Post-Game Talk: 3 Down, 1 To Go

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
LOL Bobrovsky sliding into the corner has to be a meme.

Gif it!

Still need a gif of Bobrovsky sliding into the boards after the Hyman goal.

bob-slide-1.gif

bob-slide-2.gif

bob-slide-3.gif

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yes. I really wonder wtf hockey analysts actually do. It’s like they just use surface stats and make a call that can be backed by stats. None of them seem to be able to read game stories outside of stats. Watching games 1-3 and it should have been obvious this wasn’t a 3-0 sweep type series.

Not to toot my own horn too hard or anything, but I also feel like I had a better take prior to game 4 than any of the so called analysts did...

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Kinda funny seeing fans around the league for the most part supporting us now.

Although I have to say, Habs fans in particular have been nice for several rounds. Special shoutout to them, let’s do this for Canada
For whatever reason I feel that these two fanbases don't have much animosity for each other. I cheered for them even as a kiddo in 1993 even, and when they have gone on deep runs I have hoped they could pull it off.

One of my good friends is a Habs fan and he was pretty quickly on board as well. Only time we're ever explicitly not supportive of each team is when we are playing (except when he wants us to thump them for a better draft pick haha)

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
For whatever reason I feel that these two fanbases don't have much animosity for each other. I cheered for them even as a kiddo in 1993 even, and when they have gone on deep runs I have hoped they could pull it off.

One of my good friends is a Habs fan and he was pretty quickly on board as well. Only time we're ever explicitly not supportive of each team is when we are playing (except when he wants us to thump them for a better draft pick haha)
I was hoping Price would win a cup, have always liked that guy and I used to live in his home town for a year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Watching the ESPN feed of the game. The intro was pretty epic, lots of glamor shots of our City, Messier narrating as the hometown boy, and Fleetwood Max’s The Chain as the sound track.

Hope this intro has made its way online for everyone to watch.
That sounds like its worthy of a post with a link to me. :nod:

Reactions: McDoused and Ibanez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The best part about this is there is zero pressure on the Oilers. It’s almost all on the Panthers.
Not sure I agree with this now. It's Game 7 now, the Cup is right there for the taking for both teams, pressure is 50/50 regardless of how we got there.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be proud of the team if they lose (which they won't btw) but this loss might hit harder than any for me at least because they came so far and I want this so bad for the boys. I'm sure they feel the same way so I do believe the pressure is as high as it can get for both teams.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Not sure I agree with this now. It's Game 7 now, the Cup is right there for the taking for both teams, pressure is 50/50 regardless of how we got there.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be proud of the team if they lose (which they won't btw) but this loss might hit harder than any for me at least because they came so far and I want this so bad for the boys. I'm sure they feel the same way so I do believe the pressure is as high as it can get for both teams.
Yeah I think there is a difference Monday. Up to this point the games they were playing in they had nothing to lose and were playing with house money. Now they play a game with everything to win.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I agree and I don’t. If Florida loses they will be on the wrong side of arguably the biggest collapse in sports history. They will talk about it for decades.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree and I don’t. If Florida loses they will be on the wrong side of arguably the biggest collapse in sports history. They will talk about it for decades.
True but, conversely, the Oilers will just be merely a footnote in history if they lose as opposed to perhaps being the best story in sports history if they pull it off, a massive gulf in how they are looked upon in hockey history between a win and loss for both teams. The Oilers will be known as the team that ALMOST pulled off the miracle but couldn't complete the job. I think this is the time, right now, get it done, complete the story and lets walk together for eternity as champs.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Nah, Oilers are still gonna feel like the underdog. They’re on the road and it’s still hard to win 4 straight.

Oilers lose, it’s a valiant try and great effort.

Panthers lose, it’s the greatest collapse in NHL history.

Oilers have some pressure but nothing compared to the stress the Panthers are feeling.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Wipe the slate clean for Game 7. It's now a one game series.

Florida has home ice advantage and all the trappings that come with that. This also the first time the Panthers have faced elimination these playoffs. And, as Ray Ferraro said last game, they know they may about to become an answer to a trivia question, which is the pressure no player likes.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
I thought I was the peoples champ :(

That wouldn't make any sense. Edmonton has always been one of the most inclusive teams in the history of the sport.

People just want to see BS. I live in Sherwood Park and Belvedere growing up 20 years ago and most of my friends were Asians

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wipe the slate clean for Game 7. It's now a one game series.

Florida has home ice advantage and all the trappings that come with that. This also the first time the Panthers have faced elimination these playoffs. And, as Ray Ferraro said last game, they know they may about to become an answer to a trivia question, which is the pressure no player likes.
I agree with this except the past 3 games do matter. I say that because the Panthers are now dealing with an element of doubt which it seems to me has already affected their game.

Its clear to them by now that their over agressive forecheck and overloading the wall to block outlets and create turnovers (which has been the foundation of their success until 3 games ago) is getting burned over and over again.
They have some hesitation in their game now and thats because they are doing something they havent done at all until the Oilers came along....they are now questioning their system.
Its almost impossible to play on your toes when that creeps in.

That is going to be very tough for them to overcome.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nah, Oilers are still gonna feel like the underdog. They’re on the road and it’s still hard to win 4 straight.

Oilers lose, it’s a valiant try and great effort.

Panthers lose, it’s the greatest collapse in NHL history.

Oilers have some pressure but nothing compared to the stress the Panthers are feeling.
Can't agree with this at all, it's not like the Oilers are some cinderella team that's lucky to be here. The Oilers are the better team, they should feel all the pressure in the world to finish the job because you just don't know if this opportunity will ever present itself again. I get what you're saying about what Florida is up against but this is a winner take all for the Stanley Cup, pressure is massive for both sides to win this game.

Besides, you can't tell me it's just "some" pressure. I'm sweating bullets already and the game is still two days away, but I was also out all day and it's pretty freaking hot here so that might have something to do with it haha

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

The Oilers have been playing with “pressure” since November though
This team was left for DEAD and people were already crowing about McDrai leaving
They were under tremendous pressure against the Nucks facing a humiliating loss to a rival team they couldnt beat all year with a 3rd stringer
Then again against Stars where they rose to the occasion
What pressure have the Panthers faced? This is their first bit of adversity all season and so far they’ve failed miserably

Yes, thought of an embarrassing choke will bring out their best game on Monday but the Oilers are comfortable in this position
I expect them to have the game of their lives Monday night

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
If I was a Panthers fan I'd be upset about their coaching.

Florida is stuck in this dead zone between wanting to forecheck and being scared of the stretch. Dallas did it to us, and we adjusted, but the Panthers have not, and it's allowed the Oilers to get better, we are really moving the puck quick now.

After game 4, Maurice pointed out how risky it is to stretch, basically implied it was unsustainable, and the Panthers are good at defending it, but that belief has allowed the Oilers to snowball.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Thought the refs established that getting hooked in the hands, shouldn’t cause a players feet to completely give out when they called Tkachuk for diving in Game 5.

Guess not, as they allowed Barkov to do the same dive in Game 6. But it seems that it would be take atleast 3 dives before one finally gets called, guess Tkachuk earned his but Barkov not yet.

Reactions: TB12 and Biltmore

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kulak continues to be playoff BEAST. That Rush he had in game 5 to create a 2 on 1 out of the nothing was the best I’ve seen him use his elite skating. Looked like a speed skater out there just pumping up the ice.

In game 6 he comes up with a clutch stick check to prevent an empty net rebound goal off Lombergs stick.

Broberg is obviously the future of our left side, but man will it be tough if we ever have to move on from Kulak for cap reasons. This is a player you keep for any Cup Runs. He brings his best when the games at at their most important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad