Post-Game Talk: 3 Down, 1 To Go

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If I was a Panthers fan I'd be upset about their coaching.

Florida is stuck in this dead zone between wanting to forecheck and being scared of the stretch. Dallas did it to us, and we adjusted, but the Panthers have not, and it's allowed the Oilers to get better, we are really moving the puck quick now.

After game 4, Maurice pointed out how risky it is to stretch, basically implied it was unsustainable, and the Panthers are good at defending it, but that belief has allowed the Oilers to snowball.
We adjusted because we had a fast defenseman to insert into the lineup. Not sure the Panthers have that.

Our whole identity also isn’t predicated on a heavy forecheck. We can play fast and we can play slow. Florida only has one gear and if you force them out of it they are much less effective.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can't agree with this at all, it's not like the Oilers are some cinderella team that's lucky to be here. The Oilers are the better team, they should feel all the pressure in the world to finish the job because you just don't know if this opportunity will ever present itself again. I get what you're saying about what Florida is up against but this is a winner take all for the Stanley Cup, pressure is massive for both sides to win this game.

Besides, you can't tell me it's just "some" pressure. I'm sweating bullets already and the game is still two days away, but I was also out all day and it's pretty freaking hot here so that might have something to do with it haha
If the Oilers have all the pressure in the world, the Panthers have all the pressure in the universe. You can’t compare it. The Oilers to a degree are still playing with house money right now. No one expected them to be here at certain points in the season and no one expected them to be here certainly after Game 3. Meanwhile the Panthers have the weight of everything negative bearing down on them. You could see it in Game 6. They were stressed AF.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The first goal becomes huge on Monday. If Panthers score first, then they bring out the heavy forecheck game and clog the neutral zone. This is their strong game and ticket to win.
If Oilers score first, the Panthers will be “forced” into a run and gun game in order to keep the score close. Not their strength.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
We adjusted because we had a fast defenseman to insert into the lineup. Not sure the Panthers have that.

Our whole identity also isn’t predicated on a heavy forecheck. We can play fast and we can play slow. Florida only has one gear and if you force them out of it they are much less effective.

That's just another way of saying Florida can only play one way imo

Maurice did a great job getting buy-in to play this way consistently, but it's now killing them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Love Hymans post game comments with ESPN: “everybody just cares so much and no matter what, we were down 3-0, and they were still supporting us. It’s unbelievable to play here and it’s just special”

Hyman can’t believe the amount of BELIEF we have. They don’t have this in Toronto, and they never will.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For whatever reason I feel that these two fanbases don't have much animosity for each other. I cheered for them even as a kiddo in 1993 even, and when they have gone on deep runs I have hoped they could pull it off.

One of my good friends is a Habs fan and he was pretty quickly on board as well. Only time we're ever explicitly not supportive of each team is when we are playing (except when he wants us to thump them for a better draft pick haha)
I think that these two fanbases have a form of mutual respect, as they understand that hockey is part of their soul, of their being. No other fanbase has it to that extent.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kinda funny seeing fans around the league for the most part supporting us now.

Although I have to say, Habs fans in particular have been nice for several rounds. Special shoutout to them, let’s do this for Canada
Habs fans are all good in general. Usually have a good humor about hockey and doesn’t need to get too toxic or negative. Also have great energy and belief in their fanbase. Guess that’s what Cups does for a fanbase. Stark contrast to Nucks fans.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Kulak continues to be playoff BEAST. That Rush he had in game 5 to create a 2 on 1 out of the nothing was the best I’ve seen him use his elite skating. Looked like a speed skater out there just pumping up the ice.

In game 6 he comes up with a clutch stick check to prevent an empty net rebound goal off Lombergs stick.

Broberg is obviously the future of our left side, but man will it be tough if we ever have to move on from Kulak for cap reasons. This is a player you keep for any Cup Runs. He brings his best when the games at at their most important.
Kulak, at his current contract, is a steal. Moving him would be monumentally stupid. He’s playing more ES mins than Nurse and has been deployed as a second pair d man since March.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The first goal becomes huge on Monday. If Panthers score first, then they bring out the heavy forecheck game and clog the neutral zone. This is their strong game and ticket to win.
If Oilers score first, the Panthers will be “forced” into a run and gun game in order to keep the score close. Not their strength.
Florida doesn’t clog the neutral zone. They forecheck and use the strong side D man to support the forecheck. The oilers have started to use the wingers in the d zone to close the close and chip it into the middle for a zone break.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Nah, Oilers are still gonna feel like the underdog. They’re on the road and it’s still hard to win 4 straight.

Oilers lose, it’s a valiant try and great effort.

Panthers lose, it’s the greatest collapse in NHL history.

Oilers have some pressure but nothing compared to the stress the Panthers are feeling.
Strudwick said it perfectly. Panthers will be playing expecting something bad to happen and the oilers will be playing expecting something good. The mindset has shifted

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
3 ex leafs on the oilers, Brown, ceci, hyman
1 goalie in the background, Campbell.

This is unreal.

It'll be different this time around. The oilers have plans for all scenarios. Even if Florida scores, I expect a quick counter to tie it up within 5 minutes.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Not to toot my own horn too hard or anything, but I also feel like I had a better take prior to game 4 than any of the so called analysts did...

Props bud

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really hate this “goal-less” Drai narrative that I’ve heard mentioned a couple times now by Sports media. Tonight it was mentioned that his goal-less drought continues on TSN. Heard the 0 goals being emphasized too on SN and others as well.

Seems like an assist was always known to be just as valueable as a goal to me. I mean the official points counting of the NHL for over 100 years values it that way. It definitely was when Gretzky was getting his flowers. It was even as Crosby and Thornton racked them up. I think today’s overrating of goal scoring over assists happened with the advent of the Matthews era and the need to overrate him. Or maybe it was the analytics era which has its own argument.

But on the topic of this short sample, these SCFs and in regards to Drai. You won’t find a better assist then the one he laid out in Game 6. An assist that shows his true value as one of the all time great playoff beasts. Very few players in the world could have created that assist and it started in the neutral zone with a great read on the play, anticipating we would stuff an entry, then great hand eye and athleticism in reaching for that errant puck, and of course the delay and sauce pass speaks for itself. That’s more valueable than the goal Foegle scored in this instance and in a lot of instances with all time greats.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Agreed. We definitely didn’t play that badly to be down 3-0 in the series. I thought we should have had a 2-1 lead in the series or at least 1-2 as we vastly outplayed Florida in that first game as well as in game 3 to a lesser extent (We just managed to collapse for a few minutes in Game 3, with Florida capitalizing on nearly every scoring chance they had).

Anyone who has been watching this series from start to finish can see that we are the better team. Hopefully the better team raises the cup on Monday :nod:
The truth is that the only time the Panthers outplayed us was when our bench was short two players for almost a full game.

Having said that, anything can still happen and we'll see how or if the mindset is changed for both teams now that both teams have a chance to win it.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
If I was a Panthers fan I'd be upset about their coaching.

Florida is stuck in this dead zone between wanting to forecheck and being scared of the stretch. Dallas did it to us, and we adjusted, but the Panthers have not, and it's allowed the Oilers to get better, we are really moving the puck quick now.

After game 4, Maurice pointed out how risky it is to stretch, basically implied it was unsustainable, and the Panthers are good at defending it, but that belief has allowed the Oilers to snowball.
Agree but it's a pickle for Maurice. That aggressive forecheck is their entire game basically. It's what got them here and what his players know.

Knob's adjustment against Dallas was easier to make, because if Florida does the same their whole forecheck turns into an ineffective half measure. That wasn't really the case for the Oilers; they just needed their high F3 to be slightly more conservative.

This game will probably resemble game 5. Florida coming out gangbusters in front of their fans to prove they still got this. Hopefully Brownmark strikes again to turn the momentum!

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
First goal is everything. I just hope Florida doesn’t come out and overwhelm scoring 2 quick goals or something. That’s what I’ve feared the last 3 games and edm was able to score first i think. That and skinner suddenly deciding to have a brutal game. You’d hate to see edm get blown out like 6-1. Lol.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
If the Oilers have all the pressure in the world, the Panthers have all the pressure in the universe. You can’t compare it. The Oilers to a degree are still playing with house money right now. No one expected them to be here at certain points in the season and no one expected them to be here certainly after Game 3. Meanwhile the Panthers have the weight of everything negative bearing down on them. You could see it in Game 6. They were stressed AF.
Couldn't agree more, all the pressure is on Florida. Oilers just need to play like they need to extend this to a game 8!

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Great call. I'm with Maurice though. I wouldn't have had the balls to make that challenge. And I agree that it's one of those things in hockey that leaves a lot of questions after a decision gets made. Offside challenges aren't fun.

But props to the coaching staff, because that goal could've significantly changed the momentum in that game.
I think you risk it because the Oilers penalty kill is almost bullet proof. Plus a third shorty in the series would have been epic.

Reactions: Biltmore

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Hindsight is 20/20, so I'm happy with Henrique's perfect shot on the 2 on 1 to make it 2-0.
But looking at this, does anyone else think that maybe the better play was a pass :laugh::
henrique.shoot.or.pass.png

There's an overhead shot which makes him look even more open, but CBC didn't show it in the immediate replays. Maybe I can find it in the intermission.

Anyway, so happy right now. 1 more. We can do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad