Value of: 2nd Pairing RHD to Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The crime was Chiarelli tying up so much cap space in the likes of Lucic that Nurse got bridged twice to the brink of UFA. At the time Nurse was a poor man’s 1st pairing and McDavids Bestie. Plus losing him for nothing to free agency would’ve been terrible asset management.
Holland left more of a mess to be cleaned up than Chiarelli ever did. The Nurse contract sucked at the time and sucks now, we just bought out Campbell for more dead cap, and Kane might end up having to go that route too.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holland left more of a mess to be cleaned up than Chiarelli ever did. The Nurse contract sucked at the time and sucks now, we just bought out Campbell for more dead cap, and Kane might end up having to go that route too.
At the time it was justifiable. Not easy to swallow, but justifiable based on comparable performance the year prior to others given similar contracts (Seth Jones, Zack Werenski), and losing Klefbom to injury at the same time. We had no top 4 LD if we lost Nurse or had to trade him.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves on Kane. We're half done that deal, and Kane's looking more and more like a LTIR candidate as time goes on, especially if his hip is as bad as rumours suggest it might be.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This probably becomes a deadline trade. I can see the Oilers trying Broberg at RD to start the season and if they feel a need to upgrade, Ceci will be dealt to another team and then more assets sent for a legit top 4 RD.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I think you’re being overly generous to Chiarelli, to be honest, though in fairness outside of the LUDICROUSLY horrible Lucic and Koskinen contracts, his cap management wasn’t the worst. But he did bleed so many assets and left so many holes to fill that it impacted Holland. He left bridging Nurse instead of a long term deal as the only available option. That led to pending UFA status and his extortion level contract was a near inevitability. Holland can rightly be blamed for the Campbell and Kassian contracts but should also get credit for keeping Nuge and Kane on what were excellent contacts at the time, plus the Hyman contract which has been a home run. He’s been a far better GM overall than Chiarelli. We’d have won a Cup by now if not for Peter Panic.

Last edited:

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think you’re being overly generous to Chiarelli, to be honest, though in fairness outside of the LUDICROUSLY horrible Lucic and Koskinen contracts, his cap management wasn’t the worst. But he did bleed so many assets and left so many holes to fill that it impacted Holland. He left bridging Nurse instead of a long term deal as the only available option. That led to pending UFA status and his extortion level contract was a near inevitability. Holland can rightly be blamed for the Campbell and Kassian contracts but should also get credit for keeping Nuge and Kane on what were excellent contacts at the time, plus the Hyman contract which has been a home run. He’s been a far better GM overall than Chiarelli. We’d have won a Cup by now if not for Peter Panic.

We need to admit that neither GM lived up to their expectations and prevented the Oilers from winning the cup. They both had their moments, but their bad moves and inactivity hurt a lot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How Chiarelli managed to turn Jordan Eberle into nothing is still a thing of wonder, and is one of the few series of moves since the Gretzky sale that really makes my blood boil to think about. Imagine turning a 30 goal, 60 point winger into a 3rd line C, and then dumping that 3rd line C for a guy who was clearly on his way out of the NHL at that time. It really grinds my gears.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
How Chiarelli managed to turn Jordan Eberle into nothing is still a thing of wonder, and is one of the few series of moves since the Gretzky sale that really makes my blood boil to think about. Imagine turning a 30 goal, 60 point winger into a 3rd line C, and then dumping that 3rd line C for a guy who was clearly on his way out of the NHL at that time. It really grinds my gears.

Chiarelli was always trying to be the smartest guy on the shortest bus. His trading for Manning of all useless players after what he'd done to injure McDavid should have been enough for fire him on the spot right then and there.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I don't have a problem with the Kassian contract; he took less to re-sign than the open market and was a top 6 player, albeit without the offensive profile the stat geeks think only seems to matter.

Also replacing a top 6 player wasn't in the budget during the cap crunch, we'd have to bring in an AHL kid earlier (none of which had a decent NHL career since) to replace him, and still not have enough cap to pay Nurse for a contract that takes up multiple free agent years at the time of the bridge deal and the two seasons following.

IMO the real fallacy is the assumption that Nurse and his agent would take something like $5M and include multiple free agency years. Wouldn't have been $9.25M but wouldn't have been cheap either

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think Blackhawks are ready to move any vets but Connor Murphy possibly near the end of the season could be had for either a 1st rder or maybe 2nd , 3rd .

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Hopefully we meet again and all of the key players on both sides are healthy so that everyone can put away the "what if's".
Supremely wishful thinking.

Genuine sportsmanship is a rarity on the mains. All about excuses.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
We got what a 3rd and a 5th.

If I look at the last draft thats the value of a mid to low 2nd rder... Thats what most Habs fans valued him at so...
A 3rd and a 5th is a 3rd and a 5th.

If he was worth a 2nd rounder, he would have fetched a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd and 5th.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I hope you enjoy your late first. Because it costs you a cup
Oilers didn’t even draft with their first. They used the 1st on a guy we played on our third line who outscored all but 2 Montreal forwards last year lol and we re-signed that Montreal first liner equivalent to play on our third line again.

It’s easy for Savard to look decent on a bottom feeder with zero pressure and expectations. Guys is 33 and hasn’t played in the playoffs in 4 years. If he was our deadline add playing 20+ a night in poffs like Ceci did, Oilers fans would have been tearing Savard to shreds for his slow boots and getting turnstiled by playoffs Canucks, Stars, Panthers forwards.

Oilers are good. They will let other teams waste assets picking off the junk pile that is the Montreal Canadiens. Savard would have had as much effect on the Oilers cup chances as guys like Chiarot, Edmundson, Monahan had for the teams that wasted assets trading for them.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad