Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He not all that engaged from what I've seen. It's definitely a lot harder to notice him than Greig for example. The consistency hasn't be there for me. He has a lot of skill and I think that gets underrated at times but off the puck he reminds me of Zach Sanford with less physically. There's still a lot of room for him to grow into a player and playing in the AHL last year could allow him to make some big steps throughout this upcoming season. The timing of this tournament probably isn't helping a player like him.

He's 3rd in the tourney in scoring, so the timing isn't hurting him TOO much. I haven't watched whole games but he's been involved in the play from what I've seen and playing pretty well. He's never going to play the same style as Greig but he's burying his chances and creating chances for others.

I don't really see how this tournament can be viewed as anything but a success for him.

Reactions: Cosmix and Emrasie

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I haven't been able to catch anything but highlights of the WJC this year, how engaged does Jarventie look this time around, we've seen a lot of his excellent shot in the replays but I'm more concerned about how he looks away from the puck and trying to retrieve possession.

I think he's going to need to develop into a pretty complete player to crack the roster, especially if we extend DeBrincat.

Boom Boom has made his limited minutes count, per TOI he has the most points this tournament. A “disengaged” player won’t have those numbers, as I have seen some posters describing him as. He reminds me of Dany Heatley, in that he looks lazy at times but what I really see is him giving himself the best position to score, giving his line mates options. Finland’s been made it this far despite poor defence, goaltending, and penalty killing. They are winning based on their powerplays, where Jarventie is the king with that bomb of a shot. He is having an excellent tournament.

Not physically NHL ready, he can stand to gain some weight and time is very much on his side to develop into a PP2 scoring option for the Sens in the future.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's 3rd in the tourney in scoring, so the timing isn't hurting him TOO much. I haven't watched whole games but he's been involved in the play from what I've seen and playing pretty well. He's never going to play the same style as Greig but he's burying his chances and creating chances for others.

I don't really see how this tournament can be viewed as anything but a success for him.

He has been useful on the PP, were 7 of his points and all of his goals have come. His play on the puck has been good even at ES. Off the puck his game has left a lot to be desired and I think his usage at ES reflects that. It has been a good tournament overall, it obvious what he can do, but it's also obvious that there's areas that still require significant growth. Going back to that post I was responding too, he doesn't look all that engaged away from the puck.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
For me he doesn't seems lazy, ok he is not Grieg who is 110% all the time but he made forecheck effort on all occasions he had, he has played good defense. He wasn't responsable for any TO against from what i saw.
He should see more TOI but he probably won't, and i don't know why but reading Finland topic, the coach is special.

Reactions: armani

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Perhaps my expectation were low going into the tournament, but I find Jarventie has greatly improved his play away from the puck and board play in general. His overall engagement, thanks to Mann and the year in Bellville, has been a pleasant surprise. There have been several plays where he has been dogged on the backcheck and shown a willingness to board battle and compete for time and space. Is it where it needs to be? Maybe not, but it is certainly trending in the right direction.

He is also getting better as the tournament progresses. So as the intensity and tight checking increases, he appears to be getting better, but this has to be closely monitored now we are in the final four.

The offense ability is there. He is just now realizing how good he can be.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He is low-key physical as well. He isn't running guys but he isn't turning away from from hits and he is leaning on people just about every time he has a chance.

Also been using his reach better which is great. The good news is we are seeing improvement but there is still lots of room to get better.

Reactions: Cosmix and Emrasie

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It will be interesting to see if Pinto can handle the 3C role. Being in that role means you have to bring a lot of different aspects to your game.

No it won’t - the answer is simple. Yes he can. He will have Giroux and Norris/Brady to insulate him as needed.

For the first time ever DJ has some serious options to play against other teams top lines. I think we’ll see some variations (Brady, Norris, Pinto, Joseph, Giroux) from the top 9 in dzone starts against teams top lines.

He can come right back with Cat Stutzle + Bath. I’m sure DJ is cringing at the idea of playing Jarvy with this teams current young scoring options.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Glad to see him making use of that big body of his...Seems like a bit of a project that could be a player down the line for us

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It will be interesting to see if Pinto can handle the 3C role. Being in that role means you have to bring a lot of different aspects to your game.
I think he will but I agree it will be interesting to see him do it!

Reactions: HSF

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What we needed to see in this WJC from Jarventie is that he could assert himself more and be more involved in the play instead of being passive (ala Sanford) and waiting for things to come to him. From what I have seen, he did that IMO.

He'll never be a Connor Brown type but his bread and butter has to be creating scoring chances. That's also what he did here, and very well

Reactions: Cosmix and Hutz

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What we needed to see in this WJC from Jarventie is that he could assert himself more and be more involved in the play instead of being passive (ala Sanford) and waiting for things to come to him. From what I have seen, he did that IMO.

He'll never be a Connor Brown type but his bread and butter has to be creating scoring chances. That's also what he did here, and very well
Until the big final game. He just has to keep working on that consistency and like you say asserting himself more. Almost night and day from the last wjc

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For me he doesn't seems lazy, ok he is not Grieg who is 110% all the time but he made forecheck effort on all occasions he had, he has played good defense. He wasn't responsable for any TO against from what i saw.
He should see more TOI but he probably won't, and i don't know why but reading Finland topic, the coach is special.
"the coach is special"?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can see him being a bit of a specialty weapon on the PP for some team, like more recent Mike Hoffman, or a top scorer in Europe.

I think he'd have to improve a lot of the other facets of his game to be a regular top-six guy on a contending team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see the compete level from Jarventie I was hoping for, he has all the physical hockey tools to be a good player, he just seems too timid for my liking. Unless they lose DeBrincat or Formenton I don't see where in the top 9 he would fit. Joseph plays with a lot more compete as well & I would keep him ahead of Jarventie & Greig has a much better motor & plays with a lot more edge. Most likely he will be part of a trade package to upgrade somewhere would be my guess.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

1. The pause screen bears a passing resemblance to an American dollar bill and I like that.

2. All these goals start from that Mike Hoffman/Dany Heatley-patented clapper area, and three of them could easily pass for Heatey/Hoffman clips. Not saying he's gonna be an all-star or anything, but I think we've got a good player in Roby.

Reactions: armani

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I can see him being a bit of a specialty weapon on the PP for some team, like more recent Mike Hoffman, or a top scorer in Europe.

I think he'd have to improve a lot of the other facets of his game to be a regular top-six guy on a contending team.
I agree he has a long way to go. The tool box theory seems to apply here until he develops more of a motor. He has the size, skill, offensive hockey sense, skating (good stride just needs to get quicker) and shot. However until his pace picks up it will prevent him from being an NHL player. I think he is top 6 or bust. Both the sens and fans need to be patient with him. I think he is probably 2 years away.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree he has a long way to go. The tool box theory seems to apply here until he develops more of a motor. He has the size, skill, offensive hockey sense, skating (good stride just needs to get quicker) and shot. However until his pace picks up it will prevent him from being an NHL player. I think he is top 6 or bust. Both the sens and fans need to be patient with him. I think he is probably 2 years away.
He was also a junior aged kid that played in the AHL last year. The AHL isn't a soft, big ice Euro league where everyone is out for a Sunday skate. It is tough physical hockey. And he was a teenager. Weaker than likely every player he had to battle against. I agree it will take some time. He's a big body and you're one of the guys that points out bigger bodies take longer. He needs to be a lot stronger to play in the NHL but I can see him with the big frame dominating the cycle game and making the in tight plays that lead to getting that big shot off

Reactions: armani and bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie's bread and butter will always be what he does once he is in the offensive zone, and mainly on the PP. Hopefully he can hold his own defensively at the next level but he reminds me more and more of Patrik Laine. He 99.9% won't be on the same level but probably the same kind of player. If he can be 60% of Laine, still a pretty good offensive player. They're not "play drivers" so don't expect that but as far as passing and shooting the puck with the intention of scoring goals, they're pretty dangerous

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Jarventie has an underrated passing game and can really get physically involved (board play possession and laying the body).

He might appear one-dimensional, but that's because that dimension of his game is already quite elite. If we be patient, we could have a real player on our hands.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Jarventie has an underrated passing game and can really get physically involved (board play possession and laying the body).

He might appear one-dimensional, but that's because that dimension of his game is already quite elite. If we be patient, we could have a real player on our hands.
Haven’t really seen the physical element, and he acknowledged it last week on a podcast, and one of things he said Mann would like him to work on.
He is young and has good skills, so hopeful on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad