Post-Game Talk: #31: FLYERS at Avalanche, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Their passing makes them play a lot faster than they even are. We have Jake and JVR missing wide open guys regularly and they are bank passing to Mac on the rush from the Dzone. It’s night and day. That’s been an issue for some time though. I think they need to add one higher end guy still that’s young. Seems impossible, maybe maybe Patrick can still be that guy. Still have hope for a few of the young guys like Brink and JOB, but it’s unlikely they will be top line guys.

As far as tonight. The AVS may be the best team in the league AND are rolling. They are down their top two dmen so we should have had a better shot, but still. This game was not a “throw the tape away and move on”. They really need to look at this game and see what it’s going to take. And by they I mean Fletcher. Big offseason for him.
That’s a bit of an overreaction. This team really just needs a goal scoring winger. They don’t grow on trees but of all things to need for a championship quality roster (#1 defenseman, #1 center, good goaltender, quality depth at center and defense)that is the easiest to come by.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg is the 7th D-man, what do you expect from any 7th D-man on practically any team?
As far as him in the offensive crease, that's obviously by design, Stewart and Hagg were the only Flyers in the blue paint setting screens all night - that's a big need for this team, a young version of Simmonds.

Ghost did not play well, he was road kill in the D-zone, got pushed off the puck multiple times. Niskanen didn't have a great night either.

Frost showed why he was in the AHL, he can't use his speed yet to best advantage, against a fast team he didn't look fast. A couple years from being an impact player

Kase showed speed and hustle.
Stewart actually was pretty decent, and Vorobyev didn't look out of place.

Giroux and Voracek are past their peaks, Giroux at least can contribute as long as he's paired with a good center, Voracek is a meh forward, he'll get his points but doesn't bring anything special to the table, has lost a stride or two, still doesn't have a plus shot and doesn't play a physical game. Similar to JVR, better passer and skater, worse goal scorer.

Couts and Provorov and Hart are the core of this team and will be going forward. Those are the guys you build around the next few years.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bad first period, as usual. Were lucky the Avs only scored 1 goal in that period. Then we dominated the 2nd period, but couldn't score. When Colorado scored their 3rd goal in the 3rd period, the game was pretty much over.

Wasn't a bad game, but we wasted a great performance from Hart.

Good to know we at least showed up.

Hard to win without 2 leading goal scorers at the end of the day.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For the most part, especially considering the circumstances, the Flyers played well.

Playing a better team on a hot steak, in Denver, without 4 key players, including their top 2 goal scorers, & they still outshot the Avs 33-27 & outchanced them 23-22.

It’s just that Colorado capitalized on chances & the Flyers didn’t.

The Flyers aren’t a great offensive team as it is, so missing TK & Lindblom didn’t help in that area.

Farabee & Frost are still 19 & 20 year old rookies in their first pro seasons. They aren’t supplying much offense now despite getting substantial offensive usage, but that shouldn’t be surprising. Too many people expected them to step in & be top-6 level producers immediately & that rarely happens. It’s only December.

JVR continues to be a black hole. It was near the New Year last year when he got going so for the team’s sake I hope he can do it again this year.

I’ve seen a lot of posts mentioning Stewart as if he had anything to do with the loss. Well, the 4th line was a bright spot. Dominated their matchup, did a 4th line’s job of spending a ton of time in the opponent’s zone, had a few good chances... it was one of their best 4th line performances of the year. Stewart easily his best game. Was fine for his 8 minutes.

Anyway, a couple multiple-player defensive breakdowns by the Flyers that the Avs cashed in on, & the Flyers’ failure to cash in on their own chances was the difference. But overall a good effort.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That’s a bit of an overreaction. This team really just needs a goal scoring winger. They don’t grow on trees but of all things to need for a championship quality roster (#1 defenseman, #1 center, good goaltender, quality depth at center and defense)that is the easiest to come by.

If only there were a former Hart trophy winger available...

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Seems odd that we're not calling out Hagg for his gross mistakes(note: I'm not saying the loss is on him, but two of those goals were), but if it was Ghost we'd have a novella on how hes overrated and cant play defense.

I hate when an agenda gets in the way of being honest.
Ghost was called out. Hagg was given a pass as he’s a number 7. What do you expect.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Seems odd that we're not calling out Hagg for his gross mistakes(note: I'm not saying the loss is on him, but two of those goals were), but if it was Ghost we'd have a novella on how hes overrated and cant play defense.

I hate when an agenda gets in the way of being honest.
Huh?There are multiple call outs of Hagg on this page alone. Do you think Ghost played well last night? I don't and certain posters create novellas daily no matter what happens. Sounds like the agenda pot calling the agenda kettle black.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Huh?There are multiple call outs of Hagg on this page alone. Do you think Ghost played well last night? I don't and certain posters create novellas daily no matter what happens. Sounds like the agenda pot calling the agenda kettle black.

I was referring to a particular set of posters who cant seem to call out certain players when they play poor, and instead chalk it up to "multiple player miscues". I'm aware of the callouts of the people who can watch the game without blinders.

I think Ghost played well last night, yes. Certainly not exceptional but he made several great defensive plays that likely kept scoring down. Youd like to see him get on the board, but it's not as though anyone was finishing chances last night, so it's not surprising he didnt.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I hate when people consistently ignore that I’ve said Hagg “stinks” & is a 7th D 100 times in order to push a false narrative that I think he’s a good player.

I smirk at people calling out others for alleged agendas when they jump to blame Hagg for not covering a scorer who wasn’t his man, but Hayes’.

I laugh at how they say others have agendas for not pointing out every single mistake that they think their own whipping boys have made, while they themselves consistently ignore making critical comments about their favorites — such as Ghost getting dominated like he was playing on 45 degree slanted ice last night (which I heretofore ignored commenting on).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I absolutely HATED the way AV handled the matchups. He lost this game badly by playing certain players at certain times. Stewart should not be playing against a speed team. AT ALL. WTF kind of decision is that.

To be fair, AV played the 12 healthy forwards and 6 healthy dmen he had available.

Stewart shouldn't be on the roster to start with.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
We missed at least 3 tap in goals again , becoming the norm.

G, Farabee, Stewie all had chances at gimmees and Jake blew a wide open net on the PP. Avs have the ability to bury their chances, we do not.

It's frustrating to see this team struggle to score goals sometimes... but they are 12-3-4 since Nov 1. Actually, 12-4-4 after last night.

Let's hope for a second half where we can bury our chances just a bit more consistently and a functional power play.

Also, getting Patrick as a 4C would be a HUGE boost. JVR/Patrick/Raffl might actually be able to get something going.

I'm just annoyed that even going 12-3-4 over the last 19, we still have no breathing room. Why won't the Pens die?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
10 things: Flyers can't overcome lack of depth vs. Avs;...

The underwhelming version of Hägg returned, and it showed on the scoresheet; he was on the ice for two Avalanche goals. In both cases, he deserved some blame. On Calvert’s goal, Hägg was late in challenging him after the initial shot by Nichushkin rang off the post. On Rantanen’s first goal, Hägg chose to back into his own zone rather than directly challenge J.T. Compher, which allowed the Avs winger to simply wait for Landeskog and Rantanen to catch up to him on the rush, hitting the Flyers’ zone with speed and control of the puck. And those weren’t Hägg’s only mistakes — just his most memorable. He had a rough night.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
bXitPpm.jpg

giphy.gif

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
If only there were a former Hart trophy winger available...
if patrick kane is available would you go after him? he's only 6 million cap hit better than getting a 10 million or more taylor hall.

i know he's 31 he's got 6 or 7 years of good hockey left in him, it's enough to get this team over the hump.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Sounds like this game went as expected. I went to bed early, confident I made the right choice and I'm feeling good today. Hopefully we can get some of the cripples back for the next game and turn things around.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

hubnester

Nov 8, 2019
Voracek killed a lot of chances, he was clearly the weak link on that line. How many times can you ruin a chance by shooting way wide before you work on fixing it?

Can't get TK back soon enough, would really like to see that Giroux-Couturier-TK line back together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad