Post-Game Talk: #31: FLYERS at Avalanche, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I was too busy to watch. Which gifs are most appropriate?

giphy.gif

source.gif

tenor.gif

coconut-octopus.gif

I maintain that Octopii are the most frightening animals in existence.

Reactions: BernieParent

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
@FlyerNutter you say the AVs are what the Flyers could be. But really the Flyers would have had to deconstructed their roster from 2012-2014 and then either bottom out or barely made the playoffs until 2025 to have a comparable run to what the Avs have been on.

This comes across as you feeling that no team can succeed unless they dont try to build a competitive core until they have a true elite talent.

Also to whoever said it earlier, no Nathan MacKinnon is not a generational talent. An great one yes, elite yes, generational no. There are at least handful of players in the league of his caliber.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
@FlyerNutter you say the AVs are what the Flyers could be. But really the Flyers would have had to deconstructed their roster from 2012-2014 and then either bottom out or barely made the playoffs until 2025 to have a comparable run to what the Avs have been on.

This comes across as you feeling that no team can succeed unless they dont try to build a competitive core until they have a true elite talent.

Also to whoever said it earlier, no Nathan MacKinnon is not a generational talent. An great one yes, elite yes, generational no. There are at least handful of players in the league of his caliber.

Your right. It was me calling MacKinnon generational talent. I went overboard. I do however think he has the best “ hockey body” in the league. No homo. And he’s 24. I do however stick with my original statement of the Flyers not having a player of his caliber since Lindros.

Reactions: Starat327

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The chances were there to win this game. But it was clear we weren't going to win when we outshot them 10-0 or whatever it was in the first half of the 2nd period and still didn't score.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Of course.

Let’s get dark as ****. Their improvement will align with a decline in the current core. That’s the huge fear. Let’s also not pretend though that in the Flyers retool they found enough true top tier talent to extend this window. I don’t buy it.

God how I want to be wrong. I need to tap out tonight. Take it easy boys. It’s the Avs. It’s what the Flyers could/should have been.
I have been the biggest tank for talent proponent since before Hextall even took over but even I don’t think that is going to be necessary anymore. St Louis won the cup with a roster without a true superstar, at least the ones you get at the top of the draft.

This team will have to win cups much like New Jersey of old won cups: great defense and goaltending with a deep group of two way forwards. If anything this season gives me more hope that all those pieces are already here. It’s one game.

Reactions: tucson83

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People talking about a full rebuild....sometimes, it's just about luck.

Imagine our team with Pettersson added to it. All the sudden we would have that high end skilled kid to take over the reigns in the future....no offense to
Patrick.

Or replace Braun with Makar. Boy wouldn't this be a nice defense:

Provy Nisky
Sanheim Makar
Ghost Myers

Point is, we are not getting the upside of our #2 pick at all right now. To "tank" never guarantees anything as our #2 pick shows. I do expect us to make a trade at some point consolidating some assets into one. We just have to hope Fletch makes a good deal.

But until then, we are still higher in the standings than I expected we would be at this point in the season. I expected us to have a better 2nd half than first. Hope that happens. After all, we are where we are, and only TK, Lindblom, Provy and Nisky are having good years stats wise. Everyone else has more to give production wise. And that is encouraging.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Stopped watching after the second goal against. Here are my thoughts:

Couts, G, Hart were very good for the Flyers.

Vorobyev looked much better tonight than he has all season. I thought he was very effective tonight as well. Maybe that has something to do with playing with Kase, because Kase had a strong performance tonight (at least the game I saw). Kase was strong on the boards, and kept his feet chugging all game. I've had a bit of a man crush on Kase since last year, but it's nice to see him get a chance and play well.

I'm not too upset with the final outcome here. We're missing two top six forwards (TK, Lindblom), one of the better 4th line players in the league (Raffl), and a top 4 defensemen (Myers). At times, the Flyers still competed with one of the best skating teams in the league.

I'm not throwing this season away right now, but I'm very excited what this team can do next season when Frost and Farabee have a year of NHL experience.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

Imagine our team with Pettersson added to it. All the sudden we would have that high end skilled kid to take over the reigns in the future....no offense to
Patrick.

Provy Nisky
Sanheim Makar
Ghost Myers

Point is, we are not getting the upside of our #2 pick at all right now. To "tank" never guarantees anything as our #2 pick shows. I do expect us to make a trade at some point consolidating some assets into one. We just have to hope Fletch makes a good deal.

But until then, we are still higher in the standings than I expected we would be at this point in the season. I expected us to have a better 2nd half than first. Hope that happens. After all, we are where we are, and only TK, Lindblom, Provy and Nisky are having good years stats wise. Everyone else has more to give production wise. And that is encouraging.

i agree, i mean if you look the oilers when they got neal and flames with lucic, they are big difference makers, if the flyers can somehow add those type of players on this team, i think we will dominate.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is funny to me. A lot of us Avs fans have been saying this was one of the most bogged down and slow games we've seen.

Is that a common theme for the Flyers? I haven't watched many Philly games. Guess I'm just used to a very fast transition filled game from watching the Avs.

This is ... sad. I don't think it's wrong, either. Blech.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Stopped watching after the second goal against. Here are my thoughts:

Couts, G, Hart were very good for the Flyers.

Vorobyev looked much better tonight than he has all season. I thought he was very effective tonight as well. Maybe that has something to do with playing with Kase, because Kase had a strong performance tonight (at least the game I saw). Kase was strong on the boards, and kept his feet chugging all game. I've had a bit of a man crush on Kase since last year, but it's nice to see him get a chance and play well.

I'm not too upset with the final outcome here. We're missing two top six forwards (TK, Lindblom), one of the better 4th line players in the league (Raffl), and a top 4 defensemen (Myers). At times, the Flyers still competed with one of the best skating teams in the league.

I'm not throwing this season away right now, but I'm very excited what this team can do next season when Frost and Farabee have a year of NHL experience.
Kase had a number of very good plays towards the end of the game too in all three zones. Seemed consistent to me throughout. I was very happy with the way he played.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hagg was the worst player on the ice for either team, by miles and miles and miles.

And Stewart was still a massive negative, even if he got carried and his stats don't reflect his individual play.
Funny...I watched the game in snippets and saw two goals where Hagg was on the ice..

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
This is funny to me. A lot of us Avs fans have been saying this was one of the most bogged down and slow games we've seen.

Is that a common theme for the Flyers? I haven't watched many Philly games. Guess I'm just used to a very fast transition filled game from watching the Avs.
So.....we lost 3-1 instead of 6-1. Maybe that will be good for the Flyers in the playoffs (should they make it) when the refs keep the whistles in their pockets, especially after the first round.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Patrick.

Provy Nisky
Sanheim Makar
Ghost Myers

Luck plays a huge part of very draft. The Flyers lucked out that Jersey took Zacha instead of Provorov and a ton of teams were scared off by Konecny injuries. So sadly luck hurt the Flyers in the Patrick draft. Imagine if they won the 3rd overall pick instead of the 2nd.

The tank train has sailed anyway. Hextall had the perfect opportunity to do it but this team is going to push to remain competitive no matter what going forward. So the question is how to build a cup team from what’s here and from where they will be drafting.

Reactions: VladDrag

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hayes line poor, Hagg poor. If you want to see stats lying JVR was +0 and if not for hart he would have been -3. Niskanen 3rd goal coverage brutal. Team speed is so different in this game. Also notice how when colorado makes a pass it hot fast and tight while we try to make drop pass and hold our breath half the time.

Their passing makes them play a lot faster than they even are. We have Jake and JVR missing wide open guys regularly and they are bank passing to Mac on the rush from the Dzone. It’s night and day. That’s been an issue for some time though. I think they need to add one higher end guy still that’s young. Seems impossible, maybe maybe Patrick can still be that guy. Still have hope for a few of the young guys like Brink and JOB, but it’s unlikely they will be top line guys.

As far as tonight. The AVS may be the best team in the league AND are rolling. They are down their top two dmen so we should have had a better shot, but still. This game was not a “throw the tape away and move on”. They really need to look at this game and see what it’s going to take. And by they I mean Fletcher. Big offseason for him.

Rebels57

Sep 28, 2014
Missed entire game. Why did we lose?

Aside from no TK, Lindblom, Raffl, and Myers of course.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Francouz played well, and the Avs have Mackinnon and Rantanen is a good explanation. You can blame the regular scapegoats if youd like (and they played awful, dont get me wrong), but if this team buries its chances like The Avs players do, we win this game.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
That Av's team could do serious damage in the playoffs. Imagine if they add Hall or another impact player

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Bad first period, as usual. Were lucky the Avs only scored 1 goal in that period. Then we dominated the 2nd period, but couldn't score. When Colorado scored their 3rd goal in the 3rd period, the game was pretty much over.

Wasn't a bad game, but we wasted a great performance from Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad