Value of: 2nd Pairing RHD to Edmonton

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
As much as I would like to move Ceci, it's hard to overlook his PK contributions now that Vinny isn't a part of the equation. If he's shown the door, then you're going to be hoping Kemp is near ready for NHL minutes (not the worst bet), or have a similar (RHD with good size) defenceman to replace him his role.

Right now I think the easy solution for the Oil is to try Stecher with Nurse to start, with the idea to continue acclimatizing Broberg (and maybe Kulak) onto the right side. I'd rather investigate those 2/3 options before looking outside the organisation for an expensive trade.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Draisaitl had a broken rib and a broken finger, Kane a sports hernia, and McDavid a core injury. Please don't pretend that we had health just because unfortunately Demko was out.
Come on now, did any of them miss a game and in #97's case he broke playoff records and quite literally willed his team to the finals. Demko is a game changer and it stands to reason he would have had performed better than a rookie with 10 games played last season.

As for the thread for this reason I don't get all the love for the oilers off-season. They failed to improve their two weakest spots in D and in goal. While I get running back Skinner but not putting what cap they had on defense is a head scratcher.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
David Savard is a solid defensive defenseman that make few mistakes, hit, can clear the crease and will throw himself in front of every pucks

The knock on him is that he ain't going on the points sheet

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you have a player like ekholm available with a contract like Ekholms, you child get a return like ekholm got?
Lefty not worth nearly as much a rhd ekholm. All ya gotta do is look at the draft, free agency and trades this summer. RHD is the most valuable commodity in hockey. I actually think its surpassed the center position.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Nobody in the Habs organization would do it. Barron is young RHD finding his place in NHL. Bourgault is just AHLer and would become prospect no 20 in our pool. Why would you do that?
I have a sneaking suspicion Barron woont last with us. That said, they’re both AHLers at this moment in time.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lefty not worth nearly as much a rhd ekholm. All ya gotta do is look at the draft, free agency and trades this summer. RHD is the most valuable commodity in hockey. I actually think its surpassed the center position.
I dont pay nearly enough attention to that type of stuff so I'll lake your word for it

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This is really the answer. Oilers fans hate on ceci, but show me how you replace him at his contract.

As an oiler fan I’ll say he ain’t perfect, but at his price point good luck finding someone better
David Savard, next

Ekholm is a LHD

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I would love to land Rasmus Andersson if Calgary would deal with us.

Ceci + Savoie + 2026 1st for Andersson 50% retained?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I know. Thats my point. If he was a righty he would be worth even more. Great player.
Got it. They also don't need someone at that level though, honestly just a right side, slightly better version of Kulak that can be Nurse's babysitter

I would love to land Rasmus Andersson if Calgary would deal with us.

Ceci + Savoie + 2026 1st for Andersson 50% retained?
Does it not make more sense for Edmonton to get someone cheaper whose main responsibility is covering up for Nurse more on the 2nd pair? I feel like you're neutering Andersson's value by making him the second PMD

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Marino was just traded to Utah last month. He hasn’t even played a game for them. Why is he being brought up?

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Draisaitl had a broken rib and a broken finger, Kane a sports hernia, and McDavid a core injury. Please don't pretend that we had health just because unfortunately Demko was out.

The difference is the Canucks' physical play likely caused all those injuries or made them worse.

Brock Boeser's blood clot was a fluke occurrence, as was Thatcher Demko's injury. Also, (not an excuse b/c I feel that durability is a skill, but) Elias Pettersson & Filip Hronek were injured going into the playoffs; and Quinn Hughes was banged up in the Nashville series.

Should be an interesting season coming up as the Oilers made some decent pick-ups, and the Canucks got rid of some playoff no-shows & should be a bit healthier.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If he's not extending in Seattle the answer for me (player willing) is Adam Larsson.

Has enough time pasted for him to consider a return to Edmonton? Is it just not an option after his father passed here? I'd least do the due diligence on that one.

If Larsson was on board for a return that's a player I'd be willing to overpay on. We haven't been able to replace him since he left. Biggest need on the team right now is a top 4 shutdown RD.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghtti

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The difference is the Canucks' physical play likely caused all those injuries or made them worse.

Brock Boeser's blood clot was a fluke occurrence, as was Thatcher Demko's injury. Also, (not an excuse b/c I feel that durability is a skill, but) Elias Pettersson & Filip Hronek were injured going into the playoffs; and Quinn Hughes was banged up in the Nashville series.

Should be an interesting season coming up as the Oilers made some decent pick-ups, and the Canucks got rid of some playoff no-shows & should be a bit healthier.
Hopefully we meet again and all of the key players on both sides are healthy so that everyone can put away the "what if's".

Ad

Upcoming events

• Manchester United vs Fulham
    Manchester United vs Fulham
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,416.00
    Event closes - 3 days from now
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad