OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Only if we can get a slew of futures, plus enough in the 2nd round (AZ or NE or SD) to get a QB (Penix, McCarthy, Nix)

How about this mock then?

PFN_MDS_Result__1706129649645.png

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I mean he coached at San Diego(college), Stanford and for the 49ers...he's a West Coast guy. Writing was on the wall before he even left Michigan. Easy to predict.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Would have been sad to root against RR, but yeah Fangio to Eagles scares me. That guy knows his shit.

I said when Wink went to NY Washington would feel the pain and they did. Don't want none of that smoke.

Hope the offense by alleged coach Johnson is able to counter.

That said as an aside I was listening to Keim analyze Johnson and he mentions Johnson doesn't have a specific system. But he knows how to utilize players to best fit their strengths. I'm eager to see what he can do here because he's resurrected Goff's career and made a lot of Lions offensive players look extra ordinary.

Knock on him is his short work experience.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
That said as an aside I was listening to Keim analyze Johnson and he mentions Johnson doesn't have a specific system. But he knows how to utilize players to best fit their strengths. I'm eager to see what he can do here because he's resurrected Goff's career and made a lot of Lions offensive players look extra ordinary.

Knock on him is his short work experience.

Johnsons resume is pretty similar to Joe Gibbs when he was hired. Gibbs was 41, Johnson is 37. Gibbs was never a head coach, and only an offensive coordinator for 3 years, but only 2 at San Diego where he really excelled. Johnson has never been a HC and only a coordinator at Detroit for 2 years. Both guys started in college but moved to the NFL after only a few years.

I think the point is, its really about the right guy and not the right resume. John Harbaugh had never even been an NFL coordinator or a HC at any level when he became the Ravens HC.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pretty happy with how this went. I planned on trading out of 2OA but the Bears took Maye first so I had to take Caleb. Traded down from 36 and 40 and picked up two 2nds and a 1st for next year plus still got quality players at OT, OC, and TE. Wouldn’t hate something like this at all… Rome wasn’t built in a day and letting Peters (and hopefully Johnson) get a year under their belt before having a ton of draft capital seems like a solid plan.

1706196138596.png

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pretty happy with how this went. I planned on trading out of 2OA but the Bears took Maye first so I had to take Caleb. Traded down from 36 and 40 and picked up two 2nds and a 1st for next year plus still got quality players at OT, OC, and TE. Wouldn’t hate something like this at all… Rome wasn’t built in a day and letting Peters (and hopefully Johnson) get a year under their belt before having a ton of draft capital seems like a solid plan.

View attachment 810131

Love it. I was able to pull off this huge haul for next year by moving way down and still got a QB. Check it out. Also secured a LT, RT, LG and C all in the 2nd round.

PFN_MDS_Result__1706131786697.png

* I still hate drafting for need but it is a hundred times more fun to sim for need.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Love it. I was able to pull off this huge haul for next year by moving way down and still got a QB. Check it out. Also secured a LT, RT, LG and C all in the 2nd round.

View attachment 810144

* I still hate drafting for need but it is a hundred times more fun to sim for need.
Now that’s I’ve done this 100 or so times, I now know all the players!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
This is my fear with Maye. He has all the tools except the NFL CPU. The big knock on him seems to be he's really bad under pressure. Like, much worse than his peers when they're under pressure. Like Sam Howell bad under pressure.

Sure, they can try to build the 91 Hogs to protect him like they did due Mark Rypien, but it's unrealistic. Scouting reports I've read say Daniels is much better under pressure, and he was under pressure a lot at LSU. Food for thought.
I can say from watching almost every LSU game this year, their line wasn't good. It wasn't Commanders bad, but it wasn't the quality that LSU lines usually demonstrate. (Something to keep in mind in a draft where we should should be picking a few OLs...)

If we were to draft him, it could go a couple of ways:
1) If our line isn't immediately much better, his escapability will be beneficial to a point, as long as he doesn't get too skittish and look to run too soon
2) If we do significantly improve the line play, we will see if he's able to develop the discipline to trust his protection and play more within structure
3) If we go into the season with the OL still tragically inept (say, key injuries in camp/preseason/early season), we stick the Crash Test Dummy back out there to save our investment until we can get a real OL in place

I'm having a couple different battles with Maye, as others have mentioned here:
1) I also like Howell at the start of his UNC career, and wrote off his last year to loss of weapons (sound familiar), and I also liked Trubiski (though not 2OA liked) -- different OCs for all, but in my mind, there's still a bit of Bama/OSU QB hangover effect (though they've finally started having some success)
2) There was another former pro scout breakdown of Maye that was really unflattering -- I'll try to find it and post it here -- and it made me pretty nervous

Reactions: kicksavedave

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
GB was great.

It’s Thursday, so that means it’s another edition of?

* Gordon * Encore Wednesday!!!

I have, on Beta somewhere, the redskins sidelines when riggo came out in a tux and top hat, ripped like after a dinner with Sandra Day. Glenn and Sonny couldn’t stop laughing, they gave it a go trying to keep the show on track, but alas it was too much.
I actually had a photo of Riggo in that get-up that was taken by Dick Darcy, legendary WaPo sports photog who was a friend of my parents.

That was the event where Riggo got so drunk he curled up under a table and told Justice O'Connor, "Lighten up, Sandy Baby!"

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

View attachment 810144

Dammit, you're really gonna' make me do this again...

We get Daniels and Alt, and the Giants' 1st next year (and every pick was within the top 5-6 listed players available by PFF's rank/draft position, i.e., no stretching for need)

1706203567687.png

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Dammit, you're really gonna' make me do this again...

We get Daniels and Alt, and the Giants' 1st next year (and every pick was within the top 5-6 listed players available by PFF's rank/draft position, i.e., no stretching for need)

View attachment 810209
Our D-Line would be horribad here though. I suppose that’s where the FA monies would come into play!

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That said, I think there is a LOT of merit to taking Alt or Fashanu really high (not #2 high… but 5-9ish). One of Nix/McCarthy/Penix will be available at 36 and/or 40. Then pick another BPA at either 36/40 based on whomever has fallen. Much like the Ravens always do.

Prob get a nice haul to move from 2 to 7ish range. And still get our top player (one of the OT’s would be there — or still Daniels as well).

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Our D-Line would be horribad here though. I suppose that’s where the FA monies would come into play!
There is very little OL help in free agency this year, but 5 of the top ten UFA's are DL, both interior and EDGE.

Plus, our overall defense was held back by the two morons in charge (JDR and RR) and they can be improved with just better coaching.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
That said, I think there is a LOT of merit to taking Alt or Fashanu really high (not #2 high… but 5-9ish). One of Nix/McCarthy/Penix will be available at 36 and/or 40. Then pick another BPA at either 36/40 based on whomever has fallen. Much like the Ravens always do.

Prob get a nice haul to move from 2 to 7ish range. And still get our top player (one of the OT’s would be there — or still Daniels as well).

I've consistently been able to trade the 2 for a 5-8 pick and land someone's 1st next year, then trade that 1st back into the later part of the top 10 to land both Alt and Daniels. Sometimes it backfires (the guys I want get taken before I can make the trade) and nothing is guaranteed, but I'll be dipped in dog shit if I'm going to sit around this draft season and not dream of swinging for the fences.

New ownership making the right moves has got me all fired up in the tingly parts and I haven't been this excited for a draft since RGIII. Thats 12 years ago, wow! Or the 1999 draft where we got Champ and Jon Jansen and NO's first the next year, which landed us Lavar and then Chris Samuels. I want some of that magic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad