Post-Game Talk: 5 minutes of work doesn't equal a win, Jets lose in OT 2-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets are 5 3 1 after 9 games. I mean, metrics? Who gives a shit.

5 3 1 after this schedule with our head coach missing 8 of out 9 games so far plus no ehlers. I'd say we are doing Allright.

Florida was one of the top teams last year... it's not like Maurice is coaching some perennial loser there plus who cares about Florida and Maurice

If you watched these games and were encouraged by the process then more power to you.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Jets are tied for first place in the division and people are complaining?
Playing 3 games in 4 nights and taking 5 of 6 points is a bad thing ... right?
I can see the Leaf fans complaining about the Leafs losing to all 3 California bottom feeder teams playing 3 games in 4 nights because they are Stanley Cup contenders but what's the excuse for some of these Jet fans on the boards.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Posted on Reddit
5A236697-3A8C-42AB-B37B-ABA313F1729C.jpeg

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I can see the Leaf fans complaining about the Leafs losing to all 3 California bottom feeder teams playing 3 games in 4 nights because they are Stanley Cup contenders but what's the excuse for some of these Jet fans on the boards.

Bi polar rock n rollers on here

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I can't agree more. Points in all 3 games. The Jets looked like the team playing their 3rd in 4 nights on the road, against a good team. The knights aren't a shit team. I'm good with it. Now if this is what it looks like with two days rest playing at home against Seattle I might feel differently.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
My concern is that this game will be seen as a win by Arneil and the coach`s. There can be little doubt that the strategy going in was to slow down and simplify the game, in hopes of keeping it a low event, low score game . Everything was chip and dump, but without the aggressive pursuit and forecheck, and much more a fall back and defend mentality.And Vegas was able to take full advantage.I hope it is clear to the coach`s that we were literally taken apart playing this style hockey, and that we stole a point only because of a superb, somewhat lucky, performance by Helle.

This is not a recipe for sustained success.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My concern is that this game will be seen as a win by Arneil and the coach`s. There can be little doubt that the strategy going in was to slow down and simplify the game, in hopes of keeping it a low event, low score game . Everything was chip and dump, but without the aggressive pursuit and forecheck, and much more a fall back and defend mentality.And Vegas was able to take full advantage.I hope it is clear to the coach`s that we were literally taken apart playing this style hockey, and that we stole a point only because of a superb, somewhat lucky, performance by Helle.

I very much agree, I thought our coaches got it wrong tonight from the get go. The template to beat Vegas is to play with speed and quickness. They excel when teams try to slow things down against them.

Reactions: None and ecolad

None

Feb 22, 2012

I can't imagine the players feel like this was a successful game plan regardless of what the coaches might suggest. They know they were outplayed better than anyone. A coach that wants them playing how they did tonight against Vegas isn't going to last long behind the bench because the players will push back.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Arniel said he liked the 3rd and 4th lines tonight and said the top guys need to learn to play a simpler game. He's right... the bad habits are still there in the top 6...

Gonna take time and maybe moving a player to change it. Some of these top 6 guys seem stuck in playing a certain way instead of doing what the bottom 6 guys are doing. Bottom 6 is outworking the top 6. Plus d men turning pucks over consistently don't help. Pionk is a disaster paired with Morrissey. Dubois looks like he's back to being the guy who showed up after the Columbus trade and not last years version. Wheels looks like he struggles to keep up. KC looks like he's trying to do to much. Appleton I like his hustle but he's not a top 6 guy.

Get ehlers back and grab another top 6 forward via trade. If things go bad u move Wheeler if u can and Dubois If he don't wanna be here asap b4 his value is completely tanked

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
These are the types of games that you almost don’t want to win.
If they win, it reinforces the thought that they believe they are talented enough to play like sh*t for 55 minutes and just turn it on for the last 5.
So same problem this team has had for 3, 4 seasons now..

Reactions: GNP

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Lol at ppl saying these are the games you almost don't want to win. Spoken like ppl who have never played sports of any kind. These points here are the difference between making the playoffs and not making it.

Wonder if Schmidt Morrissey should be a thing cuz pionk seems to not be the answer

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If the Jets are tied for first in the Central it's because of Vezina like goaltending.

I expect some changes when Ehlers comes back in, who goes out though?

I am curious why the d pairings were changed for the 2nd and then went back to the original ones for the 3rd.

Well that's the last trip to Vegas for the year, hopefully there are some improved efforts on the home stand.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Arniel said he liked the 3rd and 4th lines tonight and said the top guys need to learn to play a simpler game. He's right... the bad habits are still there in the top 6...

Gonna take time and maybe moving a player to change it. Some of these top 6 guys seem stuck in playing a certain way instead of doing what the bottom 6 guys are doing. Bottom 6 is outworking the top 6. Plus d men turning pucks over consistently don't help. Pionk is a disaster paired with Morrissey. Dubois looks like he's back to being the guy who showed up after the Columbus trade and not last years version. Wheels looks like he struggles to keep up. KC looks like he's trying to do to much. Appleton I like his hustle but he's not a top 6 guy.

Get ehlers back and grab another top 6 forward via trade. If things go bad u move Wheeler if u can and Dubois If he don't wanna be here asap b4 his value is completely tanked

I would for once like to hear what a coach means by playing a simpler game. I don't feel like the top 6 tried to do anything that fancy tonight. They did what the coach wanted and chipped it out and chipped it in and went in on the forecheck. If the game plan is to chip and chase and disrupt all year then yeah you are better off moving our skilled guys out because that type of game isn't in their DNA.

I don't mind wanting everyone to work but smart coaching realizes that you can't just put a cookie cutter approach on an entire team.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I would for once like to hear what a coach means by playing a simpler game. I don't feel like the top 6 tried to do anything that fancy tonight. They did what the coach wanted and chipped it out and chipped it in and went in on the forecheck. If the game plan is to chip and chase and disrupt all year then yeah you are better off moving our skilled guys out because that type of game isn't in their DNA.

I don't mind wanting everyone to work but smart coaching realizes that you can't just put a cookie cutter approach on an entire team.

Yeah, I think I can buy the PP needing to simplify things to get more out of it even if we only had 1 opportunity there, but even strength that game seemed about as barebones as you can get. I didn't see a team trying to force passes East-West all game, that was all North-South chip and chase hockey.
I think they've already started pulling back on the the defensemen pinching further than the top of the circles since the Toronto game so we're probably not going to get much offense from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad