OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I could see Tannehill there as the backup. He’s done well in run based systems, like Tomlin’s
Yeah, I could see that. Still, I think they'd be looking for a young guy to build up over a year or two.

I think a Wilson/Tannehill combo might be the textbook definition of "if you have 2 QBs, you don't have any QB."

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is just nuts. I don't remember an offseason like this. Maybe I'm just old and senile. This seems like a lot.

1710544170605.png

And that's with a good QB class in the draft, too. I guess most of these are playoff teams so they're doing what they can outside the draft.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
That’s fair. I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. I think if it was 11/23 and a first next year, I may do it.

Then see if you could take 23 and 40 and move to 5 w San Diego. 5 and 11 should get you a stud OT and a QB.

I’m just talking outloud.

Would we do 2 for Herbert?
Hell yes

ChaosLord

Jan 16, 2010
Minnesota now with the #11 and #23 picks this year, and they are most likely looking to trade into the top 5. Would you concede our #2 for their #11, #23, and next year's #1 pick? That would be a pretty nice haul.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Minnesota now with the #11 and #23 picks this year, and they are most likely looking to trade into the top 5. Would you concede our #2 for their #11, #23, and next year's #1 pick? That would be a pretty nice haul.
Cowardly move, unless you really don’t believe there is a franchise QB after #1.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Ouch. He was the only FA OT remaining I had interest in.

I still don't. We don't need a crap-ton of first rounders -- we need a franchise QB.

Neither of those picks this year gets us that guy, and next year's draft doesn't even appear to have anybody close to the level of this year's top 3, regardless of where MIN's pick might land.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
This is just nuts. I don't remember an offseason like this.

77 quarterbacks played last year, 66 started. The QB injury plague scared everyone into making sure they have real depth, which is why we're seeing so many teams with franchise phenoms still trading for or signing guys that can start. Makes sense. Weird year.

Cowardly move, unless you really don’t believe there is a franchise QB after #1.

Or unless you think the 4th/5th/6th QB in the class is a franchise guy. I'm with you that we should most likely draft a QB at 2, but I think we also agree that the guys making the decision know what they're doing, and if they like McCarthy or whoever and can get a bunch in a trade, it's not crazy or cowardly at all to move back.

The "top 3" all have some question marks and the next 3 are all thought to be very good. Guys outside the consensus top picks end up being the best in their class pretty often.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Or unless you think the 4th/5th/6th QB in the class is a franchise guy. I'm with you that we should most likely draft a QB at 2, but I think we also agree that the guys making the decision know what they're doing, and if they like McCarthy or whoever and can get a bunch in a trade, it's not crazy or cowardly at all to move back.

The "top 3" all have some question marks and the next 3 are all thought to be very good. Guys outside the consensus top picks end up being the best in their class pretty often.
Incredibly risky to trade back to 11 and pray whichever of 4th through 6th that you happen to believe in, is going to make it to you at 11 or 23.

It would be very “Draft Day(ish)”…….(Costner movie)….IF they somehow pulled off a 10 year starter at 11 or 23…..after trading that far back…

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Incredibly risky to trade back to 11 and pray whichever of 4th through 6th that you happen to believe in, is going to make it to you at 11 or 23.

It would be very “Draft Day(ish)”…….Costner movie….IF they somehow pulled off a 10 year starter at 11 ot 23…..after trading that far back…
Totally agree. Teams like the Vikings and Raiders are desperately trying to get in range for DM, and JD respectively. The Giants might move for one of them at 6. I don’t know why we’d give up our ability to choose one of DM/JD, just to get some more picks. We already have 6 in the top 100. If we want to get a LT in the 1st, take 36 and add pick(s) from this year (and/or next year) to trade up.

Anyways, some interesting tidbits from Daniel Jeremiah. Says that dealing Howell, if anything, signals Maye since it would be awkward having best friends in DC with those roles. Could see Vikes trading with Cards at 4 for JJ.

Last edited:

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Does signing ekeler give anyone sway as to which way they’re leaning? At first glance I would think it would mean a greater lean towards maye since he seems more the type to use a guy like ekeler for checkdowns vs. daniels just taking off when nothing is open and ignoring the dude as a safety blanket altogether

Reactions: TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad