OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If it were to reach land, about when could we expect this Hurricane in our neck of the woods? This time next week? Too early to tell?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's an old nuclear reactor there in Miami that they really worried about with the storm apparently. It doesn't have certain safeguards that could potentially be problematic if hit by the storm in place due to it's age.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
If it were to reach land, about when could we expect this Hurricane in our neck of the woods? This time next week? Too early to tell?

Al Roker has ruined the phrase Neck of the Woods for me. Everytime i hear it i see his face. :cry:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's an old nuclear reactor there in Miami that they really worried about with the storm apparently. It doesn't have certain safeguards that could potentially be problematic if hit by the storm in place due to it's age.

Preventing rector replacement out of fear of nuclear power is the best way to ensure those fears come true. Current gen reactors are incredibly safe.

When I'm King every house will have a reactor. And every child.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I'm currently sitting in FLL airport waiting to get out of dodge and back to Philly. I had a blast in Miami but if Irma hits Miami I guess they will get the blast. Hopefully, it will track out to sea and FL is spared or the US for that matter. Looks beastly though and seems likely the cone will impact FL in some manner ...directy or indirectly. There were lines for gas last night..some stations were out. I somehow got some gas for my rental vehicle. Shelves of water at whole foods were empty...but saw plenty of eggs and still some bread..albeit expensive bread. Anyway..lots of people trying to get flights out but everything booked. Thankfully, I had my reservation for today. I may be one of the lucky ones as a dude in the elevator told me. He had no success booking a flight out obviously. The Keys had a mandatory evac...remains to be seen if Miami etc does as well. Toll roads suspended which is good...

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Looks like Florida will be spared which is good news

Is this definitive

Weather Underground has it tracking as a Cat 3 to FL...

And....as I escape the hurricane I am sitting next to some some smelly hipster broad...ugh..might not survive afterall....

Last edited:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Is this definitive

Weather Underground has it tracking as a Cat 3 to FL...

And....as I escape the hurricane I am sitting next to some some smelly hipster broad...ugh..might not survive afterall....

Will have a better idea after the noon model runs but the past 24 hours model guidance has shifted eastward where it moves about 50 miles offshore then runs into GA/SC border

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Will have a better idea after the noon model runs but the past 24 hours model guidance has shifted eastward where it moves about 50 miles offshore then runs into GA/SC border

Any chance this potentially makes it worse for us? Or will it not really matter either way?

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
So the latest runs have the storm taking a track like the hurricane last year that hit. This is good news for Florida because they relatively didn't get hit that hard from Matthew

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Have a friend who decided to take his vacation down in Puerto Rico a couple of days ago.

Rough coincidence tbh

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
So the latest runs have the storm taking a track like the hurricane last year that hit. This is good news for Florida because they relatively didn't get hit that hard from Matthew

Can you reveal your source bc everything I am seeing just says it is tracking towards Florida but no mention of how direct?

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Just looking at ECMWF and GFS models are the two main ones and they have the storm just offshore Florida and riding up the coast like Matthew

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

Thanks..cool site even if it sounds like a dogfood..

I will tell you..I was swimming in the waters of South Beach Miami and the water was soupy warm...like a pool that had a solar cover on it during a heat wave. Prime conditions for a hurricane to feed from...

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Thanks..cool site even if it sounds like a dogfood..

I will tell you..I was swimming in the waters of South Beach Miami and the water was soupy warm...like a pool that had a solar cover on it during a heat wave. Prime conditions for a hurricane to feed from...

From what i saw with sea surface temperatures, its some of the warmest water in the world currently

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
From what i saw with sea surface temperatures, its some of the warmest water in the world currently

I believe it...I mean it was damn warm...like a warm tea. I don't recall ever swimming in ocean waters that warm. The whole time I thought it was the perfect conditions for the perfect storm...

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

The warm waters and the lack of land interaction is a recipe for substainability or even room for growth.

Mandatory evacuations are now in place for sections of Miami. Will be interesting to see what the models show in the next hour.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ive been to St. Maarten. Gorgeous island with wonderful people. Feel awful for them right now.

Hurricanes like this are only going go become more frequent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad