .. so are several others (Wallinder, Jurmo both LDs). He has the size and offense but not the physicality and defense you are looking for ideally. Victor Mancini RD is a possibility as a project as well. 6'3 2oo , played in Sweden last year, from the US .. NCAA commit.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not what I would do necessarily either .. I was trying to predict what the Sens would do .. I would likely take more risk than them imo.
You mean Grans? Not a big fan .. offensive, has some skating issues pivoting among-st other things. Cotton is pure cheat for offense..
I would take Guhle in the mid 1st over Shneider or Barron regardless of handedness.. I like Barron over Shneider for where he'll go in the 1st. I think he goes too high. Schneider does not have enough 2way upside for me to pick him in the 1st.
Prokop maybe. Faber is a possibility. I would probably take Kleven as well also a LHD if we didn't get Guhle.
If we take Sanderson .. do I still go after Guhle there , no. I go forward .. but Guhle would not be terrible in building a really strong D.. but Chabot , Sanderson, Guhle on the left side would be awesome.. Sens need help up front too.
The Draft is really not that strong for big D that can play .. Grans is a project but .. so are several others (Wallinder, Jurmo both LDs). He has the size and offense but not the physicality and defense you are looking for ideally. Victor Mancini RD is a possibility as a project as well. 6'3 2oo , played in Sweden last year, from the US .. NCAA commit.
If the Sens don't take Sanderson than I would definitely want Guhle next & I also like Kleven a little later. I also like Barron, but Schneider would help defensively with a rushing partner like Chabot, Sanderson or Guhle. I like Prokop too & think he would be a good 3rd pairing D with someone like Kleven (dark horse to be a very good D) who is a very good skater. I don't know much about Nickl RD who has good size & seems to be a very good skater too. Lots of choices on D in this draft for quality guys in the first three rds where we have 9 picks & counting. Hopefully, they are able to acquire a few more picks in the early rds.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Jack Quinn at 5. Not that I necessarily think that will happen, but it's a plausible off the board scenario in my mind. I can't prove it, but I'd bet the Sens have Quinn ahead of Rossi in their internal rankings.

I also think there is an ever so slight possibility that they could take Drysdale at 3. I'm still not 100% convinced that the Sens would be happy with Stützle. My read on the situation is that the Sens want Byfield very badly and if he goes at 2 to LA things might become interesting.

Personally I don't see the Senators taking Raymond or Rossi at 5. I think back to an interview with Dorion earlier this year where he said something to the effect of 'this draft is so deep that we don't want to take risks'. A player Rossi's size is a risk. With the erosion of the Sens Euro scouting department, I just can't shake the feeling that they'd like to avoid drafting out of that part of the world if at all possible which would obviously hurt Raymond's chances.

I think Ottawa's ideal outcome is Byfield/Drysdale. If Drysdale isn't there at 5 I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Sanderson or Quinn.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Jack Quinn at 5. Not that I necessarily think that will happen, but it's a plausible off the board scenario in my mind. I can't prove it, but I'd bet the Sens have Quinn ahead of Rossi in their internal rankings.

I also think there is an ever so slight possibility that they could take Drysdale at 3. I'm still not 100% convinced that the Sens would be happy with Stützle. My read on the situation is that the Sens want Byfield very badly and if he goes at 2 to LA things might become interesting.

Personally I don't see the Senators taking Raymond or Rossi at 5. I think back to an interview with Dorion earlier this year where he said something to the effect of 'this draft is so deep that we don't want to take risks'. A player Rossi's size is a risk. With the erosion of the Sens Euro scouting department, I just can't shake the feeling that they'd like to avoid drafting out of that part of the world if at all possible which would obviously hurt Raymond's chances.

I think Ottawa's ideal outcome is Byfield/Drysdale. If Drysdale isn't there at 5 I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Sanderson or Quinn.

Is he though? His ceiling might be, but I think his floor is pretty high. I feel like Byfield is a 'riskier' pick (in the sense of what will he end up being) and yet you seem to be under the assumption that hes Ottawas guy.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Is he though? His ceiling might be, but I think his floor is pretty high. I feel like Byfield is a 'riskier' pick (in the sense of what will he end up being) and yet you seem to be under the assumption that hes Ottawas guy.
Rossi definitely has more risk due to his size and skating

Reactions: Sweatred

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Drysdale's skating is so smooth and polished it makes me wonder if he's gonna make anymore sizable gains to it.

Sanderson, while being great skater already, looks like he can make sizable gains to become more fluid and powerful.

Reactions: NB613

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

There are a number of factors that make me think Rossi will be perceived as high risk:

1. Size. He's small. There just aren't a ton of guys his size that are top end players in the league. Sure there are some - Marchand, Gaudreau, Marchessault - but they're still rare. Also note that very few of these players are checkers. At this size you have to produce or you don't play.

2. Perception among some scouts that he's physically mature. If this is the case it caps his upside. Simply less growth potential.

3. Scoring splits against good and bad teams. He beat up on bad teams at a disproportionately high clip. Inflated stats?

4. Age. One of the oldest players in the 2020 draft. I don't put much stock into this personally, but I know some do.

5. Skating. Lacks elite speed.

I'm not saying that Rossi will bust. I don't know that. I'm saying that if he's one of your preferred options at 5 I think you're likely to be disappointed.

Regarding Byfield - I don't think teams regard 6'4, athletic, skilled centers as risky. Certainly not to the extent of Rossi.

Reactions: Sweatred

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Interesting assessment here. I am unsure about your claim that Sanderson is the better skater; although it would require someone with a more nuanced understanding of skating than me to make that assessment. I do think Sanderson is a more powerful skater and will be able to translate a power game to the NHL. When I watch Sanderson his game reminds me a bit of Alex Pietrangelo; maybe others have a different player that comes to mind but I see some similarities.

Given the option between the two prospects and looking at the Senators current depth chart I would pick Sanderson over Drysdale. Drysdale looks like he has the potential to be a strong offensive player but I don't think he is as well rounded as Sanderson. I could see Drysdale be very effective on the power play and in open games but I don't think he will perform as well in tight checking environments like in the playoffs. At times Drysdale looks like a Karlsson type but I could see him having similar challenges to Karlsson. Notably, Karlsson liked to roam around the ice and to be free of commitment to positional responsibilities. The 2016-17 season was the only time I thought Karlsson fully committed to being a strong defensive player and he looked great, but the rest of the time he relied heavily on a strong defensive partner like Methot to compensate for his lack of structured play.

I think there are reasons to like Drysdale as a prospect but when I look at our defensive depth we already have Chabot and then we still have Brannstrom and Wolanin. He would offer even more offense from the back end but there would still be a bit of a gap in the defensive strength of our d corps. Even Bernard Docker and Thomson are solid 2 way d prospects but I would argue than Sanderson is a step above them defensively. Sanderson would fit in with the structured style of the team and he would compliment the playing style better. I would rather have Sanderson paired with Chabot than Drysdale. Sanderson plays with an edge and is capable of being a powerful d man than can win puck battles and is still very talented offensively.

I think some of your criticisms of Drysdale are a bit excessive but I do prefer Sanderson and think he is a better addition to the Sens D core.

I think the problem is with oversimplifying things. Skating isn't one thing, it's a lot of different aspects. I'm certainly no expert either, but theoretically you wouldn't need to be if you could see them race out there. When it comes to straight line speed and acceleration, I'd be very surprised if Drysdale was faster. Sanderson just looks more explosive.

But this is hockey, not speed skating, and the way Drysdale can bob and weave is an extremely important hockey skill. Just saying I think it isn't very useful to think about which is the better skater in broad terms, and it is more useful to think about how they might be able to apply their skills at the NHL level.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
for me it's, first on each line
3) Stutzle/Byfield
5) Drysdale/Rossi

My Guess for top-5
Lafreniere (NHL), Byfield (LA), Stutzle (SJ/OTT), Drysdale (DET), Rossi (OTT)

Reactions: alfstheman

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I'm still really hoping we take another forward at 5, with Raymond being my first choice. The potential of nabbing two top line forwards would be the ideal outcome, especially since next year's draft is so defenseman- heavy at the top. It's obviously early but I'm not sure there are any forwards in 2021 I'd take over Raymond.

What happens if we take Sanderson this year and then next year all of the BPA at our pick are LHD? Who moves to the third pairing? How do we maximize their development and trade value without a balanced forward corps?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Easy job for Dorion

#3 OA : Draft the guy that LA didn't take in Byfield or Stutzle

#5 OA : Draft Raymond. If Detroit took Raymond, draft Drysdale

Now 2 questions (at least) need to be answered and I would like to get some insight or inside info on that (anyone?):

1- Is there really a chance that the Sens don't have Byfield and Stutzle as their #2-3 on their list?

2- Where it gets tricky, is that if the Sens are higher on other players than Raymond or Drysdale. Then would that be? Who are the candidates? Rossi? Perfetti? Holtz? Lundell? Sanderson? Quinn? Anyone else?

Please Dorion, post your top-15 list here :

1-
2-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad