OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
IMO this doesn't really signal anything either way.

I do think it's less likely now that we trade back. Unless we pick up another QB, we have to be looking for the new guy to start. I don't think anyone wants to see Mariota actually play. (I'm getting dry heaves just thinking about it.)

Williams and Daniels are the only guys that look even semi-ready to start immediately, in my dumbass opinion. There's lots of "Maye is the best" analysts out there, but I think even they concede that he'd benefit most from a year on the sideline.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If Williams is the pick and we have to trade up. What do we have to pay? Next years 1st is that enough or does it cost more?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I do think it's less likely now that we trade back. Unless we pick up another QB, we have to be looking for the new guy to start. I don't think anyone wants to see Mariota actually play. (I'm getting dry heaves just thinking about it.)

Williams and Daniels are the only guys that look even semi-ready to start immediately, in my dumbass opinion. There's lots of "Maye is the best" analysts out there, but I think even they concede that he'd benefit most from a year on the sideline.

I mean wrt Caleb or Maye or JD. I said a week or so ago that I didn't think trading back was in the plans because they probably wanted to have a signature 2OA pick to kick things off for the new era. Trading back is open to too much second-guessing.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I know ppl are saying the last 3 rounds are crap — but I don t think so.

The last 150 or so players are ever changing. Why would that happen if they all were on a cliff?
The issue is how many players who typically could/would declare for the draft, decided to stay in school because of Covid and NIL. Covid granted them an extra year to play football and NIL means some of them are being paid a similar amount to the NFL 5th, 6th, 7th round pay scale (which isn't guaranteed for the half of them who never make a roster). So the talent pool in the later rounds is consisting of guys mostly who would be UDFA in other years. Of the 150-250 ranked players who were eligible for the draft, very few of them declared.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
This, to me, spells out two possible scenarios, and neither include Drake Maye:

1. We trade up for caleb like I said before
2. We stay at #2, take daniels and possibly use some picks to trade back into the first for an LT

Many signs are pointing to Maye needing to sit for a while before he’s ready to play, whereas Williams/Daniels have been viewed as much more “pro-ready”. Without howell now, trotting out mariota is probably where this would be headed if we took maye. Maybe maye blows everyone away in camp but I don’t think Peters is inclined on taking that chance/keen on having mariota as anything but a backup mentor.

Imagine after Peters did all this work to revamp the team and killed it in FA, they then decided to name marcus mariota the starting QB. It doesn’t make sense

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think what happens to Howell is the “tell”.

A partially “project” QB (Maye, McCarthy etc) would mean keeping Howell. They cannot count on Mariota to lead them anywhere, he’s simply vet insurance. They sure didn’t sign him to start. No chance with his shrewdly things are being played out.

Howell deal before draft means staying at 2 and taking a “ready to start” QB (Williams or Daniels). No deal before the draft leaves everything on the table for them.
I am just quoting myself so I don’t need to repeat it.

This Howell trade just screams QB NOW!! So, it’s Caleb or Jalen.

It is the way

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The issue is how many players who typically could/would declare for the draft, decided to stay in school because of Covid and NIL. Covid granted them an extra year to play football and NIL means some of them are being paid a similar amount to the NFL 5th, 6th, 7th round pay scale (which isn't guaranteed for the half of them who never make a roster). So the talent pool in the later rounds is consisting of guys mostly who would be UDFA in other years. Of the 150-250 ranked players who were eligible for the draft, very few of them declared.
I’m simply talking about all the players that are in it, and have been in it the entire time.

It is a really good draft. Opposite of NHL. Next year in NFL isn’t we good as this year.

It’s still deep. Maybe 7th isn’t there, but when you read about ppls actual prospect boards, and the amt that they like for each position?

It’s a lot more than 4 rds. Closer to 225 player or so. That’s deep into the 7th.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Adding to the complications in Dallas

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I still think Howell is a legit starter in the NFL, but considering the direction it appears they're going and relative lack of trade value on the guy, I think it was a good trade to make.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Exactly. Could there be players in the 5th-7th that emerge as Pro Bowlers or significant contributors for their teams? Sure, but there seems to be a consensus among scouts that there is more of a drop off than usual after the 4th round due to COVID and NIL

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
They could easily want to take the receiver number 1, pretend they want Williams, trade with Washington, get all the picks and still get what they want.

That's why I said no trade til fields is gone
Exactly. And if we are going to spend next year's first in '24, spend it on getting us into position to get our franchise LT in the draft where there are 2 franchise guys available. There is no Alt or Fashanu in 2025, and even if there were, we'd likely be too low to get one based on the roster improvements this week.

Reactions: hotpaws

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I still think we trade up for CW or draft Maye at 2OA. I just have a hard time seeing us pass on both of them.

There’s a whole lot of smoke surrounding Daniels, so I won’t be totally shocked if I’m wrong though. I like him too.

It’s such an exciting time for this long suffering franchise. They could do a complete 180 in the next year or two.

Then again they could get a bad QB and suck for another five years 😂.

It’s going to be great theater…

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I still think we trade up for CW or draft Maye at 2OA. I just have a hard time seeing us pass on both of them.

There’s a whole lot of smoke surrounding Daniels, so I won’t be totally shocked if I’m wrong though. I like him too.

It’s such an exciting time for this long suffering franchise. They could do a complete 180 in the next year or two.

Then again they could get a bad QB and suck for another five years 😂.

It’s going to be great theater…
The more scouting there is, the more consensus is forming that DM needs some development time. It would be suicide for this team's development and spirit, with so many guys on one-year deals, to put Mariota out there as your starter by design. Agree with the folks who have stated if we were leaning DM, we'd have kept the credible starter in SH -- not because of their common origins but because SH could do at least a reasonable job in a better system behind an improved line while the draftee got schooled.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The more scouting there is, the more consensus is forming that DM needs some development time. It would be suicide for this team's development and spirit, with so many guys on one-year deals, to put Mariota out there as your starter by design. Agree with the folks who have stated if we were leaning DM, we'd have kept the credible starter in SH -- not because of their common origins but because SH could do at least a reasonable job in a better system behind an improved line while the draftee got schooled.

I think that’s a solid take, I just think AP and KK are not trying to recreate the 2020 Arizona Cardinals. They will both recognize that passing is the primo skill for a QB and Maye will be a better NFL passer when it’s all said and done. I bet KK in particular is sick of that. Just look at Maye’s first year as starter in an Air Raid offense. He was born to run it. He needs a little polish but he should be better than Howell on Day 1 and the coaches have 5 months to get him ready. DM will start over Mariota unless he’s absolutely dog shit. It’s happening if we can’t get Chicago to trade down.

To me this offseason screems “were
raising the bar across the board so our new QB has a chance right away”. I thought they’d perhaps punt on this season but they’re clearly not interested in doing that.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The signings and Howell trade gives them so much flexibility. They could trade up for a premier LT or just sit at 36 and take the kid out of BYU or whoever else falls. LT is loaded.

They’ll almost certainly have a great draft standing pat with LT and going with Legette (who they’ve met with already) at 40.

Or they could galaxy brain things and move 40 and their early 3rd for a stud like Brian Thomas or Chop Robinson. Then again maybe AP decides he wants his Gronk or Kittle and moves on Bowers if he falls past 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad