Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Zacha - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand/Frederic - Coyle - Lysell/Geekie/PTO
Marchand/Frederic - Poitras/Merkulov - Lysell/Geekie/PTO
Jones - Beecher - Brazeau/Kastelic
13th forward: Brazeau/Kastelic
Tufte/Veil/Other

That's the way I see it. I know others see Brazeau higher up in the lineup, but I strongly disagree with that.

I think there's a difference between having options and having competition. I think there are many different combinations you could have, but not a ton of players vying for spots in those combos.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Geekie could be 3C if Poitras doesn’t win the job, Brazeau to 3RW.

Brazeau could be 4RW with Beecher 4LW and Kastelic 4C and Jones as 13F.

Calling any prospect an “AHLer” lets you describe the situation as poorly as possible. Would be great if the competition was Jonathan Marchessault or Anthony Duclair, but they cost money. Thinking the competition is noticeably better because of the presence of the corpse of Blake Wheeler or Kailer Yamamoto is funny.

1 prospect in lysell. The rest are guys in their mid 20’s going into their age 24, 26 and 26 seasons. Those aren’t prospects anymore.

Cleary your expectations are too high.

I see the most likely scenario as Geekie (2RW), Brazeau (3RW), Kastelic (4RW).

That’s an awful 2-4 RW scenario.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Tufte/Veil/Other

That's the way I see it. I know others see Brazeau higher up in the lineup, but I strongly disagree with that.

I think there's a difference between having options and having competition. I think there are many different combinations you could have, but not a ton of players vying for spots in those combos.

I think you put it very well with the “difference between having options and competition”

If the standard for having a lot of competition at a position is 1 prospect and a handful of guys in their mid 20s who all have less than 30 games played in their career. Then the entire league has a lot of competitions at half their positions every season.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think you put it very well with the “difference between having options and competition”

If the standard for having a lot of competition at a position is 1 prospect and a handful of guys in their mid 20s who all have less than 30 games played in their career. Then the entire league has a lot of competitions at half their positions every season.

What is competition then 2 prospects? If you had signed a guy like Danton Heinen then there would be no competition for jobs as all would be locked in except maybe Beecher and Poitras

Does adding a PTO or two make it more of a competition?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What is competition then 2 prospects? If you had signed a guy like Danton Heinen then there would be no competition for jobs as all would be locked in except maybe Beecher and Poitras

Does adding a PTO or two make it more of a competition?

Do you consider 1 prospect and a handful of guys in their mid 20’s all with less than 30 nhl games to their name as “a ton of competition”?

If that’s the case then the every NHL team in the league has “a ton of competition” for about 10-12 roster spots every year.

An example of a competition to me would be the bruins LD situation last year where gryz/forbort/wotherspoon/lohrei we’re all in a healthy competition to see who would be playing on a nightly basis(more so at the end of the year/playoffs). A prospect and some legit NHLers. And I don’t even know if I’d label that as “a ton”

Not a prospect and some mid 20s AHL players who all have less than 30 career games.

Thats patchwork and hoping something sticks.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I've seen it all. Now we're debating the use over the word competition, lmao. f*** sake.

No not really the discussion at all. Someone said they’d bring in wheeler and marchy said there’s no need because there’s already a ton of competition for the position.

Not debating the word competition. Debating the amount of competition or lack there of

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you consider 1 prospect and a handful of guys in their mid 20’s all with less than 30 nhl games to their name as “a ton of competition”?

If that’s the case then the every NHL team in the league has “a ton of competition” for about 10-12 roster spots every year.

An example of a competition to me would be the bruins LD situation last year where gryz/forbort/wotherspoon/lohrei we’re all in a healthy competition to see who would be playing on a nightly basis(more so at the end of the year/playoffs). A prospect and some legit NHLers. And I don’t even know if I’d label that as “a ton”

Not a prospect and some mid 20s AHL players who all have less than 30 career games.

Thats patchwork and hoping something sticks.

Wotherspoon was a career AHL guy in his mid 20s with 12 career NHL games, and Lohrei was a prospect, and a far less established prospect than Lysell has 2 full seasons of pro hockey. Lohrei had a cup of coffee in the minors entering last camp

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wotherspoon was a career AHL guy in his mid 20s with 12 career NHL games, and Lohrei was a prospect, and a far less established prospect than Lysell has 2 full seasons of pro hockey. Lohrei had a cup of coffee in the minors entering last camp

Yes the difference is they were competing against two established NHLers. The two you mentioned were on the outside looking in until they played games and earned a spot.

It’s stunning you can’t see the difference

Also exactly why I mentioned the “(more so at the end of the year /playoffs)” and not to start the year because at the beginning of the year there was no competition

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My hope is that Lysell or Poitras can stick at 2 RW.

That happens and Zacha and Coyle can slot into 2C and 3C, which is ideal, IMO.

Marchand Lindholm Pasta
Frederic Zacha Lysell/Poitras
Geekie Coyle Brazeau
Jones Kastelic Beecher

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

If the rumors at the time were untrue (and those who supposedly know contend that is the case), I still don't know why Nathan Horton wanted out of Boston.

In the event, a reexamination of an acquisition that may have pushed the Bruins over the Stanley Cup finish line,

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tufte/Veil/Other

Brazeau looked pretty damn good to me. Not just his production and net front presence, but his hockey IQ, his hands and his ability to make plays using his long reach.

Cannot see Merkulov playing center on this team.

1 prospect in lysell. The rest are guys in their mid 20’s going into their age 24, 26 and 26 seasons. Those aren’t prospects anymore.

That’s an awful 2-4 RW scenario.

Compared to who?

Geekie had one less point than DeBrusk last season playing 4 less games and with lesser players.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Brazeau looked pretty damn good to me. Not just his production and net front presence, but his hockey IQ, his hands and his ability to make plays using his long reach.

Compared to who?

Geekie had one less point than DeBrusk last season playing 4 less games and with lesser players.

I love the complete 180 everyone has taken on Debrusk now it’s truly stunning. That’s besides the point though.

Yes geekie had one less point and he was 3rd line. Now Geekie moves up to you in this hypothetical and there’s an unknown commodity on the 3rd line not Debrusk.

Big difference between debrusk/geekie and geekie/(one of brazeau/lysell)

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I love the complete 180 everyone has taken on Debrusk now it’s truly stunning. That’s besides the point though.

Yes geekie had one less point and he was 3rd line. Now Geekie moves up to you in this hypothetical and there’s an unknown commodity on the 3rd line not Debrusk.

“Everyone”

• Haha
Reactions: Hookslide

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Brazeau looked good to me too. Limited in TOI and overall body of work, but he really impressed me. I imagine him on the fourth line and on PP2 to give both units some net-front scoring threat.

Merkulov I'm not sure I see as an NHL player at all, let alone at C. But can't deny his success in the AHL in his young professional career and won't count him out as an option.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

What are you talking about?

If Geekie plays 2nd line RW I'd wager he scorers more than DeBrusk did last season.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I dont understand all the shoe-peeing over a 2RW. We didnt/dont have a ton of cap space and C and D took precedence. Seems reasonable to me. The Geekie, Brazeau, Frederic types at least provide competent cover for the position if Lysell, or whatever rookie doesnt work out and get a rental at the deadline if you need. I dont think Debrusk was coming back anyway. Im not sure what impact RW we should have gotten instead of the guys we got.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

DeBrusk was a guy people wanted assigned to Providence at times.

I think we'd take him over Peeke+Korpisalo but his deal might end up being a benchmark awful contract.

And every Bruins fan should be chest thumping what we did to Vancouver in the offseason. They gave up assets for 2 players at the deadline that punked them and refused to sign with them only so they could be Bruins instead. And have soft ass Heinen to go along with headcase JDB.

Noone is putting Geekie or Fredric into the allstar game but they are in their contract years and in their primes and should be great on the middle lines.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

If the rumors at the time were untrue (and those who supposedly know contend that is the case), I still don't know why Nathan Horton wanted out of Boston.

In the event, a reexamination of an acquisition that may have pushed the Bruins over the Stanley Cup finish line,

The initial rumors weren't 100 percent accurate but they were " true-adjacent " and Horton wanted a fresh start for himself and his family.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The initial rumors weren't 100 percent accurate but they were " true-adjacent " and Horton wanted a fresh start for himself and his family.
Well, he kind of got it. It's unfortunate that his career ended shortly thereafter.

I wish him well.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I can easily see this middle six starting every game

Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie

With Geekie and Lysell switching for important defensive draws or when up late in the 3rd. Brazeau bumping up to line 3 and Lysell hidden on line 4

It's just the reality of line shuffling. Monty does it all the time .

Lysell will get the rookie treatment. He'll get his opportunities and learn what he needs to do play in all situations but when the game gets tight, Monty will lean on the vets.

Not super worried about it. I just want to see him have success when he does get those chances higher in the lineup. I think he'll shine offensively.

Reactions: PB37

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
DeBrusk was a guy people wanted assigned to Providence at times.

I think we'd take him over Peeke+Korpisalo but his deal might end up being a benchmark awful contract.

And every Bruins fan should be chest thumping what we did to Vancouver in the offseason. They gave up assets for 2 players at the deadline that punked them and refused to sign with them only so they could be Bruins instead. And have soft ass Heinen to go along with headcase JDB.

Noone is putting Geekie or Fredric into the allstar game but they are in their contract years and in their primes and should be great on the middle lines.
I like Geekie and Frederic on line 3 . I think they have good chemistry. There will be stretches when they will be invisible but think they can be decent 3rd liners . Maybe Brazeau plays with them?

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad