2025 NHL Draft Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yeah he has impressive stats for a 07! Novotny and Gästrin is also 2 interesting forwards with good stats. I still think Frondell are in the same tier as Ekberg. Both almost have the same ppg in j18 and tv-pucken
Don't forget Jakob Ihs Wozniak. But Ekberg's at the top of said tier for the Swedes.
No love for Oliwer Sjöstrom?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
No love for Oliwer Sjöstrom?
When it comes to dmen I have Sjöström just under Boumedienne. Then there's also Love Härenstam when it comes to goalies, and under him William Forsberg I also really like right now.

Still a ways to go but the 2007 class overall is looking special currently. Need the top forwards to improve their skating, though. I wonder if the Covid shutdown hurt their development in that regard.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kinda interesting:

‘05: Sweden strong and deep (if no superstars)…Finland looking baaaad.

‘06: Finns looking amazing…Sweden looking not great at the moment.

‘07: Potentially crazy Swedish crop and very weak Finnish crop.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Sanz4

Feb 1, 2023
Kinda interesting:

‘05: Sweden strong and deep (if no superstars)…Finland looking baaaad.

‘06: Finns looking amazing…Sweden looking not great at the moment.

‘07: Potentially crazy Swedish crop and very weak Finnish crop.
I agree, Swedens 06 age group is weak. Zetterberg is the only swede that can go in the first round imo. Winning just 2 of 8 games in international tournaments in unacceptable to me.

Reactions: FINJuniors

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I agree, Swedens 06 age group is weak. Zetterberg is the only swede that can go in the first round imo. Winning just 2 of 8 games in international tournaments in unacceptable to me.
I think Freij goes in 1st round, Sterner has a good chance aswell, Zetterberg hopefully grows to at least 5'9, then he is a 1st rounder

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Still early and work in progress

Finns

2025 Draft-2

1. Eetu Orpana C
2. Jesper Kotajärvi D
3. Rasmus Kämäräinen W
4. Jasu Mensonen C
5. Julius Saari D
6. Max Westergård W
7. Atte Joki C/W
8. Aaron Paju D
9. Victor Björkenheim D
10. Jere Somervuori W
11. Aapo Vanninen C
12. Atte Uusikartano C
13. Benjamin Strömberg C
14. Alvar Ervasti D
15. Rasmus Baggström W

Other Notables:
Eero Ahtinen, Jasper Inkinen, Elias Jussila, Aleksi Juusela, Aapo Katavisto, Patrik Kerkola, Kasper Kuusikoski,
Luca Laine, Veeti Lamponen, Emil Leppälä, Urho Mattila, Rasmus Pakarinen, Onni Pietiläinen, Jester Rossi,
Veeti Ruotsalainen, Jooa Sammalniemi, Jarel Tukiainen, Erno Uusitalo, Arttu Välilä

fan1977

Jul 18, 2022
Ihs Wozniak 7p in 2 games against Modo on the weekend in the j18 SM slutspel and luleå goes through to the next round. Lots of 2007s in the luleå team. Härmestram in goal, Oliver Sjöström, Linus Funck, William Morin and Casper J-Karlsson all playing a lot of minutes.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
so how good are the top5 in this drafted touted as, or is it too early?
Although we are two years away, a lot of the top prospects for this year are late birthdays. Hagens, D'Aigle, Hensler, Gavin, Spence and McQueen are all 2006 birth year, so scouts have a slightly better read on these guys than the 2007s. Also, Misa was given exceptional status and scouts got a good look at him against older competition.

The sense that I get at this stage is that there are two great prospects in Hagens and Misa and then a fairly healthy group of guys who stand a very good chance of pushing into the top 5.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Although we are two years away, a lot of the top prospects for this year are late birthdays. Hagens, D'Aigle, Hensler, Gavin, Spence and McQueen are all 2006 birth year, so scouts have a slightly better read on these guys than the 2007s. Also, Misa was given exceptional status and scouts got a good look at him against older competition.

The sense that I get at this stage is that there are two great prospects in Hagens and Misa and then a fairly healthy group of guys who stand a very good chance of pushing into the top 5.
I would also mention Porter Martone, he was the leading d-2 scorer at the most recent U18

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s impossible to know before the majority of this group hits junior hockey, but the fact that there are so many good late 2006’s and then Misa is also obviously a very high caliber player too as an ES 2007 suggests a very deep draft. 2023 built a strong foundation with a similar formula. A lot of good late birthdays and an ES early birthday. I wouldn’t expect Misa to be Bedard and the late birthday 2006’s may not rise to the level of Michkov, Carlsson, and Fantilli, but 2025 looks like it should be better than 2024, if the early birthday crop isn’t terrible. Beyond that, too early to tell, but it’d probably be hard at this point so far out from a draft for a draft to receive more hype than 2025 has so far.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Misa-Hagens possible best 1-2 since McDavid-Eichel?

Bedard-Michkov until they didn’t go 1-2. For players that actually went 1-2, I think it’ll be hard to beat Dahlin-Svechnikov.

No, I don’t think either of them is generational like Bédard/McDavid (hagens) and franchise like Carlsson/Eichel (misa) will be, 2023 is better

Not that I disagree with your premise, but I don’t see it as unreachable that Hagens could be at a similar level to Bedard. He’s already being discussed as a level above Hughes, who was a little below (maybe a full tier) below Matthews and Eichel for NTDP players.

We’ll have to see how his next few years go. If this dude is like 6’0-6’1 by the draft, I think we’re talking about a player at least at the Bedard level. That’s what I’m looking for with Hagens. His brother is 6’0. If he grows, I see no reason why he couldn’t be the best since McDavid, although I don’t think he’ll reach the level of McDavid. He has all world playmaking, skill, skating, hockey sense, as well as a good shot and good defensive play for his age. At average or better than average height, his game becomes a lot more attractive

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Not that I disagree with your premise, but I don’t see it as unreachable that Hagens could be at a similar level to Bedard. He’s already being discussed as a level above Hughes, who was a little below (maybe a full tier) below Matthews and Eichel for NTDP players.

We’ll have to see how his next few years go. If this dude is like 6’0-6’1 by the draft, I think we’re talking about a player at least at the Bedard level. That’s what I’m looking for with Hagens. His brother is 6’0. If he grows, I see no reason why he couldn’t be the best since McDavid, although I don’t think he’ll reach the level of McDavid. He has all world playmaking, skill, skating, hockey sense, as well as a good shot and good defensive play for his age. At average or better than average height, his game becomes a lot more attractive
Development isn’t linear so in theory he could take further steps in his development but in terms of D-2 U18s (the most direct point of comparison this point) Bédard (and Michkov for that matter as well, but as you said he didn’t end up going number 2) was a good deal better than Hagens (Michkov is a more appropriate comparison actually because he is a late as well, Bédard is a summer birthday). I found that at the u18s he (hagens) showed flashes, but there was still some polish needed in his game. But the base is certainly there with the skating and vision. I see a franchise level ceiling rather than a generational one, I think a good NHL stylistic comparable is Dylan Larkin, though I think he should be better than that if he achieves his potential.

As for Misa outside of his big game against Slovakia it was pretty meh for me, and certainly didn’t jump off the page like Michkov did at the Texas u18 or Carlsson did to a certain extent in the most recent world junior

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Development isn’t linear so in theory he could take further steps in his development but in terms of D-2 U18s (the most direct point of comparison this point) Bédard (and Michkov for that matter as well, but as you said he didn’t end up going number 2) was a good deal better than Hagens (Michkov is a more appropriate comparison actually because he is a late as well, Bédard is a summer birthday). I found that at the u18s he (hagens) showed flashes, but there was still some polish needed in his game. But the base is certainly there with the skating and vision. I see a franchise level ceiling rather than a generational one, I think a good NHL stylistic comparable is Dylan Larkin, though I think he should be better than that if he achieves his potential.

As for Misa outside of his big game against Slovakia it was pretty meh for me, and certainly didn’t jump off the page like Michkov did at the Texas u18 or Carlsson did to a certain extent in the most recent world junior

Hagens wasn’t at his best at that tournament, but he was also playing a weird spot. He was 3rd line and playing a left-shot bumper role on the PP (much more difficult than a right-shot) and insanely snake-bitten. He should’ve had like another 4 points. Bedard had a poor first half of his U-17 season, so it’s important to not hold one tournament or stretch against any player too much, unless they’re a player with like McDavid/Crosby expectations, and even then, we still see those guys aren’t Superman and have struggled at times.

I think you are either underrating Hagens or overrating Bedard. Bedard at the same age was 5’9 with a questionable two way game and less than amazing skating. He’s since improved in all those areas. Improvement from season to season is normal and should be expected. I don’t see the Larkin comparison, at all. Larkin had great speed and then a decent, not great puck game. He’s more comparable to Beniers. Hagens plays the game very differently. He combines all the great elements you see of Hughes, but he’s better defensively and it seems rational that he could be a few inches taller.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Bedard-Michkov until they didn’t go 1-2. For players that actually went 1-2, I think it’ll be hard to beat Dahlin-Svechnikov.

I know u disliked Hughes as a prospect in terms compared to his hype, but Hagens isnt at Hughes's level right now

Hughes put up 2 ppg in the USHL in his first season with the ntdp and was the better skater of the two similar height

Say Hughes was a late birthday he would have probably put up the same production and would have dominated his late birthday dy and that d-1 2 ppg in the ushl would be a d-2 2 ppg ushl season

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Hagens wasn’t at his best at that tournament, but he was also playing a weird spot. He was 3rd line and playing a left-shot bumper role on the PP (much more difficult than a right-shot) and insanely snake-bitten. He should’ve had like another 4 points. Bedard had a poor first half of his U-17 season, so it’s important to not hold one tournament or stretch against any player too much, unless they’re a player with like McDavid/Crosby expectations, and even then, we still see those guys aren’t Superman and have struggled at times.

I think you are either underrating Hagens or overrating Bedard. Bedard at the same age was 5’9 with a questionable two way game and less than amazing skating. He’s since improved in all those areas. Improvement from season to season is normal and should be expected. I don’t see the Larkin comparison, at all. Larkin had great speed and then a decent, not great puck game. He’s more comparable to Beniers. Hagens plays the game very differently. He combines all the great elements you see of Hughes, but he’s better defensively and it seems rational that he could be a few inches taller.
Always very difficult to compare two players who were not born in the same year, even if biologically, very few days separate them, nor in the same league.

The visual difference will be made on international tournaments, in particular the U20 tournament and, if carried out, Senior.

The U17 tournament was not fair. It's very tight.

In recent years, we have had a real Canada versus USA rivalry, starting with McDavid versus Eichel and then Matthews.

J.Hughes vs Lafreniere as best 2001 and n°1.
Power vs Beniers in 2021
L.Hughes vs Clarke in 2021
Wright vs Cooley in 2022
Bedard vs Smith in 2023
Celebrini vs Eiserman in 2024
Misa vs Hagens in 2025

USA still has a great headliner to oppose against the Canadian headliner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know u disliked Hughes as a prospect in terms compared to his hype, but Hagens isnt at Hughes's level right now

Hughes put up 2 ppg in the USHL in his first season with the ntdp and was the better skater of the two similar height

Say Hughes was a late birthday he would have probably put up the same production and would have dominated his late birthday dy and that d-1 2 ppg in the ushl would be a d-2 2 ppg ushl season
Hughes was playing with so much more talent. Hughes age group routinely won games by incredible margins, even as a U-17. Hagens age group is pretty average for an NTDP age group. Average may be generous too. Hughes also was given the keys once promoted to the U-18’s in a way Hagens wasn’t.

That’s to take nothing away from Hughes. Stats aren’t always the best thing to look at. I certainly don't believe Smith and Perreault are the two best U-18 NTDP prospects ever because they broke those records. They might not be top 10 (Perreault at least). The circumstances were just great for them to have offensive success and they are very good players. And if we want to turn it to Hagens, Eiserman actually had more points than him this season, yet almost everyone seems to believe Hagens is the better prospect. That's not to take anything away from Eiserman, but sometimes a pure stats comparison isn't the best way of comparing players.

All of this is to say Hughes and Hagens were in different situations. The conditions were right for Hughes to put up those numbers. They weren't for Hagens. Could Hughes be a little better offensively? I think it's possible, but remember that Hagens put up a historic tournament at the WHC-17. That alone doesn't mean he's better than Hughes offensively. It merely means he had a better offensive tournament at that tournament than Hughes, just as Hughes overall better U-17 season statistically doesn't mean he's better offensively. These are all things to look at, but I don't know that any are dispositive.

Regardless, I think Hagens has demonstrated to be better defensively and there's hope he will be a few inches taller, although that's no guarantee and we'll have to see about that. It's quite possible we're talking about similar level prospects, but there's a decent chance he's above that level. Still a few years for him to prove where he is in relation to the best American pre-draft prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad