OT: 58th Obsequious Banter Thread - Something Something Leier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Looks like we will see some of Irma by Wed but nothing like the whole of Florida will see obviously. Miami, Orlando and Jax are some of the main targets apparently. But all of Florida is in for it. Irma will be worse than Andrew.

In other news...Mexico was rocked by a mag 8.0 earthquake...

Wtf is going on .....

We more than likely won't see anything from Irma now.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have family in Fort Lauderdale. Are they expected to get hit hard? Sounds like it but can't find anything definitive.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I have family in Fort Lauderdale. Are they expected to get hit hard? Sounds like it but can't find anything definitive.

Looks like the whole state is gonna get hammered.

But Broward County has a mandatory evacuation and Fort Lauderdale is in that county.

My family had a place down there for years and my Fiancé is supposed to have her bachelorette party there in a couple weeks.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia

But Broward County has a mandatory evacuation and Fort Lauderdale is in that county.

My family had a place down there for years and my Fiancé is supposed to have her bachelorette party there in a couple weeks.

There are jackasses still frolicking on the beaches....what is wrong with some people!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There are jackasses still frolicking on the beaches....what is wrong with some people!

I was in Fort Lauderdale for Katrina, I believe it made landfall as a Category 1 or maybe even just a tropical storm.

I saw a electric transformer explode in the beginning of the storm. I've never seen as many colors in my life.

Going out to see the aftermath the next day was pretty impressive.

But to answer your question, "It won't happen to me."

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Trying to catch that "50 year storm".
pointbreak1.jpg

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I believe Broward County only has a mandatory evacuation for people east of Route 1, so basically only right on the coast line. At least that's what my brother in law has told me who lives down there and didn't leave.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I believe Broward County only has a mandatory evacuation for people east of Route 1, so basically only right on the coast line. At least that's what my brother in law has told me who lives down there and didn't leave.

Yea, they have 3 different zones setup within the county. East of 1, the middle and then west of 95 maybe.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was in Fort Lauderdale for Katrina, I believe it made landfall as a Category 1 or maybe even just a tropical storm.

I saw a electric transformer explode in the beginning of the storm. I've never seen as many colors in my life.

Going out to see the aftermath the next day was pretty impressive.

But to answer your question, "It won't happen to me."

There was some kind of a minor discharge on the transformer up the block from our house in Stone Harbor. It wasn't a full explosion, but I know what you mean with the colors. Recordings don't do it justice.

The thing still spends all its time idly arcing and sparking.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
After Sandy, I was at work when a line of transformers went up, one after another. It was unreal.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Heads up, if you sign up for the free monitoring you are likely gonna forfeit any chance of getting class action payout.

Also heads up, a year of credit monitoring is almost certainly gonna be worth several times more than any payout you get from a lawsuit.

it isnt a easy call for folks who feel they may be affected.
I mean yeah there could be a lawsuit payout. But when would that come honestly? I am no legal expert. But these things I would think would take many years to settle.
i dont blame anyone for seeking out a company like lifelock

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
my uncle lives about a 25 minute drive north east of Fort Myers. I am guessing he has no place to go. But he said he has plenty of non perishable food and water in case the power goes out. He has been monitoring everything. I trust his judgement. I have known him my whole life, so if he said he will be ok I trust him.
I am still going to worry for him tho.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Irma hitting Cuba and weakening was a bit unexpected but good for south Florida. Still should be a 4-5 at landfall tho it could have been worse

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
i dont blame anyone for seeking out a company like lifelock

If it gives you peace of mind, I understand completely. From a technical point of view, it's worthless at best and exposes you to more risk at worst. The same goes for the new buzzword companies that provide "dark web monitoring services."

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Irma hitting Cuba and weakening was a bit unexpected but good for south Florida. Still should be a 4-5 at landfall tho it could have been worse

early morning reports had it weakened to a cat 3. about 120 MPH winds. the delayed turn to the north and riding the Cuban coast helped diminish the intensity. Still should take this storm very serious tho. you likely are still going to have very serious storm surges and there is a chance it could strengthen again before making landfall on the western coast of Florida.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
early morning reports had it weakened to a cat 3. about 120 MPH winds. the delayed turn to the north and riding the Cuban coast helped diminish the intensity. Still should take this storm very serious tho. you likely are still going to have very serious storm surges and there is a chance it could strengthen again before making landfall on the western coast of Florida.

Mhmm, pressure dropping currently, it will be a high category 4 or a 5 at landfall near Naples. Looks like eastern Florida gets spared the worst. Charley in 2004 went from a 2 to a 4 over the same area so rapid intensification likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad