Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It seems to me understated how much of a retool on the fly we're in the midst of here.

Only 9 players from last year's opener are in the lineup tonight, and only one who isn't will eventually be (Poitras).

From two years ago, only 5 players from that lineup are playing tonight (though no Marchand or McAvoy then).

Pretty wild.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Maybe we can post this every time someone starts the Mr Burns garbage
If you followed this team from 75 to the salary cap, Monty Burns, Darth Jacobs, Satan and more are all still more than acceptable names for Jacobs

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Looking at the overall construction it seems pretty flawed. Not saying it's not going to work, but just a few thoughts...

The forwards are super thin, especially since none of the kids stepped up and Matty P hurt.

The defense seems to be pretty expensive. 30 mil or so. All of the value of having an ELC deal on the 2nd pair is negated by almost 8 million on the 3rd pair.

Goalie wise, it's seems insane to have a 3 mil dollar backup to a guy you just gave 8+ million too but maybe they really thought they could get him under 7. Just odd

Would a guy like Arvidsson at 2 rw and Wotherspoon at 3LD be better than Geekie at 2RW and Z at 3LD?

I'm sure it will all work out as the season goes on, but it really doesn't seem like this was the finished product game one they imagined?

Looks like 8 teams at this point.

There is zero chance the Bruins brought his name up in talks as someone they were interested in.
I didn’t say that they wanted him, I mentioned salary having come back as the primary reason. However, once he was part of the deal the thinking went to building him back up in a strong system in hopes of gaining an asset down the line.

They could very well end up keeping him the full duration of the deal. I doubt it, but I’ve seen stranger things.

Reactions: LouJersey

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Why carry 22? Maybe for practice purposes? Seems like their hopes of adding at the deadline are a pipe dream with $600k of deadline space.

Looking at the deadline heists pulled off by the likes of Tampa and Vegas in recent years, I'm not worried about cap pennies at this point. There's always a way to add when the time comes. Just need the smarts and the will to make it happen. Having the right assets to send back is often the harder part in closing deals, more so than the money.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It seems to me understated how much of a retool on the fly we're in the midst of here.

Only 9 players from last year's opener are in the lineup tonight, and only one who isn't will eventually be (Poitras).

From two years ago, only 5 players from that lineup are playing tonight (though no Marchand or McAvoy then).

Pretty wild.

Yeah the amount of change is huge. Crazy really just how different this roster is even from when Monty first took the reins. Basically a completely different team. McAvoy made a comment along those lines the other day.

To stay competitive whilst going through that much transformation is very impressive in itself. But can they springboard this new look/direction from competitive to true contender? That's the biggest challenge. History says its extremely hard to win it all without having seriously scooped the cream of the draft at some point. But not impossible. Since the scoop is off the table for the Jacobs-owned Bruins unless through force majeure, retool is the go and we can only hope it works. It's an interesting process, if nothing else.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yeah the amount of change is huge. Crazy really just how different this roster is even from when Monty first took the reins. Basically a completely different team. McAvoy made a comment along those lines the other day.

To stay competitive whilst going through that much transformation is very impressive in itself. But can they springboard this new look/direction from competitive to true contender? That's the biggest challenge. History says its extremely hard to win it all without having seriously scooped the cream of the draft at some point. But not impossible. Since the scoop is off the table for the Jacobs-owned Bruins unless through force majeure, retool is the go and we can only hope it works. It's an interesting process, if nothing else.
They are a true contender now IMO, if they aren't then someone did something very wrong.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
They are a true contender now IMO, if they aren't then someone did something very wrong.

They might be. The forward group more than anything worries me. But I've predicted 105 points and that of course would put them right in the mix. So I'm hopeful. Beyond that it's probably a question of degree - I'm not seeing a slam dunk obvious Cup challenger here, but a team that's somewhere on the scale as being one that just might go all the way? Sure, why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad