Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
PP1

Zacha -- Pasta -- Marchand -- Lindholm

McAvoy

- Lindholm in the Bergeron bumper

- Pasta in his office

- Marchand in the Savard elbow

- Zacha net front/goal line

PP2

Frederic -- Coyle -- Brazeau -- Geekie

Lohrei

- Geekie works the Pasta one timer

- Coyle in the bumper

- Brazeau working the front of the net

Reactions: PlayMakers

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
At a garage party, unidentified chirp singling me and my lad out because we insisted the bruins are more than tough enough now

IMG_6238.jpeg

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Curious to hear who people think the new net front guy on the PP should be?

Last year it was a combo of JDB and JVR. The year before Bertuzzi was great at it. Typically the Bruins like the NF guy to be a lefty so he can make plays on his forehand (from down low) to the bumper and Pasta for 1timers.

If they stick with a lefty the options are... Zacha, Frederic, Jones, Beecher... or they could move Marchand into the role and put someone else on the elbow.
At a garage party, unidentified chirp singling me and my lad out because we insisted the bruins are more than tough enough now

View attachment 901659
Hey just mad

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Riley Tufte knows all about the highs and lows.

One of the Bruins’ free agent signees last month, Tufte has been through the ups and downs of hockey and also the ebbs and flows of managing Type 1 diabetes.

Like seemingly every kid growing up in Minnesota, Tufte spent his sweltering summer days in the rinks and his wicked winter days on the state of hockey’s myriad lakes.
He couldn’t get enough of the ice, eagerly strapping on the blades whenever the opportunity arose.
Then, during his pee-wee season, things changed. His energy levels dropped, and he had an unquenchable thirst.
Tufte’s mother, Amy, sensed something was amiss and took Riley for tests that confirmed the diagnosis.

“It was pretty crazy,” Tufte said via telephone after a recent workout in Minnesota. “I mean, I got diagnosed when I was 11 years old. So my mom, thankfully, was a nurse at the time, so she knew my symptoms and stuff, which helped me out a ton.”

“It was such a shock to find out that I had it,” he said. “And you kind of go in denial at the beginning for me anyway. Like, ‘How can this be happening to me? I was always in good shape.’ "

After the initial jolt wore off, Tufte, with the support of his family, faced the diagnosis head on.

So began the tedious regimen of finger sticks (to check blood sugar levels) and corresponding doses of insulin shots to keep everything steady (to minimize/avoid the dangers of high and low levels).

In the 15 years since his diagnosis, Tufte’s game evolved, as did the technology to cope with and fight diabetes.

Continuous glucose monitors (or CGMs) and insulin pumps have made finger sticks and needles obsolete for many Type 1 diabetics.

“The technology has really taken off. I have an automated pump now, so if I go high in the middle of the night, it’ll automatically correct me. So, I wake up every morning, it’s the same number,” said Tufte.

Refusing to use the disease as an excuse, Tufte continued to excel on the ice.

Tufte was on the roster for the US select team at the 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and for the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup in the Czech Republic.

He played four seasons for Blaine High School, splitting his junior and senior seasons between the Bengals and the USHL’s Fargo Force. He was named Minnesota’s Mr. Hockey in 2016 after leading the state with 47 goals in 25 games.

“I was really thankful to get that award, it kind of kickstarted my hockey career,” Tufte said of the honor that previously had been bestowed on future NHLers Ryan McDonagh (2007), Nick Leddy (2009), and Nick Bjugstad (2010).

The 6-foot-6-inch, 230-pound Tufte was taken 25th overall by the Dallas Stars in 2016 before moving on to the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Tufte helped the US to a bronze medal at the 2018 World Junior Championship in Buffalo, where his teammates included current Bruins Jeremy Swayman and Andrew Peeke.

From there, Tufte moved on to Texas, where he spent most of his four seasons in Cedar Park playing with Dallas’s AHL affiliate (also the Stars). He showed improvement every season in that organization (where he crossed paths with Montgomery again), collecting 19 goals and 35 points in his final tour with the AHL Stars. He had one goal in 10 total games with the big club.

The Bruins put a premium on size this offseason. In addition to Tufte, they signed forwards Elias Lindholm(6-1), Max Jones (6-3), and Cole Koepke (6-1), as well as defenseman Nikita Zadorov (6-6).

“You look at the roster and every guy’s big and got some meat to them,” said Tufte. “So, I think the Boston Bruins are going to be pretty hard to play against. I mean, they already are, but I think this year especially they wanted to get bigger and stronger and harder to play against. So, I think that’s going to be our identity is going to be hard to play against, for sure.”

General manager Don Sweeney’s message to the incoming group who will be battling for roster spots was simple: “Just pin your ears back, train your ass off this summer, and come with the intent that there’ll be an opportunity here. If you’re the best player, then we’ll find a way to get you in the lineup.”

That’s the blueprint followed by Tufte, a player the Bruins have tracked for several seasons.

“I think I knew going into free agency just from the year before they were really interested, and once free agency started, my agents thought that this would be the best fit and they were the most interested,” said Tufte, who signed a one-way deal with a salary-cap hit of $775,000. “And there were a couple other teams in the mix too, but we just felt like Boston was the best fit for me and really trying to take off with my career here in the next year. So, looking to get that good opportunity and obviously you have to earn it, but they don’t just hand out one-ways anymore and they gave me a one-way, so it must tell you something.”

“I’ve been so impressed with this organization, just as far as people reaching out,” he said. “A couple of the players reached out to me right away and I’ve never really seen that before. So, I think that tells you a lot about the organization. It’s really special.”

Tufte expects to be in Boston at the end of this month as he wraps up his summer, which included hosting a camp for young players with diabetes in Vadnais Heights, Minn.

“That was something that was pretty special to me,” said Tufte, who is hoping to make it an annual event.

“I put them through some meetings every day and just kind of talked to them a little bit about what I do and their struggles and kind of talked them out a little bit and gave them the floor to ask me questions and stuff,” he said. “So, I think it was the biggest thing you want to do is just keep these young diabetics motivated and keep their dreams alive because there’s a lot of tough days with diabetes, and I still have a lot of tough days, too. So, it’s more about just getting all together and keeping them motivated.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also from the Globe:

ETC.​

No deals but no need to panic​

Jeremy Swayman has yet to put ink to paper on a new deal with the Bruins, but the All-Star goalie is scheduled to put rubber to the road Sunday as a part of the Boston Triathlon relay at Southie’s Carson Beach.

Swayman will participate in the 17.5-kilometer bike portion of the relay.

While it’s a little disconcerting that Swayman isn’t under contract, there is no need to panic. The feeling is, with no arbitration, that the sides will hammer out a pact in time for the start of training camp Sept. 18.

Swayman isn’t the only big-name restricted free agent yet to sign. Matty Beniers, the Kraken’s best player and the pride of Hingham, is also awaiting a new contract. While the slick center’s status may have Seattle fans a bit jittery, it’s unnecessary. Put the coffee down, there’s no way smart and savvy GM Ron Francis lets Beniers skate away.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
“I think I knew going into free agency just from the year before they were really interested, and once free agency started, my agents thought that this would be the best fit and they were the most interested,” said Tufte, who signed a one-way deal with a salary-cap hit of $775,000. “And there were a couple other teams in the mix too, but we just felt like Boston was the best fit for me and really trying to take off with my career here in the next year. So, looking to get that good opportunity and obviously you have to earn it, but they don’t just hand out one-ways anymore and they gave me a one-way, so it must tell you something.”
this is one thing that I've been curious about, Tufte is 26, has 18 career NHL games, and has never really dominated the AHL either. Not really a guy that you'd think would warrant giving a one-way contract to. Wonder if the bruins see him as someone that could actually push for a bottom 6 spot?

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
this is one thing that I've been curious about, Tufte is 26, has 18 career NHL games, and has never really dominated the AHL either. Not really a guy that you'd think would warrant giving a one-way contract to. Wonder if the bruins see him as someone that could actually push for a bottom 6 spot?

A Byron Bitz type? Better be willing to hit and fight to earn a spot over the other #13th forward candidates.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
2nd ary scoring ? Marchand looses another step, Lindholm the center replaces DeBrusk. Will they score more than last year, and if so signficantly ? Sure, Goaltending and D will be lights out, but concerned for scoring. To me, every year the 3rd and 4th line just seem to bring so little to the offense. Not expecting big numbers but expecting more. Hopefully you are correct, and I'm off on the 3rd & 4th lines.
Bruins third line in 2022-23 were top in League in several category but 135 points not surprising

This past season Geekie, Freddie etc that was a pretty good Line

I believe they will be very good

I’ve undershot them last 5 years here between 3 and 15 points (yeh had them at 120 points in 23)

I’m a bit of a conservative so Bruins probably will be better I don’t usually give them enough credit

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
PP1

Zacha -- Pasta -- Marchand -- Lindholm

McAvoy

- Lindholm in the Bergeron bumper

- Pasta in his office

- Marchand in the Savard elbow

- Zacha net front/goal line

PP2

Frederic -- Coyle -- Brazeau -- Geekie

Lohrei

- Geekie works the Pasta one timer

- Coyle in the bumper

- Brazeau working the front of the net

Frederic and Geekie on a PP would be disappointing. Poitras instead perhaps for talent. Geekie showed for certain he is no top 6 forward or offensive presence in the playoffs.

First unit perfect.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Frederic and Geekie on a PP would be disappointing. Poitras instead perhaps for talent. Geekie showed for certain he is no top 6 forward or offensive presence in the playoffs.

First unit perfect.
Geekie was 2nd on the team in goals in the playoffs...

I agree he's definitely best served on your 3rd line (as well as Frederic) but these two are really good soldiers for us. 30 seconds here and there on the 2nd unit for rewarding good play is not going to kill us

Would like to see Poitras and Lysell get looks there tho as well

On a side note, can't believe the pass Zacha gets around these boards. Two disappointing playoffs and getting penciled in for 1st unit doesn't sit right with me.

I don't think that spot is a lock for anyone. I see something again like last year with a rotation. I bet we see Brazeau, Coyle, and maybe even Frederic get some time there

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Why the hate for Coyle?
Don't hate anyone, I just thinks he's an extremely overrated good player that's cast into a roll that a team that has SC on its mind should not be relying on in an elevated roll.

Fill in on top lines sure, but we need to stop putting him with guys that need the puck to score goals, his career year proves nothing. Be hopping he did what he did last season but don't rely on it to happen again. Put him back on the third line.

We will be a better team for it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Don't hate anyone, I just thinks he's an extremely overrated good player that's cast into a roll that a team that has SC on its mind should not be relying on in an elevated roll.

Fill in on top lines sure, but we need to stop putting him with guys that need the puck to score goals, his career year proves nothing. Be hopping he did what he did last season but don't rely on it to happen again. Put him back on the third line.

We will be a better team for it.

I like Coyle, but to me he's unfortunately what I think is the lynch pin for this team.....

What I mean is this:

If by the playoffs this lineup can evolve to a point where Coyle is the 3C -- I'd say they are among the top 3-4 contenders.

If by the playoffs this lineup has him as the 2C --- I'd say they are among the top 7-8 contenders.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Bruins third line in 2022-23 were top in League in several category but 135 points not surprising

I’ve undershot them last 5 years here between 3 and 15 points (yeh had them at 120 points in 23)

I’m a bit of a conservative so Bruins probably will be better I don’t usually give them enough credit
Did not know that about the 3rd line. Good to hear. I expect Frederick to be a bit better too, he has improved every year.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

3rd line will be good next year. Frederic-Poitras-Geekie should get about 120 points

2nd line on the low end will have Marchand (60) Coyle (50) and then likely Lysell/Brazeau for....?

Biggest hole in the forward group is the RW2

If Lysell is a hit, the Bruins are going to be really good next year

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of course.... they had Bergeron, Krejci, Pasta, Marchand, Debrusk, Hall, Bertuzzi, Coyle and Zacha.

What does that have to do with 2024-25?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Of course.... they had Bergeron, Krejci, Pasta, Marchand, Debrusk, Hall, Bertuzzi, Coyle and Zacha.

What does that have to do with 2024-25?
The poster referred to every year they aren’t good

I’m really not worries about the Bruins third line in August

I’m more concerned should I cut the lawn now or later

3rd line will be good next year. Frederic-Poitras-Geekie should get about 120 points

2nd line will on the low end will have Marchand (60) Coyle (50) and then likely Lysell/Brazeau for....?

Biggest hole in the forward group is the RW2

If Lysell is a hit, the Bruins are going to be really good next year
Lysell is going to crush it

Only injuries and no green M&Ms in locker room can stop him from top 10 voting finish in ROY

He’s electric in my live viewings at Dunk Center

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

NHL Notebook: Bruins ownership approves of bigger, badder B's​

In case you missed it,

New Bruin Riley Tufte has had to deal with a lot of ups and downs in his hockey career, including Type 1 diabetes​

By Jim McBride Globe Staff,Updated August 17, 2024, 10:41 a.m.

The Bruins signed Riley Tufte (left) to a one-way deal with a salary-cap hit of $775,000.
The Bruins signed Riley Tufte (left) to a one-way deal with a salary-cap hit of $775,000.BRIANA SANCHEZ/EL PASO TIMES/Associated Press
Riley Tufte knows all about the highs and lows.
One of the Bruins’ free agent signees last month, Tufte has been through the ups and downs of hockey and also the ebbs and flows of managing Type 1 diabetes.
Like seemingly every kid growing up in Minnesota, Tufte spent his sweltering summer days in the rinks and his wicked winter days on the state of hockey’s myriad lakes.
He couldn’t get enough of the ice, eagerly strapping on the blades whenever the opportunity arose.
Then, during his pee-wee season, things changed. His energy levels dropped, and he had an unquenchable thirst.
Tufte’s mother, Amy, sensed something was amiss and took Riley for tests that confirmed the diagnosis.
“It was pretty crazy,” Tufte said via telephone after a recent workout in Minnesota. “I mean, I got diagnosed when I was 11 years old. So my mom, thankfully, was a nurse at the time, so she knew my symptoms and stuff, which helped me out a ton.”
Get Sports Headlines
The Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Enter Email
Tufte’s initial reaction to the news was pretty standard. Exactly what you’d expect from a preteen.
Advertisement

“It was such a shock to find out that I had it,” he said. “And you kind of go in denial at the beginning for me anyway. Like, ‘How can this be happening to me? I was always in good shape.’ "
After the initial jolt wore off, Tufte, with the support of his family, faced the diagnosis head on.
So began the tedious regimen of finger sticks (to check blood sugar levels) and corresponding doses of insulin shots to keep everything steady (to minimize/avoid the dangers of high and low levels).
In the 15 years since his diagnosis, Tufte’s game evolved, as did the technology to cope with and fight diabetes.
Continuous glucose monitors (or CGMs) and insulin pumps have made finger sticks and needles obsolete for many Type 1 diabetics.
“The technology has really taken off. I have an automated pump now, so if I go high in the middle of the night, it’ll automatically correct me. So, I wake up every morning, it’s the same number,” said Tufte.
Refusing to use the disease as an excuse, Tufte continued to excel on the ice.
Advertisement

Tufte was on the roster for the US select team at the 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and for the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup in the Czech Republic.
He played four seasons for Blaine High School, splitting his junior and senior seasons between the Bengals and the USHL’s Fargo Force. He was named Minnesota’s Mr. Hockey in 2016 after leading the state with 47 goals in 25 games.
“I was really thankful to get that award, it kind of kickstarted my hockey career,” Tufte said of the honor that previously had been bestowed on future NHLers Ryan McDonagh (2007), Nick Leddy (2009), and Nick Bjugstad (2010).
The 6-foot-6-inch, 230-pound Tufte was taken 25th overall by the Dallas Stars in 2016 before moving on to the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Related: Bruins rookie Riley Duran, of Woburn, is gunning for a roster spot with his hometown team
In three seasons with the Bulldogs, Tufte, known for his strong skating and soft hands, put up 34 goals and 64 points. UMD reached the Frozen Four title game all three campaigns, losing to Jim Montgomery’s Denver squad in 2017 before earning back-to-back titles over Notre Dame and UMass.
“It was awesome,” said Tufte, noting that the first crown came in St. Paul, just a short skate down I-694 from his hometown of Coon Rapids.
During his final season in Duluth, Tufte helped the US to a bronze medal at the 2018 World Junior Championship in Buffalo, where his teammates included current Bruins Jeremy Swayman and Andrew Peeke.
From there, Tufte moved on to Texas, where he spent most of his four seasons in Cedar Park playing with Dallas’s AHL affiliate (also the Stars). He showed improvement every season in that organization (where he crossed paths with Montgomery again), collecting 19 goals and 35 points in his final tour with the AHL Stars. He had one goal in 10 total games with the big club.
Advertisement

Tufte’s rise continued last season, when he put up career-high numbers (23 goals, 45 points) with the Colorado Eagles, the Avalanche’s top minor league affiliate. He had a goal and an assist in a five-game cameo with the Avalanche.
“Obviously, I was young in my career when I was with Dallas. I thought my development has been tremendously going upward. I think every year especially I’ve gotten better, which is good. You don’t want to see you going backward. And I’m going forward,” said Tufte. “I’ve said it all along, but I think it takes bigger guys a little bit longer to grow into their bodies and kind of figure out the game. And everywhere I’ve played, I kind of had to figure out the game. And this will be my fifth year as a pro, I believe, with the COVID year. But I was young in my Dallas and Texas career and probably got better every year, and kudos to them for my development. And I kind of played a fourth-line role there too, all four of my years. And I had to work for everything that I got, which I think was something pretty special.”
The Bruins put a premium on size this offseason. In addition to Tufte, they signed forwards Elias Lindholm (6-1), Max Jones (6-3), and Cole Koepke (6-1), as well as defenseman Nikita Zadorov (6-6).
“You look at the roster and every guy’s big and got some meat to them,” said Tufte. “So, I think the Boston Bruins are going to be pretty hard to play against. I mean, they already are, but I think this year especially they wanted to get bigger and stronger and harder to play against. So, I think that’s going to be our identity is going to be hard to play against, for sure.”
Advertisement

General manager Don Sweeney’s message to the incoming group who will be battling for roster spots was simple: “Just pin your ears back, train your ass off this summer, and come with the intent that there’ll be an opportunity here. If you’re the best player, then we’ll find a way to get you in the lineup.”
That’s the blueprint followed by Tufte, a player the Bruins have tracked for several seasons.
Though he hasn’t donned the Black and Gold yet, Tufte said he already feels a sense of camaraderie with his new teammates.
“I’ve been so impressed with this organization, just as far as people reaching out,” he said. “A couple of the players reached out to me right away and I’ve never really seen that before. So, I think that tells you a lot about the organization. It’s really special.”
Advertisement

Tufte expects to be in Boston at the end of this month as he wraps up his summer, which included hosting a camp for young players with diabetes in Vadnais Heights, Minn.
“That was something that was pretty special to me,” said Tufte, who is hoping to make it an annual event.
“I put them through some meetings every day and just kind of talked to them a little bit about what I do and their struggles and kind of talked them out a little bit and gave them the floor to ask me questions and stuff,” he said. “So, I think it was the biggest thing you want to do is just keep these young diabetics motivated and keep their dreams alive because there’s a lot of tough days with diabetes, and I still have a lot of tough days, too. So, it’s more about just getting all together and keeping them motivated.”

TAKING ON THE NCAA​

Lawsuit seeks to change landscape​

The NCAA was hit with a lawsuit recently over, you guessed it, eligibility.
It’s a new suit, but it’s the same old story when it comes to the NCAA, which historically finds itself on the wrong side of common-sense issues.
This suit was filed by Canadian junior hockey player Rylan Masterson, who is suing the billion-dollar organization (which makes its money off the backs of student-athletes) and 10 universities, claiming the NCAA is violating antitrust laws by banning players who have been paid in junior leagues.
The 10 schools named are Boston College, Boston University, Stonehill, Quinnipiac, Denver, Notre Dame, Niagara, Canisius, Rochester Institute of Technology, and St. Thomas.
Though it’s not clear why those specific schools were named in the suit, it’s likely those were among Masterson’s desired destinations.

Masterson, 19, forfeited his NCAA eligibility when he played two exhibition games (yes, two exhibition games!) with the Ontario Hockey League’s Windsor Spitfires. He currently plays for the Fort Erie Meteors (great name, by the way) of the amateur Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
Players who compete in the Canadian Hockey League (which encompasses the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL) are currently deemed ineligible by the NCAA. CHL players don’t draw traditional paychecks, rather they are given a stipend of no more than $600 a month, according to the suit. Most stay with billet families.
If Masterson’s suit is successful, it would change the college hockey landscape considerably. The suit alleges that kids must decide at the tender age of 16 whether they want to play for a Division 1 college program or take the junior route. A win for Masterson would be a win for all skaters who wish to play both.
No 16-year-old should be forced to make that big of a life decision at that age.
In the suit, Masterson points out that other athletes have been financially compensated and still retained their eligibility. He cites US Olympic swimmer Katie Ledecky (Stanford) and Tom Willander, who played professional hockey in Sweden and suited up for BU last season, as examples.
In a time when college athletes are making life-altering money before ever matriculating (thank you, NIL), this seems like no-brainer for the NCAA.
Charlie Baker should run and rubber stamp a bylaw amendment to change the way the NCAA views and treats CHL players. The organization already shortchanges hockey (16 teams in the Division 1 tournament compared with 68 for basketball? Please!), so this would go a long way in leveling the playing surface.
Charlie Baker and the NCAA are facing a lawsuit from hockey player Rylan Masterson.
Charlie Baker and the NCAA are facing a lawsuit from hockey player Rylan Masterson. Matthew J. Lee/Globe Staff

ETC.​

No deals but no need to panic​

Jeremy Swayman has yet to put ink to paper on a new deal with the Bruins, but the All-Star goalie is scheduled to put rubber to the road Sunday as a part of the Boston Triathlon relay at Southie’s Carson Beach.
Swayman will participate in the 17.5-kilometer bike portion of the relay.
While it’s a little disconcerting that Swayman isn’t under contract, there is no need to panic. The feeling is, with no arbitration, that the sides will hammer out a pact in time for the start of training camp Sept. 18.
Swayman isn’t the only big-name restricted free agent yet to sign. Matty Beniers, the Kraken’s best player and the pride of Hingham, is also awaiting a new contract. While the slick center’s status may have Seattle fans a bit jittery, it’s unnecessary. Put the coffee down, there’s no way smart and savvy GM Ron Francis lets Beniers skate away.
Are Jeremy Swayman and the Bruins close to a deal?

Default Mono Sans Mono Serif Sans Serif Comic Fancy Small Caps
Default X-Small Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large
Default Outline Dark Outline Light Outline Dark Bold Outline Light Bold Shadow Dark Shadow Light Shadow Dark Bold Shadow Light Bold
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%
Default Black Silver Gray White Maroon Red Purple Fuchsia Green Lime Olive Yellow Navy Blue Teal Aqua OrangeDefault 100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

4:10

WATCH: The goalie’s contract is the final order of business this offseason. Reporter Jim McBride explains how much it could cost.

Loose pucks​

NHL Network unveiled its list of the top 20 wingers in the game and a pair of Bruins made the cut. Three-time All-Star (and world champion) David Pastrnak checked in at No. 4, behind Tampa Bay’s Nikita Kucherov, Florida’s Matthew Tkachuk, and Colorado’s Mikko Rantanen. Captain and Stanley Cup champion Brad Marchand came in at No. 18, one spot ahead of Washington’s Alex Ovechkin . . . Speaking of Ovechkin, he’s just 42 goals shy of bumping Wayne Gretzky (894) off the top spot on the all-time list. Ovechkin reached 42 as recently as two seasons ago and it would come as no surprise for the electric winger to come out laser focused this season . . . And speaking of Gretzky, one stat that gets forgotten but always amazes is that if you took away all the Great One’s goals, he would still be the NHL’s all-time leading point getter with 1,963 assists (just ahead of Jaromir Jagr’s 1,921 points) . . . Auston Matthews said he was “honored and humbled” to be named Maple Leafs captain — the first American to wear the “C” for the storied franchise. John Tavares, Toronto’s captain for the last five seasons, made a classy gesture out of what could have been an awkward situation by calling Matthews with the news of the switch in leadership. “I was, like, shaking,” Matthews said at his introductory news conference. “I had the chills.” Tavares told reporters the move “will allow Auston to fully embrace the leader that he is and have an even greater impact on our team.” . . . The Sabres, Blackhawks, Kraken, Lightning, and Utah Hockey Club (get off the pot and pick a name!) have yet to name captains for the 2024-25 season . . . This unabashed Jack Edwards fan will miss his distinctive style but also is looking forward to the start of Judd Sirott era on NESN. Sirott’s radio calls the last seven seasons were nothing short of sublime . . . The Bruins, TD Garden, and the Salvation Army gave away 3,000 backpacks full of supplies in their annual “Back to School Celebration” (sorry kids, sorry teachers) this past week . . . Bold (and clever) move by Blues GM Doug Armstrong to sign a pair of Oilers (defenseman Philip Broberg and forward Dylan Holloway) to offer sheets. The Oilers, who need to sign stars Leon Draisaitl (this summer) and Connor McDavid (next), will be hard-pressed to match the offers to Broberg (two years, $4.58 million annually) and Holloway (two years, $2.29 million annually) . . . Non-hockey nugget: The Francis Ouimet Scholarship Fund continued its 75th anniversary celebration with an outing at George Wright Golf Course this past week. Since 1996, the Fund has partnered with George Wright and Franklin Park to provide underserved communities the chance to earn a college scholarship. For 28 years, a total of 175 scholars from these courses have received more than $2.4 million in need-based college scholarships from the Ouimet Fund . . . Looking to boost the cardio in anticipation of fall hockey league tryouts? Check out the Malden Irish American Road Race (5 and 10K) on Labor Day. You’ll get in a good sweat, and all proceeds will benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Head to runsignup.com for more information.

Jim McBride can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him @globejimmcbride.
Show 15 comments

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I just saw the Elias Lindholm stuff on twitter and am pumped.

I think Poitras starts in Providence this season. There is also nothing wrong if he does either.
Well we won’t be getting Laine

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Nice pick up for that trash team, basically free plus a second
I got the Bruins winning the Cup but it will be a bit bittersweet without playing Montreal

Toronto round 1 is a given although with the Bruins added toughness and Mason Lohrei developing into a star I will give Leafs a game

Round 2 they wipe out Florida in 4

I didn’t realize their defense is rated 24th overall

the Cup clinching game better be at home or I’ll be pissed

Maybe if they can spot a loss Monty will let his kid do the lineups again and get the Cup-clincher at TD Garden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad