OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
The more scouting there is, the more consensus is forming that DM needs some development time. It would be suicide for this team's development and spirit, with so many guys on one-year deals, to put Mariota out there as your starter by design. Agree with the folks who have stated if we were leaning DM, we'd have kept the credible starter in SH -- not because of their common origins but because SH could do at least a reasonable job in a better system behind an improved line while the draftee got schooled.
Sitting a QB for a year or two is an old school mentality to me. Whoever they pick out of the 3 top guys is going to start day one. Shipping howell off only strengthens that mentality

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we look real thin at WR. I want Dyami gone. Crowder is a good 5. Samuel is off to Buffalo Bill. I am not convinced we can address WR in the draft.

Elephant in the room we need a LT as well. Corner is thin (as Forbes's's legs) but Quan starting at FS would be huge.

I was in the keep Howell school. I think its dated old school thinking that you can only have 1 young QB on a roster. 2 should always be being groomed and developed until a stud is found.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I agree with the others who have said we should have kept Howell. He would have been relatively cheap insurance on a rookie QB. Mariota can step in, and I'm not as down on him as some other posters. But I don't see the downside to having another young QB on the roster. I think it's a little premature to write Howell off, given what he had to deal with last year with the line and EB's mishandling of the offense.

Reactions: Jags

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Welp .. this is my first WTF w the new FO

thats peanuts .. I imagine Curl wouldnt have stayed here even if we matched

Curls agent should have pushed harder for that bag after last season. Last year wasnt bad for Curl but a step back
Peters was probably ready to show the door to anyone not under contract that was part of last year's league-worst defense. He only resigned what, one guy? It's a total revamp

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This is so bad lol.

Its worse than just 2020. There are only 3 players from before 2021 who have been here the whole time.

2019 (3-76) WR Terry McLaurin
2018 (1-13) DT Daron Payne
2017 (1-17) DT Jonathan Allen

(Jamison Crowder, drafted in 2015, is on his second stint in WAS.)

Thats how bad this front office was. Just dreadful.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Its worse than just 2020. There are only 3 players from before 2021 who have been here the whole time.

2019 (3-76) WR Terry McLaurin
2018 (1-13) DT Daron Payne
2017 (1-17) DT Jonathan Allen

(Jamison Crowder, drafted in 2015, is on his second stint in WAS.)

Thats how bad this front office was. Just dreadful.
It’s crazy. They finally stopped using picks for dumb trades about 5-10 years ago, and then they proved to be absolutely pitiful at drafting 😂.

“WFT: Building the right way, just incredibly bad at it…”

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Sitting a QB for a year or two is an old school mentality to me. Whoever they pick out of the 3 top guys is going to start day one. Shipping howell off only strengthens that mentality
Agreed, that's why I think it's JD or CW, if he slips.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020

If I were the Vikings, I'd be trying to trade 11, 23 to get Herbert, not McCarthy. San Diego is clearly rebuilding, do they say yes to 11, 23, and next year's first?

I have also seen some stuff on Twitter about us talking to the Chargers about Herbert. I havent posted any of it because none of it has been from anyone I would consider reputable.

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

If I were the Vikings, I'd be trying to trade 11, 23 to get Herbert, not McCarthy. San Diego is clearly rebuilding, do they say yes to 11, 23, and next year's first?

I have also seen some stuff on Twitter about us talking to the Chargers about Herbert. I havent posted any of it because none of it has been from anyone I would consider reputable.

I can't believe SD would trade a young franchise QB for some picks with which they could take a guy that they pray might turn into a young franchise QB.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s quite the opposite….the old school mentality is cave to pressure and rush your newly drafted top QB into service….just because he was drafted top-5….

I can't believe SD would trade a young franchise QB for some picks with which they could take a guy that they pray might turn into a young franchise QB.
Yeah no way they move him…they rebuild around him…

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
It’s quite the opposite….the old school mentality is cave to pressure and rush your newly drafted top QB into service….just because he was drafted top-5….

Yeah no way they move him…they rebuild around him…
This is Harbaugh's team now. He's building it up his way and you know he loves mccarthy

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
What about 11 and 23 for our 2?

Well, there is the salary angle, AND the Chargers are getting crushed by the cap
I wouldn't do it. As we sit, we are guaranteed a guy with high potential to become the one thing this franchise has lacked since Sonny -- a bona fide, long-term franchise QB.
I know you like McCarthy, and he may well end up being a very good (yes, possibly even great) QB, but there's really nobody credibly saying he's an almost-can't-miss QB prospect. And it's not even a given that even he would be there at 11 -- we could end up looking at the 5th best QB by then, AND potentially have both the can't miss LTs off the board by then, too.
So I would not give up a pick that's a lock to get a top flight (see what I did there?) QB for 2 picks that in the range where we've generally been picking for the last 10-15 years.

Reactions: RedRocking

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I wouldn't do it. As we sit, we are guaranteed a guy with high potential to become the one thing this franchise has lacked since Sonny -- a bona fide, long-term franchise QB.
I know you like McCarthy, and he may well end up being a very good (yes, possibly even great) QB, but there's really nobody credibly saying he's an almost-can't-miss QB prospect. And it's not even a given that even he would be there at 11 -- we could end up looking at the 5th best QB by then, AND potentially have both the can't miss LTs off the board by then, too.
So I would not give up a pick that's a lock to get a top flight (see what I did there?) QB for 2 picks that in the range where we've generally been picking for the last 10-15 years.
That’s fair. I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. I think if it was 11/23 and a first next year, I may do it.

Then see if you could take 23 and 40 and move to 5 w San Diego. 5 and 11 should get you a stud OT and a QB.

I’m just talking outloud.

Would we do 2 for Herbert?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
That’s fair. I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. I think if it was 11/23 and a first next year, I may do it.

Then see if you could take 23 and 40 and move to 5 w San Diego. 5 and 11 should get you a stud OT and a QB.

I’m just talking outloud.

Would we do 2 for Herbert?
If it's me, I don't, because we all know I'm in the tank for JD, and those are 2 completely different types of QBs. One of the reasons I like Daniels (and CW) is that D coaches hate game planning against those kinds of guys (and those guys specifically, based on reports from around the combine on convos w/ college D coordinators.)
BUT-- if the team was leaning towards Maye and SD was open to that, I'd probably say, hell, yeah. Herbert is what everyone's hoping Maye could become. If you can get the known quantity at the same (or close enough) cost as the unknown quantity, I think you take it.

EDIT: SD = LAC (I'll prob'ly never get that right the first time)

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Who could they really be interested in via FA? Another trade for a player? Or trading up from 20?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Who could they really be interested in via FA? Another trade for a player? Or trading up from 20?

It's pretty much just trash left in FA. They might be the 6th QB in the first round. If so, should push another good player into the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad