World Cup: 4 Nations Tournament- Team USA (2025)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No way is L. Hughes slotting ahead of Faber on his offside.
Luke looked like an absolute beast at the WC playing on his offside, he's done it a ton in his career and he's always been more dangerous coming off the right point. He's going to be an absolute horse this year, he looked like he had gotten a fair amount stronger and faster in only the month he had off. Faber is awesome and had the better rookie season as the more polished defender, but I expect Luke to make a big jump this year and be the better overall defender by the time the tournament rolls around. I also prefer his mobility, which is critical in best on best tournaments.
Ryan McDonagh isn't it shouldn't be on this team.
Disagree, he's been underrated his whole career. There's a reason Tampa wanted him back. He's an absolute warrior and terrific leader, and he can still skate.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Swap out Boldy then.

Nope, Boldy is better than Tuch and a better 2 way player than Connor, who sucks
defensively.

Boldy will break out to an 80+ point player while playing a responsible two way game this year. A good linemate for Matthews or Eichel.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Luke looked like an absolute beast at the WC playing on his offside, he's done it a ton in his career and he's always been more dangerous coming off the right point. He's going to be an absolute horse this year, he looked like he had gotten a fair amount stronger and faster in only the month he had off. Faber is awesome and had the better rookie season as the more polished defender, but I expect Luke to make a big jump this year and be the better overall defender by the time the tournament rolls around. I also prefer his mobility, which is critical in best on best tournaments.

Disagree, he's been underrated his whole career. There's a reason Tampa wanted him back. He's an absolute warrior and terrific leader, and he can still skate.

I am not taking a 35 year old McDonagh over Werenski.

TB D was ####ing trash after Hedman, Sergachev and Cernak. That's why they traded
for him. Incidentally the return Nashville wasn't anything special. He'll get #3\#4 TOI for TB next year. He is past peak and I would take both Hughes's, Slavin and Sanderson over him 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Fox, McAvoy, Faber and Jones are the RD.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I am not taking a 35 year old McDonagh over Werenski.
We obviously have different opinions.

Werenski is great offensively but is too lazy in his own end. We have enough offense coming from the backend to be able to leave guys like Werenski and Carlson at home. I'd prefer a steady leader who's a proven winner, with a compete level that pushes the rest of the team.

And it's not like he's 42 - he just 35, plenty young for an athlete like McD.

He's coming off his most productive season in 5 years. And he's led the Predators in +/- each of the last 2 seasons while averaging ~22 minutes a night (~24 mins in the playoffs). He's far from washed up.

TB D was ####ing trash after Hedman, Sergachev and Cernak. That's why they traded
for him. Incidentally the return Nashville wasn't anything special. He'll get #3\#4 TOI for TB next year. He is past peak and I would take both Hughes's, Slavin and Sanderson over him 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Fox, McAvoy, Faber and Jones are the RD.
He's past his peak yet still plays 22 minutes a night while being a dominant player in terms of goal differential and producing offensively.

He's never had a negative 5v5 goal differential in his 15 years in the league.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wouldn't have McDonagh on the Olympics team, but I think he would be very viable on the 4 Nations team. He'd be a great buddy for a young guy like Faber. Here's how I see the defense shaking out:

Locks:

Q. Hughes
A. Fox
J. Slavin
C. McAvoy
Z. Werenski

That leaves up to three slots. I think Jones probably makes the team (right or wrong). That leaves two slots. Young guys like Faber, Sanderson, Vlasic and L. Hughes are strong possibilities. Other, more veteran possibilities include McDonagh and Hanifin. It's a deep group.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
We obviously have different opinions.

Werenski is great offensively but is too lazy in his own end. We have enough offense coming from the backend to be able to leave guys like Werenski and Carlson at home. I'd prefer a steady leader who's a proven winner, with a compete level that pushes the rest of the team.

And it's not like he's 42 - he just 35, plenty young for an athlete like McD.

He's coming off his most productive season in 5 years. And he's led the Predators in +/- each of the last 2 seasons while averaging ~22 minutes a night (~24 mins in the playoffs). He's far from washed up.

He's past his peak yet still plays 22 minutes a night while being a dominant player in terms of goal differential and producing offensively.

He's never had a negative 5v5 goal differential in his 15 years in the league.

Did u look at Nashville's D corp after Josi? He will get #3D or #4D minutes with TB next year.

Who saying he's a stiff? He wouldn't slot any higher than #7D on LD depth chart.
You have the 4D that l already mentioned, plus Miller with the NYR and Hanifin with Vegas that I have rated as a better LD.

If you were icing teams with 6D, he probably would be #1LD on a USA C Team or
3D on a USA B Team. Not a slight at him but for me there are 6 better
LD than him.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Did u look at Nashville's D corp after Josi? He will get #3D or #4D minutes with TB next year.
He averaged 22:27 TOI when he played in Tampa 2 years ago, and he hasn't shown any signs of falling off. He was 2nd in 5v5 TOI and led the team in 5v5 + SH ice time.

What makes you think he will get less ice time than Cernak? Guy only got 19 mins a game last year lol. McDonagh will again be TB's best shutdown defender.

Who saying he's a stiff? He wouldn't slot any higher than #7D on LD depth chart.
You have the 4D that l already mentioned, plus Miller with the NYR and Hanifin with Vegas that I have rated as a better LD.

If you were icing teams with 6D, he probably would be #1LD on a USA C Team or
3D on a USA B Team. Not a slight at him but for me there are 6 better
LD than him.
McDonagh is easily the 2nd best defender among LD available to the US, Slavin is the only guy who is better at shutting down the opposition. Sanderson, Hanifin, and Vlasic (who is really coming into his own) are good options as well, I'd prefer them to Werenski unless Werenski has a babysitter (and even still I might). But I have McDonagh ahead of them.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
McDonagh is most certainly a strong candidate for the team. The biggest thing is the age and whether his game were to fall off drastically as happens with age. But if it doesn't, he's a top 10 (at worst) defensive defenseman in the NHL and would be a huge asset on the backend.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I wouldn't have McDonagh on the Olympics team, but I think he would be very viable on the 4 Nations team. He'd be a great buddy for a young guy like Faber. Here's how I see the defense shaking out:

Locks:

Q. Hughes
A. Fox
J. Slavin
C. McAvoy
Z. Werenski

That leaves up to three slots. I think Jones probably makes the team (right or wrong). That leaves two slots. Young guys like Faber, Sanderson, Vlasic and L. Hughes are strong possibilities. Other, more veteran possibilities include McDonagh and Hanifin. It's a deep group.
Strong group of Dmen. Good problem to have when some excellent defenseman tough decisions. Unfortunately some will not make it on.

With NO Poille, Burke and Shero involved. Think the right choices will be made. 2014 Canada D lineup, was the key for me, when they took out a real good US team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
First six players will be announced tomorrow.

Who do you think will be the first six? And which off-the-wall selection are you dreading (a la Seth Jones as one of the first 3 named to the 2022 Olympic team)?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My guess:

Auston Matthews
Jack Eichel
Matthew Tkachuk
Charlie McAvoy
Adam Fox
Connor Hellebuyck

They'll name Tkachuk after the Cup and Helle after his second Vezina. I think Quinn Hughes is probably one of the first over McAvoy, too, but Mac is so underrated that I'm throwing him the bone.

My unexpected guy to show up in the first six is Kane. I fully expect him on the team as long as he's healthy but that's no guarantee. But they'll want his name in the early announcement.

I will throw my laptop if Seth Jones comes up.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
First six players will be announced tomorrow.

Who do you think will be the first six? And which off-the-wall selection are you dreading (a la Seth Jones as one of the first 3 named to the 2022 Olympic team)?
Probably a goalie, two d-men, and three forwards.

C. Hellebucyk
Q. Hughes
A. Fox
A. Matthews
M. Tkachuk
P. Kane

That would actually be a sick line.

Reactions: William H Bonney

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
A flawless start. A bit surprising to see J. Hughes missing but I am glad they did it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad