OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Hey guys .. debbie downer here .. just wanted to mention we didnt add a single stud or "gamebreaker". A bunch of decent to good starters just gets us back to drafting in the teens again.

7-10 yall .. 7-10 roster at best
Luvu and Wagner are studs. The coaching most importantly will be vastly improved.

They’ll probably add a guy like Legette, Mitchell or Bucky Irving to go with their new franchise QB and compete for a wildcard.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Hey guys .. debbie downer here .. just wanted to mention we didnt add a single stud or "gamebreaker". A bunch of decent to good starters just gets us back to drafting in the teens again.

AP made it known he wasn't going for big splashes in free agency, he wants to build through the draft. He's playing the long game. Snyder is the kind of guy that would've overpaid for one or two big names vs. a bunch of quality signings to surround the rookie QB. Besides, we still have a ton of cap space left, they're probably not done.

Anyway, none of this will matter if they don't hit on the QB in this draft. If we do, we're a wild card team. If not, we're right back here next year

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I mean we’re not expecting to splash big, but it’s clear a massive retool with the ability to once again be flexible next offseason was our approach….the QB impresses like Stroud did and you never know….

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The main thing is, they're doing things the right way, finally. They're adding players who fit the schemes they are going to run, often former players of the various coaches. This new corner we signed from SD, he's an absolute beast in press man coverage, and he's not great in off ball, zone, stuff. The Chargers finally let him just play press man and he was solid as hell. The DQ defense will be press man. I'd venture to even say maybe Forbes will have a bounce back year, he's best in press man and stinks on zone.

They are signing LBs who are good running towards the LOS, who can rush the passer. Press cover corners. Its really clear this team is going to be an attacking, pressure defense. Its not going to sit back and let the offense dictate to it like JDR's pathetic mess last year.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
seems like everyone is mocking daniels to Washington now

pro days can still change things but he would be the betting favorite now at #2
He’s a slight betting favorite but there’s been no indication that’s who they’re targetting per Keim. It’s essentially just “zomg YouTubes” from a list of blowhard ex players.

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
They're going about it exactly the right way. They've used the cap space to build a solid foundation. The #2 pick is going to be a splash player. And not one dollar they've spent this year is on an albatross contract that will us next year or for years to come.

I can't believe how well they've done in improving the team immediately and setting us on a solid path to build long-term success. They have walked in the door and un-Snydered us in a blink.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

89CB0148-CFFD-4421-A28F-AB77E558433E.jpeg

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’m leaning more and more maye, especially with how it seems many teams are trying so hard to move up for him
Yea, it’s kinda wild that the Vikings, Giants and Pats all want Maye (to varying degrees of desperation).

And yet a lot of our fanbase wants to trade down in some galaxy brain move for JJ. Or think Skinny Justin Fields (Daniels) HAS to be the pick because he can run fast, or something.

Maye is a rare, blue chip talent. Don’t overcomplicate this - take the guy with the highest ceiling as a passer, and let the coaches mold him.

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yea, it’s kinda wild that the Vikings, Giants and Pats all want Maye (to varying degrees of desperation).

And yet a lot of our fanbase wants to trade down in some galaxy brain move for JJ. Or think Skinny Justin Fields (Daniels) HAS to be the pick because he can run fast, or something.

Maye is a rare, blue chip talent. Don’t overcomplicate this - take the guy with the highest ceiling as a passer, and let the coaches mold him.
To be fair, some of us think Daniels should be the pick because he's elevated his game, posted a 208 efficiency rating -- 208 -- was was equally good vs. the blitz and vs. zone (0 int's against both), and has the ability to tuck and run or hit home runs on designed QB runs, meaning defenses are ****ed in trying to game plan against him.
The other option is a guy who has prototypical size and a great arm but footwork and accuracy issues that got worse, not better, over time, put up great numbers against lesser competition but struggled against better teams.
I'll take the experienced guy who's grown over 5 years and blew away a D with pro prosects at every position in back to back years (ALA) over the guy who has great tools but poor results against good competition.

(So, it's a little more nuanced than "run fast.")

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
To be fair, some of us think Daniels should be the pick because he's elevated his game, posted a 208 efficiency rating -- 208 -- was was equally good vs. the blitz and vs. zone (0 int's against both), and has the ability to tuck and run or hit home runs on designed QB runs, meaning defenses are ****ed in trying to game plan against him.
The other option is a guy who has prototypical size and a great arm but footwork and accuracy issues that got worse, not better, over time, put up great numbers against lesser competition but struggled against better teams.
I'll take the experienced guy who's grown over 5 years and blew away a D with pro prosects at every position in back to back years (ALA) over the guy who has great tools but poor results against good competition.

(So, it's a little more nuanced than "run fast.")
This is where basically I'm at. Maye's bust potential seems to a bit higher than JD's slender frame concerns.

Still won't make my final choice till after the two have their prodays I believe the 26th and 27th. I believe CW's is tomorrow.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
The other 2 are the 27th and 28th.

Separate thought: Does the fact that he haven't done anything about LT and there are no good FA options left make anyone else think my dream scenario of taking QB at 2 and trading back into 1st for a LT might be an actual plan? (A guy can dream...)

Reactions: Bananas

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The other 2 are the 27th and 28th.

Separate thought: Does the fact that he haven't done anything about LT and there are no good FA options left make anyone else think my dream scenario of taking QB at 2 and trading back into 1st for a LT might be an actual plan? (A guy can dream...)

There's a LOT of really good LT prospects in the draft, but only a small handful who are legit projected to be day 1 starters at LT. The second tier of LT prospects all have some needs to be groomed out of them before they can be considered sure fire starters, and in fact some of them will bust. So, leaving the new QB's blindside to a 2nd tier draft pick sounds risky to me. The guys we could legit pencil in on day 1 of training camp are Alt, Olu, Fuaga and maybe Fautanu and Morgan. THere's even some debate about Fuaga being a RT not a LT in the NFL, but thats not a consensus. The rest of the first round prospects (Mims, Latham, Guyton) at tackle are slated to be RTs (slower feet). The second tier LTs has guys like Kinglsey, Paul, Fisher and Kiran are all dudes that look to need a year of seasoning before being sure they can hold down the NFL LT spot.

Even though we want a franchise LT this draft, it may not happen and we may end up scraping together some camp cut or other 2nd tier UFA as a one year placeholder.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Looks like we just resigned Cornelius Lucas, and he can legit play LT in the NFL, so there is our stopgap. He graded REALLY high in 2020 and I hoped they would give him a chance to start, but he's been stuck behind Leno and the pylons we tried at RT, so maybe this new staff sees his potential correctly .

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
We somehow just had a legit left tackle on our team and they just weren't playing him? What?

I'm more than a little confused here. The offensive line was garbage last year. How does re-signing somebody that was part of that squad solve the problem?

• Haha
Reactions: TCB

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We somehow just had a legit left tackle on our team and they just weren't playing him? What?

I'm more than a little confused here. The offensive line was garbage last year. How does re-signing somebody that was part of that squad solve the problem?

I would take every decision that Scott Turner, Ron Rivera and Eric Bienemy made, and throw them in the trash, and start over.

Corny is a solid swing tackle who is better at LT than RT. Leno was also a solid LT for a few years, so Corny wasn't displacing Leno, he was subbing in for Wylie or others at RT and Lucas best year was at LT in 202 before we signed Leno. Lucas isn't the long term answer, but he'll fill in if we can't land a franchise LT this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad