Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I can't wait for deadline day. It's going to be pure chaos either way. No in-between. We're either going to be cup favorites or trying to tank the rest of the way
I love deadline day but I absolutely hate waiting until the last second to be disappointed that the Avs didn't make a big move to fill the giant crater at #2C. I want them to make that move at least a week prior AND as I've said in the past - overpayment if you have to but you can't NOT get it done.

Deadline day should be for addressing holes like #4C and maybe a depth d-man if that's a deal that you can make work cap-wise.

Can we possibly 'squeak by' and get to the finals with an addition like Wennberg or Henrique?? Yeah, it's possible but chances are, other GMs are putting their chips to the middle since the Avs aren't.

Davidson had no choice but to dump his 'meat-shield'... meanwhile, everybody knows he's been making hockey decisions and is just as responsible as Jarmo if not even moreso. Such a weird move to do at this time of year - they should have both been fired ages ago but since you have both - keep them until the end of the regular season and then you completely clean house, imo.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Davidson will have no excuse now, and I bet he's gone at season's end.
Gotta figure him and Jarmo had quite differing opinions on how to approach the deadline

Reactions: Alienblood

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You have to wonder if the interim or new GM for Columbus may be hesitant to make big moves.

If there was ever a chance for Jenner, I have to assume this has lowered the chances now. Doubtful the new GM wants to rock the boat early in his tenure before being able to assess.

Reactions: Avs44

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Interesting that Columbus waits until now.

Is it possible the Avs could benefit from waiting things out? If a lot of GMs are making moves early but then closer to the deadline more sellers emerge, that could shift the supply vs demand dynamic somewhat. Selling GMs will still be somewhat like landlords and won't go below a certain price no matter what the market says is fair but there might be fewer competitors at least.

Reactions: Alienblood

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Maybe they won't hire till end of season, it's only another 30 games or so. Maybe try to kick off the off season with as many assets as possible.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I love deadline day but I absolutely hate waiting until the last second to be disappointed that the Avs didn't make a big move to fill the giant crater at #2C. I want them to make that move at least a week prior AND as I've said in the past - overpayment if you have to but you can't NOT get it done.

Deadline day should be for addressing holes like #4C and maybe a depth d-man if that's a deal that you can make work cap-wise.

Can we possibly 'squeak by' and get to the finals with an addition like Wennberg or Henrique?? Yeah, it's possible but chances are, other GMs are putting their chips to the middle since the Avs aren't.
Wennberg… maybe? If he goes on a heater somehow I guess.

Henrique no shot. Dude hasn’t been a full time C in like 3/4 years.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
You have to wonder if the interim or new GM for Columbus may be hesitant to make big moves.

If there was ever a chance for Jenner, I have to assume this has lowered the chances now. Doubtful the new GM wants to rock the boat early in his tenure before being able to assess.
Yeah -- I don't think a new GM comes in and moves anyone of note, it just doesn't make sense. It's also a great way (if the trade turns out poorly within 1-2 seasons) to immediately lose the grace period afforded to new GMs and hasten your own firing. Expecting CBJ to have a very cautious deadline just moving out a couple vets/expiring contracts if anyone wants them. Unless Davidson wants to take the helm himself and really blow it up, I suppose.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yeah -- I don't think a new GM comes in and moves anyone of note, it just doesn't make sense. It's also a great way (if the trade turns out poorly within 1-2 seasons) to immediately lose the grace period afforded to new GMs and hasten your own firing. Expecting CBJ to have a very cautious deadline just moving out a couple vets/expiring contracts if anyone wants them. Unless Davidson wants to take the helm himself and really blow it up, I suppose.

Would not be surprised if big moves are made and possibly some for pennies on the dollar.

The timing of this suggests that ownership gave him this season to see if things start moving in a positive direction especially regarding certain moves. Pulling the plug becomes an indictment of various decisions and addressing some of them would, whether implicitly or explicitly, get the green light. The bigger issue is cap space for other teams.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Allen is going to cost something...and if RyJo is included (which would surprise me), we're going to be paying even more for the cap dump. Unless CMac got the Habs on some special juice?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Davidson will have no excuse now, and I bet he's gone at season's end.
Gotta figure him and Jarmo had quite differing opinions on how to approach the deadline

They were both on-board with the Babcock hiring (reportedly the owner wasn't), so that alone should make him a goner.

That said I think he might be staying. If the object was to clean house, he'd be gone like he was along with Gorton in New York. I'm guessing he'll be the guy making the hire of the next GM. No idea who that'll be.

Reactions: AslanRH

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Ryjo makes so much sense. Habs need to replace their 2C, can trade him at next year's deadline, and he and Allen have similar caphits for the 2 remaining years

Reactions: Balthazar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad