Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm keeping an eye on the Bruins to see if they try to pass someone through.

I would assume tufte goes down. They could be very bold and try to waive Jones as well, but I can't imagine doing that, it would give them space for johnson, but still i think it would be big mistake

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
They don't have 6 guys that could slot in to the top 6, we already have Geekie in there who is ideally a third liner and realistically is probably closer to a 4th liner then a 2nd liner.

And as high as I am on Poitras, I'm not quite sure he's ready to take on consistent top 6 matchups.

Personally I’d go…

Frederic Lindholm Pasta
Marchand Zacha Poitras
Geekie Coyle Brazeau

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Zacha- Lindholm - Pastrnak is such a great match based on skills, strengths, and weaknesses

Why would anyone break up ?

The issue should be Poitras eventually for Coyle but this should be after Poitras has performed high level for 2-3 months

Poitras wasn’t on the second PP

I’ll start there
They're a match in every way... it just hasn't translated on the ice yet. Which is crazy because it feels like Lindholm and Zacha are both playing well. We saw more chemistry in two shifts of Marchand-Lindholm than we've seen in 3 games of Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta... Need to give it more time for sure. I like the theory that this is their pre-season. :crossfing

Poitras did get some time on the 2nd PP yesterday. He had about a minute of PP time.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Coyle had 60 point last year while playing extremely hard minutes. He earned that top 6 spot, they aren't gonna kick him out cause that line hasn't been great through 3 games.

If that line continues not producing it'll be Geekie that gets moved out for someone else anyway.
Coyle has never received the credit that he deserves since he came here. 25 goals last year and 60 points, oh well this offense is so good lets drop Coyle down in the lineup, that will solve everything.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Personally I’d go…

Frederic Lindholm Pasta
Marchand Zacha Poitras
Geekie Coyle Brazeau
Keep the 3rd line ... flip Marchand and Frederic.
Just not crazy about Poitras on the wing ... I guess it's okay as long as you also give him time in the middle - Zacha Poitras Frederic. See which combination works better.

Reactions: sarge88

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They should waive the shit out of Jones, I agree
Jones has played one game, but lets get rid of a young, bigger, tougher, more physical player that accomplished doing this offseason, for smaller, older player that you were trying to get away from, great strategy. Oh! I forgot Johnson has been so busy answering the phone calls he is receiving from other teams, so he a keeper.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Jones has played one game, but lets get rid of a young, bigger, tougher, more physical player that accomplished doing this offseason, for smaller, older player that you were trying to get away from, great strategy. Oh! I forgot Johnson has been so busy answering the phone calls he is receiving from other teams, so he a keeper.
How do we know he hasn't received another offer?

Maybe he was told once they have the cap sorted they will sign him, and he really doesn't want to go anywhere else so he declined?

I don't know that the Bruins have ever done that under Sweeney though. 😉

Reactions: bbfan419

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Coyle has never received the credit that he deserves since he came here. 25 goals last year and 60 points, oh well this offense is so good lets drop Coyle down in the lineup, that will solve everything.
Last year was an anomaly, an outlier season, carried by Marchand. Coyle does not produce offensive on his own, but he protects the puck very well, possession player who eats minutes.
Don't think of it as a demotion by moving Coyle. Think of it as creating two second lines to be used by the coach as situations dictate. Balancing the threat to other teams by using our players to their strengths, where they are most effective.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I look at it differently. They wouldn’t move Coyle to line three if they didn’t legitimately have 6 guys who could slot into the top 6.

Moving him to line 3, which gives the B’s an advantage most nights shouldn’t be seen as a knock on him….its just putting people in the best place for the team.
But they don't have 6 guys who could legitimately slot into the top6. And whether it's Coyle or Poitras on line 3, both should "give the B's an advantage most nights."

Poitras is destined for the top6, but there is some merit to doing it slowly, carefully. Putting him in the top6 puts a target on his back. "Take out Poitras you can take out the 2nd line." It also puts him up against guys like Kopitar and Bennett. Right now Coyle gets those assignments. That's some heavy lifting.

Maybe it would be better for Poitras to grow his game on the 3rd line, without those matchups and that target. He can just play, make plays, outplay other 3rd lines...

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
But they don't have 6 guys who could legitimately slot into the top6. And whether it's Coyle or Poitras on line 3, both should "give the B's an advantage most nights."

Poitras is destined for the top6, but there is some merit to doing it slowly, carefully. Putting him in the top6 puts a target on his back. "Take out Poitras you can take out the 2nd line." It also puts him up against guys like Kopitar and Bennett. Right now Coyle gets those assignments. That's some heavy lifting.

Maybe it would be better for Poitras to grow his game on the 3rd line, without those matchups and that target. He can just play, make plays, outplay other 3rd lines...
Well, thought out and you added some logic, sweet.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I get that perspective, but I guess I look at it this way.

The lines are frequently adjusted. To me Coyle isn’t a second line center. He might be very close to being one, but he’s much, much better suited to playing 3C.

Given that, there are lots of options for the the top two lines at wing.

If you commit to Lindholm, Zacha, and Coyle as your centers on lines 1-3, that gives the the B’s an advantage most nights…..especially at 3C, IMO.

Wingers are obviously important, but less so than centers.

Meaning, I think they are better off keeping those 3 centers in place and mixing and matching the wingers….even if it means one of those wingers is a stretch on the top 2 lines, it’s probably not as big a stretch as using Coyle at 2C.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Last year was an anomaly, an outlier season, carried by Marchand. Coyle does not produce offensive on his own, but he protects the puck very well, possession player who eats minutes.
Don't think of it as a demotion by moving Coyle. Think of it as creating two second lines to be used by the coach as situations dictate. Balancing the threat to other teams by using our players to their strengths, where they are most effective.
I don't think that's true or fair.

Coyle has averaged 35 even strength points his entire career, and most of the time he's done it on the 3rd line while breaking in rookie wingers and unproductive vets. How does he do that if he can't create his own offense? I mean, Elias Lindholm (who I really like) has played most of his career in a top6 role with good players and he also averages 37 even strength points.

The biggest difference in Coyle's production last year was special teams. He had 44 ES points, but picked up an extra 16 points on the PP and PK.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Poitras is excellent defensively for his age. Generally has had much stronger defensive results than Coyle. I wouldn't be surprised if Poitras will be recognized as a stronger two-way player than Lindholm in near future.

Poitras is 20. Yes, for a 20-year-old center he is excellent. But that's only because most 20-year-olds are terrible defensively. Not sure what is meant by "defensive results", but he's not close to Coyle defensively at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad