Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm all for Lindholm being traded again. Imagine deadlines where the big names go a month early then get traded again (for much poorer returns) because they're actually all garbage. Absolute carnage. Get it done.

Me too. The All In Every Year GM's will shorten their contention window from 2-3 years to 1-2.

Avs will be sitting there with 5x the amount of shots at a Cup, with one already under their belt, and be the only team capable of a dynasty in the cap era.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This place would be over the moon about CMac going ALL IN for Lindholm and screaming about a Cup AFTER the trade. Not now.

Right now they'd realize they were wrong.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That's not what he's saying.

He's saying if CMac traded lots of assets for Lindholm and then a month later traded him for less or much less because he wasn't working out he'd be labeled a dumbass.
If he traded him off for a bit less, following Lindholm hypothetically not working out, as part of a hyper-aggressive strategy to bring in a new and better fit to grab a cup then no, I don't think we'd be labelling him a dumbass.

Also, it bears noting that up until just a week ago it seems that, from what we've learned now, the Canucks were serious about the prospect of having to trade Pettersson. Lindholm was a backup to that eventuality. But the ultimatum they gave Pettersson to re-sign or get traded to Carolina worked. Now, with Miller and Pettersson locked in, Lindholm's centre capabilities are less of a pressing need in Vancouver. Now they need a winger.

The added layer therefore, if the Canucks pull this off, is that they brought in Lindholm so that they could suffer losing Pettersson down the middle, arranged a trade of Pettersson for likely Necas+(+) to Carolina, and then went to Pettersson with all of the power in their court and gave him their ultimatum. Pettersson caved and signed a great contract. All in all, seems like smart business to me.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If he traded him off for a bit less, following Lindholm hypothetically not working out, as part of a hyper-aggressive strategy to bring in a new and better fit to grab a cup then no, I don't think we'd be labelling him a dumbass.

Also, it bears noting that up until just a week ago it seems that, from what we've learned now, the Canucks were serious about the prospect of having to trade Pettersson. Lindholm was a backup to that eventuality. But the ultimatum they gave Pettersson to re-sign or get traded to Carolina worked. Now, with Miller and Pettersson locked in, Lindholm's centre capabilities are less of a pressing need in Vancouver. Now they need a winger.

The added layer therefore, if the Canucks pull this off, is that they brought in Lindholm so that they could suffer losing Pettersson down the middle, arranged a trade of Pettersson for likely Necas+(+) to Carolina, and then went to Pettersson with all of the power in their court and gave him their ultimatum. Pettersson caved and signed a great contract. All in all, seems like smart business to me.
Oh I am convinced there would be quite a few.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure why people assume the Canucks would be losing face in this. We'll see...but if they swap Lindholm for Guentzel 1 for 1 it's an easy way out and a win for them.

What they paid for Lindholm is pretty much the asking price for Guentzel so...

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not sure why people assume the Canucks would be losing face in this. We'll see...but if they swap Lindholm for Guentzel 1 for 1 it's an easy way out and a win for them.

They'll lose out a bit, I expect. Probably recoup a 1st+something from Boston if it works out.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ok, I'm just confused now. 🙃
I was referring to if CMac would have traded for Lindholm and then a month later having to flip him because that was a mistake.

Yeah there would be crazy town reactions, but that is just how things roll around here lol.

I'd actually be impressed. It would be like if Cmac realized Ryjo was worthless 20 games in, and found a way to dump him. 😉

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

They might not be losing face. My point was that right at this moment before their next move is announced people would be all over CMac but Allvin is creative.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Absolutely bonkers

Meh. He's totally overrated and the Canucks are now finding out. 6 points in 14 games and a -5 +/-

I'd rather have Kuzmenko alone than Lindholm and they gave up Finnish D prospect Jurmo who has the potential to be a top 4 shut down guy and defenseman Hunter Brzustewicz who has 12-72-84 in 59 games for Kitchener. As well as a 1st and 4th in 2024.

They gave up a 1st, a 4th, two prospects who were drafted in the 3rd and a guy who had 39 goals and 74 points in 2022/23 for a rental.

That right there is why you don't panic and over pay for deadline trades.

But half you drama queens were crying like babies after Van traded for him whining that McFarland is doing nothing and our window is closed. It's absolutely hilarious. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Vk1ing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They'll lose out a bit, I expect. Probably recoup a 1st+something from Boston if it works out.
They don't need to...I expect something like this:

Pitts: picks (from BOS) + prospects (from BOS) + a 3rd pick (from Canucks)
BOS: Lindholm
VAN: Guentzel

So the Canucks would upgrade from Lindholm to Guentzel for a 3rd.

• Wow

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They don't need to...I expect something like this:

Pitts: picks (from BOS) + prospects (from BOS) + a 3rd pick (from Canucks)
BOS: Lindholm
VAN: Guetnzel

So the Canucks would upgrade from Lindholm to Guetzel for a 3rd.

If Boston pays even close to what Vancouver did they will probably look stupid.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Me too. The All In Every Year GM's will shorten their contention window from 2-3 years to 1-2.

Avs will be sitting there with 5x the amount of shots at a Cup, with one already under their belt, and be the only team capable of a dynasty in the cap era.

Amen. Panic moves never work.

Be patient. Stay the course. Re-sign our guys we drafted and they stay loyal. Add complimentary players if needed. And stock the cupboards with prospects to fill the voids if we need to move a guy for cap purposes.

When healthy, we have arguably the strongest roster on paper.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I always get a kick out of rumors where a team wants to trade a busted prospect, but only if they get a better player back, with term.
The Isles strike me as a club just dooming themselves to mediocrity...but hey, I'm sure the rest of the league is quite excited that 23 year old Oliver Wahlstrom and his *checks notes* 2 goals and 4 assists on the season is available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad