Transfer: 2024 Winter Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well yea, a homer is gonna say his club did good business. That hardly counts.

The most favorable of the neutrals were basically saying it was high risk, high reward for Wolves and maybe they had to take a shot like this to get a talent like he was potentially projected to be.
Right, “that one guy”. Exactly what I said. There’s being a homer, and then there’s cheerleading that kind of move as a slam dunk as a recently promoted side like Wolves were at the time.

He used the same logic about paying over the odds for that “talent” and said it was a good bet. Clearly, everyone that said otherwise shaded that one better.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Right, “that one guy”. Exactly what I said. There’s being a homer, and then there’s cheerleading that kind of move as a slam dunk as a recently promoted side like Wolves were at the time.

He used the same logic about paying over the odds for that “talent” and said it was a good bet. Clearly, everyone that said otherwise shaded that one better.
Sure they were newly promoted, but at the same time they had back to back 7th place finishes, made the quarters of the Europa and only missed out on the Europa league due to goal difference.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Sure they were newly promoted, but at the same time they had back to back 7th place finishes, made the quarters of the Europa and only missed out on the Europa league due to goal difference.
Still, they were never in a position to spend that money on an 18-year-old from Portugal with barely any first team experience. And that risk has been proven in the subsequent years.

That (and many other) transfer was a Mendes money vehicle. You can see what’s happened to them since that train left the station.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I see Wolves are sending some multimillion Portuguese twink up the road. 11 appearances, 1 goal, free transfer to the Spanish second division in the summer imo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Arsenal looking at Palhinha as a replacement for Douglas. Much more likely option, but he is pretty old at 28. I think Arsenal rather have Zubimendi who's 4 years younger.

- Arsenal looking at Frimpong (Leverkusen) to fill that RB secondary slot.

- Wolves going after Ramsdale in January.

- Villarreal going after Cedric in January.
I see Wolves are sending some multimillion Portuguese twink up the road. 11 appearances, 1 goal, free transfer to the Spanish second division in the summer imo.
At least you can appreciate his youthful energy until then.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Fabio Silva was actually good during his short stints at Porto/PSV/Anderlecht, but that's probably because that's his level, not Premier League. Not a 40 million player now, and especially at 18. He should do well at Rangers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Boehly has probably been the focus of too much criticism, Eghbali has been more involved on the sporting side of things. I hope the directors start facing some accountability and it doesn't solely come down on the managers every single season. Selling Gallagher, our only consistent midfielder and arguably best player this season is just such a bad message.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Boehly has probably been the focus of too much criticism, Eghbali has been more involved on the sporting side of things. I hope the directors start facing some accountability and it doesn't solely come down on the managers every single season. Selling Gallagher, our only consistent midfielder and arguably best player this season is just such a bad message.

£50M for Gallagher despite that he's outperforming players we spent twice that much on. Disgraceful business.

Reactions: luiginb

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
£50M for Gallagher despite that he's outperforming players we spent twice that much on. Disgraceful business.
Enzo is what it is, I get why we went for him, and why we paid it. Hopefully playing with someone like Nkunku in front of him, so he can focus on being the creative from deeper positions will help. The talent is clear, a bunch of metrics are strong, but we need a lot more.

Caicedo makes no sense though, or Lavia+Ugochukwu makes no sense. I can see the argument with one of those options either Caicedo or the other 2 combined, but all 3 was always dumb money being spent.

And if you are going to spend over 200M on 2 CMs that aren't going to put the ball in the net or assist others in putting it in the net, they better lock that middle of the field down, and that hasn't happened either.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Enzo is what it is, I get why we went for him, and why we paid it. Hopefully playing with someone like Nkunku in front of him, so he can focus on being the creative from deeper positions will help. The talent is clear, a bunch of metrics are strong, but we need a lot more.

Caicedo makes no sense though, or Lavia+Ugochukwu makes no sense. I can see the argument with one of those options either Caicedo or the other 2 combined, but all 3 was always dumb money being spent.

And if you are going to spend over 200M on 2 CMs that aren't going to put the ball in the net or assist others in putting it in the net, they better lock that middle of the field down, and that hasn't happened either.
Enzo has been up and down, he's lacked consistency but the talent is there. When he's been at his best he's looked really good, though that hasn't always been the case.

Caicedo has been bad more often than good, sometimes terrible and shouldn't even be on the pitch. He needs to be way better. Buying Lavia and Ugochukwu on top was just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something will stick.

I agree with your third paragraph, they aren't providing enough going forward and they aren't providing enough defensively. Gallagher really has been our midfield this season with the most contributions in both directions.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Fabio Silva was actually good during his short stints at Porto/PSV/Anderlecht, but that's probably because that's his level, not Premier League. Not a 40 million player now, and especially at 18. He should do well at Rangers.

He was very mediocre at Anderlecht and he was invisible in half of his games there

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Could Chelsea sell him to LFC? He would fit nicely in that revamped midfield.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Silva is still only 21. He was good for both clubs he played for last year and I'm surprised he didn't go out again to start the year, I guess the Jimenez sale made them thin up top. I feel though that he should be playing above the Scottish league. I guess Rangers are still in Europe so he can showcase there. But he played in higher leagues last season, he should be going to a mid to bottom serie A or Ligue 1 club, maybe even the Bundesliga.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Could Chelsea sell him to LFC? He would fit nicely in that revamped midfield.
Honestly I’d take him, but not before another finisher and another defender.

Arsenal added three last January. LFC probably need to do similar. Ahead of schedule but would be a shame to waste this

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

They're not just open to selling him, they want to sell him and cash out. Wow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp rules Robertson out until February. Tsimikas broken collar bone from a week and half ago.

Cannot go a month with zero healthy left backs. Need to get someone in ASAP if they are serious about staying on top of the table. Bonus if they can cover some CB too. Doesn’t need to be a world beater, but can’t keep running Gomez there; especially considering Gomez is their cover at CB and RB too.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I don't think he's ready to start for you guys but if he proves me wrong you're gonna love him. Ballsy old school defender, dominating presence when he's on, captain material, but he's still learning. He lost Arnautovic on the Inter goal tonight but then came back with a towering header to get a draw for Genoa. He's already their best center back, as Romero was 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I understand that Gallagher has been great this season, I really do, but I don't understand Spurs insistence on getting another eight when they have more than enough players that prefer playing there. Especially if they sell Hojbjerg.

What they really need is another pivot. Bissouma has proven to be woefully inconsistent, lacking discipline, and is off to AFCON soon. Bentancur and Skipp can play there but they are better off as eights themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad