GDT: 3/22/2014, Carolina Hurricanes at Winnipeg Jets: Thank You for Being a Friend Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If Ward gets traded to Winnipeg, justhereforthefights intends to get it recustomized. I think either of us could deal with Ward getting traded anywhere but there.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Canes-bench-March-22-2014-300x200.jpg

Canes post-game audio: Coach Muller, Cam Ward and Riley Nash.

To listen click here.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I will say this: Maurice isn't one to take the easy answers. In the post-game interviews, he was bombarded with questions about how Ward got lucky with a couple of the saves and Maurice pretty much told them "I coached a team with this guy in net. It's not luck. This is the real Ward, he's just had a rough season."

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I think it was more about the players simply being exhausted. From about the 10 minute mark onward in the 3rd period, they couldn't do anything but dump it out of the zone.

sure they were tired but they are easy to pin in by an aggressive fore check that kills the wingers and leads to a lot of turn overs or at least zone time and icings. Semin has a hard enough time accepting the wire along the boards, but Skinner can't deal with it at all.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
and.......it begins... wait till the little one comes...;)

so Ward was interviewed on TSN and was like a little kid who couldn't stop giggling.
who knows for sure but maybe they/he are considering Winnipeg as a destination. anyways, he sure was happy.

Oct 24 is the expected date.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Is there anything in this world sweeter than beating the Jets in Winnipeg? If there is, I don't think my feeble mind could handle it.

Man I hate those guys.

#feelsgoodman

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Is there anything in this world sweeter than beating the Jets in Winnipeg? If there is, I don't think my feeble mind could handle it.

Man I hate those guys.

#feelsgoodman

Yes, yes there is.

Beating Winnipeg in Winnipeg while they're being coached by Mo, thus helping destroy their playoff hopes and keeping that baboon Jokinen off the scoresheet while Ward looks like the Ward of old.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
So, um... why do we hate Winnipeg?

Cam. Holy moly. I missed that Cam. It would be amazing if that was a sign of things to come, but I don't know if it is.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I will say this: Maurice isn't one to take the easy answers. In the post-game interviews, he was bombarded with questions about how Ward got lucky with a couple of the saves and Maurice pretty much told them "I coached a team with this guy in net. It's not luck. This is the real Ward, he's just had a rough season."

loz try decade?

If I remember correctly 06-7 was tough and so was every season since?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So, um... why do we hate Winnipeg?

Cam. Holy moly. I missed that Cam. It would be amazing if that was a sign of things to come, but I don't know if it is.

The seriously awful way their fans acted in the leadup to and in the process of getting a team. On these boards, in media outlets... Vitriol directed at any and every southern hockey fanbase, some really nasty attitudes towards the fans in Atlanta and Phoenix that really left a very bad taste in my mouth (an opinion I know is shared by at least a few others around here), and just generally slimy behavior. I don't like to see people acting gleeful at the pain of others- being happy about getting a team is fine, but they went beyond that in an unpleasant way.

And god, it is nice to see Cam doing that again. If he can get the consistency there...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
loz try decade?

If I remember correctly 06-7 was tough and so was every season since?

06-07 was a combination of Ward being thrown into the fire well before he was ready and Lavi's defense-optional system. Worked well when teams were unprepared for it, but the following season, teams adjusted and Lavi didn't.

And Ward has been one of our best and most consistent players for almost a decade. Don't let a bad stretch of games erase all that he's done for the organization.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Not trying to speak for you, but do we both not think that Patrick Dwyer belongs on an NHL roster?

I do, yes. But at no more than as a 4th liner. I think he's an excellent 4th liner, and perfect for this team. But anything more, and he's overslotted. He's fast, plays pretty good defense, and is decent at killing penalties. But you don't want him in any sort of offensive role.

Honestly he could be an effective 3rd line center if he wasn't terrible at faceoffs.

It depends. Is this the Riley Nash that was a first round pick or is he having a Tlusty-like unsustainable year? He's shooting at 12%, which is slightly over his (limited) career average, but that's nearly Alex Semin territory. I do like him better on the wing too, but is he a 3rd liner on a playoff team? I think he tops out as a 15/15 guy, which isn't bad, but how often is he going to hit that? What kind of linemates will he need to do it? Would a full year with Jeff Skinner do it?

I still think a capable defensive guy like Mikael Backlund would do wonders for this team. That ship has probably sailed, but imagine:

Tlusty // Eric // Lindholm
Gerbe // Jordan // Semin
Skinner // Backlund // Nash
xxx // Malhotra // Dwyer

Next year is going to mean a lot to Nash. I think it's make or break for him.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
[mod]

:nod: I'll be even happier if Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, and Florida each win a(nother) Cup. Preferably one of those will be an all-Sunbelt SCF. That'd make me so happy I get goosebumps thinking about it.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
JMO, but the Thrashers were not given a fair shake. They basically had the team taken away from them in 2-3 months after "speculation they might move if things don't improve". It didn't help they had idiots running the team but still.

I'd much rather have the Thrashers back, I feel there could have been a nice little rivalry with them, there were signs of it at times.

Also, I saw the highlight of the Cam Ward save, holy moly that was vintage Cam Ward and that fact that it was on Bryan Little (who still kills us) was even sweeter.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Let's try to keep the vitriol to a minimum in here, OK guys? We're not supposed to be going off on other fanbases like this on these boards and some of it crossed the line. I really don't want to have to start handing out infractions over this.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think some of you take opinions of HF posters and random hack media types as way too much of a representation of a bigger group. Some of those views that were removed are so far from the truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad