Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
With the rumors leading up to the trade being that it was going to come down to Staios meeting Sweeneys “high” asking price, I’m dying to know who caved in this situation.

Was this return from Ottawa the “high price” Sweeney was hardlining for?

Or did Sweeney cave and take what Staios was offering?
Donny probably took the best deal when linus didnt wanna sign extension in Ottawa.

Reactions: Quinby8

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Nah, Donny has an obssesive compulsive disorder in hoarding junk players. He forgot to take his pills yesterday and thought nobody would notice it.
Yea like he signed cast away Danton at 750 k last year and the guy put 18 goals. Signed jvr for a million and got 40 points out of him. Signed geekie at 2 million and he had a career year. The guy is clueless.

Reactions: ON3M4N and bruins19

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Kastelic is decent, big dude who isn't as slow as people think, very physical and will drop the gloves, not a good fighter though. The fans will definitely like him. Fingers crossed that they are buying out Korpisalo, if not, Sweeney has made an absolutely terrible trade.
He’s a younger version of Pat Maroon

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Staios front office meeting

Staios “ so the bruins called. Ullmark is on the table. He’ll waive to come here, but not looking like we can get a long term extension signed at this time. We can work on it once he’s here, or flip him at the deadline if we can’t figure something out. Worst case he helps us make the playoffs this year and then walks.

Problem is we really need to move Korpisalo. He’s an anchor, we may need to buy him out. Do me a favor and call around to other teams and find out if anyone will take him for a first. Meanwhile I’ll try to figure out what the cost is to acquire Ullmark.”

Staios “ Hey Don, we are definitely interested in exploring what it would cost to get Ullmark here. On our end we need to make room and want to move Korpisalo and a 1st round pi——“

Don “Yea sure that return works for us”

Staios “……you want Korpisalo and a 1st….for Ullmark? It’s the 25th pick to clarify”

Don “ yea unless you think that’s too much of an ask?”

Staios “…. Well uh no actually it’s a tough call for us but since I’m new and trying to set up some good relationships with my fellow GMs, tell you what, I’ll retain 25% and throw in a guy you’ve never heard of too”

Don “wow Steve you really didn’t have to do that. Thanks and I’ll remember this. Faxing over the paperwork now”
we're doing fan fiction now?

Reactions: PepeBostones

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Problem is that this is supposed to be a thin draft class so there probably won't be many slam-dunk good prospects available at 25.
I'm not expecting a guy at #25 that will be plugged into the lineup right away but Boston has only had 2 1st round picks ( Beecher in 2019 and Lysell in 2021 ) in the last 6 NHL drafts so Sweeney really needs to start adding some good future talent. :nod:

Sweeney will probably reach for some guy projected to go late in the second or third round anyways lol :P
We call that " Senyshyning the pick ". :(

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
As always, a garbage take. They make more money when they win more playoff games. Exponentially. None of this is because they’re cheap.

Where did I use the word ''cheap?" They are greedy but that's business and another story. Adding more, narrower seats, not fixing the ice plant....
You're right, they are cheap!

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
All valid.

Everyone, myself included, got imaginative with the rumors and came to expect some kind of massive haul. The truth is, Sweeney got some cap relief, a first rounder (which is now somehow shit even though a third rounder for Peeke was unconscionable lol), and a bottom 6 player who is big, physical and a decent skater.

It was underwhelming to see in part because the expectations got unrealistically ginned up.
I appreciate what you are trying to do here, really I do. But even without the rumor hype, this is a poor deal for Boston. The entire goal for moving Ullmark in the first place was cap room to be used at 1c or to replace DeBrusk and get back into the first round. What we got was moving our best goaltender since Rask to a division rival for a playoff spot next season for 2 million in cap room, a boat anchor, and a 4th liner. Keeping Linus until the TDL and trying again OR at worst as an own rental next year would have pissed off the fans less and guaranteed a better record.

As of right now, is Boston a better team after this trade than before? No, they are not.
Is Ottawa? Yes, they are.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
This is a trade that will either look really bad, or absolutely brilliant in a years time.

Knee-jerk reaction is that it's really bad, but maybe Linus craps out in Ottawa, and maybe Goalie Bob works his magic on Joonas. With the cap going up 3 million for a backup does not seem like horrible money, certainly wouldn't have been able to keep Linus for that much.

I would have rather rolled the dice on Bussi though, and traded Linus for different assets (i.e. not a goalie).

Trade line on that pick is just wild. (From Boston, via. Detroit. via. Ottawa)

Sweeney traded a 30 year old former Vezina winning goalie with one year left on his contract who was not likely to re-sign for...

- an erratic 30-year goalie (9 months younger) with 4 years left on his contract
- a 4th line grinder
- their own pick that they traded away for Bertuizzi at last years trade deadline.

here's hoping Goalie Bob can work his magic, cause right now...

woof.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Okay, for the sake of what's left of my sanity I'm going to chill and realize that it is what it is and see how the next few weeks go. I've taken some shots at Sweeney, rightfully or wrongfully so. Going to reserve full judgement until
this all plays out.
I'm not. I don't trust Sweeney to spin this straw into gold. Yet even if he somehow does that with another deal he would at best be just miraculously breaking even.

You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Sweeney should have folded this hand and blamed it on the extension not getting hammered out. Instead he is trying to take the pot with a pair of twos.

Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Disappointing.

When I had heard yesterday that Linus wasn't willing to sign an extension with Ottawa, my immediate thought was okay, move on to plan B.

I didn't think this was plan B. I thought there were other options out there, not that I knew that as fact, I just assumed.

Obviously, it would have been better for the Bruins had Linus been willing to sign. But it was his right and he earned it.

I just don't think the Bruins should have accepted this offer. I'm fine with the 25th pick and Kastelic for what he is.

Even if Linus had signed, the Bruins would have had to take back $4 million in salary to make it work for Ottawa. But I just don't understand Korpi. Not at all. I just have to assume they have a plan.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
How would you feel about the summer if this off-season nets...

Ullmark - 1st
Bussi - 2nd/3rd

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Coyle - Lysell
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Beecher - Kastelic - Brazeau
X: Heinen

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke
X:Wotherspoon, Mitchell

Swayman, Korpisalo
Again, the 1st and Kastelic premise was fine. Taking on Korpisalo without any sweetner was just gross malfeasance and lazy. You could have played it tougher with Linus and wait him out. He is a very good goalie so even if you keep him you're better off

I like most of your lineup, I don't like Lysell there, Zadorov and Heinen as a 13 at one mil is fine. Get me a guy like Sprong instead of Lysell and a cheaper LD and I think they are set

I would much rather be taking the abuse I would have gotten had Ottawa not been in the mix than this trade to be honest.

Maybe cooler heads will prevail?
Yeah I mean you did call Ottawa on it and things change as the deal materializes.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Disappointing.

When I had heard yesterday that Linus wasn't willing to sign an extension with Ottawa, my immediate thought was okay, move on to plan B.

I didn't think this was plan B. I thought there were other options out there, not that I knew that as fact, I just assumed.

Obviously, it would have been better for the Bruins had Linus been willing to sign. But it was his right and he earned it.

I just don't think the Bruins should have accepted this offer. I'm fine with the 25th pick and Kastelic for what he is.

Even if Linus had signed, the Bruins would have had to take back $4 million in salary to make it work for Ottawa. But I just don't understand Korpi. Not at all. I just have to assume they have a plan.
Exactly where I am at. If the plan is to buy him out then the deal is even somehow worse than it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad