Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Really hope it was phase 1 of a multiphase trade plan.

Seriously, what team could be interested in Korpisalo and this contract? I am no gm but everybody with half their brain knew that the Jack Campell and Korpisalo contracts were huge blunders right when they were signed. Sweeney just took one of this blunders without getting anything of value back.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Korpi is a 3 M backup right now

I’d assume he will be the veteran NHL goalie they would have gone out and got

I’d assume if everyone’s healthy and Bussi is good in camp he’s out on waivers for the purpose of going to AHL where I believe they save 1 or 1.2 M against cap

I’d assume he won’t suck behind the Bruins D and system - as well as working with their staff: Bob & Mike Dunham

They could retain 25% and whoever is interested he’s 2 M

However, they needed a veteran NHL goalie in system and they got one

I was hoping Forsberg because anyone understands Ottawa roster knew they had to get a goalie going back

When they signed Ullmark 4/20 M July 1 2021 Sweeney should be fired all over threads anyone can go read

The other side of coin

1. Love getting 25OA …..I follow hockey for fun and I’m going to go get my iced coffee in 5 minutes and start focusing when I get back on multi draft guides (Red Line, The Greeks, what @LouJersey sends me lol - and the voluminous stuff by Pronman & Wheeler in Athletic, & HN Draft Guide & McKenzie tonight) I’ll become an amateur expert in 20-40 assuming they don’t go Bergeron or Lohrei on me I’ve never heard of

2. Kastelic - I watched his dad play many games live so I knew within 5 minutes first time I saw him who he was

I took a pretty good deep dine on him last night - very surprised he’s such a high end FO guy over last 3 seasons

He’s a right shot who can play RW and C
I watched all his fights - clearly has balls he fights the toughest and he holds own and wins - he hits

I’d assume (there’s that word again) he’s 4th line RW and probably???? Bad news for Maroon - Kastelic is 10 + years younger

Hopefully doesn’t cut out Boqvist shouldn’t

Kastelic is 6’4, right shot, strong on FO, will drop them a lot - and cheap

I get the add upon future deep review

3. Korpisalo - thankfully they got 25% retained - 4 M is a nightmare, 3 M is a restless night of sleep

If he’s their insurance policy in AHL he could get claimed and we all cried for nothing or for a season he’s a 2 M cap hit for insurance

I don’t think a 3 M backup G who has played well coming from a shit show that got everyone fired is the reason the Big Bad Bruins should blow up the organization and won’t make the playoffs

To Sunmarize

I’m very very very happy they have a freaking pick

I’m very good with Kastelic as a 4L RW/C

Korpi at 3 M is not Jack Campbell contract or more important counted on as anything more then reclamation project and insurance

Chill folks
Korpi is a 3 M backup right now

I’d assume he will be the veteran NHL goalie they would have gone out and got

I’d assume if everyone’s healthy and Bussi is good in camp he’s out on waivers for the purpose of going to AHL where I believe they save 1 or 1.2 M against cap

I’d assume he won’t suck behind the Bruins D and system - as well as working with their staff: Bob & Mike Dunham

They could retain 25% and whoever is interested he’s 2 M

However, they needed a veteran NHL goalie in system and they got one

I was hoping Forsberg because anyone understands Ottawa roster knew they had to get a goalie going back

When they signed Ullmark 4/20 M July 1 2021 Sweeney should be fired all over threads anyone can go read

The other side of coin

1. Love getting 25OA …..I follow hockey for fun and I’m going to go get my iced coffee in 5 minutes and start focusing when I get back on multi draft guides (Red Line, The Greeks, what @LouJersey sends me lol - and the voluminous stuff by Pronman & Wheeler in Athletic, & HN Draft Guide & McKenzie tonight) I’ll become an amateur expert in 20-40 assuming they don’t go Bergeron or Lohrei on me I’ve never heard of

2. Kastelic - I watched his dad play many games live so I knew within 5 minutes first time I saw him who he was

I took a pretty good deep dine on him last night - very surprised he’s such a high end FO guy over last 3 seasons

He’s a right shot who can play RW and C
I watched all his fights - clearly has balls he fights the toughest and he holds own and wins - he hits

I’d assume (there’s that word again) he’s 4th line RW and probably???? Bad news for Maroon - Kastelic is 10 + years younger

Hopefully doesn’t cut out Boqvist shouldn’t

Kastelic is 6’4, right shot, strong on FO, will drop them a lot - and cheap

I get the add upon future deep review

3. Korpisalo - thankfully they got 25% retained - 4 M is a nightmare, 3 M is a restless night of sleep

If he’s their insurance policy in AHL he could get claimed and we all cried for nothing or for a season he’s a 2 M cap hit for insurance

I don’t think a 3 M backup G who has played well coming from a shit show that got everyone fired is the reason the Big Bad Bruins should blow up the organization and won’t make the playoffs

To Sunmarize

I’m very very very happy they have a freaking pick

I’m very good with Kastelic as a 4L RW/C

Korpi at 3 M is not Jack Campbell contract or more important counted on as anything more then reclamation project and insurance

Chill folks

I like Kastelic, a 4th line of him, Beecher and Lauko will be fun to watch, fast and physical. He will quickly become a fan favorite here. I am also fine with the draft pick, what I hate is the Korpisalo acquisition. With Swayman about to get paid somewhere between 7-8 million the Bruins cannot be paying a goalie coming off a terrible year 3 mil a year on a long term contract as a backup. I guess they don't think much of Bussi. I really hope that they buy Korps out or can flip him somewhere to limit the damage. The Sens have somehow managed over the last few years to unload the horrific goalie contracts of Korps and Matt Murray.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is a trade that will either look really bad, or absolutely brilliant in a years time.

Knee-jerk reaction is that it's really bad, but maybe Linus craps out in Ottawa, and maybe Goalie Bob works his magic on Joonas. With the cap going up 3 million for a backup does not seem like horrible money, certainly wouldn't have been able to keep Linus for that much.

I would have rather rolled the dice on Bussi though, and traded Linus for different assets (i.e. not a goalie).

Trade line on that pick is just wild. (From Boston, via. Detroit. via. Ottawa)

Sweeney traded a 30 year old former Vezina winning goalie with one year left on his contract who was not likely to re-sign for...

- an erratic 30-year goalie (9 months younger) with 4 years left on his contract
- a 4th line grinder
- their own pick that they traded away for Bertuizzi at last years trade deadline.

here's hoping Goalie Bob can work his magic, cause right now...

woof.

Assumed the goalie returning had 1 year left as well.

4 years!?

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
I'll be honest, I'm still stunned by this trade this morning.. pretty close to the same feeling I had 2 years ago when we went all in and got eliminated by Florida

Reactions: Gordoff and Pato610

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I’ll take a 3 M backup coming from a shit show who behind Bruins D is .915+ SV % as long as it gets me 25 OA
should've gotten two 1sts. one for ullmark, one for korpisalo's contract. at the very least a 2nd rounder on top of 25/kastelic/korpi.

i do think korpisalo will be fine in boston, likely much better. but you bend the other team over if you're taking him...that's the issue.

oh well. draft will be fun.

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Some people are trying way to hard to justify this trade. I'm not a Sweeney hater, but I hate this trade, didn't dare listen to Ottawa TSN radio this morning, I can hear the laughter from miles away. The last time I remember Sens fans being this overjoyed with a trade was when they unloaded Matt Murray to TO. Pretty embarrassing seeing Sweeney get taken to the cleaners by a rookie GM.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Korpi had a great year in LA, and some very good years in CBS.
1. he doesn't have to be the man. the weight of that contract on a bad team.
2. much better D
3.Goalie Bob Essensa is a miracle worker and a goalie whisperer

Reactions: goldenblack

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
People are losing sight of the fact that Ullmark would not come to terms on an extension or talk to OTT about it. That diminishes the return quite a bit. Happens at the trade deadline, all the time.
If they flip Korpi, then they get most of their cap room back.
They added a young faceoff man with grit(which they don't have in the AHL)

Guentzel is the guy I want.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I’ll take a 3 M backup coming from a shit show who behind Bruins D is .915+ SV % as long as it gets me 25 OA
That’s fine. His contract was terrible. They couldn’t give him away yet the bruins took him for free. Just an awful job by Sweeney and company. The point was to have a sub million dollar backup and and spend real money on real talent

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
No. They didn’t get proper assets for Ullmark. They got a first for taking a bad contract. They got a plug for Ullmark. Who cares what goalie Bib might be able to do. Plus, what make atou think our defense will help Korprisalo. They didn’t help out two goalies. It was the other way around. They have no defensive structure! f***. Stupid ass trade.

What's the proper assets for a a guy like Ullmark? I saw MAF win a Vezina and the get traded for a no name prospect who wasn't even in NA anymore. 6 months later he was traded again for a 2nd round pick.

It doesn't sound like Ullmark is signing an extension in Ottawa anytime soon. So, what's the going rate for a starting goalie whose possibly a 1yr rental?

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What's the proper assets for a a guy like Ullmark? I saw MAF win a Vezina and the get traded for a no name prospect who wasn't even in NA anymore. 6 months later he was traded again for a 2nd round pick.

It doesn't sound like Ullmark is signing an extension in Ottawa anytime soon. So, what's the going rate for a starting goalie whose possibly a 1yr rental?

You don’t see many trades where a team gives up the best player and takes on the worst contract. Unless they are a rebuilding team. Bruins are not that so it’s a bit perplexing.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
This has quantity over quality stamped all over it, and the B's got the quantity. This is remincient of the Thornton and Sequin trades. How did they turn out for Boston. A good opportunity to add a meaningful piece to the puzzle and mgmt screws up. Even if you say, you can't get much for a goaltender, then throw something in to get that valuable piece. Heart breaking.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Thought on this some more. One year of Ullmark really did limit the return here. I still feel like we should have got an extra pick or something but it is what it is.

Korpisalo if he stays I think will be a decent backup and have a better year with our team structure (look at LA numbers vs OTT numbers). If so, 3 mil is not terrible for a backup and some insurance in the event Swayman can't handle a heavy load. If he sucks we bury him in the AHL. The combined Swayman/Korpisalo tandem $$ is more than I would have liked to spend though.

Korpisalo if we move him. Say we get a 3rd rounder for him with no retention, so it was a 1st, 3rd and Kastelic for 1 year of Ullmark. Not bad.

1st rounder. Glad we got one back, being empty for this draft was going to be rough. So we can draft someone or use it in another trade.

Kastelic don't really care, I hope he wins me over.

If Ullmark signs an extension, ouch ouch ouch.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I guess I don't care about "winning trades" as its own sport, as much as I do about building the team.

Like the Peeke deal, they needed his crease clearing game on the roster so they spent to get him.

They needed to deal Ullmark - to clear space and because he's got maybe 40 more games in him for Boston. They turned those 40ish games into a 1st rounder and a youngish physical center who's great on faceoffs (another team need). Maybe a veteran backup too.

But I get that nothing can compete with imaginationland (remember when it was Konecny coming back?) and it pisses people off when reality doesn't line up with their imagined hopes.

Yup
You literally took one of the worst contracts in hockey for nothing. Kastelic is fine for what he does, but again he’s a fourth liner who they wanted out. You needed to deal Ullmark? Why now exactly? Was June 25th the day he evaporated? To clear space? The difference is a net one million dollars since Bussi was posed to be the backup.

I didn’t buy into the konecny or Chychrun stuff. A decent prospect and a 1 is what I wanted. Not a terrible contract.

Also with Peeke come on. He couldn’t suit up for one of the worst teams in the NHL It’s ok to criticize your GM and still be a fan, I promise

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ullmark didn’t extend didn’t approve anywhere else

He had one spot

Noel Accari has a no trade
Good row no trade

Korpi as a backup value is higher then 1 M maybe not 3 M but if he ends in Boston I’m betting he’s playing very well

Reactions: goldenblack

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Disappointing.

When I had heard yesterday that Linus wasn't willing to sign an extension with Ottawa, my immediate thought was okay, move on to plan B.

I didn't think this was plan B. I thought there were other options out there, not that I knew that as fact, I just assumed.

Obviously, it would have been better for the Bruins had Linus been willing to sign. But it was his right and he earned it.

I just don't think the Bruins should have accepted this offer. I'm fine with the 25th pick and Kastelic for what he is.

Even if Linus had signed, the Bruins would have had to take back $4 million in salary to make it work for Ottawa. But I just don't understand Korpi. Not at all. I just have to assume they have a plan.
This seems to be where everyone is. A 1st and Kastellic? Hoping for more but ok. But taking on the corpse of Korps and that contract? Why?? Makes no sense unless they are planning to flip him for another asset. Bizarre.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
should've gotten two 1sts. one for ullmark, one for korpisalo's contract. at the very least a 2nd rounder on top of 25/kastelic/korpi.

i do think korpisalo will be fine in boston, likely much better. but you bend the other team over if you're taking him...that's the issue.

This x one million

Reactions: Bodit9

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I’m GM of Sens and my team sucks I’m not giving 2 firsts

Ullmark isn’t even a extended

Ullmark said Ottawa or here

Reactions: The don godfather
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad