2025 NHL Draft Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Always very difficult to compare two players who were not born in the same year, even if biologically, very few days separate them, nor in the same league.

The visual difference will be made on international tournaments, in particular the U20 tournament and, if carried out, Senior.

The U17 tournament was not fair. It's very tight.

In recent years, we have had a real Canada versus USA rivalry, starting with McDavid versus Eichel and then Matthews.

J.Hughes vs Lafreniere as best 2001 and n°1.
Power vs Beniers in 2021
L.Hughes vs Clarke in 2021
Wright vs Cooley in 2022
Bedard vs Smith in 2023
Celebrini vs Eiserman in 2024
Misa vs Hagens in 2025

USA still has a great headliner to oppose against the Canadian headliner.
2023 was special for having a canadian, an american, a swede, a russian, and an ncaa guy all ranked as more less the 5 most talented players, which is good representation. just missing a finn and a slovak since dalibor had czechia covered lol

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Bedard-Michkov until they didn’t go 1-2. For players that actually went 1-2, I think it’ll be hard to beat Dahlin-Svechnikov.

Not that I disagree with your premise, but I don’t see it as unreachable that Hagens could be at a similar level to Bedard. He’s already being discussed as a level above Hughes, who was a little below (maybe a full tier) below Matthews and Eichel for NTDP players.

We’ll have to see how his next few years go. If this dude is like 6’0-6’1 by the draft, I think we’re talking about a player at least at the Bedard level. That’s what I’m looking for with Hagens. His brother is 6’0. If he grows, I see no reason why he couldn’t be the best since McDavid, although I don’t think he’ll reach the level of McDavid. He has all world playmaking, skill, skating, hockey sense, as well as a good shot and good defensive play for his age. At average or better than average height, his game becomes a lot more attractive
You said there is discussion that Hagens might be a notch above Hughes but below Matthews/Eichel. But says he can be "at least" on Bedard's level. I was intrigued. What is "Bedard level" for you?

I'm stoned with Hagens, but the best since McDavid I don't know (even with an extra seven inches). If he fulfills his potential, I believe he can compete for that spot with Matthews/Bedard/Michkov/Hughes

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You said there is discussion that Hagens might be a notch above Hughes but below Matthews/Eichel. But says he can be "at least" on Bedard's level. I was intrigued. What is "Bedard level" for you?
About the level of Matthews. Bedard could certainly be argued as the best in Tier 2 (and some are going to say he's Tier 1, which I vehemently disagree with), but he's also 5'9 3/4, not an amazing skater, and probably only average defensively, so I think we have to separate junior hockey accomplishments with how they project to the NHL. Matthews is 6'3 200. Same with Dahlin. That matters a lot once they reach the NHL.

This is about how I view it of the recent 1OA's and the other most highly hyped prospects of recent times, if you want it in a slightly different form.

Tier 1: McDavid
Tier 2 (in order): Dahlin, Matthews, Bedard, Michkov, Eichel, Hughes, Lafreniere

I think Hagens could be towards the top of Tier 2, or like a tier 1.5. I don't think he can reach the level of McDavid. He could also be towards the bottom of Tier 2, so we'll have to see.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
2023 was special for having a canadian, an american, a swede, a russian, and an ncaa guy all ranked as more less the 5 most talented players, which is good representation. just missing a finn and a slovak since dalibor had czechia covered lol

N°1 Sweden
N°2 Russia
N°3 Finland
N°4 USA
N°5 Canada
N°6 Czechia

N°7 USA
N°8 Sweden
N°9 Russia
N°10 Canada
N°16 Czechia
N°20 Finland

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
From Finland i have seen some pretty good players born in 2007. For example some forwards: Rasmus Kämäräinen (Jokerit), Niklas Grandell (Jokerit), Jasper Inkinen (Lukko), Aleksi Juusela (Ässät), Oiva Piipponen (TPS) and Urho Mattila (Kärpät). Best dmans from Finland are Alvar Ervasti (Kärpät) and Aaron Paju (TPS).
IMO, this 2007 group is a difficult one as no-one really stands out. To my eye, it may become a very bad draft year for Finland. Most of the players you list - I have followed them all except Urho Mattila - to my eye need to develop a spike to be interesting. This coming season is the watershed for many. Grandell moved to HIFK last season as he did not get U18 exposure at Jokerit that year.

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
Still early and work in progress

Finns

2025 Draft-2

1. Eetu Orpana C
2. Jesper Kotajärvi D
3. Rasmus Kämäräinen W
4. Jasu Mensonen C
5. Julius Saari D
6. Max Westergård W
7. Atte Joki C/W
8. Aaron Paju D
9. Victor Björkenheim D
10. Jere Somervuori W
11. Aapo Vanninen C
12. Atte Uusikartano C
13. Benjamin Strömberg C
14. Alvar Ervasti D
15. Rasmus Baggström W

Other Notables:
Eero Ahtinen, Jasper Inkinen, Elias Jussila, Aleksi Juusela, Aapo Katavisto, Patrik Kerkola, Kasper Kuusikoski,
Luca Laine, Veeti Lamponen, Emil Leppälä, Urho Mattila, Rasmus Pakarinen, Onni Pietiläinen, Jester Rossi,
Veeti Ruotsalainen, Jooa Sammalniemi, Jarel Tukiainen, Erno Uusitalo, Arttu Välilä

Great list, thank you.

I would put top 5 like this:
1. Eetu Orpana
2. Aaron Paju
3. Jesper Kotajärvi
4. Julius Saari
5. Max Westergård

Of that list in general, I bet maybe 2-4 will get drafted.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Great list, thank you.

I would put top 5 like this:
1. Eetu Orpana
2. Aaron Paju
3. Jesper Kotajärvi
4. Julius Saari
5. Max Westergård

Of that list in general, I bet maybe 2-4 will get drafted.
Its a bit older list I posted updated on other thread

1. Orpana
2. Kotajärvi
3. Saari
4. Kämäräinen
5. Westergård

not much change otherwise but I did add Lasse Boelius to good notable ones.

Reactions: FINJuniors

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
In my opinion, and it’s early, but this is shaping up to be a 2023/2015/2003 caliber draft. I currently view 23 of these guys as first round picks, generally two years out, there’s 3-10 guys that look that good!

2025 Early Rankings/Watchlist:

1) James Hagens (F)
2) Michael Misa (F)
3) Adam Benák (F)
4) Logan Hensler (D)
5) L.J. Mooney (F)
6) Matthew Schaefer (D)
7) Cole McKinney (F)
8) William Moore (F)
9) Malcolm Spence (F)
10) Porter Martone (F)
11) Filip Ekberg (F)
12) Cullen Potter (F)
13) Roger McQueen (F)
14) Karl Annborn (D)
15) Jordan Gavin (F)
16) Brady Martin (F)
17) Ivan Ryabkin (F)
18) William Horcoff (F)
19) Anton Frondell (F)
20) Zachary Morin (F)
21) Jan Chovan (F)
22) Caleb Desnoyers (F)
23) Luka Radivojevic (D)

Watchlist - In no particular order:

Gabriel D'Aigle (G)
Pyotr Andreyanov (G)
Cole Reschny (F)
Nathan Lecompte (F)
Kale Dach (F)
Bill Zonnon (F)
Henry Brzustewicz (D)
Will Sharpe (D)
Owen Griffin (F)
Tomas Pobezal (F)
Victor Eklund (F)
Jackson Smith (D)
Oliwer Sjöström (D)
Philippe Veilleux (F)
Jakob Ihs Wozniak (F)
Milton Gastrin (F)
Masun Fleece (F)
Sascha Boumedienne (D)
Eetu Orpana (F)
Liam Kilfoil (F)

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
In my opinion, and it’s early, but this is shaping up to be a 2023/2015/2003 caliber draft. I currently view 23 of these guys as first round picks, generally two years out, there’s 3-10 guys that look that good!

1) James Hagens (F)
2) Michael Misa (F)
3) Adam Benák (F)
4) Logan Hensler (D)
5) L.J. Mooney (F)
6) Matthew Schaefer (D)
7) Cole McKinney (F)
8) William Moore (F)
9) Malcolm Spence (F)
10) Porter Martone (F)
11) Filip Ekberg (F)
12) Cullen Potter (F)
13) Roger McQueen (F)
14) Karl Annborn (D)
15) Jordan Gavin (F)
16) Brady Martin (F)
17) Ivan Ryabkin (F)
18) William Horcoff (F)
19) Anton Frondell (F)
20) Zachary Morin (F)
21) Jan Chovan (F)
22) Caleb Desnoyers (F)
23) Luka Radivojevic (D)

Gabriel D'Aigle (G)
Pyotr Andreyanov (G)
Cole Reschny (F)
Nathan Lecompte (F)
Kale Dach (F)
Bill Zonnon (F)
Henry Brzustewicz (D)
Will Sharpe (D)
Owen Griffin (F)
Tomas Pobezal (F)
Victor Eklund (F)
Jackson Smith (D)
Oliwer Sjöström (D)
Philippe Veilleux (F)
Jakob Ihs Wozniak (F)
Milton Gastrin (F)
Masun Fleece (F)
Sascha Boumedienne (D)
Eetu Orpana (F)
Liam Kilfoil (F)
Caleb Desnoyers brother Elliot had a pretty solid year for the Phantoms, he was a 5th round pick in 2021 though. never seen Caleb play but he kinda sounds like a taller version of Elliot which is about the only thing you can criticize in his game so far.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

1) James Hagens (F)
2) Michael Misa (F)
3) Adam Benák (F)
4) Logan Hensler (D)
5) L.J. Mooney (F)
6) Matthew Schaefer (D)
7) Cole McKinney (F)
8) William Moore (F)
9) Malcolm Spence (F)
10) Porter Martone (F)
11) Filip Ekberg (F)
12) Cullen Potter (F)
13) Roger McQueen (F)
14) Karl Annborn (D)
15) Jordan Gavin (F)
16) Brady Martin (F)
17) Ivan Ryabkin (F)
18) William Horcoff (F)
19) Anton Frondell (F)
20) Zachary Morin (F)
21) Jan Chovan (F)
22) Caleb Desnoyers (F)
23) Luka Radivojevic (D)

Gabriel D'Aigle (G)
Pyotr Andreyanov (G)
Cole Reschny (F)
Nathan Lecompte (F)
Kale Dach (F)
Bill Zonnon (F)
Henry Brzustewicz (D)
Will Sharpe (D)
Owen Griffin (F)
Tomas Pobezal (F)
Victor Eklund (F)
Jackson Smith (D)
Oliwer Sjöström (D)
Philippe Veilleux (F)
Jakob Ihs Wozniak (F)
Milton Gastrin (F)
Masun Fleece (F)
Sascha Boumedienne (D)
Eetu Orpana (F)
Liam Kilfoil (F)
Of the players I know about, I agree with a lot of this, but I think McQueen is being underrated a lot. Big right shot centers with significant offense that can skate aren't common. He didn't put up many points last season, but has also been pretty good for Canada in the last two tournaments he's played.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Of the players I know about, I agree with a lot of this, but I think McQueen is being underrated a lot. Big right shot centers with significant offense that can skate aren't common. He didn't put up many points last season, but has also been pretty good for Canada in the last two tournaments he's played.
8-13 are almost interchangeable to me right now, McQueen is definitely a candidate to rise with the tools he has, looked great at the recent Hlinka, could easily be 8 right now, and rise from there!

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

1) James Hagens (F)
2) Michael Misa (F)
3) Adam Benák (F)
4) Logan Hensler (D)
5) L.J. Mooney (F)
6) Matthew Schaefer (D)
7) Cole McKinney (F)
8) William Moore (F)
9) Malcolm Spence (F)
10) Porter Martone (F)
11) Filip Ekberg (F)
12) Cullen Potter (F)
13) Roger McQueen (F)
14) Karl Annborn (D)
15) Jordan Gavin (F)
16) Brady Martin (F)
17) Ivan Ryabkin (F)
18) William Horcoff (F)
19) Anton Frondell (F)
20) Zachary Morin (F)
21) Jan Chovan (F)
22) Caleb Desnoyers (F)
23) Luka Radivojevic (D)

Gabriel D'Aigle (G)
Pyotr Andreyanov (G)
Cole Reschny (F)
Nathan Lecompte (F)
Kale Dach (F)
Bill Zonnon (F)
Henry Brzustewicz (D)
Will Sharpe (D)
Owen Griffin (F)
Tomas Pobezal (F)
Victor Eklund (F)
Jackson Smith (D)
Oliwer Sjöström (D)
Philippe Veilleux (F)
Jakob Ihs Wozniak (F)
Milton Gastrin (F)
Masun Fleece (F)
Sascha Boumedienne (D)
Eetu Orpana (F)
Liam Kilfoil (F)
I like this list but I'm always a wait and see on NTDP kids until I see them play in the USHL for at least 3-4 months.

For example, I really like Cullen Potter and could see him shoot up the rankings but his competition last year was meh so he's a wait and see with me. You don't list Conrad Fondrk which surprises me because he really impressed me last year. I'm also really interested to see how Richard Gallant does at this level

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I just hope that he develops better than Geekie in Winnipeg.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
I like this list but I'm always a wait and see on NTDP kids until I see them play in the USHL for at least 3-4 months.

For example, I really like Cullen Potter and could see him shoot up the rankings but his competition last year was meh so he's a wait and see with me. You don't list Conrad Fondrk which surprises me because he really impressed me last year. I'm also really interested to see how Richard Gallant does at this level
I think this NTDP crop is similar caliber to the 2001 group. Potter is a personal favourite of mine, I could actually see him being more of a slip candidate than a riser, but it’s very early.

Guys like Fondrk/Gallant/Trethewey/Barnett/Bracco have interesting upside, but I expect Mooney/Moore/Potter/McKinney/Horcoff to be THE guys. This doesn’t include the late 06’s in Hagens/Hensler who I feel are the best forward and best dman at the moment, great year for the Americans!

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Yeah I agree here. A lot can change in a short amount of time. I remember Jake Wise being “the next Eichel” going into the u17 year. He played fine but was very mediocre.

Reactions: scoutman1

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Yeah I agree here. A lot can change in a short amount of time. I remember Jake Wise being “the next Eichel” going into the u17 year. He played fine but was very mediocre.
I was on the Wise train i remember, saw him play before NTDP and looked amazing......with NTDP he was good and respectable but not what was exptected...its a big jump from U18 to that next step.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I was on the Wise train i remember, saw him play before NTDP and looked amazing......with NTDP he was good and respectable but not what was exptected...its a big jump from U18 to that next step.
We were all on the Wise train. He was a beast but didn't live up to expectations. Tough when you are "the guy" coming out of a hot bed like that. Before Wise it was Cam Askew

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

1) James Hagens (F)
2) Michael Misa (F)
3) Adam Benák (F)
4) Logan Hensler (D)
5) L.J. Mooney (F)
6) Matthew Schaefer (D)
7) Cole McKinney (F)
8) William Moore (F)
9) Malcolm Spence (F)
10) Porter Martone (F)
11) Filip Ekberg (F)
12) Cullen Potter (F)
13) Roger McQueen (F)
14) Karl Annborn (D)
15) Jordan Gavin (F)
16) Brady Martin (F)
17) Ivan Ryabkin (F)
18) William Horcoff (F)
19) Anton Frondell (F)
20) Zachary Morin (F)
21) Jan Chovan (F)
22) Caleb Desnoyers (F)
23) Luka Radivojevic (D)

Gabriel D'Aigle (G)
Pyotr Andreyanov (G)
Cole Reschny (F)
Nathan Lecompte (F)
Kale Dach (F)
Bill Zonnon (F)
Henry Brzustewicz (D)
Will Sharpe (D)
Owen Griffin (F)
Tomas Pobezal (F)
Victor Eklund (F)
Jackson Smith (D)
Oliwer Sjöström (D)
Philippe Veilleux (F)
Jakob Ihs Wozniak (F)
Milton Gastrin (F)
Masun Fleece (F)
Sascha Boumedienne (D)
Eetu Orpana (F)
Liam Kilfoil (F)
Whats so good about Jan Chovan? I am legitimately asking, didnt have a chance to see him play in Finnish U18. But at the first glance he doesnt look that special. Sure playing in U18 at 16 but 16points in 44games doesnt look that much impressive. Does he have other big upsides besides scoring and production, that makes him first round potential?

Because just in comparison for example Jecho had much better numbers in that age in Finnish U18, and he probably wont even crack first three rounds this draft.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Whats so good about Jan Chovan? I am legitimately asking, didnt have a chance to see him play in Finnish U18. But at the first glance he doesnt look that special. Sure playing in U18 at 16 but 16points in 44games doesnt look that much impressive. Does he have other big upsides besides scoring and production, that makes him first round potential?

Because just in comparison for example Jecho had much better numbers in that age in Finnish U18, and he probably wont even crack first three rounds this draft.
I see Chovan as a creative, elusive, confident player, who uses his body well, and has a really good shot. I think he’s much better than Jecho/Pobezal, but lots of time left for that opinion to change.

The guy that stands out to me the most there is actually Radivojevic, I think he may be the 3rd best d in this class right now, just haven’t seen enough to justify him higher yet, but he’s definitely trending up for me!

Reactions: samuu and hellwar9

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
We were all on the Wise train. He was a beast but didn't live up to expectations. Tough when you are "the guy" coming out of a hot bed like that. Before Wise it was Cam Askew
and Adam Pineault.....Rob Schremp...Jet Morin...Shane McClogen...Luke Moffatt...Sam Calabrese...Ken Ryan...Nick Ebert

lol i remember them all

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad