Post-Game Talk: #31: FLYERS at Avalanche, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
this year bud. we have seen our on paper most optimal lineup for over a 10 game set.
We haven't had our best possible lineup this year. Not even close. Partly due to injury, partly due to coaching.

There's been tons of problems that have nothing to do with our rosters ability/potential.

And yet, even with that, they're still a top 10 team right now.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Holy dramatics Batman.

We just played the top team in the West (points wise, maybe in actuality) and besides a horrid end of the first stayed with them for the most part.

This isn’t the usual team we’ll see. Replace Hagg, Stewart, and Kase (who wasn’t bad) with Myers, Konecny, and Lindblom and they’re a completely different team and with all the young players they’re only going to get better.

I’m not even one to necessarily be excited about this team but DAMN, relax lol.

The sky isn’t falling.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was too busy to watch. Which gifs are most appropriate?

giphy.gif

source.gif

tenor.gif

coconut-octopus.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Too funny. Yes the kids are up. But do you not expect Frost, Farabee, etc... To get better?

Of course.

Let’s get dark as f***. Their improvement will align with a decline in the current core. That’s the huge fear. Let’s also not pretend though that in the Flyers retool they found enough true top tier talent to extend this window. I don’t buy it.

God how I want to be wrong. I need to tap out tonight. Take it easy boys. It’s the Avs. It’s what the Flyers could/should have been.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Holy dramatics Batman.

We just played the top team in the West (points wise, maybe in actuality) and besides a horrid end of the first stayed with them for the most part.

This isn’t the usual team we’ll see. Replace Hagg, Stewart, and Kase (who wasn’t bad) with Myers, Konecny, and Lindblom and they’re a completely different team and with all the young players they’re only going to get better.

The sky isn’t falling.
Haha I get ya. I get the rational process.

I respect all who hold that faith. I tend to just ride that roller coaster too easily. :laugh:

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Last thing, just to prove myself more wrong.

Imagine this team without Niskanen this year, and maybe (gasp) the next.

f***ing strength of the half ass retool my ass. Myers was out. I know.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I absolutely HATED the way AV handled the matchups. He lost this game badly by playing certain players at certain times. Stewart should not be playing against a speed team. AT ALL. WTF kind of decision is that. He literally stared as he watched mackinnon skate around him and because he stood pat, kase had to come all the way around to try to stop him.

Hagg...holy crap was he awful. One play the puck is going back to our end and he casually takes a look behind him (while casually skating because he is an idiot), see's calvert closing in and he DOES NOTHING. He literally waits for calvert to make contact with, falls, and loses the puck. Was also hilarious to watch mackinnon stop and turn so many times on braun lol. Poor braun, he could've broken his ankles so many times hahahaha

Team was flygin in the 2nd period and Hayes with a terrible stick position on rantanen. Idk why he goes on the outside instead of inside rantanen. I thought he had great defensive awareness. Even if he wasn't able to get a stick on him, you hook the 2nd best player on the Avs and live with a pk. That second goal was a back breaker.

I thought we played well outside the 1st and certain parts of the 3rd. Was not a fan of how AV played the lines though. If you are going to have your 4th line out there, WHY is hagg out there with them? I understand he wanted to free up couts against Mack but man. I saw numerous shifts where stewart or hagg was out there against mackinnon or rantanen. Still liked our compete. Losing lindblom, myers, raffl, AND tk is huge for our team. All 4 of those guys are playing amazing hockey right now.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Holy dramatics Batman.

The sky isn’t falling.

If healthy Colorado is still better than us. And if they add Hall man that team is really scary good. Saying that we have made big improvements this year. And Lindblom, Myers, Frost, Farabee, Hart will all get better.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Poor Ghosts most common teammates tonight were Hagg and JVR.

He was really good individually though.

jvr was useless tonight too. We had them hemmed in their zone with ghost making a nice play down deep. He gives it to voracek behind the net who gives it to jvr ..from a bad he just shoots it with no traffic in front and he should've known that ghost was in deep. Dumb shot that resulted in thee 2 on 1 and an insane save by Hart. Just stupid hockey iq from JVR lol.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Really enjoyed that game, lots of flow, speed, bit of a video game shootout, and a little chippiness without anybody taking a run.

This is funny to me. A lot of us Avs fans have been saying this was one of the most bogged down and slow games we've seen.

Is that a common theme for the Flyers? I haven't watched many Philly games. Guess I'm just used to a very fast transition filled game from watching the Avs.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This is funny to me. A lot of us Avs fans have been saying this was one of the most bogged down and slow games we've seen.

Is that a common theme for the Flyers? I haven't watched many Philly games. Guess I'm just used to a very fast transition filled game from watching the Avs.

Flyers have been trying to slow the game down for years.

It’s been a wildly exciting decade. Haven’t been a fast team, nor a physically punishing club. Not really a strong defensive team either. Essentially... a team. I love how Sakic threw Roy on his ass and also actually made moves to gather more high end talent, not just sit patiently waiting for his turn at the draft table going 12th.

Last edited:

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Lmao some of the reactions. Our chances of winning that game was slim. Both teams had injuries, but take a teams top 2 goals scorers away, and it makes for a very difficult night.
Take Draisaitl and McDavid away from Edmonton.
Take Marchand and Pasta away from Boston.
Take Tavares and Matthew from Toronto.

Now of those teams, how many become much more beatable with those guys missing? We were already up against a Goliath tonight, and handled ourselves quite well.
That’s also to mention we had a rookie playing his first nhl game, Stewart whos not an nhl regular and has played in 9 games this season. Oh and we were playing the best team in the West.

Lost 3-1... could have been much different if a couple bounces went out way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad