OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I can. Drake Maye misses a ton of easy passes because his footwork and poise under pressure are really bad. He will need a ton of coaching to become a decent NFL QB, but if he can make the transition (improve his flaws) he has a lot of upside.

For comparison, here is Kurt on Daniels.

Plenty of QBs have come in and NOT been able to fix those footwork issues. Mahome's did he got to sit a year behind Smith. If the Commanders DO draft DM I don't want to see any starts this year just work on what he needs to work on. Will give another free agency and draft to fix up the O line.

JD different story that running ability is far superior to DM he can keep the D off balance. Plus his footwork is generally better.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Lucas is a really good "first man up" swing tackle that is so valuable to a team. And he can play, like Wes Schweitzer .. hes a gamer.

BUT .. I like Lucas as "first man up" and not the week 1 starter.

OL I think you need 8 starter capable guys bc injuries will happen. Guys need to be able to play multiple positions as well. Im happy we got a seemingly competent C for our rookie TBD .. but I would really like a better plan at LT then Lucas.

Im sure a 32 year old still decent LT will become available as TC happens ... much like Leno when we got him.

----------------

2024 1st round - QB
2025 1st round - LT
2026 profit!!!!

Reactions: bacchist

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Corny's better than nothing (and hopefully better then Leno -- good guy who's best days are long behind him). But I still fantasize about Houstonizing this bee-yatch...

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Plenty of QBs have come in and NOT been able to fix those footwork issues. Mahome's did he got to sit a year behind Smith. If the Commanders DO draft DM I don't want to see any starts this year just work on what he needs to work on. Will give another free agency and draft to fix up the O line.

JD different story that running ability is far superior to DM he can keep the D off balance. Plus his footwork is generally better.
Agreed, but if they do land on DM and then sit him to school him up, we're ****ed if Mariotta is our full-time starter this year. KK would need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to make that work.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The rumored unhappiness came out into the open when Pickett said his goodbyes to Pittsburgh. While the quarterback had positive things to say about the city (where he also played in college), Pickett did not mention the Steelers (or anyone affiliated with the organization) by name.

Lol……Kennnnnnnyyyyyyy!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Lucas is a really good "first man up" swing tackle that is so valuable to a team. And he can play, like Wes Schweitzer .. hes a gamer.

BUT .. I like Lucas as "first man up" and not the week 1 starter.

OL I think you need 8 starter capable guys bc injuries will happen. Guys need to be able to play multiple positions as well. Im happy we got a seemingly competent C for our rookie TBD .. but I would really like a better plan at LT then Lucas.

Im sure a 32 year old still decent LT will become available as TC happens ... much like Leno when we got him.

----------------

2024 1st round - QB
2025 1st round - LT
2026 profit!!!!
And don't forget, we need, like, 7 centers. We go through those things like I went through the family size bag of Reese's mini eggs my daughter brought home last night -- quickly and brutally.

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

The rumored unhappiness came out into the open when Pickett said his goodbyes to Pittsburgh. While the quarterback had positive things to say about the city (where he also played in college), Pickett did not mention the Steelers (or anyone affiliated with the organization) by name.

Lol……Kennnnnnnyyyyyyy!
Who the **** is Kenny Pickett to show that kind of ass?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Lol……Kennnnnnnyyyyyyy!
The Steelers have always been a class organization. The only player I can think of who left and was shitty was maybe Antonio Bryant and he did that everywhere he went.

KP seems to think he was entitled to the starting job due to the PIT/Pitt connection, I guess.

Welp, enjoy sitting behind Hurts all year in Philly, dumbass. Chances are better Wilson shits the bed than Hurts.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Until we realize that's about all he brings at the next level cause he's stomping a bunch of younger guys on a stacked team with all the time in the world to make said plays to some of the best play makers in the country. Hope we dodge the bullet.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Whoever they draft at #2 is starting day one, doesn’t matter who. Unless you’d like to see a year of mariota at QB, what a waste for the guys we just picked up

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The other 2 are the 27th and 28th.

Separate thought: Does the fact that he haven't done anything about LT and there are no good FA options left make anyone else think my dream scenario of taking QB at 2 and trading back into 1st for a LT might be an actual plan? (A guy can dream...)
We are totally trading back into R1 for a left tackle. And I honestly wouldn’t be totally shocked if we did it twice. Three 1sts on top of this FA haul is boss level GMing as long as he hits the QB.

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Chase is the biggest bust since…? I guess technically he’s not a bust since he had one good season but the hype on him was unreal and he’s essentially playing for his career this season. Doesn’t seem like he really wants to play ball to be honest, feels like he’s just mailing it in until he gets to a certain amount in his bank account.

Reactions: Bananas

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Chase is the biggest bust since…? I guess technically he’s not a bust since he had one good season but the hype on him was unreal and he’s essentially playing for his career this season. Doesn’t seem like he really wants to play ball to be honest, feels like he’s just mailing it in until he gets to a certain amount in his bank account.

Dude doesn’t appear to love the game…

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Since RG3 really - very similar trajectory. Breakout rookie season, where sky is the limit! Then career threatening injuries. Followed by attitude, or personality issues undoing their chances at having a lasting NFL career.

I guess still technically TBD on Chase, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out of the league in 2 years.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I think the narrative around DM’s footwork has gotten a little out of hand. Not saying there aren’t issues (people smarter than me have explained it). But at this point you’d think he’s falling all over himself during every drop back. Kind of like people thinking JD gets blown up on every drive - it’s just not true.

If you watch DM in ‘22, when he had some semblance of an o-line and WRs, it’s a different story. In ‘23 he was UNC’s entire offense with no o-line, or WRs that could get separation. (watch the top of his drops on the All-22). So he was running for his life trying to play hero ball.

IMHO DM’s scrambling ability is a better fit for the NFL. DM extends plays, so that he can buy time to throw the ball. And he can make off platform throws from a variety of crazy angles, etc… due to his arm strength. Once JD leaves the pocket, he is off and running. I wonder how JD will fare behind an avg NFL line, where he doesn’t have a ton of time to wait for wide open WRs? Or when he doesn’t have huge holes to run through?

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Can an NFL draftnik explain to me in baby terms why these are deal breakers?

I'm a very casual fan but I watched a decent amount of last season because I had a lot of Sundays off for a while, and in that season we saw hyped-as-complete QB Bryce Young struggle hard with no answer to if he'll adapt. Meanwhile despite a thicker prototypical running quarterback's frame Anthony Richardson got himself knocked the f*** out, then hurt again later.

Does having a more powerful running frame matter if you use it to get yourself in trouble? Is Mahomes a prototypical running QB or just a guy who sees how and when to tuck it, and QB's just need to learn across the board that sliding is a talent if you aren't Lamar Jackson/Michael Vick good at schoolyard ball? Which prospect can do that and how much does it matter to you? Drew Brees was hardly the QB you'd draw up in a lab, didn't stop him from being absolutely prolific. Who's got "it"?

Which guy throws the passes you want to see? Which has issues you can fix and what do those perfect versions look like? Like... we all watch sports so I get when a guy has a flaw that just isn't fixable but for all these QBs to float around the 1-2-3 slot like this tells me that it's not as simple as strengths and weaknesses and how they profile vs others who may or may not have "it". Somebody down the line is going to be kicking themselves and the question seems to be who, so what's the biggest "deal breaker" among the cons of these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad