Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
To be honest though, the hype and expectations for Casey by Devils fans aren’t even in the same stratosphere as Habs fans with Hutson. Just go look at the Hutson threads.
We have Nemec and Hughes in front of him at the same position. Our excitement is mostly reserved for them. If Casey was all we had, he'd be the focus of our adoration.

Just ask David Hale. Or Steve Santini. Or Alex Urbom.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We have Nemec and Hughes in front of him at the same position. Our excitement is mostly reserved for them. If Casey was all we had, he'd be the focus of our adoration.

Just ask David Hale. Or Steve Santini. Or Alex Urbom.
I’m sure we’e be more excited for him, but I’ve seen a lot of “the next Makar” on Hutson threads. I can also see that with my 2 Habs fan buddies. Let’s just say Habs fans are very passionate haha. I get it though, Hutson has a nice offensive skillset, we’d be excited for him too, but as with any prospect, it’s not all good.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I’m sure we’e be more excited for him, but I’ve seen a lot of “the next Makar” on Hutson threads. I can also see that with my 2 Habs fan buddies. Let’s just say Habs fans are very passionate haha. I get it though, Hutson has a nice offensive skillset, we’d be excited for him too, but as with any prospect, it’s not all good.
I ... remember seeing "Hale is the next Stevens" back in the day on these boards, so ...

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
For Casey's size he has almost been impressive as Luke Hughes to me. He is a special player and at Michigan was the one of the best players on the ice.

He'll be a staple on our team in the future

Reactions: longislanddevil

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
He'll be a staple on our team in the future
1690993493394.png

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I ... remember seeing "Hale is the next Stevens" back in the day on these boards, so ...
Yes, but that was dumb and incredibly annoying. At the time it made zero sense unless you meant the equivalent to the “37 year Stevens”.

It was like saying that about Josh Jacobs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I went to go see North Dakota at Princeton in the fall of 2002 at Hobey Baker Arena just to see Hale. Lou was there sitting in the balcony watching the game too.

It took a whole period of watching Hale run around and slam little 5'8 collegiate forwards into the boards with a heavy shot that missed the net by two feet multiple times to know this wasn't a very good player...

That said, Parise had 5 assist that night and looked like a magician with the puck. And I remember leaning over to wife and saying to bad we'll never be in position to draft a player like that. :)

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I went to go see North Dakota at Princeton in the fall of 2002 at Hobey Baker Arena just to see Hale. Lou was there sitting in the balcony watching the game too.

It took a whole period of watching Hale run around and slam little 5'8 collegiate forwards into the boards with a heavy shot that missed the net by two feet multiple times to know this wasn't a very good player...

That said, Parise had 5 assist that night and looked like a magician with the puck. And I remember leaning over to wife and saying to bad we'll never be in position to draft a player like that. :)
That was after Hale was drafted? You wonder how the scouts could miss something that obvious.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Apparently Casey has a lot of value and to me would be devils best trade chip. I don’t see his future on this devils defense with Hamilton seigs Marino bahl nemec and Hughes. Most of these guys will be around for the next several years.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Apparently Casey has a lot of value and to me would be devils best trade chip. I don’t see his future on this devils defense with Hamilton seigs Marino bahl nemec and Hughes. Most of these guys will be around for the next several years.
How close is he to the NHL?

If he’s pushing for a job next year, that’s tough.

But if he’s 3+ years away (2 more at Michigan and at least one year between Utica / NJ), I think he has a lot of value to the Devils.

3 years puts Casey’s arrival when Dougie only has 2 years left on his deal. Dougie should be very tradeable then. He will have a modified no trade, and only $14 million left in comp, of which $7.4 is a bonus (I assume paid July 1). Heck, Marino’s deal is up in 4 years, so possible the Devils could deal him.

Real issue is whether Casey can be a regular top 4 d man. If he’s mostly a power play guy in the NHL, then might as well deal him. That’s the one thing the Devils won’t need for the foreseeable future.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That was after Hale was drafted? You wonder how the scouts could miss something that obvious.
Yeah it was after he was drafted and just before he joined the team...

I'm not sure the scouts missed anything though, his style was desired. Guys like Keith Carney, Willie Mitchell, Eric Cairns, Robyn Reghr, Colin White, Barrett Jackman....were all over the league...Hale just wasn't that good defensively or physical enough to fill that role...He really had a limited toolbox....and a "stay-at-home" defender that isn't all that sound positionally is pretty much useless. I always found it incredible that he managed to get 300+ games in the league.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
49811.jpg

Too small, too frail, too weak.

There's a reason his home town team in Miami passed on drafting him, and they're known for always making the right decisions and having smart hockey people.

Yet another strike out and failure by Castron.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Sean Shapiro had this to say about Casey’s showcase

“The New Jersey Devils prospect is one of the few defenceman that stood out to me for actual defensive reasons from Team USA at the camp. Something to think about as the construct the roster for December and January.”

This kid is so good

I really don’t think he’d he valued as highly as he should be. I’m not moving him unless he is the centerpiece for a star and I don’t see that happening. No reason to move him prematurely. I could also easily see a situation in 2 years where Bahl prices himself out of a 3rd pair role here and we’d be better off with like Casey/Vilen as the 6/7D. With Bahl’s size if he keeps it up and is actually good then he’d be looking at like 3 mil min on his next deal and I don’t want that for a 3rd pair D when we should end up having other options.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The weird part about Hale:

This is the list of 18 year old D+1 prospect drafted in the 1st round out of the USHL from these dates:

120DD856-CD13-4C07-8520-19D329885E30.jpeg

Yes. Just Hale*. So, that’s weird. He ended up being a defensive depth piece, like most of the guys drafted at 18 out of the USHL who work out.

As a reminder, David Hale was drafted out of the Sioux City Musketeers and went to the U of North Dakota.
2000 NJD 1st Rd #22
Jun 18, 1981 (age 18)
5 years 102 AHL GP
7 years 327 NHL GP

How about with 2nds? (That’s a thumbnail lol, it was so wee at regular size.)
276E217A-4051-4437-AA26-A2B3B2BD0429.jpeg
Now this is just listing 2nd round picks playing in the USHL.

Rasmus Bengtsson played in the USHL in 2011-12, but he was drafted out of Sweden in 2011 (FLA 2nd Rd #59) in his age 17 season. (Never played in NA as a pro.)

Scott Perunovich was drafted at 19 in 2018 (STL 2nd Rd #45) out of the U of Minnesota-Duluth. He’s excelled at winning awards and having surgery (he’s had at least 3 each of both).
2 years 39 AHL GP
3 years 19 NHL GP

Tommy Cross (2007 BOS 2nd Rd #35) sounds like a fictional character and was drafted at age 17 out of USHS-Prep, then played more in high school and in the USHL at 18, before heading to Boston College at 19.
12 years 588 AHL GP
2 years 3 NHL GP

So those guys aren’t like Hale, only four of these dudes were drafted in their D+1 year out of the USHL. Let’s meet our contestants!

Mason Lohrei was drafted out of the USHL at 18 as a D+1. Green Bay Gamblers to Ohio State, he just went pro after the 2022-23 season.
2020 BOS 2nd Rd #58
Jan 17, 2001 (age 18)
1 year 5 AHL GP

Matt Greene was from Hale’s era, just more successful. He had more of a pedigree than Hale, having played in the NTDP and in the WJC-U18.
2002 EDM 2nd #44
May 13, 1983 (age 18)
1 year 26 AHL GP
12 years 615 NHL GP (12 SC w/ LAK)

Then there’s (unless I’m missing someone) the most successful player drafted straight out of the USHL at 18, Alex Goligoski.

From Sioux Fall Stampede/ Minny high school hockey and the U of Minnesota, to a Cup win with the Pens, an impressive prime in Dallas, then years of semi-retirement in Arizona and now full circle back to Minny - what a career he’s had so far.
2004 PIT 2nd Rd #61
Jul 30, 1985 (age 18)
2 years 96 AHL GP
17 years 1042 NHL GP

The last of these D+1 players drafted out of USHL, Josh DeWolf, never played in the NHL, making him the least successful one in history (so far). Which team drafted this loser? Oh my.
1996 NJD 2nd Rd #41
July 25, 1977 (age 18)
7 years 363 AHL GP

Now Lou traded our 1996 #28 for the #41 and #49 and then drafted Colin White with the later pick, so all wasn’t lost. DeWolf was shipped off to Montreal in 2000 as a throw-in in the Malakov trade.

Yes, I went to all this trouble mostly to name drop Josh DeWolf.

*I stopped at 21/22 because Chicago decided to be the 2nd team ever to do it again at the 2022 Draft with Sam Rinzel at #25.

Reactions: JimEIV and Guadana

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The weird part about Hale:

This is the list of 18 year old D+1 prospect drafted in the 1st round out of the USHL from these dates:

View attachment 733795

Yes. Just Hale*. So, that’s weird. He ended up being a defensive depth piece, like most of the guys drafted at 18 out of the USHL who work out.

As a reminder, David Hale was drafted out of the Sioux City Musketeers and went to the U of North Dakota.
2000 NJD 1st Rd #22
Jun 18, 1981 (age 18)
5 years 102 AHL GP
7 years 327 NHL GP

How about with 2nds? (That’s a thumbnail lol, it was so wee at regular size.)
View attachment 733797
Now this is just listing 2nd round picks playing in the USHL.

Rasmus Bengtsson played in the USHL in 2011-12, but he was drafted out of Sweden in 2011 (FLA 2nd Rd #59) in his age 17 season. (Never played in NA as a pro.)

Scott Perunovich was drafted at 19 in 2018 (STL 2nd Rd #45) out of the U of Minnesota-Duluth. He’s excelled at winning awards and having surgery (he’s had at least 3 each of both).
2 years 39 AHL GP
3 years 19 NHL GP

Tommy Cross (2007 BOS 2nd Rd #35) sounds like a fictional character and was drafted at age 17 out of USHS-Prep, then played more in high school and in the USHL at 18, before heading to Boston College at 19.
12 years 588 AHL GP
2 years 3 NHL GP

So those guys aren’t like Hale, only four of these dudes were drafted in their D+1 year out of the USHL. Let’s meet our contestants!

Mason Lohrei was drafted out of the USHL at 18 as a D+1. Green Bay Gamblers to Ohio State, he just went pro after the 2022-23 season.
2020 BOS 2nd Rd #58
Jan 17, 2001 (age 18)
1 year 5 AHL GP

Matt Greene was from Hale’s era, just more successful. He had more of a pedigree than Hale, having played in the NTDP and in the WJC-U18.
2002 EDM 2nd #44
May 13, 1983 (age 18)
1 year 26 AHL GP
12 years 615 NHL GP (12 SC w/ LAK)

Then there’s (unless I’m missing someone) the most successful player drafted straight out of the USHL at 18, Alex Goligoski.

From Sioux Fall Stampede/ Minny high school hockey and the U of Minnesota, to a Cup win with the Pens, an impressive prime in Dallas, then years of semi-retirement in Arizona and now full circle back to Minny - what a career he’s had so far.
2004 PIT 2nd Rd #61
Jul 30, 1985 (age 18)
2 years 96 AHL GP
17 years 1042 NHL GP

The last of these D+1 players drafted out of USHL, Josh DeWolf, never played in the NHL, making him the least successful one in history (so far). Which team drafted this loser? Oh my.
1996 NJD 2nd Rd #41
July 25, 1977 (age 18)
7 years 363 AHL GP

Now Lou traded our 1996 #28 for the #41 and #49 and then drafted Colin White with the later pick, so all wasn’t lost. DeWolf was shipped off to Montreal in 2000 as a throw-in in the Malakov trade.

Yes, I went to all this trouble mostly to name drop Josh DeWolf.

*I stopped at 21/22 because Chicago decided to be the 2nd team ever to do it again at the 2022 Draft with Sam Rinzel at #25.

I was going to say 327 nhl games isn't bad for a late 1st rounder but then I looked at the draft. The bottom 1st round of that draft had a ton of really nice depth. Then picks #7 to #17 only had Hainsey make a decent career for himself.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Sean Shapiro had this to say about Casey’s showcase

This kid is so good

I really don’t think he’d he valued as highly as he should be. I’m not moving him unless he is the centerpiece for a star and I don’t see that happening. No reason to move him prematurely. I could also easily see a situation in 2 years where Bahl prices himself out of a 3rd pair role here and we’d be better off with like Casey/Vilen as the 6/7D. With Bahl’s size if he keeps it up and is actually good then he’d be looking at like 3 mil min on his next deal and I don’t want that for a 3rd pair D when we should end up having other options.
May be fantastischen young goalie trade? We should save Casey, because for now, no matter how fans like Leddy, McCarthy and Barabosha, Casey is the only legit contender for 7D spot as RD. And its not like we don't have 3 years for his development in NCAA and in AHL after. After three years Dougie will have only two years of his deal and, as I remember, limited or no NMC.
I don't see any need for star trade with Jack, Nico, Meier, Bratt, Dawson, Dougie, Luke and Simon in the roster. We need good complimentary pieces and Casey, even with his issues, isn't a player to trade complimentary piece for.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think in an ideal world Nemec is proving worthy of a spot and he's pushing Hamilton out of the lineup allowing Casey to come in on the cheap ELC and we move Hamilton. This is an idealistic scenario though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
May be fantastischen young goalie trade? We should save Casey, because for now, no matter how fans like Leddy, McCarthy and Barabosha, Casey is the only legit contender for 7D spot as RD. And its not like we don't have 3 years for his development in NCAA and in AHL after. After three years Dougie will have only two years of his deal and, as I remember, limited or no NMC.
I don't see any need for star trade with Jack, Nico, Meier, Bratt, Dawson, Dougie, Luke and Simon in the roster. We need good complimentary pieces and Casey, even with his issues, isn't a player to trade complimentary piece for.

If it’s a young goalie trade it’d need to be for like Swayman. He might not be a star yet but he’s one of the few goalies I feel confident would be a star. I really wouldn’t even have an issue keeping Dougie in a few years if he’s still really good and using Casey as 3LD. I feel like he’d be talented enough to pull that off. If Luke-Nemec is a pair that works out then go Casey-Marino as your 3rd pair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad