Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins players fighting for bottom 6 spots:

Frederic, Geekie, Poitras, Beecher, Brazeau, Kastelic, Merkulov, Lysell, Kuntar, and Boqvist (RFA)

Bruins need to focus on building their top 6F.

I just pissed myself Laughing so hard over

Oh that just warms my heart
Seriously that sucks - never happened to me hopefully never do

Freddy needs to go so we can sign Cam Atkinson, another shrewd move by Sweeney to wait for Philly to buy him out so he did need to give an asset, probably would have been Beecher or Loheri.
How tall is Atkinson ? Is he the little guy who played for BC?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I feel like Lysell and Poitras should have to push their way into the lineup, play at a level that makes them have to stay, like Krejci and Marchand did. I’m not penciling them into the lineup, I want proven talent in our top 6.
I agree with that philosophy but I also don't want to get stuck spending tons of money on middle6 wingers with term. The types of guys that sign for $5m or less aren't much better than Heinen. And it makes it hard for young guys to break in when they have to unseat someone making real money.

So, I guess I'm saying I'd be cautious about that 2nd line wing add in free agency. I would rather shop from the bargain bin and take a chance on another Geekie or JVR than spend a lot for a guy who's going to get 45 points.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with that philosophy but I also don't want to get stuck spending tons of money on middle6 wingers with term. The types of guys that sign for $5m or less aren't much better than Heinen. And it makes it hard for young guys to break in when they have to unseat someone making real money.

So, I guess I'm saying I'd be cautious about that 2nd line wing add in free agency. I would rather shop from the bargain bin and take a chance on another Geekie or JVR than spend a lot for a guy who's going to get 45 points.

Wonder if tomorrow once the QO deadline has passed will another Geekie shake loose. A guy who is 24-25 and still has potential.

Geekie was IMO one of the best UFA signings last summer of any team.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022

Agree in general. Which is why I’d be looking to spend big on Guentzel or Stamkos. I want sure things. Spend more and get more.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Would anyone here consider trading Frederic while his value is at a high? He will need a new contract after this year and will likely get more than the Bruins will want to pay. Could get a player, or picks back and opens up room to sign someone like Toffoli or Stamkos, or Stephenson. Just curious if anyone feels it might be the right time to overhaul the roster a bit?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If I’m Donny not handing anything over to Merk, Fabian, or Poitras

Removing them and making them take a spot

Zacha- Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Geekie
Heinen - Frederic- Brazeau
Beecher - Boqvist- Kastelic

Lysell (waiver eligible)
Poitras (waiver eligible)
Merkulov (waiver eligible)

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Based on AFPAnalytics' estimated contract projections, here's what some of the notable free agents *may* be looking at...

Term (Years)
AAV $ *
Victor Arvidsson​
3​
5M​
Cam Atkinson​
1​
2M​
Alexander Barabanov​
1​
1.2M​
Tyson Barrie​
1​
1.8M​
Anthony Beauvillier​
1​
960k​
Tyler Bertuzzi​
4​
5.5M​
Jesper Boqvist
2​
1.5M​
Alexandre Carrier​
3​
4.2M​
Calvin de Haan​
2​
1.8M​
Jake DeBrusk
5​
6.1M​
Brenden Dillon​
2​
3M​
Max Domi​
2​
3.7M​
Jonathan Drouin​
4​
5.2M​
Matt Duchene​
3​
5M​
Anthony Duclair​
3​
4.5M​
Brandon Duhaime​
3​
1.9M​
Joel Edmundson​
2​
1.8M​
Warren Foegele​
3​
4M​
Derek Forbort
1​
1.3M​
Shayne Gostisbehere​
3​
5.2M​
Matt Grzelcyk
3​
3.3M​
Jake Guentzel​
7​
9.6M​
Jani Hakanpää​
1​
1.6M​
Danton Heinen
3​
3M​
Patrick Kane​
2​
6.5M​
Elias Lindholm​
5​
7M​
Anthony Mantha​
3​
5M​
Jonathan Marchessault​
3​
6.5M​
Pat Maroon
1​
1.2M​
Matt Martin​
1​
900k​
Alec Martinez​
1​
1.3M​
Marc McLaughlin
1​
850k​
Sean Monahan​
4​
5.5M​
Brandon Montour​
6​
8M​
Stefan Noesen​
3​
3.3M​
Tomas Nosek​
1​
800k​
Tanner Pearson​
1​
1.2M​
David Perron​
2​
3M​
Sam Reinhart​
8​
11.6M​
Jack Roslovic​
3​
3.1M​
Matt Roy​
5​
6M​
Marco Scandella​
1​
1.1M​
Justin Schultz​
2​
2.5M​
Kevin Shattenkirk
1​
1.5M​
Brady Skjei​
5​
7.7M​
Daniel Sprong​
3​
4.2M​
Steven Stamkos​
3​
6.5M​
Troy Stecher​
1​
1.1M​
Chandler Stephenson​
5​
5.8M​
Ryan Suter​
1​
1.8M​
Jeremy Swayman
5​
6.8M​
Vladimir Tarasenko​
2​
4.3M​
Tomas Tatar​
1​
1.7M​
Teuvo Teräväinen​
4​
5.5M​
Tyler Toffoli​
4​
6.3M​
Yakov Trenin​
3​
2.7M​
James van Riemsdyk
1​
1.2M​
Jakub Vrána​
1​
900k​
Sean Walker​
3​
4.8M​
Alexander Wennberg​
4​
3.9M​
Nikita Zadorov​
5​
5.5M​
Jason Zucker​
2​
3.8M​

* AAVs factoring in Boston having high income tax.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Would anyone here consider trading Frederic while his value is at a high? He will need a new contract after this year and will likely get more than the Bruins will want to pay. Could get a player, or picks back and opens up room to sign someone like Toffoli or Stamkos, or Stephenson. Just curious if anyone feels it might be the right time to overhaul the roster a bit?

My opinion is , I try to sign Frederic to an extension ASAP, hopefully have one agreed to now. And hopefully no more than a 4s deal. If Frederic is not willing to sign, or is looking for something above that pricepoint, I would consider moving him, Assuming I could get a younger player slightly more cost controlled.

That said Frederic and his 2.3 million doesn't save you cap space for someone like Toffoli , Stamkos or Stephenson. If you deal him it opens another spot you have to replace and you will have a very hard time getting someone to replace him who is not a significant downgrade for less than you are paying him

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
My opinion is , I try to sign Frederic to an extension ASAP, hopefully have one agreed to now. And hopefully no more than a 4s deal. If Frederic is not willing to sign, or is looking for something above that pricepoint, I would consider moving him, Assuming I could get a younger player slightly more cost controlled.

That said Frederic and his 2.3 million doesn't save you cap space for someone like Toffoli , Stamkos or Stephenson. If you deal him it opens another spot you have to replace and you will have a very hard time getting someone to replace him who is not a significant downgrade for less than you are paying him
I agree it alone doesn't give you the space, but the extra space may allow for the additional signing. Frederic just seems to disappear for stretches (I guess a lot of players do), and I haven't seen the consistent physical play we used to see. If he isn't that player I would have a hard time paying him 4 plus million. That being said I do think he has decent value right now based on the cap hit, which is why I was wondering if now is the time to make a move.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Grzelcyk 3/9.9

Not surprised for Pure analytics. Heck if Gryz had a better year last year they'd have him closer to 4/20. His analytics have been o ff the charts. I will be interested to see what he gets. I know the story is he was hurt last year, and is healthy now. I could see some young analytic based team giving him the bag, given his analytics, experience, leadership. So 3/9.9 wouldn't shock me

As long as it isn't Boston. My offer would be 1 year veteran minimum to be the 7/8 defenseman

Reactions: Gordoff

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
without me looking it up (lazy saturday) ...when a guy gets bought out how much do they tend to get in their new contract when they are double dipping? I'm just wondering how much J. Skinner would get July 1 as a ballpark.

Reactions: sarge88

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Wonder if tomorrow once the QO deadline has passed will another Geekie shake loose. A guy who is 24-25 and still has potential.

Geekie was IMO one of the best UFA signings last summer of any team.
I think he was a nice sign, and I like taking a chance with more players that are similar. They all are not going to work out but they are nice hits when they do.

Reactions: BruinDust

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree it alone doesn't give you the space, but the extra space may allow for the additional signing. Frederic just seems to disappear for stretches (I guess a lot of players do), and I haven't seen the consistent physical play we used to see. If he isn't that player I would have a hard time paying him 4 plus million. That being said I do think he has decent value right now based on the cap hit, which is why I was wondering if now is the time to make a move.

It all depends on the return. If someone wants to give you a 2025 first, maybe? If someone wants to give you a 22 year old 3rd liner because they think Frederic can be a 2nd liner. I'll listen

If someone is offering a 2nd. and a B prospect, it's a short phone call

By the way I have a similar feeling on Geekie, although probably a bit less on my offer. Most likely I keep him, but if someone makes me the right offer I'll listen

In either case the replacement is likely Heinen and will cost you more next year

Reactions: KOZ37

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not surprised for Pure analytics. Heck if Gryz had a better year last year they'd have him closer to 4/20. His analytics have been o ff the charts. I will be interested to see what he gets. I know the story is he was hurt last year, and is healthy now. I could see some young analytic based team giving him the bag, given his analytics, experience, leadership. So 3/9.9 wouldn't shock me

As long as it isn't Boston. My offer would be 1 year veteran minimum to be the 7/8 defenseman
Bruins fans would be upset if they heard he was even in the building visiting his father or brother

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
It all depends on the return. If someone wants to give you a 2025 first, maybe? If someone wants to give you a 22 year old 3rd liner because they think Frederic can be a 2nd liner. I'll listen

If someone is offering a 2nd. and a B prospect, it's a short phone call

By the way I have a similar feeling on Geekie, although probably a bit less on my offer. Most likely I keep him, but if someone makes me the right offer I'll listen

In either case the replacement is likely Heinen and will cost you more next year
Him and Geekie should absolutely be considered to move, but only after mid season unless you have great offers now. They have low AAV contracts at 2.3 and 2.0 million per year, which are worth more in season for teams up against the cap but want to add talent/depth. They will both likely trend towards career years this year as they are looking to sign 4+ years on their next contracts.

Also good for us to wait and see how players in the system shape up or out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOZ37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad