Post-Game Talk: 5 minutes of work doesn't equal a win, Jets lose in OT 2-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
2 out of 5 Schwarzenegger’s and those 2 are ALL Helleboi
:hhal::spider::ghost1:

1667202276238.gif
M
1667202276238.gif

I guess if the playoffs started today we’d be in amazingly :grinch:

I guess it could be much much worse, just look at old buddies Rosy and Patty on the Columbus Blue Jackets! lol, yikes! Now that is scary.:eek2:

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Getting outshot the first 2 periods 33 -8, and only getting 4 shots on goal in each of the first 2 periods is just not going to cut it. This is what I call a fooling yourself win, and or tie. The Jets didn't deserve any points, and if this kind of inconsistent effort continues, we'll soon be in last place. Bowness can't get back quick enough in my mind, as Scott Arniel is not a motivating type guy -- another Dave Lowry. Of course I'm happy with the 5/6 points, but we need a more consistent effort.

The good part of this is Helle is playing great, but don't count on him, if his team leaves him out to dry like they did tonight. He'll soon quit as well, if he doesn't see the effort from his fellow teammates.

What is impressive is the effort put out by the 3rd and 4th lines, which is encouraging, and you have to ask yourself, if they can do it, why can't the 1st and 2nd lines do it as well.

I hope the Jets get their act together, as they got a free point tonight. There's a lot of work to do going forward for this team.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Helly played great and stole a point for us. 3rd game in 4 nights all on road and a 2-0-1 record, that's awesome actually. If we lose 5 games in a row then I'll start bitching . We have been without Ehlers for a while, our fastest player carrying the puck and he has been replaced by Appleton, just a little bit of a difference in talent there.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I cannot believe there are people in here saying that the team played exactly how the coaches wanted them to play….

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I get they're tired but painful watching scheifele and our defenceman completely give up on eichel and let him walk in with 6 seconds left
I doubt anybody has taken any increased training for stamina or top speed required for the “new two-way game”.
It is painful to watch when the team is up against speedier opposition..
You would think somebody would be discussing this. 😡

Reactions: GNP

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Lol at ppl saying these are the games you almost don't want to win. Spoken like ppl who have never played sports of any kind. These points here are the difference between making the playoffs and not making it.

Wonder if Schmidt Morrissey should be a thing cuz pionk seems to not be the answer
Ppppplayoffs! This team is not making the playoffs. If they do it is a 4 game sweep. They should not be rewarded with points let alone playoffs playing like this well Helly should but that is about it.
Yes, tough schedule to start but too many floaters in tue top 6 to make this a playoff team.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Hate to admit it but Vegas is probably the best team we've faced so far this season.
Right Or maybe just a team that trains a bit harder and longer?
Coaches? Anybody?
I wonder if Mike O'Shea would consider a job following this fall's gig with the BB?:D

Special assignment; collect pucks and sticks and have him standing around, scaring the living hell out of the D.

fbo-cfl-grey-cup-20191124.jpg
“ 20 Extra Speed Laps! And the last guy in gets to drink this skull of pi*# with the poisoned mushrooms!!”
(That would be equivalent to accountability and line changes 😂)

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Right Or maybe just a team that trains a bit harder and longer?
Coaches? Anybody?

“ 20 Extra Speed Laps! And the last guy in gets to drink this skull of pi*# with the poisoned mushrooms!!”
(That would be equivalent to accountability and line changes 😂)
The schrooms might actually help the D-men's perceptions as to team defence. :D

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing well. Maybe it will come together and we string together most games that resemble the Blues game. Maybe the wheels fall off. In the meantime, why not be OK with the fact that we're sitting 10th overall?

Personally, I think you're being unreasonable. Save your shitty moods for when it falls apart, if it does.

Do you see a good team buried underneath all of that miscarriage of transition play and inability to get it out of the defensive zone cleanly? The only thing I see is a team that plays a more structured game than they did last year, but they are still the same team. Being 10th in the league is nice when you deserve it, but the Jets are comfortably in the bottom half of the league in generating offense, defending, and special teams. This team without Hellebuyck is closer to Arizona than Dallas.

I'm being unreasonable? No. I think it's unreasonable to expect fans of a team to just sit back and enjoy wins no matter how they crop up. I can't look at last night's game and be happy that they came away with a point. I'm sorry, I just can't. I'd be okay with it if I knew they were a good team that had a off night. They haven't been a good team for the last 3 years. I haven't seen anything this season that has given me any hope that they can be a good team.

But maybe I am unreasonable. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect the Jets to perform like a playoff caliber team when they are playing the best team in the West at the tail end of three games in four nights twice in 10 days. Maybe the Jets are tired. Maybe the defense will finally learn how to transition and play with pace. Maybe the top six will quit sandbagging and have only one good player on each line. Maybe they'll quit chipping it out and chipping it in. Maybe they'll finally have more than one line that does anything positive in the offensive zone.

All I know is Hellebuyck means more to the Jets than Carey Price meant to the Canadiens. More than Henrik Lundquist meant to the Rangers. I don't want to think about this team without him on it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sure you can look at the Jets record and be all positive about that, but the way they are playing is going to cost them in the long run. You can only fluke out points and wins for so long. The upside is if the Jets actually start playing better these points they have stolen will be all bonus.

Some things...

- Morrissey has the most points on the team. Love to see this, but when you have a d-man leading your team in points, that's not a good sign for your forwards.
- Scheifele has 6 goals, most positive, but is a -3 on the season which is worse on the team. I think he has played better defense compared to last couple of seasons. but he still has to be better.
- Connor has 1 goal. I know it's just a matter of time and he will start putting them in, but it hurts not having him scoring.
- PP is 26th
- PK is 18th
- 22nd in shots taken per game
- Jets are 25th in goals per game scored, while being 8th in goals against per game. If they can get their offense going...

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Need to start playing better, but glad Vezina Helle is back so far this year. Bank these points and try to move forward.

Haven't seen the makings of a Bowness team yet really, this team is eerily similar to all the past versions of the Jets. Maybe the players just are who they are.

Reactions: BoneDocUK

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I get that the Jets played like shit but so far our bottom 6 has been light years better than probably the last 5 years. With Ehlers i think we have a decent top 6 and they will eventually start scoring more. Helly gets paid close to 7 million a season to stop the puck so if we have no legs because we have played 3 games in 4 nights all on the road and Helly has to bail them out once in a while i'm ok with that.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sure you can look at the Jets record and be all positive about that, but the way they are playing is going to cost them in the long run. You can only fluke out points and wins for so long. The upside is if the Jets actually start playing better these points they have stolen will be all bonus.

Some things...

- Morrissey has the most points on the team. Love to see this, but when you have a d-man leading your team in points, that's not a good sign for your forwards.
- Scheifele has 6 goals, most positive, but is a -3 on the season which is worse on the team. I think he has played better defense compared to last couple of seasons. but he still has to be better.
- Connor has 1 goal. I know it's just a matter of time and he will start putting them in, but it hurts not having him scoring.
- PP is 26th
- PK is 18th
- 22nd in shots taken per game
- Jets are 25th in goals per game scored, while being 8th in goals against per game. If they can get their offense going...

Aye. The trend after 10 games is troubling. I'm not sure if "getting their offense going" is enough after what we saw Bowness do in Dallas. That team was also a one line team. Just didn't expect that one line to be the 4th. >_>

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Personally, I think you're being unreasonable. Save your shitty moods for when it falls apart, if it does.

You need to learn that sports are entertainment and if its not entertaining for you, you can just shut the TV off. I did that against Arizona. It was boring so I shut it off. There is no need to be angry or upset over millionaires playing a kids game

Jets are tied for first place in the division and people are complaining?
Playing 3 games in 4 nights and taking 5 of 6 points is a bad thing ... right?
I can see the Leaf fans complaining about the Leafs losing to all 3 California bottom feeder teams playing 3 games in 4 nights because they are Stanley Cup contenders but what's the excuse for some of these Jet fans on the boards.
Unfortunately there's a certain element on this board that are never ever happy and seem to enjoy being miserable.

Some of the same people only now remember 2017/18 with fondness and claim that was the one enjoyable season, but my recollection was that this place was a cesspool of negativity even worse than right now up until about February 2018. It got so bad that I started the first positivity thread (by accident because a guy I had blocked did the GDT so I thought there was none and started my own) and ended up just staying in there all the time.

Which is all just to say this is nothing new and just the dangers of posting here. I don't like blocking people but it does help with one's enjoyment. If some people can only "enjoy" this entertainment by being angry all the time then its better they just do that without my involvement. I prefer to enjoy hockey as an "ignorant casual fan" who is too stupid to allow analytics to ruin his enjoyment of the sport.

That said, to this game in particular, not the strongest effort, but I was glad to see 3rd and 4th line still playing strong and I think that's a piece of how we skated away with 1 point (secondary to Helle's stellar play of course). If our 3rd and 4th were getting cratered as well, I don't think even Helle could have saved the Jets.

Also not on board with the Arniel hate for starting Lowry and Apples in OT. They were actually among the few playing decent and it wasn't them that got scored on in OT.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Question for a friend: is there a limit to how many people you can have on ignore? 🤣

Anyways, last game of a tough set of games. I think that combined with some extra curriculars from the boys showed last night. They looked a step behind all night.

Regardless of the play, they got a point and 5/6 on the trip.

I was hoping for 5-5 in the first 10 and we're going to do at least that.

With the schedule, new systems, Bowness Ehlers being out and Connor absolutely snakebit in pretty happy with where we are.

I want a big fan of the 3v3 player usage. I don't mind starting with Lowry as possession is key and many ot's don't lay long, but he should change asap once possession is decided. They overplayed 55 and 81 and it showed. I think Arniel was trying to get Connor a goal.

Perfetti absolutely should have gotten some looks. It'll be interesting to see how that's run with Bowness.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Unfortunately there's a certain element on this board that are never ever happy and seem to enjoy being miserable.

Some of the same people only now remember 2017/18 with fondness and claim that was the one enjoyable season, but my recollection was that this place was a cesspool of negativity even worse than right now up until about February. It got so bad that I started the first positivity thread (by accident because a guy I had blocked did the GDT so I thought there was none and started my own) and ended up just staying in there all the time.

Which is all just to say this is nothing new and just the dangers of posting here. I don't like blocking people but it does help with one's enjoyment. If some people can only "enjoy" this entertainment by being angry all the time then its better they just do that without my involvement. I prefer to enjoy hockey as an "ignorant casual fan" who is too stupid to allow analytics to ruin his enjoyment of the sport.

That said, to this game in particular, not the strongest effort, but I was glad to see 3rd and 4th line still playing strong and I think that's a piece of how we skated away with 1 point (secondary to Helle's stellar play of course). If our 3rd and 4th were getting cratered as well, I don't think even Helle could have saved the Jets.

Also not on board with the Arniel hate for starting Lowry and Apples in OT. They were actually among the few playing decent and it wasn't them that got scored on in OT.
I'm really liking our bottom 6 so far. Once we get Fly back and Connor starts scoring I think we'll have a pretty well balanced forward group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad