Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
There are no scouts here , just people with their opinion. When you spend some time to learn about prospect you could have your own opinion, doesn't mean it is right, just my opinion at this moment. I have never paid attention on Cleveland, because he was projected 3-4 round and we have 3 second round picks, so many guys to choose from
Those projections are rarely accurate. Not even top ten projections are accurate. I think the opinions of the guys making those projections are way overrated.

I have nothing against opinions, just opinions stated as facts.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
It's hockey's future.

It's about predicting the future. The main principle. That has always been in here.

I'm one of the "scouts", you hate or love it.
hate it

I CAN GIVE 924 VOTES THIS ROUND

• Haha
Reactions: Frk It

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
In the transfer portal, we will see where he goes, if he makes his decision completely on his own or if Yzerman/Draper steer him to a particular program (ex: North Dakota, Michigan, Michigan State, etc)

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
In the transfer portal, we will see where he goes, if he makes his decision completely on his own or if Yzerman/Draper steer him to a particular program (ex: North Dakota, Michigan, Michigan State, etc)
if he doesn't go directly from his college program to the nhl hall of fame i'll be shocked and disgusted. i mean, what else does he have to prove?

Reactions: Realgud

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Denver? If Wings sign Buium, ain't there room for one d-man?
Very possible, but it depends on what Carle wants to do with his D recruits (Pitner, Felicio, McLaughlin) and/or what he wants to do with the portal and bring guys in. S Buium and Behrens could very easily turn pro after Denver is done.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I checked his stats again and it looks like he is quite consistent. 2pts in 21-22, 3pts in 22-23, and 2pts in 23-24.

47th overall... And no one is responsible for this shit.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
This guy might be disappointed by the transfer portal. His second round pick status carries no sachet and I doubt any meaningful teams want a guy who only played *checks notes* 16 games this year.

Still an absolute head scratcher of a pick. If the Wings were really in love with this guy they almost certainly could've gotten him at 73.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
I have no hopes for Cleveland but for his sake he might benefit from the OHL. I think he just needs game reps at this point.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have no hopes for Cleveland but for his sake he might benefit from the OHL. I think he just needs game reps at this point.
That is an awful idea. You are giving him one season to be ready for a pro contract. If he has shown anything, it is that he needs development time.

Reactions: lilidk

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Has anyone actually watched this kid? I see lots of opinions but I don't anyone talking about his on ice play.

All I've seen was his highlight videos. Of course highlight videos show his best moments, but from what I can see this kid is a 6'5", 210ib wrecking ball who can skate. In the highlight videos, his shot looks good, his hockey sense appears good, his skating was way more impressive than expected... and best of all, he imposes a physical dominance that would make Radko Gudas blush.

Who has actually watched him play?

If this project can develop into what he was envisioned/hoped to be, then this could become a really special player.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Has anyone actually watched this kid? I see lots of opinions but I don't anyone talking about his on ice play.

All I've seen was his highlight videos. Of course highlight videos show his best moments, but from what I can see this kid is a 6'5", 210ib wrecking ball who can skate. In the highlight videos, his shot looks good, his hockey sense appears good, his skating was way more impressive than expected... and best of all, he imposes a physical dominance that would make Radko Gudas blush.

If this project can develop into what he was envisioned/hoped to be, then this could become a really special player.

People just want to crap on this kid without even giving him a chance. Makes him easy to root for.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I caught a few of his games this year. I can't say he stood out for the better or worse.

I don't think you have to watch him play to deuce things haven't gone well though. You have to wonder why he spent so many nights in the press box as a healthy scratch. Another thing that raises alarm bells is Mike Hastings is known to squeeze every ounce of potential out of his players. The fact that this year under Hastings amounted to squat turned me into a nay-sayer. Believe me, I was a torch bearer for the "give Brady a chance" mob.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I caught a few of his games this year. I can't say he stood out for the better or worse.

I don't think you have to watch him play to deuce things haven't gone well though. You have to wonder why he spent so many nights in the press box as a healthy scratch. Another thing that raises alarm bells is Mike Hastings is known to squeeze every ounce of potential out of his players. The fact that this year under Hastings amounted to squat turned me into a nay-sayer. Believe me, I was a torch bearer for the "give Brady a chance" mob.

I thought it was because of injury. Do you have a source for healthy scratch? I can't seem to find anything.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

I've watched every shift of his, he was often the worst player on the ice. The most glaring thing is that he has no puck skills coupled with no hockey sense. The game is way too fast for him to process. Defensively, he doesn't have a good stick, he's not a good skater, terrible gaps and can't shut plays down. He was nothing like a wrecking ball, he hardly got the chance to be physical as he was always chasing the play. Not only was he the worst defensemen on wisco, he was very sheltered and only played 8 games against Big 10 team this year so its not like he was playing the best teams. He just brings no value and it was a terrible decision for him to attend college.

Reactions: Gniwder

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I've watched every shift of his, he was often the worst player on the ice. The most glaring thing is that he has no puck skills coupled with no hockey sense. The game is way too fast for him to process. Defensively, he doesn't have a good stick, he's not a good skater, terrible gaps and can't shut plays down. He was nothing like a wrecking ball, he hardly got the chance to be physical as he was always chasing the play. Not only was he the worst defensemen on wisco, he was very sheltered and only played 8 games against Big 10 team this year so its not like he was playing the best teams. He just brings no value and it was a terrible decision for him to attend college.

He just turned 19 yesterday. I think the idea with this one is he could be a unique player if pans out. The likelyhood of any of these players this late in the draft hitting it big is slim to none. Sometimes you have to shoot for the stars and hope to hit the moon.

This kid looks to be a 100% project.

His reverse speed is explosive. His forward speed looks fine (not losing races). His lateral movement is impressive for a big body. He has a lot of power in his hits. He is a 100% defense defenseman. He seems calm like Edvinsson (no panic). He PKed on team USA. He blocks shots.

That said, I wonder what changed? His shift by shift play shows flashes of something there. And it looks like he gets great pleasure hitting other players. He might be too nasty at times - taking penalties.

Is he suffering from injury? Is he bipolar? There's not a lot of tape, but the tape I have seen he looks like a pick worth the salt. Players like him don't come around in the NHL anymore. He's an old school mean and nasty stay at home guy.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I thought it was because of injury. Do you have a source for healthy scratch? I can't seem to find anything.
He did have an injury that kept him out about 4 games he probably wouldn't have played in anyway. I knew he was scratched from Badger media and fans on the UW hockey forums. If you google "Brady Cleveland healthy scratch" this hits you in the face

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402-202602.png
    Screenshot_20240402-202602.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: heyfolks

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
He’s also pretty young for NCAA. It’s not common for players to play their 18yr old season there unless they are very good. He probably could have benefitted from 1-2 years in the USHL before joining the NCAA at 19-20. Here’s a great post from last year where they studied the ages of all the players:

Notable is that only 36 out of 3875 players were 18 or younger. The majority of players were 21-23. Brady has an NCAA build/body but he’s 3-5 years less experienced than most of his peers and it shows.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He did have an injury that kept him out about 4 games he probably wouldn't have played in anyway. I knew he was scratched from Badger media and fans on the UW hockey forums. If you google "Brady Cleveland healthy scratch" this hits you in the face

Interesting. He needs to go someplace else where he can get ice time. I posted the shift by shift from a USA game and he had maybe one small gaff. He was a beast, a wrecking ball and scored a sexy assist (all him from his amazing skating). If he can learn to play that way consistently, we might have something special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad