Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I mean, I already see too many forwards before adding any more, like Lorentz and Patches.
The flip side is there’s a window of time between now and some of the youth being more predictably ‘ready’ - another junior year for Cowan, A time for Minten/Quillan/Tverberg, maybe Grebs.
And there’s still a ledger of picks to reclaim….so if there’s a trade of lesser role guys to reclaim some picks and cap flexibility, and these guys are placeholders….I guess I can see that.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
i don’t think playing Reaves or not makes too much of a difference. He doesn’t deter guys as much as we think, but we also aren’t getting much more from a Noah Gregor playing ~7 minutes a game in that 12th forward role either

Now as to actually speak about pacioretty, I don’t like it. At best it’s a reclamation project, and I don’t think it’s worth it. He seems broken down and is gonna take a spot from someone I’d rather see play (Mcmann, Robertson, potentially Cowan)

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I dont see the point in this one except to create competition in camp. He is 35 and hasnt looked good in a while. When is the last time a guy came back at 35 after two crummy years?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
When expectations are at their lowest maybe he surprises. Sadly I just don't see it. I have no problem with a player not producing as long as he has speed / grit. If he ain't scoring what exactly is he bringing? Can't imagine him and Tavares on the same line.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ahh yes, time to bring in another broken down old vet that hasnt accomplished anything major in the post season during his career.
We did that with Spezza and it worked well until Spezza got attached to dubas and ended leaving the leafs Org to be an assistant to Dubas lol

Spezza was washed and cobsidered done when he came here. On-ice he was probably the most liked leaf his 3 seasons here over the core guys even

Now the chances of that happening twice are probably 2-3%

Still if its a PTO and he looks sharp and capable no harm keeping a guy who can still give 15-20 goals and play on PP1 if needed (like Spezza did in north Division at times I believe)

His ceiling is a spezza like impact

Floor Joe Thornton like impact

Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ahh yes, time to bring in another broken down old vet that hasnt accomplished anything major in the post season during his career.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss……..

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We did that with Spezza and it worked well until Spezza got attached to dubas and ended leaving the leafs Org to be an assistant to Dubas lol

Spezza was washed and cobsidered done when he came here. On-ice he was probably the most liked leaf his 3 seasons here over the core guys even

Still if its a PTO and he looks sharp and capable no harm keeping a guy who can still give 15-20 goals and play on PP1 if needed (like Spezza did in north Division at times I believe)

That's an interesting comparison, but keep in mind that Patches was a ppg player in Vegas up until his injury. Spezza was healthy when his production left him in Dallas.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When expectations are at their lowest maybe he surprises. Sadly I just don't see it. I have no problem with a player not producing as long as he has speed / grit. If he ain't scoring what exactly is he bringing? Can't imagine him and Tavares on the same line.
If Patches es makes this team , it’ll be a indication of just how bad the forward depth is……..

Reactions: leafers and Al14

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

Jumbo scored a playoff goal in a playoff win. I would take that. (Yes the standard is that low now.)

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I mentioned in the other thread, but I think a off-season of real training will benefit Pacioretty in comparison to rehabbing a injury over the off-season. Two totally different things.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If he can pop in 10-15 goals in a minimum salary, would be a huge dub.

He also has size, which Im sure Berube and Tre likes

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Kind of a fun add. We're becoming an old team however. Odd direction to take

Leadership? I dunno, he is not a PKer , he is no longer a PP guy and he's old as dirt... not fast , does not defend overly elite. Not sure what he brings to the team TBH.

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
The rumours were nothing but leverage to use against Robertson. Patches won't be a leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad