Project time!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
At least with 100 goalies, discussions might come up around intriguing players not very often talked about. Like say an Irbe.

Who in the world would want lengthy discussions here about Luongo and Lundqvist? I get both these guys are retired and technically history, but come on now. We know all about these guys. There's zero mystique around any of these guys. It's like talking about Kylie Minogue.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I can throw up a preliminary discussion thread tomorrow with a poll on the list size so that we aren't just going back and forth in here. It'd probably be useful to get started on lists to gauge how deep we want to go anyway. I do think 60 is a better number due to interest tending to peter out at the end.

One other important thing: the deadline for list submissions. Start of September is too early, but is the start of October too far away? I was thinking mid to late September would give us a month and change, and I think that's fair. Objections?
I'm in agreement with this. The more I think about it, the more I think 60 is the way to go also.

I'll throw out a specific date for consideration too. What about September 20?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
A few comments/observations/questions I think would be valuable:

1. Sharing preliminary lists. A lot of knowledgeable people here - and some less so. Also - forgetting names is bound to happen. This will definitely be the longest list we've ever done - 80 goalies, or 100? In none of the other projects have 100 goalies ever come up for discussion.

I'll admit - when I participated in the top 100 project it was my first such experience, and I used pre-existing lists as a huge resource. I had 40 goalies, and 60 of each centers/wingers/defenseman to come up with 100 names total. This time - nothing but your own memory/knowledge to use.

So - I think it'll help the project a ton if people post all of their names on the list before we have to submit. This is a bad example - but we don't want...Tuuka Rask left off because half the voters simply forgot about him, and so he comes up for voting in round 20 vs round ~10. I mention this because I know sometimes people tend to be secretive about preliminary lists, which is why I bring it up.

When I post the preliminary thread, I'll have a section of useful links to help people get started, and to make the process less daunting for those who may not have as much experience in these projects, so this is covered. Plus, there'll be tons of names thrown out in casual discussion anyway.

2. 80 goalies/100 prelim list seems a popular number so far - I agree with it. How does that work for each voting round? In round 1 we'd have.....10 names eligible, and top 5 make it? More/less? Any threshold to use where you include 4 or 6 if it's too close, or is that simply to the admin's discretion?

It'll be 5 per round, with adjustments when necessary like you mentioned. Probably at our discretion, so we'll be strict about it.

3. I assume we're keeping the standard 1 week per voting round - discussion from mon to fri, and voting over weekend/results posted sunday? That generally works really well.

Yes, and if discussion is active, voting rounds may be lengthened. This was done a few times in the pre-merger project (and it allowed me to just barely get some of my writeups done in time...)

4. We should define who is eligible, and if there are any restrictions. NHL years count of course - but do you consider everything, even outside NHL? So does Hasek get credit for all of his pre-NHL success? Is there any reason in a goalie ranking to exclude certain leagues (junior, KHL, etc) or to only go back to a certain year of eligibility - or do we just consider everything?

If the dude was stopping pucks, we'll count it. Doesn't matter when or where it was, who he did it with, or what he ate for breakfast that morning. The key is in assessing how much a goalie's quality of play in each league counts for - e.g. Hasek's European career can't be weighted as heavily as his NHL career of course, but it must be weighted in some way.

5. Can we add a post-project ranking from each member? I think it would be a pretty cool extra step we've never done. So every voting member submits his updated top 80 goalie list at the end of the project, to show what they've learned/how they've changed their mind. That way as a finished product we'd have:

- Aggregate top ~100 goalie list off of preliminary lists
- Finished top 80 goalie list producted from project
- Agregate top ~100 goalie list from final post-project lists submited by voters

I like to keep a tally on how my own ranking evolves over the course of each project, and others are welcome to do the same. If people want to do something like this at the end of it then we can give it a try, but we definitely won't make it mandatory or anything.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
There is nothing conspiracy-driven in calling out people for redoing the same projects, which doesn't really move the needle much in the arena of discovery. There is nothing groundbreaking in using the same old metrics to move around slightly, already well established entities (players), while sprinkling in active or recently retired players who didn't qualify the last time positional lists were done. That's precisely what is going to unfold.
I think there is plenty to still uncover about the players. Is it as groundbreaking as coaches would be? Probably not. But then again, coaches is likely not as groundbreaking as the women's project would be- if covering new ground is your goal, the women's hockey project is likely the one with the most room for new knowledge.
The shining beacon of light in the pre-consolidation project was the volume of written evidence, not just about goals and assists, but what people actually thought of the players. How were they viewed by fellow players? Coaches, fans, refs, writers, etc. That was mandatory because trying to go numbers heavy in that era is a tough sell, namely due to the split leagues, wildly changing rules, and depth of talent from one league to the next.

And that's the rub. Numbers were still tallied and used but non numerical factors played a larger role in determining value.
I'm... aware of how the pre-consolidation project went. There is no reason we can't do that in the positional lists as well. Looking over the participants, it looks like many of the people are involved again here. Logically, we should expect the same level/style of discussion.

Will some people focus on stats? Sure. But that would likely happen in a coaches project as well, which you seem to glance over.

Are we going to be introducing anything new in the numbers department for these projects? Or will we basically be counting VsX (and other advanced studies), trophy shares, AS shares, with the occasional spat about something between the lines?
Why do we need new numbers? You seem to be hung up on the numbers, in much the same way you are accusing others of being. The gold is going to be in reading the contemporary thoughts and introducing the contemporary players into these discussions.

Will we be learning anything new about the players? Very little. That's not a bold statement.
Perhaps I am more optimistic than you are. I think there is plenty out there for us to talk about.

Beyond adding new faces (mainly active players), will there be anything at all that is actually fresh?
This strikes me as a loaded question, kind of like "besides what is new, what other new things are there?". I, for one, am interested in seeing how the new players stack up against the established names. I'm interested in seeing how we look at the established names with new information that will be brought to light.

And it isn't like the coaches would be new names either. The ATD section already has bios for a ton of coaches, and they are even already loosely ranked.

Players have already been analyzed to death. The vast majority of the folks we're talking about at this level are well documented.
Some of them have. Others haven't. Plus this isn't about just analyzing the players- it is about ranking them against one another. For example, Roy and Hasek has been discussed a ton on this board. Even against each other. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to getting into that debate again and trying to change hearts and minds.

Interest, to me, is borne out of the quest for knowledge and understanding. I'm personally more interested in learning about something in which I know less about, not more. Doing the same thing over and over is bleeping boring.
You do the ATD each year, which is basically the same thing each year, haha. I imagine we'll see more new research/information/comparisons in this project than we see in the average ATD. Especially if you participate, as you are one of the more consistent researchers there.

As a couple of people have said, there just isn't interest in a coaches project at this time.

Coaching would absolutely require more reading and juggling of non statistical factors. That scares people because they're not definitive like an equation. It's more perception is reality and I don't look at that as a problem, seemingly, like most do. Debate is healthy. With enough material and discussion, you can certainly end up with a thoughtful analysis of an entity that doesn't center around numbers. There truly is no perfect solution or right/wrong way. I feel there is far more to learn and more rewarding conclusions to end up at by branching away from players.
There is plenty to debate in the positional lists, and there are plenty of numbers in a coaches project for people to throw around in lieu of good conversation (though I feel like it must be said- numbers aren't bad. They shouldn't be the only thing we focus on, but they are a useful tool to use when appropriate).

You are trying to assign a motive to something without any evidence to support your assertion, and, worse, you are not extending that line of thought to your preferred project. It is an intellectually dishonest argument, IMO.

It's just a bit of a bummer to see almost no desire beyond maybe 3-4 people. Maybe it'll change in the years to come, but the voting and written opposition make that seem unlikely. considering it's coming from the most prominent names.
Or people have different priorities right now. For example, I am indeed interested in a coaches project; I am simply more interested in other things at this time.

I have no dog in this fight but Michael Farkas is spot on.
I don't know if I'm reading this wrong, but I hope you participate. You have a chance to help be the change you want to see in these projects- join in and provide the quotes and contemporary thoughts like you would do for the coaching project. That is what I plan to do, and judging by some of the other participants' comments, that is what they are planning as well.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think there is plenty to still uncover about the players. Is it as groundbreaking as coaches would be? Probably not. But then again, coaches is likely not as groundbreaking as the women's project would be- if covering new ground is your goal, the women's hockey project is likely the one with the most room for new knowledge.

I'm... aware of how the pre-consolidation project went. There is no reason we can't do that in the positional lists as well. Looking over the participants, it looks like many of the people are involved again here. Logically, we should expect the same level/style of discussion.

Will some people focus on stats? Sure. But that would likely happen in a coaches project as well, which you seem to glance over.

Why do we need new numbers? You seem to be hung up on the numbers, in much the same way you are accusing others of being. The gold is going to be in reading the contemporary thoughts and introducing the contemporary players into these discussions.

Perhaps I am more optimistic than you are. I think there is plenty out there for us to talk about.

This strikes me as a loaded question, kind of like "besides what is new, what other new things are there?". I, for one, am interested in seeing how the new players stack up against the established names. I'm interested in seeing how we look at the established names with new information that will be brought to light.

And it isn't like the coaches would be new names either. The ATD section already has bios for a ton of coaches, and they are even already loosely ranked.

Some of them have. Others haven't. Plus this isn't about just analyzing the players- it is about ranking them against one another. For example, Roy and Hasek has been discussed a ton on this board. Even against each other. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to getting into that debate again and trying to change hearts and minds.

You do the ATD each year, which is basically the same thing each year, haha. I imagine we'll see more new research/information/comparisons in this project than we see in the average ATD. Especially if you participate, as you are one of the more consistent researchers there.

As a couple of people have said, there just isn't interest in a coaches project at this time.

There is plenty to debate in the positional lists, and there are plenty of numbers in a coaches project for people to throw around in lieu of good conversation (though I feel like it must be said- numbers aren't bad. They shouldn't be the only thing we focus on, but they are a useful tool to use when appropriate).

You are trying to assign a motive to something without any evidence to support your assertion, and, worse, you are not extending that line of thought to your preferred project. It is an intellectually dishonest argument, IMO.

Or people have different priorities right now. For example, I am indeed interested in a coaches project; I am simply more interested in other things at this time.

I don't know if I'm reading this wrong, but I hope you participate. You have a chance to help be the change you want to see in these projects- join in and provide the quotes and contemporary thoughts like you would do for the coaching project. That is what I plan to do, and judging by some of the other participants' comments, that is what they are planning as well.

Have a nice project. Between your last post asserting my position as conspiracy laden, and now calling my assertions and opinions dishonest, I have nothing more to add.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Hansen

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Have a nice project. Between your last post asserting my position as conspiracy laden, and now calling my assertions and opinions dishonest, I have nothing more to add.
I’m sorry you feel that way; I think you have plenty more to add to this (and future) projects.

I was attempting to describe why I disagreed with your arguments/the issues I have with them. It wasn’t meant as an attack on you or your assertions and opinions in general, just the ones I specifically quoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad