Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In Compher's defense IMO we get passed Seattle with Nuke in the lineup (even not 100% healthy) and Makar not being suspended. The rounds after that though might be another story......

Just one of them healthy and in the lineup and they get past Seattle IMO. Remember Cale was playing banged up too. He wasn't himself in the games he played, plus he missed one.

In the second round, they'd need a mostly healthy lineup, but I think Val would be the difference against his former team Dallas. I think he puts on a dominant performance and the Avs advance.

Only team I'm not sure the Avs beat with a healthy lineup last year is Vegas in the WCF, but who knows. The Avs definitely had the talent advantage, and the experience advantage of knowing what it takes to win, but the Knights played well, and had the hunger advantage having not won yet. Probably would have come down to goaltending.

If they get past Vegas, the way they handled Florida, I think a relatively healthy Avs team beats them to win the Cup again too, and most of the commentary here the last year is rendered moot.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If Byram can't figure out how to get his cocky swagger back, or at least look like he is still having fun playing hockey, you have to cut him loose.
I don't know if the injuries, his role, or Bednar zapped it out of him, but he was much better when he played with blind arrogance. Still made his mistakes, but it didn't seem to take his engagement out of the game like it does now.
Thats Pratt's coaching to a certain extent. The other is the Toews signing. It's worth keeping him as it's a contract year next year

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Just one of them healthy and in the lineup and they get past Seattle IMO. Remember Cale was playing banged up too. He wasn't himself in the games he played, plus he missed one.

In the second round, they'd need a mostly healthy lineup, but I think Val would be the difference against his former team Dallas. I think he puts on a dominant performance and the Avs advance.

Only team I'm not sure the Avs beat with a healthy lineup last year is Vegas in the WCF, but who knows. The Avs definitely had the talent advantage, and the experience advantage of knowing what it takes to win, but the Knights played well, and had the hunger advantage having not won yet. Probably would have come down to goaltending.

If they get past Vegas, the way they handled Florida, I think a relatively healthy Avs team beats them to win the Cup again too, and most of the commentary here the last year is rendered moot.
Embarrassing loss to Seatlle nonetheless

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You'll be deaf about 5 seconds after logging in.

Not sure about being deaf but certainly there'd be elevated anxiety. Having anxiety from constantly thinking about the possibility of being required to grab your battle axe and throw down is just being human.

Call it pre-traumatic stress syndrome if you want.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Thats Pratt's coaching to a certain extent. The other is the Toews signing. It's worth keeping him as it's a contract year next year
Was not expecting Byram’s decay in performance given what he was able to demonstrate the first year and half or so in the league. His disappointing play to me seems mental, we know he’s far too talented to be playing this timidly.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I don't think people get this... the last time Henrique was a full time center, Covid wasn't a thing. He takes some faceoffs and does a lot of defensive coverage things when with the top 6 guys. For about 1/3 of the season he was the pure center between Jones and Silfverberg. That line was a disaster offensively (but very good defensively). The bulk of his scoring has been on the wing with Carlsson and Terry... where he's doing the Landy thing.

He's a pure spot duty guy at center and hasn't stuck there in years because he can't handle the high workload while providing a 2 way game. He can be a good 3rd line guy, you just can't expect much offensively. Or he can be a guy who mainly plays wing but helps out weak defensive center in the top 6.
Not many here really want Henrique anyway but I agree with tou post 100%

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Was not expecting Byram’s decay in performance given what he was able to demonstrate the first year and half or so in the league. His disappointing play to me seems mental, we know he’s far too talented to be playing this timidly.

And this is fixable, and not entirely uncommon for a 22 year old defenseman.

Especially ones that have missed important NHL development time, with only 137 regular season games played.

I don't think he's played as bad as some think, but his drop in play this year could potentially just be akin to a sophomore slump.

He only had 91 games at the beginning of the year, only slightly more than one regular season's worth.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Any Crosby rumors?
mX3hK9w.gif

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
NBA GMs go all in and say "f*** the draft" routinely. You can do that in the NHL once you have established a great core. Florida does it with their 1sts.

Avs are just a conservative organization.
Fielding a team with five starters is a lot easier to add that “one piece.”

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I can't wait for deadline day. It's going to be pure chaos either way. No in-between. We're either going to be cup favorites or trying to tank the rest of the way

Reactions: Foppa2118
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad