Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have trouble seeing where he's going to fit in long term with our depth on the left side but am happy with the progression. He was one of the youngest kids in the draft so I was ready to be patient, looks like he's ahead of where I expected.
Jarventie is an interesting prospect, he seems to have a number of very good offensive weapons such as shot, vision & passing ability. My only real concern with this guy is his compete level & taking shifts off. DJ has constructed an attack team & everyone has to buy in to this system & I'm not sure at times Jarventie has the drive to do it consistently.

Some can definitely learn it while others never seem to be able to gear up. Depending on what happens with Formenton Jarventie should be in the mix as a replacement. Ostapchuk is an example of a player who is not quite as gifted offensively, but has that drive on every shift DJ will love. It also might not matter if they have a good enough combination of both kinds of players which they seem to be acquiring. Greig is a guy who has both, in fact, he is good at a lot of things & also plays with an edge, drive & determination.
Chychrun trade bait?
Very real possibility.

Last edited:

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
He's already made an NHL roster and demonstrated he belongs on an NHL roster. Prospects are players who haven't done that yet.

Assen na yo!
Either way, prospect is an arbitrary term. I don't think anyone can prove much in less than 20 games. Although the expectations are sky high for Pinto, he hasn't cemented his spot in the lineup just yet and therefore he should still be considered a prospect imo.

Itadakimasu!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's already made an NHL roster and demonstrated he belongs on an NHL roster. Prospects are players who haven't done that yet.

Assen na yo!
He played 5 games last season, it's entirely possible albeit unlikely that he could have been sent down if he didn't produce. Heck, had White not been injured there would have been some legitimate debate on what was best for Pinto's development.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie is underrated around here, him and Greig were born on the same day, playing the same tournament, and Jarventie is actually scoring at a higher clip. Greig is the better overall prospect, looks like he might be done with an unfortunate shoulder injury. Hope nothing long-term. But it shows Jarventie is progressing very well relative to his peers picked higher than him.

I was surprised to see Jarventie finish as 10th best.

It was hard to get into the Top-7 (big 3, Sogaard, Thomson, JBD and Ostapchuk) but Jarventie should have been voted before Boucher FOR SURE. Roby is only 5 months older and looks to be MILES ahead of Boucher. Tyler clearly got voted because of draft position

The most likely prospect to increase his stock this year too. Could be considered a top 3 prospect in the system along with Greig if he has a strong year in the AHL. Especially since Sanderson is probably graduating.

Yeah, barring injury, with the graduations of Sanderson and Pinto, Greig will most likely be #1 unless he graduates as well but then we'll see a battle between guys like Ostapchuk and Jarventie. And who knows? Maybe Sogaard

Assen na yo!

21 y/o players who are eligible for the Calder trophy are usually still considered as prospects

Assen na yo!

He played 5 games last season, it's entirely possible albeit unlikely that he could have been sent down if he didn't produce. Heck, had White not been injured there would have been some legitimate debate on what was best for Pinto's development.

1:20 and 4:51 TOI in his last 2 games, he barely played 3 games last season.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Everyone's going to pikachu face if Pinto ends up being sent down to the AHL :laugh:
Would also work out for contract negotiations if he's not quite developed enough yet. Team needs that 3C though so hopefully he's ready...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Everyone's going to pikachu face if Pinto ends up being sent down to the AHL :laugh:
Would also work out for contract negotiations if he's not quite developed enough yet. Team needs that 3C though so hopefully he's ready...

Ya … that’s not happening. The kid is an excellent hockey player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's not really any competition for third line center this year, they've pretty clearly written him in. He looked ready last year too before getting hurt but you never know, good players have spent time in the AHL before, it's as much about depth in the roster and one way vs two way contracts as it is about being ready.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It will be interesting to see if Pinto can handle the 3C role. Being in that role means you have to bring a lot of different aspects to your game.

Reactions: Cosmix

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It will be interesting to see if Pinto can handle the 3C role. Being in that role means you have to bring a lot of different aspects to your game.
I think he will be fine. Less pressure with two top lines ahead of you.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
If he plays like he already has, there won't be a problem. Pretty confident that he will excel at that position and watching him progress will be exciting.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If he plays like he already has, there won't be a problem. Pretty confident that he will excel at that position and watching him progress will be exciting.
very small sample size. Over 82 games it will be much harder though he is a bit older now

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't been able to catch anything but highlights of the WJC this year, how engaged does Jarventie look this time around, we've seen a lot of his excellent shot in the replays but I'm more concerned about how he looks away from the puck and trying to retrieve possession.

I think he's going to need to develop into a pretty complete player to crack the roster, especially if we extend DeBrincat.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously the best player ever

I haven't been able to catch anything but highlights of the WJC this year, how engaged does Jarventie look this time around, we've seen a lot of his excellent shot in the replays but I'm more concerned about how he looks away from the puck and trying to retrieve possession.

I think he's going to need to develop into a pretty complete player to crack the roster, especially if we extend DeBrincat.
I legit don’t see a spot for him for the next 3 years. I know it’s always dangerous to project that far and things change but our contracts and our players…we are nearly very very set at forward until giroux’s contract is over

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

I legit don’t see a spot for him for the next 3 years. I know it’s always dangerous to project that far and things change but our contracts and our players…we are nearly very very set at forward until giroux’s contract is over

I think he could play his way to that 2nd line wing spot in 2-3 years with Giroux moving down the line-up in his last year with the team or if/when he pulls a Spezza and agrees to play in a diminished roll and signs 1 year low $$ contracts.

There's going to be a wild amount of competition though and it is far more likely he gets moved for help in other parts of the lineup.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

There are always trades that could free up a roster spot fort Jarventie if he develops into a legit NHL winger.

Reactions: Emrasie

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you th
There are always trades that could free up a roster spot fort Jarventie if he develops into a legit NHL winger.
Do you think he’s developing past tkatchuk batherson debrincat giroux? Don’t think he plays the style coach would want on the third line

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He not all that engaged from what I've seen. It's definitely a lot harder to notice him than Greig for example. The consistency hasn't be there for me. He has a lot of skill and I think that gets underrated at times but off the puck he reminds me of Zach Sanford with less physically. There's still a lot of room for him to grow into a player and playing in the AHL last year could allow him to make some big steps throughout this upcoming season. The timing of this tournament probably isn't helping a player like him.

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad