OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Ive been to St. Maarten. Gorgeous island with wonderful people. Feel awful for them right now.

Hurricanes like this are only going go become more frequent too.

Yep pretty much. We're seeing warmer and warmer sea surface temperatures year after year. Its why Harvey strengthened so quickly and why Irma is now approaching the longest Category 5 storm ever. So much energy available

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Yep pretty much. We're seeing warmer and warmer sea surface temperatures year after year. Its why Harvey strengthened so quickly and why Irma is now approaching the longest Category 5 storm ever. So much energy available

We might get to a point sooner than we think where the frequency is going to be too much to bear and parts of the world will become uninhabitable and population transfers will be required. I mean this hurricane season is just getting started.....

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Next time there is a threat of a hurricane to Houston, I'm leaving. Harvey was absolutely nuts, basically 4 days of torrential downpours and Irma looks to be disastrous too.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Next time there is a threat of a hurricane to Houston, I'm leaving. Harvey was absolutely nuts, basically 4 days of torrential downpours and Irma looks to be disastrous too.

On the plane back from Miami...many residents were saying the same thing. One guy was like eff this...I'm not waiting around. He said he lived through Hurricane Andrew back in 92...and wasn't about to deal with another Cat 5 Hurricane and the aftermath again. He looked like the singer from the Scorpions ironically enough

Saw a piece with Ghost saying he was worried about his family and how his mom was pregnant with him when Andrew happened....

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Pressure weakened a bit from 914 to 916, but the winds stayed the same. To show you how little an idea the models have on this storm, some are showing the lowest pressure readings getting down to 940ish around Florida. It hasn't been at 940 in 24 hours.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Harvey was also an absolute outlier. It's highly uncharacteristic for a hurricane to sit pretty much stationary and not move for 4 days. That doesn't mean the wind wasn't insane and the rain was heavy, but the issue with that was it didn't move. Hurricanes usually start to zip away once they make landfall

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Some of the videos coming out from the Caribbean are horrifying. Actually the audio/sound is even worse. It sounded like the winds from a nuclear blast.....

Jose is right behind Irma as well....can't imagine a one two punch occurring but it might :amazed:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Harvey was also an absolute outlier. It's highly uncharacteristic for a hurricane to sit pretty much stationary and not move for 4 days. That doesn't mean the wind wasn't insane and the rain was heavy, but the issue with that was it didn't move. Hurricanes usually start to zip away once they make landfall

I know this, but apparently they had one like Harvey in 2001 (Tropical Storm Allison) where they got 3 feet of rain. They also have had two others in Rita and Ike that were disastrous (I wasn't there for either). Houston is prone to flooding and I'm still not at my apartment cause the roads I live off of are still flooded and probably will be for a few more weeks. Just not going to risk it.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Some of the videos coming out from the Caribbean are horrifying. Actually the audio/sound is even worse. It sounded like the winds from a nuclear blast.....

Jose is right behind Irma as well....can't imagine a one two punch occurring but it might :amazed:

Looks,like Jose will turn before causing too much trouble. However, looks like Barbuda could be hit again

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I know this, but apparently they had one like Harvey in 2001 (Tropical Storm Allison) where they got 3 feet of rain. They also have had two others in Rita and Ike that were disastrous (I wasn't there for either). Houston is prone to flooding and I'm still not at my apartment cause the roads I live off of are still flooded and probably will be for a few more weeks. Just not going to risk it.

Jesus. That sucks.

I can't remember those other storms but I believe Houston is pretty flat so I guess that makes sense, and one of the reasons Harvey didn't fall apart so,quickly.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
For the trained, does the pressure discrepancy in the 0Z GFS have much of an impact on the forecast?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
For the trained, does the pressure discrepancy in the 0Z GFS have much of an impact on the forecast?

It didn't with Harvey and it seems like it hasn't with Irma. Ever since the new update a few weeks ago the pressures have been out of whack being 20-30 mb to low.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
She's a bit weaker this morning but will re intensify once she gets into those open waters.

Euro this morning crushed Miami and then it went off the coast and made landfall again in Georgia.

GFS showed has it skirting the coast and then making landfall in SC

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
She's a bit weaker this morning but will re intensify once she gets into those open waters.

Euro this morning crushed Miami and then it went off the coast and made landfall again in Georgia.

GFS showed has it skirting the coast and then making landfall in SC

They are saying this monster could hit a number of major cities and could be the most costly storm ever...until one larger surpasses this one and so on. Messed up....Barbuda was decimated.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We might get to a point sooner than we think where the frequency is going to be too much to bear and parts of the world will become uninhabitable and population transfers will be required. I mean this hurricane season is just getting started.....

This is inevitable. Will probably start with migration from the caribbean islands to Florida and on upwards from there.

It's truly amazing that our climate has become politicized. Makes no ****ing sense.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Snowfall is such a damn good show. I've probably said that about 3 times in this thread, but I highly recommend it.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Snowfall is such a damn good show. I've probably said that about 3 times in this thread, but I highly recommend it.

I will definitely be starting that soon.

Currently going back and forth between Treme and Marvel's Defenders. Still have to start the current season of Preacher too. Season 3 of Narcos is also on the watch soon list. **** there are too many good shows!

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
This is inevitable. Will probably start with migration from the caribbean islands to Florida and on upwards from there.

It's truly amazing that our climate has become politicized. Makes no ****ing sense.

I know...it makes sense though to those who benefit from the politicization. Funny thing is our own military has acknowledged the reality of climate change because they have to plan for the contingencies. I have read some papers ...they are actually a matter of public record but being aware of reality actually requires being open to knowledge and reading and knowing how to distinguish between fact and fiction. It makes it harder when you get your knowledge delivered to you via Facebook and can't critically think. We need Sam from GoT to enlighten people....

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know...it makes sense though to those who benefit from the politicization. Funny thing is our own military has acknowledged the reality of climate change because they have to plan for the contingencies. I have read some papers ...they are actually a matter of public record but being aware of reality actually requires being open to knowledge and reading and knowing how to distinguish between fact and fiction. It makes it harder when you get your knowledge delivered to you via Facebook and can't critically think. We need Sam from GoT to enlighten people....

Well said.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Funny thing is our own military has acknowledged the reality of climate change because they have to plan for the contingencies.

So have insurance companies, although they are ramping up more now, after being more of a "year by year" and historical basis for models. Now they have to forecast the future and the industry is trying to work it out and has held some conferences to that effect.

Regardless of what heads of companies state out loud -- watch their planning and money and you'll find their real opinions/incentives. It is a very depoliticial way of sifting through the bologna. Also reading neutral websites, like The Real News (although I find them to be center-left), they are found to be "highly factual."

Follow the money.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I have many cousins/relatives in the Miami region. Says its pretty chaotic down there right now. They were trying to get out but hundreds of flights have been and are being canceled between now and Saturday. :(

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I have many cousins/relatives in the Miami region. Says its pretty chaotic down there right now. They were trying to get out but hundreds of flights have been and are being canceled between now and Saturday. :(

Yeah I was lucky I had my flight out of there yesterday reserved. People were scrambling..some paid more money until the airlines capped the fares.

Supposedly this beast might directly go through Trump's Mar a Lago...it already slammed into his Caribbean estate on St Martin which was on the market.

Oh and Harvey's flooding pushed the Earth's crust down 2cm and made Houston sink...:amazed:

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
So have insurance companies, although they are ramping up more now, after being more of a "year by year" and historical basis for models. Now they have to forecast the future and the industry is trying to work it out and has held some conferences to that effect.

Regardless of what heads of companies state out loud -- watch their planning and money and you'll find their real opinions/incentives. It is a very depoliticial way of sifting through the bologna. Also reading neutral websites, like The Real News (although I find them to be center-left), they are found to be "highly factual."

Follow the money.

Real News obviously has its slant but it is pretty factually accurate compared to the mainstream background noise.

Yeah insurance companies have had to adjust their risk management models to take into account climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad