Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

StonedZboril

Jul 8, 2022
Sway at 8 million is insane! 2-3 year at 5 mill or 6 mill until he proves himself with the higher workload
What’re you talking about? Tuukka Rask before the 2013-14 season signed an 8 year 56 million dollar contract. At the time 7 million was 10.8% of the cap. The cap was set to 64.3 million dollars that year. The equivalent deal in 24-25 would be 8 years 76.6 million or 9.58 million AAV. Tuukka at that point had never started more than 45 games in a season. Granted Tuuk’s number’s were even better but that was a time when teams scored almost a goal less per game. 8 million AAV is not absurd at all for Swayman. It would’ve been the equivalent of Tuukk’s or a somewhat similar goalie making 5.84 million in 2013.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think youre in for a shock.
I hear you but my question is......why would we take back a 3 million dollar back up if we knew Swayman was going to be 8+?

Giving a guy 8 million who has only played half a workload is insane! Saros plays 67 64 and 64 the last three seasons. Swayman 41 38 and 44

Reactions: BBruins

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Saros from age 25-29 he was 5 M contract

There is 0.0 comp in Swayman & Saros

Check out games, age etc

By this Swayman is 5 M

But because I love him and he’s adorable I’ll throw rationality out window and 8x7.5 M

But really he’s 5.25 X 3 or 4 but I’m ok losing my mind especially when I search of the archives here his draft day shows moi as identifying him as a top target- really the only one who wanted him other then PB37

#DKHonfire

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think ( hope) its somewhere around 7M. Anything under is a discount. 8 and above is alarming.
But that me.Bottom line is % of Cap. Now and forward. The market resets every year.

Thanks. If first number starts with a 7 and is for 8 years I'm happy to have him locked up and can focus on the C and scoring problem. His D core is set in front of him, no need to add a penny there.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I hear you but my question is......why would we take back a 3 million dollar back up if we knew Swayman was going to be 8+?

Giving a guy 8 million who has only played half a workload is insane! Saros plays 67 64 and 64 the last three seasons. Swayman 41 38 and 44

Boy this is a blender of a question(s).

Here goes.
The 3 million back up has nothing to do withSwaymans contract. It had to do with making that deal for a first and player. It can also be manipulated.

Swayman has proven to be the number 1. Hes last man sanding. Young. An all star. And you must purchase UFA years as part of any deal as well as lockout protection.

@StonedZboril gave a great example of what Tuukka got years ago. The market changes.
You have to look at that and again % of Cap . Not necessarily the dollar figure.

He is today a 7 M goalie. Unless he wants to go shorter term and into UFA and bet on being a 10M goalie as Cap goes up.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Well I didn’t say nothing. Did they get younger? Way younger. They also added McDonagh. I can’t argue with a team that has won 2 Stanley Cups and 1 finals appearance in the past 5 years.
Way younger? They added 10 years going from Sergachev to McDonagh. They gave Jeannot away after trading a whole draft class for him. Guentzel is 30 in October. And they’re jettisoning the face of the franchise and a guy who’s been a warrior for them for a decade plus.

And if you can’t argue with them since they have successful freely, I guess everything they do is above reproach?

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I think youre in for a shock.
I doubt it!
If Swayman is feeling pressure now, just imagine how much he'll feel after signing for 8M a yr, with this crazy fanbase.
The masses will be calling for his head, the first time he has a bad game or two!.
It will be a pressure cooker throughout his contract, you can book it!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I doubt it!
If Swayman is feeling pressure now, just imagine how much he'll feel after signing for 8M a yr, with this crazy fanbase.
The masses will be calling for his head, the first time he has a bad game or two!.
He’d have 64M reasons to be pretty chill about it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
FYI

Swayman let in a couple of soft goals and he was heckled - multiple people

If he’s going large he better be ready be unbelievable 95 % of the time

He is 3 or 4 years away of age and 60 + starts which is about 20 more then he has played

He can get 8.25 M in 3 years and 3 All Star Vezina type years

I think it’s crazy talk

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
AFP Analytics shows their comps for their projected contract estimates.

They project Swayman to sign for 5yrs @ 6.5M AAV. I think most would agree that this estimate seems low, but here are the comps they used:

John Gibson 8yrs ; 6.4M
Connor Hellebuyck 6yrs ; 6.17M
Igor Shesterkin 4yrs ; 5.67M
Thatcher Demko 5yrs ; 5.0M

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Way younger? They added 10 years going from Sergachev to McDonagh. They gave Jeannot away after trading a whole draft class for him. Guentzel is 30 in October. And they’re jettisoning the face of the franchise and a guy who’s been a warrior for them for a decade plus.

And if you can’t argue with them since they have successful freely, I guess everything they do is above reproach?
You see the two young prospects they got? Come on. They recovered two picks from Jeannot. It was a bad trade. What did we get back for all of our traded draft picks last year? Yes a first round exit. I would do it again if the same situation happened. Plus every team makes mistakes. They just make better moves and win more. Facts are facts.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt it!
Boom

You freaking nailed it

if he goes for it all he better not be soft

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Sway at 8 million is insane! 2-3 year at 5 mill or 6 mill until he proves himself with the higher workload
This is one of the worst takes I've read in a long time lol. A. He's already proved himself. He was lights out through 2 rounds in the playoffs. Not his fault the team in front of hi couldn't score enough. B. We already insulted him once with the arbitration last summer. Giving him a 2 year extension guartentees he walks at the conclusion of that. Terrible asset management.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
AFP Analytics shows their comps for their projected contract estimates.

They project Swayman to sign for 5yrs @ 6.5M AAV. I think most would agree that this estimate seems low, but here are the comps they used:

John Gibson 8yrs ; 6.4M
Connor Hellebuyck 6yrs ; 6.17M
Igor Shesterkin 4yrs ; 5.67M
Thatcher Demko 5yrs ; 5.0M

Let's assume cap going up and tack on $1,000,000 to all those comps and I'd be happy at any of those numbers. 7.4, 7.17. 6.67, 6.0 are all great but add another 500k for the 8 year deal.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Getting excited for tomorrow.

Maybe a touch worried. Possibly frisky. But that might just be hungry.
In any case I’m sure everyone will agree on what the Bruins do with their day without complaint.
Probably

Reactions: sarge88

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Let's assume cap going up and tack on $1,000,000 to all those comps and I'd be happy at any of those numbers. 7.4, 7.17. 6.67, 6.0 are all great but add another 500k for the 8 year deal.
folks keep saying when the cap goes up, Doesn't mean just give the space away

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I doubt it!

I wont be…..nobody puts a gun to anyone’s head to do a contract. To me that stuff is sports radio rabble rousing. Meaningless to me.

No different than saying - hey if he signs for 3 million he can be sieve. No problem.

Bullshit to me.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Sway is a competitor. I very much doubt he’s worried that signing a big deal will expose him to pressure from fanbase.

Karpisalo is not a viable #1 on any NHL team at present and goalie Bob is not a miracle maker. Hopefully he can make Karpisolo adequate or better. Over vast majority of past five years hes been utterly inadequate. Fingers crossed.

Sways current team values Karpisalo at $3M. Sway is worth a shit ton more than that. We weren’t taking on Karpisalo for a top 10 pick and Swayman isn’t responsible for that.

Bruins took Sway to arbitration. Clearly that was a bitter experience. Sway then delivered with a Capital D. Showed Bruins and arbitrator that he was right and they were wrong (btw, because of Cap, Bruins had no choice, but Swayman is probably done eating shit because of salary choices and signings that he’s not responsible for).

Linus is gone. Without Sway we have Bussi or Karpisalo as number one G. Everyone in League knows that at present that without Sway, we are a lottery team.

Bruins better spend money tomorrow very carefully. If Sway goes to arbitration because Boston has spent like a drunken sailor we are screwed.

My take from this? Swayman has more leverage than me with a crowbar in front of a Jenga tower of blocks.

Pray Swayman is reasonable. Pray hard.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: