OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Dumb to trade a cost controlled QB away who proved he can be a starter. Mariota is completely totally washed.
Not starting mariota. We’re trading up for caleb now IMO. Trade might already be in the works/close to completed

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Howell had one of the lowest yds/att in the league among starters and still managed a league-worst 21 INTs. 1st Down % and QB rating also near worst.

The only guy he really beat out in some of those stats was probably Bryce Young, who was the only other QB with sacks in the 60s.

He's 23 and going into his 3rd year so maybe there's time, but he was not really a "proven starter". He was a guy who ended up starting.

The new regime clearly was not impressed and is cleaning house. That's fine with me.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
sucks losing the 4th, but 78>102 and 152>179
Damn just a pick swap. At least we did him right he wouldn’t want to be practice team quarterback.

Posted elsewhere:

With the Jimmy Johnson draft chart, that is about 118pts in our favor which amounts to a late 3rd... about pick #95 or 96 value.

Also, this draft is really stacked in the top 100 and softens a lot in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, like those rounds are mostly UDFA caliber players. Moving up is huge, but yeah, I would have liked to gain an actual extra pick here.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Posted elsewhere:

Also, this draft is really stacked in the top 100 and softens a lot in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, like those rounds are mostly UDFA caliber players. Moving up is huge, but yeah, I would have liked to gain an actual extra pick here.
Think of a late 3rd vs the 6th NE got for Mac Jones. Good job by Peters.

Loads of picks to replenish the team. Really excited for the draft!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Would have kept Howell if Maye was the pick because of their UNC history of being teammates.

See, I think that's a net negative. What's the benefit?

If they were QB/WR and had played together, yeah. That seems like a chemistry thing. But other than that they'd just have the ability to reminisce about Chapel Hill and college parties or something.

IMO this doesn't really signal anything either way.

Reactions: ynotcaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The return is really good and the Commanders now have 6 picks in the top 100. The Bears have 6 picks in the entire draft. I’m just sayin’.

Peters essentially got a late 3rd round pick for a guy who was selected in the 5th round two years prior and had one up and down season as a starter. Nice piece of business. It’s like the anti-Chase Young trade on a much smaller scale :laugh:

Also, dudes, how bad was Rivera at his job? They are straight taking dynamite to this roster. Can’t recall seeing such a stunning rebuke of a football roster in just one offseason, and it’s not even close to done yet.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Until the bears trade fields, I wouldn't do any trade with them. Do they take Williams while still having fields? Is this a fake where they know they are keeping fields and just getting more picks to take the receiver?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
So long, sweet prince. I am actually kinda bummed about this and will miss Howell. He played admirably in a tough situation behind a shit line and a terrible coaching staff.

Amen. I was hoping we'd hang on to him and have 2 shots at developing a real franchise guy, but that was looking more and more like a pipe dream over the last couple days.

Good that he's landing in Seattle. Not a bad situation overall, and with only Geno on the roster, Sam could make some noise there. Hope it works out for him.

April is going to be the most fun I’ve had with this team since like 2012.

Pfft, this is WAY more fun than 2012. In 2012 all the fun was about one pick and we knew who it was going to be. Now we've got the same pick, a shitload of other picks, a bunch of smartly-chosen new free agents, an owner that isn't a staggering shitblister, the first reputable front office we've had since before American Idol was ever a thing, a new coaching staff that might know when we're in an elimination game, plus we won't end up having to look at RG3's stupid face.

In fact, it's probably bad juju to bring up 2012 right now. You've gotta go do all the anti-superstition stuff now to get the jinx off. Throw salt at a ladder, put a rabbit's foot in a horse's shoe, staple a four-leaf clover to a back cat... Whatever. Look it up and get on it, STAT.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Another thing to consider: is the Bears front office really all that clever?

Do they have a master plan or are they just trying to keep quiet and see what happens?

Reactions: ynotcaps and Jags

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Posted elsewhere:

I know ppl are saying the last 3 rounds are crap — but I don t think so.

The last 150 or so players are ever changing. Why would that happen if they all were on a cliff?

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Another thing to consider: is the Bears front office really all that clever?

Do they have a master plan or are they just trying to keep quiet and see what happens?
They could easily want to take the receiver number 1, pretend they want Williams, trade with Washington, get all the picks and still get what they want.

That's why I said no trade til fields is gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad