Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Interesting. He needs to go someplace else where he can get ice time. I posted the shift by shift from a USA game and he had maybe one small gaff. He was a beast, a wrecking ball and scored a sexy assist (all him from his amazing skating). If he can learn to play that way consistently, we might have something special.
The wings saw something in him to draft him there and have time to develop him, let's see how active they get in the next while to help ensure he has a chance of success.

Reactions: heyfolks

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've watched every shift of his, he was often the worst player on the ice. The most glaring thing is that he has no puck skills coupled with no hockey sense. The game is way too fast for him to process. Defensively, he doesn't have a good stick, he's not a good skater, terrible gaps and can't shut plays down. He was nothing like a wrecking ball, he hardly got the chance to be physical as he was always chasing the play. Not only was he the worst defensemen on wisco, he was very sheltered and only played 8 games against Big 10 team this year so its not like he was playing the best teams. He just brings no value and it was a terrible decision for him to attend college.

How did you watch all of his games?

He’s also pretty young for NCAA. It’s not common for players to play their 18yr old season there unless they are very good. He probably could have benefitted from 1-2 years in the USHL before joining the NCAA at 19-20. Here’s a great post from last year where they studied the ages of all the players:
This has been a factor in all of college sports with all these players being given extra eligibility due to covid. Age definitely played a factor in Clevelands useage this year. Wisconsins top 5 D are all 02s and 03s with one of them actually being born in 2000. Cleveland is an 05

Reactions: heyfolks

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
He just turned 19 yesterday. I think the idea with this one is he could be a unique player if pans out. The likelyhood of any of these players this late in the draft hitting it big is slim to none. Sometimes you have to shoot for the stars and hope to hit the moon.

This kid looks to be a 100% project.

His reverse speed is explosive. His forward speed looks fine (not losing races). His lateral movement is impressive for a big body. He has a lot of power in his hits. He is a 100% defense defenseman. He seems calm like Edvinsson (no panic). He PKed on team USA. He blocks shots.

That said, I wonder what changed? His shift by shift play shows flashes of something there. And it looks like he gets great pleasure hitting other players. He might be too nasty at times - taking penalties.

Is he suffering from injury? Is he bipolar? There's not a lot of tape, but the tape I have seen he looks like a pick worth the salt. Players like him don't come around in the NHL anymore. He's an old school mean and nasty stay at home guy.

Uhhh Late in the draft? He was picked 47th.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

This has been a factor in all of college sports with all these players being given extra eligibility due to covid. Age definitely played a factor in Clevelands useage this year. Wisconsins top 5 D are all 02s and 03s with one of them actually being born in 2000. Cleveland is an 05
Instat

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He’s also pretty young for NCAA. It’s not common for players to play their 18yr old season there unless they are very good. He probably could have benefitted from 1-2 years in the USHL before joining the NCAA at 19-20. Here’s a great post from last year where they studied the ages of all the players:

Notable is that only 36 out of 3875 players were 18 or younger. The majority of players were 21-23. Brady has an NCAA build/body but he’s 3-5 years less experienced than most of his peers and it shows.

Great insight. Thank you

Reactions: HoweFan

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The likelihood of getting an NHLer, let alone one of high impact, is surprisingly low even at the 47th spot.

It's not that low.

Hronek was #53, Bert was #58, Jarnkrok #51, Tats #60, Jimmy Howard #64, etc.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
34% likelihood for your 2nd rounder to play just 100 games in the NHL isn't exactly a banging high success rate. listing the guys Holland drafted from there that were actually decent NHLers just makes Holland look better.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Uhhh Late in the draft? He was picked 47th.

Statistically, if he plays 100 NHL games then that's considered a good pick. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. Gustav Lindstrom was a good pick @ 38th. I'm sure if you revisit this draft in 12 years you'll find 2 players that are appealing.

Here's a random draft. Scroll to the 2nd round and review the players compared to where they are today. Perspective.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
If you play 300 games in the NHL, that's a good career. Means you've stuck around on merit for probably a couple full seasons or at least been useful for several seasons. That's a good Draft pick. In the 15 drafts from 2000-14, 28.6 per cent of Draft picks from mid 2nd-round (47th OA) to the end of the second round played 300-plus NHL games. It's dispersed randomly, no clearly better results the earlier the player is selected in that range. The big drop-off in expected NHL success starts in the bottom quarter/third of the first round.

Why 300 GP? There's a fairly significant difference between the number of guys who play 300 and those who play just 100 (38 per cent of draftees in the latter half of the second round from 2000-14). It eliminates those who accumulated 100 at least partly because their team sucked and they fit in somewhere, usually over a number of seasons with different bad teams, despite not being a good player themselves.

Also, about 300 GP is where player pension benefits really become meaningful, about $80K per year if you wait till you're 62., less if you start collecting at 45yo.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Statistically, if he plays 100 NHL games then that's considered a good pick. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. Gustav Lindstrom was a good pick @ 38th. I'm sure if you revisit this draft in 12 years you'll find 2 players that are appealing.

Here's a random draft. Scroll to the 2nd round and review the players compared to where they are today. Perspective.

Well, any player picked after 47 would have been available, so look at the third round of that draft, and you'll realize there's one playing for teh Wings.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The wings saw something in him to draft him there and have time to develop him, let's see how active they get in the next while to help ensure he has a chance of success.
I have never seen him playing , but I remember Will Skouch said that he could be a steal 3-4 round

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Not saying hes in the HHOF yet, but all the micro stats that he does really well in according to this are the exact stats a modern day shutdown, physical D needs to be good on. Wins a tonne of puck battles, get a bunch of takeaways and then is obviously ridiculously physical.

Those are the more old school shutdown D attributes but a modern guy you have to move the puck in transition. His zone entries and exits are actually really good according to these guys as well. Yeah, his offence is non existent.

But theres some stats to give people hope hes actually been playing ok this year

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Not saying hes in the HHOF yet, but all the micro stats that he does really well in according to this are the exact stats a modern day shutdown, physical D needs to be good on. Wins a tonne of puck battles, get a bunch of takeaways and then is obviously ridiculously physical.

Those are the more old school shutdown D attributes but a modern guy you have to move the puck in transition. His zone entries and exits are actually really good according to these guys as well. Yeah, his offence is non existent.

But theres some stats to give people hope hes actually been playing ok this year

He played 110 total minutes, way too small of a sample size. Not to mention the stats are all from instat. Take it with a grain of salt.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
He played 110 total minutes, way too small of a sample size. Not to mention the stats are all from instat. Take it with a grain of salt.
All opinions on Brady Cleveland, aside from 1 person, are based on the same sample size of ~13 minutes and 39 seconds of video available on the internet. Take them with a grain of salt.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yep and those stats are from a larger sample than 99% of thos board have on the kid. I'm definitely taking them with a grain of salt, just like the opinions of people saying he has no chance of amounting to anything.

But the stats he excels in, are the types of things I wouldnt expect HFboard users to pick up on watching him rarely and are the type of things that start to stick out over time watching a player. Defensive stats are less noticeable than offensive flash and flare

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
CC should be a good spot for him to spend a couple of years. The team is in a really good conference and the new barn should help recruiting a lot (for a school that isn't easy to recruit to). While I don't know who they have coming in this year, I seem to remember them having a pretty small blueline.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
All opinions on Brady Cleveland, aside from 1 person, are based on the same sample size of ~13 minutes and 39 seconds of video available on the internet. Take them with a grain of salt.
All opinions on BC are based on his points production

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Yep and those stats are from a larger sample than 99% of thos board have on the kid. I'm definitely taking them with a grain of salt, just like the opinions of people saying he has no chance of amounting to anything.

But the stats he excels in, are the types of things I wouldnt expect HFboard users to pick up on watching him rarely and are the type of things that start to stick out over time watching a player. Defensive stats are less noticeable than offensive flash and flare
Here are two of his games from this year so people can make their own opinions

Attachments

• Cleveland vs Michigan 11:3.mp4
    72 MB
  • ClevelandvsPennState 2:23 .mp4
    98.1 MB
  • Love
Reactions: izlez

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hope he gets a better opportunity at CC and starts getting more reps in. If he can make it as a hard hitting 3rd pair/pker, I think folks will like watching that sort of player and it'll help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad